Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midterm Elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

But surely democratic voters would be put off by that and republican voters would be voting republican anyway?

lesser of two evils is the logic for voting for him in that state. Better have someone who will vote with against Trump sometimes rather than a full blown Trumper.

Don't take the Kav vote seriously with him, he would have voted no if Collins was a no, those 2 are very shrewd operators and would have been in contact a lot before it was decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

FrostyJack wrote: »
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hannity has spent years s**t-stirring and giving life to outlandish conspiracy theories. He freely admits he is an entertainer. He is one step down from Alex Jones.

While I ain't a fan of Maddow she at least has journalistic integrity.

Ok I will concede that, maybe it was hyperbole on my behalf, still she cannot stand her style.
    She's good, but it takes her about a week to actually say anything which is pretty annoying. When she does get around to making her point, she's actually pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That homophobic hag Kim Davis lost her seat as county clerk... Hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Still loads of votes to be counted in 3 south east counties, which largely favour Democrats.
    Yeah. About 700k votes to go there, splitting roughly 2/3 Democrat. So a margin of approx 200-250k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Loads of rural counties still to report in Texas.

But...neither have Houston or El Paso yet reported either.

The county Houston is in is 16% of the entire state.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Republicans have held Kentucky 6. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Dems ahead in 21 GOP held districts. Need to pick up 21 seats to take the house...

KevIRL wrote: »
    Dems ahead in 21 GOP held districts. Need to pick up 21 seats to take the house...

Still 4/6 to regain the house, they were 1/8 an hour ago and were odds against not to long ago:P

GOP going better than expected in non-house races it seems.

Florida pretty much done now

This won't affect tonight's races obviously but potentially a huge development as regards future races there.

Voting is a right, not a privilege.

https://twitter.com/10NewsWTSP/status/1059985624588001281

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Still 4/6 to regain the house, they were 1/8 an hour ago and were odds against not to long ago:P

put a fiver on a tie in the house 100/1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The way that you guys are breathlessly reporting (at stupid o clock Irish time) preliminary results with a small proportion of votes in thus far is fascinating.

Personally, I’m not paying much attention to it. I get on an airplane in ten minutes, I figure that when I land at 22:30pm in California there might actually be realistic news. And if the Ds take the House as expected, then there was no point in getting worked up over it.

My suggestion, go to bed. Come back in the morning, rested, and with a good slew of data to chew over. The result will be the result.

manual_man wrote: »

Cant place any bets over here :(

Indiana senate looks like a win for GOP.

Cant place any bets over here :(

Are you living over there?

Incredible scenes if that happens.:P

Are you living over there?

Nope, just over for a few days with work

Incredible scenes if that happens.:P

odds were too good to pass up. still very unlikely. but i figured if Dems win the house it would be by a fairly narrow margin. time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The way that you guys are breathlessly reporting (at stupid o clock Irish time) preliminary results with a small proportion of votes in thus far is fascinating.

Personally, I’m not paying much attention to it. I get on an airplane in ten minutes, I figure that when I land at 22:30pm in California there might actually be realistic news. And if the Ds take the House as expected, then there was no point in getting worked up over it.

My suggestion, go to bed. Come back in the morning, rested, and with a good slew of data to chew over. The result will be the result.
    1pm here in Melbourne :)

Indiana senate looks like a win for GOP.
    Barely any votes in from Gary and Evansville two of the major population centres in the state.
    Going to be alot of close races I expect. Dems can't afford to lose Florida and Indiana or it could be a bad night at least Senate wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Some people enjoy politics like sports. Small wins like a tackle in a game can be exciting. Obviously the result at the end of the game is the most important but it is fun to watch the play by play. There hasn't been a more important election since 2016 world wide, I know that you don't see that as you are happy with some of the situation Trump or the GOP as created. The rest of us with a helicopter view need at least the House to turn to the Dems.

latest?cb=20141011043748

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm going to have to drink my own body weight in coffee in work tomorrow :(

Manchin holds

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Barely any votes in from Gary and Evansville two of the major population centres in the state.
    Going to be alot of close races I expect. Dems can't afford to lose Florida and Indiana or it could be a bad night at least Senate wise

Fair enough, does seem to be a lot of people of people calling Indiana for the Republicans though.:o

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1059988550358364161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So, about this "blue wave"?

When does it start?

Manchin holds

Was it ever a doubt? Strong Trump territory but gets it done,shrewd operator he is.

When does it start?

barely a ripple

Even if Beto can win Texas, it looks like the Dems are going to take a bit of a pounding in the senate.

Could easily be 55-45 at the end of the night.

Nelson still has an outside shot at Florida as I type, but Gillum is gone in the Governor's race. That's an absolutely sickening result given the gutter campaign run by De Santis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

barely a ripple

Yup, officially getting nervous now....

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Even if Beto can win Texas

Impressive if an Irish man can win in Texas, even with the vast amount of money behind him.

That's an absolutely sickening result given the gutter campaign run by De Santis.

Gillum is a black version of Jeremy Corbyn.

His loss is not surprising in a state with a sizeable jewish population.

When does it start?

Dems still fav to hold the house tbf:o

I have Sinema and O Rourke (big prices) to ensure the night is not a financial disaster. You backed Scott didn't you?

I have Sinema and O Rourke (big prices) to ensure the night is not a financial disaster. You backed Scott didn't you?

Sort of.... I backed the GoP to end up with 54 Senators..... as I figured Scott would take the seat, despite the CNN dodgy polling (+7% for the democrats f*cking lol at that)

So, I can afford to lose Arizona and still come in on target.

Not asking for figures but did you actually bet a decent amount on this?

Sort of.... I backed the GoP to end up with 54 Senators..... as I figured Scott would take the seat, despite the CNN dodgy polling (+7% f*cking lol at that)

So, I can afford to lose Arizona and still come in on target.

Fair play. You have the evil right wing war monger backed I assume?:p

• Advertisement

All of €20

Makin it rain baby!

Impressive if an Irish man can win in Texas, even with the vast amount of money behind him.

Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected. I still expect Cruz to win, but part of why the Dems pumped so much money in is as much strategically focused on the longer term.

You have the evil right wing war monger backed I assume?:p

Which one specifically?

I can afford to lose it. Its not pennies , but not exactly high rolling either. :p

Political betting is really good fun as you can get plenty of value as its so hard to call. You can also look like an idiot when you get it wrong.:o

Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

I had heard that ....

And it is amusing in a way.

Democrat run state, turned into a literal sh*t-hole with all the homelessness, public defecation and rampant TB.... so the whites pack up and move out, forgetting that it was their poor voting choices that made Cali what it is in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gillum is a black version of Jeremy Corbyn.

His loss is not surprising in a state with a sizeable jewish population.

Gwen Graham would've beaten DeSantis out the gate. But no, in a typical failure to pick their battles, the Dems pushed too progressive too early.

I had heard that ....

Democrat run state, turned into a literal sh*t-hole with all the homelessness, public defecation and rampant TB.... so the whites pack up and move out, forgetting that it was their poor voting choices that made Cali what it is in the first place!

It's frankly bizarre. Conversely some predict California could eventually turn red. LOL

Fox have called the house for the Dems supposedly.

https://twitter.com/henryolsenEPPC/status/1059997377296195584

Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

I had heard that ....

When Republicans governed Cali they created a giant debt crisis.

Homeless problems is a national issue in the US not just California. You can live on the streets year round in California and not worry about freezing to death six months of the year or getting killed by a hurricane...that's why it's enticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No need for the cap letters, its hardly a surprise outcome. Putting a check on Trump is job one.

The news cycle will be all Mueller within the next couple of weeks. Its pretty clear Bob had no desire to be accused of doing a Comey anywhere near a polling day so in fairness to him he has run silent, run deep for the last 6 weeks or so.

The maths are impossible now for Nelson in Florida.

Stacey Abrams is a long way behind in Georgia.

Democrats' Laura Kelly has taken the Kansas governorship. Kris Kobach is the highest profile Republican casualty so far tonight.

MSNBC projects Texas for Cruz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    MSNBC projects Texas for Cruz.

F**k.

I'm off to bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Lyin Ted wins

• Advertisement
Advertisement