Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No. Irish is the official language of the state. Speaking it doesn't make you unique.

They are Catholic but they have their own customs unique to that.

And shelta may be a mix up of languages but it's still unique.

No

Just answering the question. Not defending anything.

What customs exactly ?

I'd be curious to know

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tretorn wrote: »
    Isnt the bit bolded in your post the whole point of the thread, everyone except the travellers are just living their lives beside their neighbours and getting on with it. They arent moaning about discrimination and looking for ethnic status, they are too busy working and paying bills and doing their best to get their children educated, they havent the time to be navel gazing about their ethnicity and nor do they have paid organisations like Pavee Point to indulge their whining.

No not really.

It's the point of the thread that angry people picking a single group of individuals as the core basis for all the countries problems are in the minority and no shouldn't be acknowledged as speaking for us all.

The shouty loudest bunch are always the ones shouty and loud. Hence the stuff on tubs twitter.

No different to shouty loud ignorant people giving it socks at a customer service desk in the shopping centre abusing the staff member while the majority of other shoppers look on in shock

The vote tally of the election demonstrated that shouty loud people are in the minority.

Shouty loud angry usually single minded .

Everyone else..... Exhausted listening to them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What customs exactly ?

I'd be curious to know

The big huge dresses:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

And then went onto attack SEMS.

You are entitled to your opinion on what he did, as am I.

Can you tell us how he attacked anybody in that interview??

You are making a very serious accusation that you need to support with actual parts of the interview that support your accusation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yes, a peaceful group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Panch18 wrote: »

You are making a very serious accusation that you need to support with actual parts of the interview that support your accusation

You ain't going to get an answer other than its his opinion that Casey made an attack. Best to ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

listermint wrote: »
    Bile, negativity , unbridled anger , hatred.
    Are you ?

Why do you hang around the internet being angry all the time
    And yes you come across as a very angry person
    If one person stops and says actually yeah he might have a point there's no need for this unadulterated anger at everything. Then I've at least impacted someone for a minute.
    Obviously I don't because I don't have anger.

I think your might confuse perplexing with anger.
    People need alot more clarity on their thoughts they come across as a machine gun of anger at everything and everyone.
    Any equally to target them for special treatment of Ire , anger and vilification comes under the same umbrella
    If it's not obvious to you that its usually angry people angry about something that are the loudest then I suggest getting a job in a customer service department for a week.

Everyone else is just out there living their lives beside their neighbours just getting on with it. Not being angry all the time.

Seriously, change the record or invest in a thesaurus. That's over the last 24 hours. Not everyone who disagrees with you is furious/cross/upset..... angry

• Registered Users Posts: 66,885 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems there are a lot of people making that 'accusation' about Peter.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%27peter+casey+attacks%27&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilw6K93LreAhXqIMAKHWuDCFsQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=833

Maybe he has a big payday coming when he sues us all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

No not really.

It's the point of the thread that angry people picking a single group of individuals as the core basis for all the countries problems are in the minority and no shouldn't be acknowledged as speaking for us all.

The shouty loudest bunch are always the ones shouty and loud. Hence the stuff on tubs twitter.

The vote tally of the election demonstrated that shouty loud people are in the minority.

Shouty loud angry usually single minded .

Everyone else..... Exhausted listening to them

Ah heor, hyperbole much?
    I cant recall anyone saying they're the core basis of our society's ills or problems.

Rural crime is a problem
    Criminality is a problem
    Homelessness is a problem
    Social welfare is a problem
    Waste disposal is a problem
    Insurance fraud is a problem
    Domestic violence is a problem
    Disability rates are a problem
    Recidivism is a problem
    Fraud is a problem

Travellers feature in a lot of specific examples of all of the aboce. Disproportinatey it seems. Travellers and non travellers alike, but to dicuss such prevalence isnt racist or bigoted.
    Its factual.
    Not angry.
    Rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Then act like that quote. Please. Act like it.

Demonisation and vilification is what this thread has been.

Nothing more. That line does not describe this thread.

My post above is exactly what this thread is about. Everyone should watch it.

Everyone
    What an absolutely deluded post, honestly. You made a few out there comments, but that takes the biscuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Omackeral wrote: »
    I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Can I claim ethnicity based on that? I had shared religious customs with others that are unique to the wider community. It's just the definition is a bit wishy washy is all. Not having a go at you btw, you're providing answers.

You can certainly try.

So catholic’s with a bit of “cant” are now a different ethnicity in Ireland??

Sure

What customs exactly ?

I'd be curious to know

Why don't you head on down to a halting site the next time one of them passes and you can find out.

Seems there are a lot of people making that 'accusation' about Peter.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%27peter+casey+attacks%27&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilw6K93LreAhXqIMAKHWuDCFsQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=833

Maybe he has a big payday coming when he sues us all?

So yet again you fail to answer the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

huh?

So and huh ? your as elequent as francie eotr . isnt shift work tough for you guys

in this thread as in many others you have been exposed you and your comrades:D:D:D:D

You can certainly try.

