Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, Drogheda seems to have turned into a war zone then....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

More action (possibly averted) tonight judging from some fb posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hoboo wrote: »
    Theres only one site.

I was referring to countrywide. sorry.

I hate this kind of siege stuff. It must be absolute hell for those not involved.

Hope it gets sorted for the sake of law abiding citizens very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

bladespin wrote:
    More action (possibly averted) tonight judging from some fb posts.

Tell us more.

Posts about an armed checkpoint being rammed. It is fb so pinch of salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

bladespin wrote: »
    Posts about an armed checkpoint being rammed. It is fb so pinch of salt...

That happened on Friday night. There was also 2 cars set on fire in Ballsgrove on Saturday night. I presume it's somehow linked seen as that has been the M.O. of both sides so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭gipi

Scotty # wrote: »
    All the good work the Fleadh did to boost tourism to the town is gone down the drain.

I don't know what the solution is but this is all VERY damaging to the local economy and will be felt for years. I already know of one person who's backed out of a house purchase this week as a direct result of the negative media regarding the area.

I was in Bru last night, and it was as quiet as Calvary cemetery. Talking to one of the staff who said it's been like that for a week - he reckons it's related to the current events, people afraid to come out or travel. Worrying if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status/1064826892191186944

In his leaders speech to the Fine Gael conference on Saturday,LV was talking about tax cuts,and yet it seems we cant even afford proper law & order in County Louth because the funding isn;t there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pen123

If you are looking for the Guards in Drogheda, there is a good chance you'll find them in Noddle Box on West Street rather than the Cement Road or Moneymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

Funding my arse, called into laytown cop shop last week - door locked, blinds drawn and doorbell disconnected. 5 cop cars outside it and could here them chatting away inside.
    Dunno what addition more gardai would be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knoby

Did I not read an article a few months ago by Supt Watter's where he stated that towns in the region "Had not a Drug problem" seems to have the opposite opinion of Chief Supt Mangan. Have these clowns even a clue whats happening in our towns villages schools and crossroads week in week out,.
    They let this thing get out of control and its turning into a similar situation as Limerick 10 years or so ago, the dogs on the street know whats going on in every town village etc are these law enforcers/investigators going around with their eyes closed or maybe too engrossed in The Racing Post.
    I like everyone else know who the dealers are in my area as Im sure each and everyone on here know the dealers pushers in your area. Time to take them out one at a time, take their flash cars and trimmings off them and their social welfare houses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mary Street shut today cause they found a pipebomb in a house. Seemed to happen round 4, which would have meant all the kids who get buses there would have been close by.

100k worth of coke seized in in Moneymoore also https://www.lmfm.ie/news/suspected-pipe-bomb-discovered-at-a-house-in-drogh/

Traffic was backing up to Lidl on donore rd from around 3:30pm. Was worse around 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

I believe retail business in Drogheda is down substantially this December with many law abiding folk from the catchment area Afraid to go to Drogheda ... it’s sad how law and order has broken down in Ireland and businesses paying all their corporation tax etc suffer ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

hurler32 wrote: »
    I believe retail business in Drogheda is down substantially this December with many law abiding folk from the catchment area Afraid to go to Drogheda ... it’s sad how law and order has broken down in Ireland and businesses paying all their corporation tax etc suffer ??

Really? Is this based on any facts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Sterling is way down...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

what a load of nonsense. I'm in the catchment area and am in the town nearly every day to either go to the gym, coffee or lunch.

In reality law abiding folk have nothing to worry about - I lived in parts of dublin when I was a student that were rife with drugs gangs - never once did I have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

Really? Is this based on any facts?

I heard theres 4 units closing after crimbo in scotch hall, dunno if true or not but it was from a lad with a business in town that i wouldn't label a spoofer

enricoh wrote: »
    I heard theres 4 units closing after crimbo in scotch hall, dunno if true or not but it was from a lad with a business in town that i wouldn't label a spoofer

Those are closing to make way for the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Those are closing to make way for the cinema.

What cinema? I didn’t know it was getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Cinema and restaurant going in. New look and those shops down there leaving.

• Advertisement

Done most of my Christmas shopping in Drogheda (from Navan), looked pretty busy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

AFAIK, DP, Wallis, New Look and Evans are closing in January. DP, Wallis & Evans are part of the Arcadia group & are closing because their leases are up & because the cinema & wine bar will be going down the far end of Scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Not nearly enough business in the current cinema to warrant another one, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

bladespin wrote: »
    Done most of my Christmas shopping in Drogheda (from Navan), looked pretty busy to me.

Did a fair bit myself (from Balbriggan). Never gave this feud stuff a second thought.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Not nearly enough business in the current cinema to warrant another one, IMO.

Because the current cinema is sh*te compared to Swords up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Living in Balbriggan myself and love going to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

CheerLouth wrote: »
    AFAIK, DP, Wallis, New Look and Evans are closing in January. DP, Wallis & Evans are part of the Arcadia group & are closing because their leases are up & because the cinema & wine bar will be going down the far end of Scotch.

These closures have nothing to do with Drogheda.

DP, Wallis and Evans are all part of Arcadia Group who are in huge trouble financially in the UK and are downsizing their business.

New Look is similar and closing 85 of the 111 stores in Ire & UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i have a retail business in drogheda and its down the last 6 weeks.

it had been slightly up on last year all year up to then and we have had a significant number of customers (especially elderly ) voicing their concerns at been in the town due to the ongoing trouble.

As most of us know, drogheda retail is all over the place - 4 shopping centres ,all struggling where as if you go to Dundalk,Navan or swords it is all under one roof.

The drogheda council of that period should hang their heads in shame to allow and pass such applications but im pretty sure they did well out of it personally.

Droghedas in a terrible spot and laid out badly. If you live south you may go to the Pavilions or Dublin. North it's as handy to go to Newry and get the exchange rate.

Plus you've the two retail parks outside the town.
    Town centre is a mess between half of scotch hall closes and half the Lawrence's closed.

I wouldn't be blaming traveller violence. More the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Droghedas in a terrible spot and laid out badly. If you live south you may go to the Pavilions or Dublin. North it's as handy to go to Newry and get the exchange rate.

Plus you've the two retail parks outside the town.
    Town centre is a mess between half of scotch hall closes and half the Lawrence's closed.

I wouldn't be blaming traveller violence. More the circumstances.

Parking in drogheda is terrible. Would put anyone off going in.

Advertisement