Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Drogheda seems to have turned into a war zone then....

Options

Comments

whelan2 wrote: »
    Parking in drogheda is terrible. Would put anyone off going in.

Ah I'm not sure I'd agree with that in fairness. The Haymarket is rarely full (I don't think it's ever been, even mid-Fleadh it still had the top two floors available). It's €1.30 per hour (so only 10c more than the CoCo machines) and it's fairly central.

I also find that, although it has gotten more difficult over the last 6 months, you'll generally get a parking space on Fair Street.

More on topic than that, though; I seen Mary St was closed down (not far from where the car bomb was a few weeks ago, outside the Church along there?), and €100k+ of drugs taken from a house in Moneymore.

I presume (hopefully wrongly) that Christmas day will be a busy day, as the Emergency services will be on the usual skeleton roster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

Two fellas nabbed in navan last night with pipe bombs destined for drogheda.

Cant believe another cinema going in, i doubt theres the business for two.
    Between southgate, scotch hall n laurence st there is some amount of units empty. The planners didn't care how sustainable they were, they saw the dollar signs with the rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The cinema in scotch hall is the begining of a phase, they have planning permission for a swimming pool and leisure centre in offices above the centre now, they are also seeking permission for the half built part to be build into apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is Iceland coming to scotch Hall too?

Would love that but doubt it! It's gonna be a ghost town come January.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Lashes28 wrote: »
    The cinema in scotch hall is the begining of a phase, they have planning permission for a swimming pool and leisure centre in offices above the centre now, they are also seeking permission for the half built part to be build into apartments.

I remember the same plans back in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Another security alert near McDonalds right now.
    Blue lights everywhere.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Because the current cinema is sh*te compared to Swords up the road.

Yep, more often then not aswell you get the most ignorant w*nkers talking, using phones or just doing anything annoying. I think at least one in two times going to that cinema something painful happens. Once the lights went on right at the movie climax! At the time what was funny was that nothing bad had happened up to that and I started to think things might be ok!

I know scotch hall have had a shell of "phase 2" up for years but how did they get permission for a cinema without objection from the other place in the town center or was there any? Or who objected and succeed regarding the imax that was proposed on the southside?

I know scotch hall have had a shell of "phase 2" up for years but how did they get permission for a cinema without objection from the other place in the town center or was there any? Or who objected and succeed regarding the imax that was proposed on the southside?

If I recall correctly, both cinemas were granted permission around the same time, but Scotch Hall, realising it wasn't worth their while (as the Arc was gonna be opened a lot faster) pulled the plug on the idea.

For some reason, though, now someone has convinced them that it's a great idea. Truth be told, if a few of the stores in there ended up in the Laurence's Centre, it could make that a nicer place. I actually quite like the design and layout of the Laurence Centre.

But I'd agree with the general consensus that two cinemas is overkill, and all that will happen now is a lot of spiteful competition until neither one is making any money. Then it'll just be a case of seeing which one can outlast the other.

Would it also be the only cinema around, that's being retrofitted into a building that already serves as a hotel and apartments (I presume the sound-proofing will be megabucks)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

furiousox wrote: »
    Another security alert near McDonalds right now.
    Blue lights everywhere.

Looked like a regular checkpoint at the old Xtravision shop when I passed by and a car being loaded onto a towtruck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Maybe Arc plan on moving to the new location? That would make more sense.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Maybe Arc plan on moving to the new location? That would make more sense.

Nope,it's gonna have a wine bar,to attract a more upmarket clientele, in Drogheda imagine 😂

Another shooting this afternoon. Says it all really when the breaking news update popped up on my watch and I wasn't even concerned by it. The usual suspects all lifted by Gardai again not long after it. I live close by and seen at least 2 taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

if they are taking them away, surly they have some evidence they can use against them and put them away off the streets

if they are taking them away, surly they have some evidence they can use against them and put them away off the streets

You would think so but not the case. 1 of them was back in the area last night drinking at his gate watching everyone driving by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is this violence down to ethnic minority group is that the reason the guards are afraid to go all in like they did in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

irishgeo wrote: »
    is this violence down to ethnic minority group is that the reason the guards are afraid to go all in like they did in limerick.

One of the gangs is travellers the other isn't , both as bad as each other tbf. I'm guessing it will take a murder or two before they're forced to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

IvoryTower wrote: »
    One of the gangs is travellers the other isn't , both as bad as each other tbf. I'm guessing it will take a murder or two before they're forced to sort it

If it gets sorted, there's no more juicy overtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    irishgeo wrote: »

Like limerick so and roy Collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Media are seriously overdoing it. Town in lockdown, armed gardai patrolling the streets. Ridiculous. They're patrolling cement road, moneymore and rathmullen. All's fine and dandy the other side of the wall (railway station bridge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

56,000 people in town and surrounding area. 5/6 lads killing each other.

Actually gas how it's being portrayed. Should be under control at this stage, bizarre how it's not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hoboo wrote: »
    Media are seriously overdoing it. Town in lockdown, armed gardai patrolling the streets. Ridiculous. They're patrolling cement road, moneymore and rathmullen. All's fine and dandy the other side of the wall (railway station bridge).

I've noticed an increased presence along the Dublin road near Southgate too. Counted 4 Gardai cars in the last 24 hours when I rarely ever see them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've noticed an increased presence along the Dublin road near Southgate too. Counted 4 Gardai cars in the last 24 hours when I rarely ever see them there.

That's probably because there was an apparent aggravated burglary in Deepforde yesterday!

Good oul Drogs. :pac:

Lord TSC wrote: »

Relish doing an all day special for uniformed workers. High level of gardai living in the area too, no reason to be up that end (other than the Bermuda Triangle in Grange Rath but they seem to leave those lads alone/don't know who they are)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

enricoh wrote: »
    Funding my arse, called into laytown cop shop last week - door locked, blinds drawn and doorbell disconnected. 5 cop cars outside it and could here them chatting away inside.
    Dunno what addition more gardai would be there!

Yes indeed what addition would Gardaí from the Meath division in a tiny part-time station in Laytown be to an ongoing feud in the Louth Division.

Maybe because Grange Rath (meath afaik) and Laytown/Bettystown house some of the biggest dealers in the country, who are above the guys in Drogheda?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Maybe because Grange Rath (meath afaik) and Laytown/Bettystown house some of the biggest dealers in the country, who are above the guys in Drogheda?

Presumeably you've passed on your in-depth knowledge of this organised crime gang hierarchy to Gardaí yea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Firebombing is typically about drug debts.

Advertisement