Sure

Why don't you head on down to a halting site the next time one of them passes and you can find out.

Ok so basically you’ve got nothing either

So yet again you fail to answer the question

Yep, I guess so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can anyone provide a definition for what a Traveller is and what it is specifically that makes them distinct from everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Phoebas wrote: »
    To be honest I can't take you too seriously because an hour ago you said 'he was asked a question about the community in question'.
    He wasn't. That was a blatant untruth.

It says a lot about you that you can't accept when someone admits to making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can anyone provide a definition for what a Traveller is and what it is specifically that makes them distinct from everyone else?

https://www.paveepoint.ie/irish-travellers-and-roma/

Takes kids out of school before age 15? Check.

Marries kids off to cousins or second cousins while still in their teens? Check

High probability of having a criminal record or having spent time in prison? Check

High probability of having perpetrated or experienced domestic abuse? Check

High probability of having no job and claiming social welfare, yet having unexplained sources of wealth when it comes to new vehicles, lavish wedding and First Communion celebrations, etc? Check

History of violence / feuding / bare-knuckle fights with other Traveller families? Check

Noted disregard for property, the environment, and animal welfare? Check

Like it or not, the above are what make Travellers into Travellers in the eyes of the public. It has little or nothing to do with their ethnicity.

This is the diversity that the rest of the country see in the traveller community. Wow, this sure needs to be protected and cherished:rolleyes:

I was going to add something else to my post about 2 traveller girls I saw in Mothercare yesterday but I won't bother because I'll just be told that "anecdotal evidence" means nothing

elperello wrote: »
    Irish Travellers have been documented as being part of Irish society for centuries. Travellers have a long shared history, traditions, language, culture and customs.
    The distinctive Traveller identity and culture, based on a nomadic tradition, sets Travellers apart from the sedentary population or ‘settled people’.
    Accepting, resourcing and celebrating Traveller identity, culture and heritage is a central element in any strategy to counter discrimination and the exclusion and marginalisation of Travellers.

That still doesn't explain them.

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    This is the diversity that the rest of the country see in the traveller community. Wow, this sure needs to be protected and cherished:rolleyes:

I was going to add something else to my post about 2 traveller girls I saw in Mothercare yesterday but I won't bother because I'll just be told that "anecdotal evidence" means nothing

You can look at any community through 'prejudiced' glasses.

The British, for instance could have created a similar list (many still would) about settled Irish people at one time.

I think some of you people may want to stand back and maybe you will see what you are doing.

Casey knew IMO that many wouldn't stand back and would jump to their keyboards and to his name on the ballot paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If i put a certain poster on ignore I wonder will the number of visible posts on this thread half ?

You can look at any community through 'prejudiced' glasses.

The British, for instance could have created a similar list (many still would) about settled Irish people at one time.

lol you do realise that that old british attitude towards irish people is biased on the actions of Irish travellers living and thieving in the uk and not "settled" Irish people , the brits just didnt draw a distinction

your party propaganda has misinformed you again :)

good to see you back francie eotr was crap at this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Ok so basically you’ve got nothing either

Nothing on what?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    lol you do realise that that old british attitude towards irish people is biased on the actions of Irish travellers living and thieving in the uk and not "settled" Irish people , the brits just didnt draw a distinction

Flabbergasted at the grasp of actual history in this post.

Flabbergasted at the grasp of actual history in this post.

yeap its hard to believe facts when your used to twisting and manipulating history to suit your own party policy's isnt it ??

yeap its hard to believe facts when your used to twisting and manipulating history to suit your own party policy's isnt it ??

Just let me get this straight:

The historical British prejudice against the Irish is based on their inability to separate the Irish traveller from the settled Irish.

Is that what you are saying here?

I don't have or belong to a party btw.

Just let me get this straight:

The historical British prejudice against the Irish is based on their inability to separate the Irish traveller from the settled Irish.

Is that what you are saying here?

I don't have or belong to a party btw.

Flabbergasted at the grasp of actual understanding in this post. :D:D

every other post you make in every other thread champions one specific party and ideology along with a few of your fellow bots , every one here knows it and like i told your comrade your fooling no one :pac::pac:

i see the boys are deployed in another tread this morning towing the party line

Flabbergasted at the grasp of actual understanding in this post. :D:D

every other post you make in every other thread champions one specific party and ideology along with a few of your fellow bots , every one here knows it and like i told your comrade your fooling no one :pac::pac:

i see the boys are deployed in another tread this morning towing the party line

Water off a ducks back on the SF bot point. Believe what you wish on that.

Can you tell me now, is this what you are claiming?

The historical British prejudice against the Irish is based on their inability to separate the Irish traveller from the settled Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Was on the train this weekend and a Traveller family were freeloading. Where the inspector told them they'd have to buy a ticket or get off at the next stop, the guy started hurling abuse and smacking the walls until the inspector said he could go to the stop after that.

Folks on the train were like 'Peter Casey all the way'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement