Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

For me, a corrupt Tusla is just as frightening as a corrupt police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Meh, Leo was after Endas job at the time and this was just part of his strategy in positioning himself. As ever, he had one eye (at least) on the media.

On the Tuzla thing, it really is bizarre. If they honestly believed what was on their file, why on earth did they not act on it sooner? Is that how they'd normally deal with children they deem at risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Full on In The Thick Of It behind the scenes.

Im sure if Callinan decided to sing, the song would be heard all round Leinster House. Sadly, this is politics. Callinan was given a frictionless path to retire and get his handsome pension (300k up front and 85k a year for life) and who know, maybe there is more hush money somewhere. Also, if Callinan knows a few tales then Taylor knows them aswell and wouldn’t you know it he gets to retire early which was at the discretion of The Commissioner…why grant that so easily?

At a high level, Maurice Mccabe has achieved the impossible really. Against all the unbelievable odds he has come out the other side, in his wake there are serious questions to be answered by Callinan, Tusla and many others but we’ll probably just have to cut our losses on them unless we miraculously find the 20 or so phones…imagine reading those texts.

Again, sadly, this is politics – Callinan wanted to bury Mccabe, were the serving Ministers for justice aware or somewhat aware (I believe so) but they skirted the fine line between the two until the victor emerged.

It really is a shocking, chilling insight into the consequences of speaking truth to power in this country.
    The whole machinery of the state lined up against him, not giving a **** about him.

He could easily have been ruined.
    Fair play to John McGuinness as well.
    Always liked him.

And still there are people (like on this thread) prepared to muddy the waters and do exactly as above.
    Incredible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

trashcan wrote: »
    Meh, Leo was after Endas job at the time and this was just part of his strategy in positioning himself. As ever, he had one eye (at least) on the media.

On the Tuzla thing, it really is bizarre. If they honestly believed what was on their file, why on earth did they not act on it sooner? Is that how they'd normally deal with children they deem at risk ?

McGuiness and others were working away in the background and raising the issue but from memory alone, Leo was one of the first (if not the first) TD to publicly back McCabe, openly and by name.

"Distinguished is the word I'd use" he said.

Fair play to him I say. If you trace it back further again, the crusade only gathered real pace when Noel Brett went to Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Goldengirl wrote:

Leo has my respect for that particular action. He shares that respect with John McGuinness from FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,524 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I wonder how many other Gardai in the past were intimidated in order to shut them up

I keep being drawn to the Late Late Show years ago when Gay Byrne was the presenter. Haughey's and Lenihan and a few others were being interviewed. They told the story of being in a pub late at night when the local garda came in and took out his notebook. He was greeted by the words "do you want a pint or a transfer". The audience were in fits of laughter at the politicians scaring the sh1t out of the garda.
    I couldn't believe the reaction of the audience and the neck of the politicians to tell the story live on tv.
    I often thought of this and about another poor sod of a Garda called Geary?that the Sunday World reported on in the early 1970's who dared cross a politician by chasing him out of a pub late at night. He was transferred all around the country with his wife and young family until he hadn't a bean left. He resigned from the Garda as every time he settled in a new town or village he was then sent to the opposite end of the country.
    Things like this are not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Heighway61 wrote: »
    For me, a corrupt Tusla is just as frightening as a corrupt police force.

Tusla only came into being in 2013 as an independent agency to protect children. It's hard to fathom that senior members of the Gardaí would use it as a tool to silence a good and honourable family man.

It's beyond sick really.

Zappone should be asking a lot of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tusla only came into being in 2013 as an independent agency to protect children. It's hard to fathom that senior members of the Gardaí would use it as a tool to silence a good and honourable family man.

It's beyond sick really.

Zappone should be asking a lot of questions.

Tusla was just a rebranding for a section of the HSE. Same people doing the same jobs with a different email address.

I keep being drawn to the Late Late Show years ago when Gay Byrne was the presenter. Haughey's and Lenihan and a few others were being interviewed. They told the story of being in a pub late at night when the local garda came in and took out his notebook. He was greeted by the words "do you want a pint or a transfer". The audience were in fits of laughter at the politicians scaring the sh1t out of the garda.
    I couldn't believe the reaction of the audience and the neck of the politicians to tell the story live on tv.
    I often thought of this and about another poor sod of a Garda called Geary?that the Sunday World reported on in the early 1970's who dared cross a politician by chasing him out of a pub late at night. He was transferred all around the country with his wife and young family until he hadn't a bean left. He resigned from the Garda as every time he settled in a new town or village he was then sent to the opposite end of the country.
    Things like this are not new.

He had to live in a caravan so he could send money home to the wife and kids and keep the show on the road.

The man who owned that pub went on to become a justice minister.
    (Edit: or defense minister).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

davidmarsh wrote: »

Also went on to bug the phones of journalists. Marvellous CV.

Leo lost a bit of credibility there alright.

In any case, I don't think Frances Fitzgerald or Noreen O'Sullivan have been, in any way or at any stage, vindicated. Noreen instructed her legal team to attack McCabes integrity and Frances lied about knowing this at the time.

Charleton's report was a lowest common denominator exercise. But at least the whole country knows what happened now and can draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭AllForIt

McGuiness and others were working away in the background and raising the issue but from memory alone, Leo was one of the first (if not the first) TD to publicly back McCabe, openly and by name.

"Distinguished is the word I'd use" he said.

Fair play to him I say. If you trace it back further again, the crusade only gathered real pace when Noel Brett went to Leo.

Going by the doc it was E.Kenny that recognised the seriousness of the allegations in the Dail as presented to him via M.Martin so it wasn't Leo that was the first to take pressure off McCabe but Kenny and Martin. Not that doing the right thing in public office should warrant a special award, just a recognition of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

#mauriceforpresident

That's all I have to say on the matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I really find it difficult to believe that out of all the cases Tusla handle, that the one they make this cock-up on (cutting and pasting between reports? Is that their normal way of doing business?) just happens to be one could put everyone against Mr McCabe.

Qui bono? Those who wanted him to shut up.

I'd be checking everyone in that department and their extended families for connections to Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Goldengirl wrote: »

This is not new, been going on since the founding of the state. Problem is the AGS have been left to govern themselves for far too long, and get away with so much[/quote]

"I am the Accounting Officer". That's half the problem right there. Take that power away from the Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭AllForIt

spurious wrote: »
    I really find it difficult to believe that out of all the cases Tusla handle, that the one they make this cock-up on (cutting and pasting between reports? Is that their normal way of doing business?) just happens to be one could put everyone against Mr McCabe.

Qui bono? Those who wanted him to shut up.

I'd be checking everyone in that department and their extended families for connections to Gardai.

When I was in uni a few years ago as a mature student we had to mingle at the outset with students who were embarking on degrees in Social something or other which I guess gets them jobs in Tulsa etc. They were embarrassingly thick I recall, certainly for university level. I sense we have a problem with the low importance level we both expect in the role and the ppl we put in those roles and I suspect there is another scandal to come in relation to those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He had to live in a caravan so he could send money home to the wife and kids and keep the show on the road.

(Edit: or defense minister).

That case is here.
    https://magill.ie/archive/restore-my-character

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Also went on to bug the phones of journalists. Marvellous CV.

Not the same case but thanks for reminding us of another one.
    See above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just watched both episodes via the rte player on sky, almost an unbelievable tale, how that man has survived, I thought to myself, is absolutely surreal.

Unsurprisingly enough, his wife featured heavily on both part one and two, and undoubtedly in my mind, she was his rock that supported him, and he likewise to her, seemingly felt (understandably)that it was her, and the kids names at heart, as opposed to his own personal reasons , (or grudge) that he felt the impulse to go on and see the thing through to the end.

It's true what they say, behind every good man, is an even better wife.

Notwithstanding his old man (if I see 90 in as good a shape as that man, I'll be thankful) who backed his son, unquestionably throughout.

McCabe - I hope, lives to see a long and happy retirement.

Something rotten altogether about his ordeal, and I stand over my assertion that the whole sordid affair was akin to something from some far off corrupt country as Uganda.

Disgusting said Callinan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was a very powerful programme for sure, and RTE are to be commended on it.

As a father of young children, I found the child abuse claims made against him probably the most sad. How people in authority could organise for those claims to be made, pushed and then resurface on a report is beyond me. Its the lowest of the low, trying to paint an innocent man as a paedophile.

So sad that he said he stopped bathing his own kids, and when other kids visited he left the house. What a burden to have to carry.

But the saddest thing of all is that those who did all the damage are not able to be prosecuted for these deeds, but instead will lead a very financially secure retirement.

NIMAN wrote: »

As a father of young children, I found the child abuse claims made against him probably the most sad. How people in authority could organise for those claims to be made.

I presume you have some proof of this? That someone in authority organised a claim against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

bubblypop wrote: »
    I presume you have some proof of this? That someone in authority organised a claim against him?

Do you believe it was just an administrative error? Very few others do. I think we're right to be skeptical here given what else went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

NIMAN wrote: »

As a father of young children, I found the child abuse claims made against him probably the most sad. How people in authority could organise for those claims to be made.

How exactly did the copy and past error happen? Did the person who done that face diciplinary action?how did martin cullonane know of the tusla file so early on?if you can answer those questions it will remove alot of doubt.

You have a close Garda connection don’t you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

You have a close Garda connection don’t you?

That's unfair perhaps, BP is a concise poster, very helpful in such matters.

I had a quick google looking for inquiry into Tusla and found this

https://www.hiqa.ie/hiqa-news-updates/hiqa-publishes-terms-reference-tusla-investigation

It’s from 31 March 2017 and I found this bit interesting (not in a good way)

3. Exclusions from Scope of the Investigation as directed by the Minister

The Minister has specifically directed that the Authority, in its Investigation, should take all necessary steps to avoid the potential for overlap with the Tribunal of Inquiry established to inquire into certain protected disclosures, arising from the protected disclosures made by Garda Sergeant Maurice McCabe (the “Tribunal”). In particular the Minister has directed that any files “relating to allegations of child abuse that come within the terms of reference of the Tribunal and, in particular, files concerning allegations of abuse of children against members of An Garda Síochána, are formally excluded from the Authority’s investigations”.

Has the hiqa enquiry got under way? Can the terms of reference be adjusted to include files relating to Maurice McCabe? Can these stupid inquiry rules be changed so that criminal prosecution can arise from them if need be?

Edward M wrote: »
    That's unfair perhaps, BP is a concise poster, very helpful in such matters.

Sorry BP I should have probably worded that better. I’m not insinuating that you have a close connection to the whole Maurice McCabe thing I just thought I’d heard you mention before that you’re a Garda or have family members that are.

I would like to hear your opinion on the Tusla file though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think that we've only scratched the surface on alot of the mccabe stuff yet.i really don't find the explanation of the tusla error satisfactory. And the cancelling of the points. The i.t systems of the state sound frighteningly open to abuse and manipulation.

Advertisement