Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note: listermint thread ban was lifted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

and rte abided by that legislation.

even if he was likely to get elected, which is doubtful, he won't be able to do anything about the issues he is pretending to care about.

and what is his plan to deal with that issue?

given he failed to get elected as president, what makes you think he has a chance of being taoiseach? him and his politics and views were rejected hard by the vast vast majority of the voters.

thankfully what makes travelers into travelers in the eyes of some of the public, is irrelevant to what makes them travelers in actual reality.

God between us and all harm, are you saying the reality is worse.
    How can it get much worse than brawling in front of a Garda station in broad daylight in Galway.
    Does it get much worse than mother of seven clearing clothes racks in Penneys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

thankfully what makes travelers into travelers in the eyes of some of the public, is irrelevant to what makes them travelers in actual reality.

So what is it exactly that makes travellers “travellers”. What exactly is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

**** them.

I see Richard Hillman is loving you plan to burn them out. No surprises there.

So what is it exactly that makes travellers “travellers”. What exactly is it?

• Advertisement

If you are that much of an entitled twat that you turn down free housing for lack of land and a stable then you deserve it.

Deserved to be burnt out of your home. That's pretty psychotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well if anyone else was to take the houses, I think the houses burning is quite a likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fin12 wrote: »
    Why won’t be be able to do anything about the issues he has talked about?

He needs time to sit down with his advisors and come out with the best policies, this isn’t something he can just come out with at the top of his head.

Because we all know about Peter Casey and he will have a lot more time when campaigning for Taoiseach.

because he is unlikely to become taoiseach. if he joins a party, he will have to abide by the party line. if he goes independant, chances are his ideas will be voted against. he may have a lot more time when campaigning for taoiseach, but given he was overwhelmingly rejected for the president, then it is even more likely he would be rejected for taoiseach, a job that has a lot more responsibility.
    tretorn wrote: »
    God between us and all harm, are you saying the reality is worse.
    How can it get much worse than brawling in front of a Garda station in broad daylight in Galway.
    Does it get much worse than mother of seven clearing clothes racks in Penneys .

both of those are not traveler specific issues. it just so happened that travelers were involved in the specific cases discussed (all though in the fight outside the garda station it was a traveler and a non-traveler) from what i understand.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I see Richard Hillman is loving you plan to burn them out. No surprises there.

Particularly after what he tried to do to Gail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

both of those are not traveler specific issues. it just so happened that travelers were involved in the specific cases discussed (all though in the fight outside the garda station it was a traveler and a non-traveler) from what i understand.

While fights, illegal and anti-social behaviour are not exclusive to travellers, the average traveller seems to cause a lot more problems than the average settled non-traveller person.

That does lead me to believe that the problem is widespread and not due to 'just a few bad apples'.

• Advertisement

Travellers dont finish education so any work they can find will be low paid and they have no hope of work unless they have a fixed address.

actually, some of them do finish education, and the numbers are growing.
    The fixed address means bills and responsibilities and not ringing the council to tepair damage done and collect rubbish etc

as i understand it, if the council owns the house then as landlord they are responsible by law to make certain repairs to the house.

traveller culture involves living on handouts from everyone else( including begging at doors)

really?
    Its not the individual traveller that employers could be financially induced to employ,

yes it is

its the fact that employers wouldnt trust the individual not to give information to traveller criminal elements, once bitten twice shy.

that would only ever be a small part of it, even in the event that it is a part of the reason at all. the main reason is simply the fact they are a traveler.

Have you ever spoken or even been within ten km of a traveller listermint, if not take your nose out of your sociology lecture notes and go and visit a few halting sites.

i have spent plenty of time with travelers, having traveler friends. yes i have met the odd traveler who i would like to have nothing to do with and i'm aware there are a number of individuals within the traveling community who are problematic. the difference is that i take people on the basis of their individuality rather then simply "traveler = bad"
    I still cant believe elderly people are opening doirs to unknown people though I suppose if you dont open the door criminals will come in the window. I had the Romas around last christmas, they turned up singing carols tunelessly and I ran them. An older msn living alone let one in to use his bathroom and they ransacked his house. Another family discovered Romas were calling to their elderly mother regularly “for tea”, their mother had early inset dementia and the Roma were emptying her purse every week and had the full run of her house.

absolutely nobody should simply open the door to an unknown. things like asking "who is there" or looking out a window to see who it is should be the norm. people should be regularly checking on their elderly relatives as well.
    What can you say or do, the Gardai do their best and when I rang them about “ the choir” they responded immediately. I saw them stopping a Roma woman recently and they searched her double buggy, I heard them telling her she was a disgrace so the two children must have been sitting on stolen property.
    My sons phone was stolen in a night club and the Gardai told him Roma gangs fly in and steal hundreds of phones in one night and then fly back out again. I suppose the Roma are a disadvantaged put upon group too, big resigned sigh.

well yes, actually they are a disadvantaged put up on group. however, that doesn't stop the criminal element from being dealt with, as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

i'm aware there are a number of individuals within the traveling community who are problematic.

What do you mean by "problematic"?

Do you think it's a large number of individuals or a very small amount?

Particularly after what he tried to do to Gail

I mean, we all had a little sympathy there. Maxine though, that was unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has Casey or any Caseyites got solutions to the obvious problems in the travelling community. Problems nobody is denying exist. Including tavellers representative groups themselves.

Anyone got practical solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Has Casey or any Caseyites got solutions to the obvious problems in the travelling community. Problems nobody is denying exist. Including tavellers representative groups themselves.

837 posts on this thread.

Don’t you have some pigs to kill or neighbors to torment?

Integration!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Let Casey run Pavee Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

actually, some of them do finish education, and the numbers are growing.

as i understand it, if the council owns the house then as landlord they are responsible by law to make certain repairs to the house.

really?

yes it is

You are having a laugh, certain repairs, have you any idea how much councils are spending on the upkeep of traveller accomodation.
    Does burning a perfectly good house to the ground while whining that the Government discriminate against your community come under general repair.
    You get a good grasp of why travellers are stuck in a squalor of their own making when their cheerleaders come up with this nonsense, their cheerleaders like the travellers are all paid by the taxpayers, no criticism is allowed in case funding is cut.

837 posts on this thread.

Don’t you have some pigs to kill or neighbors to torment?

what has his post count, pigs or his neighbours got to do with anything?
    You are having a laugh, certain repairs, have you any idea how much councils are spending on the upkeep of traveller accomodation.
    Does burning a perfectly good house to the ground while whining that the Government discriminate against your community come under general repair.
    You get a good grasp of why travellers are stuck in a squalor of their own making when their cheerleaders come up with this nonsense, their cheerleaders like the travellers are all paid by the taxpayers, no criticism is allowed in case funding is cut.

deliberately burning a house to the ground is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement

The insurance companies are getting to grips with false personal injury claims and no prizes for guessing which members of our community are over represented in personal injuries claims.

Its about time the Insurance companies tackled this problem because its us fools who payy insurance and road tax who have been funding these payouts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/court-directs-60k-fraudulent-insurance-claim-be-reported-to-garda%C3%AD-1.3291459

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2768170/julieanne-joyce-taxi-claim-thrown-out/

they are trying to deal with the problem. there is only so much they can do.

Its all part of the culture

really? are you sure about that? i haven't saw anything to show that this is a part of traveler culture.
    and the Gardai dont have the expertise or the manpower to prosecute fraudsters.

they don't have the manpower, but they do have the expertese to prosecute fraudsters. they do it regularly i'd imagine.
    There should be a dedicated unit set up within the Gardai to deal with these people even if its funded by the insurance companies themselves. I would have no problem in paying extra for car insurance if it meant people would be prosecuted for these crimes.

the gardai have a dedicated fraud unit i thought. if you want one specifically for insurence fraud or travelers then it's not going to happen.

Well the travellers could be stop being so entitled as to turn down free houses. We might hate them less if they did.

i'd doubt it. i have a feeling that you would hate them regardless. turning down non-free but subsidized houses is not a traveler specific issue.

Thats exactly it and in the Tipperary horse and house case the travellers said they never asked for the houses. They dont want inclusivity,they want local authorities to buy sites for them so they can live with their personally chosen extended clan beside them. They will bring up their children in filth and squalor rather than live beside someone they dont want to be beside. Giving them ethnic status only led to less understanding on their behalf about how unreasonable they are.

on what basis do you assert that "Giving them ethnic status only led to less understanding on their behalf about how unreasonable they are"
    and on what basis do you state that they are unreasonable?
    I wonder will Tubridy make any reference on his radio show tomorrow to the criticism he got on twitter over his totally biased interview with Peter Casey.

As a very unwilling licence fee payer to RTE I would like management to review that interview and call Tubridy to account over it.

no as there was nothing byassed about that interview. being challenged isn't byass. there is nothing to review, nothing to call tuberty to account for here.

I would expect RTE management to do their job without having to be asked by people who directly pay their wages.

If RTE management having read the twitter criticism and having watched Tubridys petulant childish behaviour still dont think there is cause for concern then RTE is no longer an objective professional broadcaster.

how so. sometimes there is nothing that is a cause for concern, nothing that needs action taken against it. casey being unable to answer a question he was asked is nothing to do with tuberty or rte or byass. he simply had no answers so waffled his way through.
    Isnt the bit bolded in your post the whole point of the thread, everyone except the travellers are just living their lives beside their neighbours and getting on with it. They arent moaning about discrimination and looking for ethnic status, they are too busy working and paying bills and doing their best to get their children educated, they havent the time to be navel gazing about their ethnicity and nor do they have paid organisations like Pavee Point to indulge their whining.

that's not the point of the thread from what i can see. discrimination is a very real issue for the traveling community whether you like it or not, and an ethnic status as they are an ethnic minority, insures greater protections for what is a margionalised community. that is why they have an organisation to represent them. if you want an organisation to represent you, then go ahead and set one up.

I take it you never read/watched The Butcher Boy.

no but i'm not sure what it has to do with francie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i'd doubt it. i have a feeling that you would hate them regardless. turning down non-free but subsidized houses is not a traveler specific issue.

I have to ask.
    How are they not free?

Or, if as you say "subsidised", who is the other party along with the state funding these houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

no but i'm not sure what it has to do with francie?

Francie Brady is the main character in the book.

My favourite Irish novel, about a child who the neighbours/townsfolk cannot get past their prejudices about. He eventually looses his mind and kills one of them.

deliberately burning a house to the ground is a criminal offence.

You need to get out and see what is being done to halting sites and houses by travellers around the country.

They are nothing short of a disgrace. And it is not 1 particular family or 1 particular halting site/housing estate, it’s the majority of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Integration!

That's not how you spell education!

And education doesn't just mean forcing travellers to send their kids to school - it means spending bucket-loads of cash on extra supports for children (and not just traveller children) whose parents, due to their own lack of education, aren't in a position to provide sufficient support themselves.

Then there's the suicide problem - something that doesn't get mentioned much by those who hate travellers. Male travellers are far more likely to go to prison than the rest of the population. They're also far more likely to kill themselves. Could it be that the threat of prison poses very little fear when you couldn't really care less whether you live or die anyway? I've no idea how that problem could be solved, but I suspect a lot of it comes back to education, or lack thereof.

Housing is another one - oh no, free houses, etc, but how can someone hope to get an education when they're being moved from pillar to post for their whole childhood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That's not how you spell education!

And education doesn't just mean forcing travellers to send their kids to school - it means spending bucket-loads of cash on extra supports for children (and not just traveller children) whose parents, due to their own lack of education, aren't in a position to provide sufficient support themselves.

Then there's the suicide problem - something that doesn't get mentioned much by those who hate travellers. Male travellers are far more likely to go to prison than the rest of the population. They're also far more likely to kill themselves. Could it be that the threat of prison poses very little fear when you couldn't really care less whether you live or die anyway? I've no idea how that problem could be solved, but I suspect a lot of it comes back to education, or lack thereof.

Housing is another one - oh no, free houses, etc, but how can someone hope to get an education when they're being moved from pillar to post for their whole childhood?

Education is critical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

In fairness, they seem to live in a very narrow minded way, if you were gay or wanted to go to college or something or didn't like fighting or maybe didn't want to join in on criminal activities you're going to have a hard time fitting in in the traveller community. No wonder so many of them take their own lives. That's their own fault though, so I find it hard to really sympathise.
    Education isn't their jam, so that's going to restrict them in many ways. Why should we have to pay for social workers to go in and literally drag the kids to school every day? They need leaders from their own community to get kids educated because so far the only people who seem to care about that are non travellers. It seems to be quite a toxic culture - 85% of traveller women have been phsyically abused by their partner. Hardly a nice environment for any of them to live in, but they don't seem to want to change. If they didn't impose on the rest of our lives I wouldn't care, leave them to it living in squalor and killing themselves, but they rubbish the countryside and are heavily involved in crime, so something needs to be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement