Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midterm Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Even if Beto can win Texas

Impressive if an Irish man can win in Texas, even with the vast amount of money behind him.

That's an absolutely sickening result given the gutter campaign run by De Santis.

Gillum is a black version of Jeremy Corbyn.

His loss is not surprising in a state with a sizeable jewish population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So, about this "blue wave"?

When does it start?

Dems still fav to hold the house tbf:o

I have Sinema and O Rourke (big prices) to ensure the night is not a financial disaster. You backed Scott didn't you?

Rjd2 wrote: »

I have Sinema and O Rourke (big prices) to ensure the night is not a financial disaster. You backed Scott didn't you?

Sort of.... I backed the GoP to end up with 54 Senators..... as I figured Scott would take the seat, despite the CNN dodgy polling (+7% for the democrats f*cking lol at that)

So, I can afford to lose Arizona and still come in on target.

Not asking for figures but did you actually bet a decent amount on this?

Sort of.... I backed the GoP to end up with 54 Senators..... as I figured Scott would take the seat, despite the CNN dodgy polling (+7% f*cking lol at that)

So, I can afford to lose Arizona and still come in on target.

Fair play. You have the evil right wing war monger backed I assume?:p

• Advertisement

All of €20

Makin it rain baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Impressive if an Irish man can win in Texas, even with the vast amount of money behind him.

Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected. I still expect Cruz to win, but part of why the Dems pumped so much money in is as much strategically focused on the longer term.

You have the evil right wing war monger backed I assume?:p

Which one specifically?

I can afford to lose it. Its not pennies , but not exactly high rolling either. :p

Political betting is really good fun as you can get plenty of value as its so hard to call. You can also look like an idiot when you get it wrong.:o

manual_man wrote: »
    Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

I had heard that ....

And it is amusing in a way.

Democrat run state, turned into a literal sh*t-hole with all the homelessness, public defecation and rampant TB.... so the whites pack up and move out, forgetting that it was their poor voting choices that made Cali what it is in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gillum is a black version of Jeremy Corbyn.

His loss is not surprising in a state with a sizeable jewish population.

Gwen Graham would've beaten DeSantis out the gate. But no, in a typical failure to pick their battles, the Dems pushed too progressive too early.

I had heard that ....

Democrat run state, turned into a literal sh*t-hole with all the homelessness, public defecation and rampant TB.... so the whites pack up and move out, forgetting that it was their poor voting choices that made Cali what it is in the first place!

It's frankly bizarre. Conversely some predict California could eventually turn red. LOL

Fox have called the house for the Dems supposedly.

https://twitter.com/henryolsenEPPC/status/1059997377296195584

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Texas has changed massively demographically in recent years. A LOT have moved from California to Texas, so it wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

I had heard that ....

When Republicans governed Cali they created a giant debt crisis.

Homeless problems is a national issue in the US not just California. You can live on the streets year round in California and not worry about freezing to death six months of the year or getting killed by a hurricane...that's why it's enticing.

No need for the cap letters, its hardly a surprise outcome. Putting a check on Trump is job one.

The news cycle will be all Mueller within the next couple of weeks. Its pretty clear Bob had no desire to be accused of doing a Comey anywhere near a polling day so in fairness to him he has run silent, run deep for the last 6 weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

The maths are impossible now for Nelson in Florida.

Stacey Abrams is a long way behind in Georgia.

Democrats' Laura Kelly has taken the Kansas governorship. Kris Kobach is the highest profile Republican casualty so far tonight.

MSNBC projects Texas for Cruz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    MSNBC projects Texas for Cruz.

F**k.

I'm off to bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Lyin Ted wins

• Advertisement

I could never understand the optimism for some blue hipster taking a Senate seat in Texas.

Apart from Austin and the Western border, the Lone Star state is as red as a Fire Engine crashing into a London Bus.

10 days after 11 people were slaughtered by a white supremacist at a synagogue a few hundred miles down the road, actual Nazi and Holocaust denier Arthur Jones will get around 55,000 votes in his House race in Chicago, or around 26% of the vote.

Republicans, eh?

I'm sure his voters have "legitimate grivances", or something something.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I could never understand the optimism for some blue hipster taking a Senate seat in Texas.

Apart from Austin and the Western border, the Lone Star state is as red as a Fire Engine crashing into a London Bus.

Texas is the new North Belfast. It's always about 10 to 15 years away from flipping, and that'll still be the case in 10 to 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

2 horse race where very little difference no matter who wins.

A new system needed where people vote on issue using the same tech as e voting in Estonia.

Then people will have real democracy.

So everything going as expected, but with less of a majority in the House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Kind of disappointed with that. I had hoped there would be an outright rejection of all the craziness we have witnessed in the last 2 years. Even the last two weeks alone. Sure democrats have made some gains but nothing groundbreaking. The Trumpsters will see this as a win and take it into 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Still a good night for the Democrats tbf. The Senate was always a big long shot.
    Winning the house is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

yeah but it could have been alot better, it depresses me to think how so many people could vote for a party led by this pyschotic buffoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

True, but Trump had shown in 2016 that there's plenty of people in America like his xenophobia and racism.
    His base is very real. No matter what he does in the next 2 years, he'll still get at least 48% of the popular vote in 2020.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I almost feel bad for non-Americans who forget party allegiance. The spin that this was a vote for or against Trump was created to get out a contingent of lazy voters. It isn't real and the vast majority of Americans know that, because they understand that voters just go with party.

Advertisement