Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting looking at the Indos Kim Bielenberg twitter page after he wrote a predictable media bashing article on Peter Casey yesterday. His only criticism of Tubridys interview was that he cut off the travellers too quick.
    There was a follow up tweet from one the Tipperary travellers who said they never asked for houses in the first place, never mind stables.

https://twitter.com/Love1solidarity/status/1057219620602630144

• Registered Users Posts: 13,266 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

mynamejeff wrote: »
    yeap its hard to believe facts when your used to twisting and manipulating history to suit your own party policy's isnt it ??

That was a fairly bizarre post from you in fairness. Certainly the only person who has ever come up with it.

I voted Casey, then Freeman and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You can look at any community through 'prejudiced' glasses.

The British, for instance could have created a similar list (many still would) about settled Irish people at one time.

I think some of you people may want to stand back and maybe you will see what you are doing.

Casey knew IMO that many wouldn't stand back and would jump to their keyboards and to his name on the ballot paper.

What a prescient fellow Mr Casey is proving to be,as you say yourself 342,727 people jumped,in unison,to their keyboards and also gave a number 1 preference for the man.

Quite a common occurence in Irish electoral situations ....Yes ?

I would suggest that looking through predjudiced glasses,is not a one-way process in this particular Irish issue,as can be evidenced through many decades of the negative experiences of non-traveller folks in Ireland ?

The Brits,in this case,have sweet FA to do with this thread topic,except perhaps to reinforce "our" racist bias occasionally....yes ?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/furious-residents-stop-travellers-moving-10648176

Mind you,it appears Irelands long running attempts to address the issues have'nt gone unappreciated either....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45479975

The Irish option
    Mr Selous and Mr Francois were among those arguing for the government to emulate Ireland, which in 2002 made deliberate trespass a criminal offence.

The knock-on effect of this change has been that more travellers have arrived in England from Ireland, as "we are regarded as something of a soft touch", Mr Francois added.

A change in the law would give police greater power to move travellers on.

"If they did not do so, they could be arrested, and their vehicles could be impounded - which, believe you me, would be a very powerful deterrent to the travelling community."

In response, communities minister Kit Malthouse told MPs the communities secretary had recently met the Irish government to discuss their approach.

Them damn Brits !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Was on the train this weekend and a Traveller family were freeloading. Where the inspector told them they'd have to buy a ticket or get off at the next stop, the guy started hurling abuse and smacking the walls until the inspector said he could go to the stop after that.

Folks on the train were like 'Peter Casey all the way'

hmmm. Talk about generalising. Try travelling on Luas everyday. Hundreds of incidents like this and I am not sure I have ever seen a traveller involved (although I am sure it happens).

I don't think evading train fares (which is almost impossible for most journeys these days given how stations are designed is a traveller thing and I don't think that causing ruction on public transport is a strictly traveller thing.

I also do not believe other passengers would have reacted like that. It just doesn't happen. Most people freeze and turn their heads away when confrontation happens on public transport .

Banging the walls.........yep.

Lots of ways to negatively generalise travellers but this just seems like an incident that happens on public transport sometimes, this time just happen to be a traveller, if it did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The Irish travellers with their usual scamming are active in Australia and are giving decent Irish emigrants a bad name.
    The Australian police have put their mugs online in an effort to protect Australian citizens, the Australians would have no truck with ethic minorities lame ass excuses.
    The Australians are lucky though, they can deport the “travellers” back to us and make sure they never go Down Under again.

If traveller crime was deslt with effectively here the Gardai would be in control. The Gardai are hampered in their efforts because of PC nonsense. If the ethnic minority are so proud of their status then why are the media so shy about naming criminal travellers as just gangs, apply their hard won ethnic status to them.

RTE and that muppet on half a million euros had the chsnce on zfriday to acknowledge rural peoples fear of travellers, francie and company belittling these fears by saying, sure, they are a minority in relation to thise eho vited for MD is denying democracy. Michael D left it late to say he was running again, he had nothing to show for his seven year term, he didnt have audited accounts of his spending, he got a completely easy ride from the media so of course it was going to be difficult to unseat him.

Many people also voted for him thinking he is going to get a pension and if we elect someone else to be as useless as him thats a full salary and s pension, cheaper to just leave him wandering around the Aras penning verse.

Peter Casey achieved a remarkable share of the vote and travellers need to take responsibility for that rather than wallowing in victimhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Them damn Brits !!!!

As they say, there's no such thing as being 'a little bit' racist. :D

I fear the irony will be lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,900 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What a prescient fellow Mr Casey is proving to be,as you say yourself 342,727 people jumped,in unison,to their keyboards and also gave a number 1 preference for the man.

Quite a common occurence in Irish electoral situations ....Yes ?
    A candidate attacking a single community in order to get voted? Rare in this state I would have thought. It seems to be strategy of the moment in the world funnily enough.
    I would suggest that looking through predjudiced glasses,is not a one-way process in this particular Irish issue,as can be evidenced through many decades of the negative experiences of non-traveller folks in Ireland ?

The Brits,in this case,have sweet FA to do with this thread topic,except perhaps to reinforce "our" racist bias occasionally....yes ?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/furious-residents-stop-travellers-moving-10648176

Mind you,it appears Irelands long running attempts to address the issues have'nt gone unappreciated either....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45479975

The Irish option

Them damn Brits !!!!

No problem with the idea that non traveller folk have had negative experiences.
    Not sure of the relevance of the rest of the post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,633 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Omackeral wrote: »
    Seriously, change the record or invest in a thesaurus. That's over the last 24 hours. Not everyone who disagrees with you is furious/cross/upset..... angry

Hitting home is it .

Must be.

Because I only see a bunch of angry deluded people giving out about tubridy and calling everyone else names.

Oh not to mention trying to force people out if the thread

Change the record will ya.

Angry

If 347,000 people have had negative experiences of a community that officially numbers 30,000 there is something very serious going on.

This has to be faced up and dealt with.

The travellers had their day out in RTE.

Wouldnt it be fair now to let victims of traveller crime have their chsnce to talk to Tubridy. Lets see how smart he is faced with the relatives of the ninety year old Bray woman beaten up in her home in the middle of the night by travellers.

Oh, no, we couldnt do that, they are an ethnic minority.

tretorn wrote: »
    If 347,000 people have had negative experiences of a community that officially numbers 30,000 there is something very serious going on.

This has to be faced up and dealt with.

The travellers had their day out in RTE.

Wouldnt it be fair now to let victims of traveller crime have their chsnce to talk to Tubridy. Lets see how smart he is faced with the relatives of the ninety year old beaten up in her home by travellers.

Oh, no, we couldnt do that, they are an ethnic minority.

I doubt that number of people even spoke to a traveller.

If you want to speak to tubridy then ring in. That's what phones are for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

listermint wrote: »
    Hitting home is it .

Must be.

Because I only see a bunch of angry deluded people giving out about tubridy and calling everyone else names.

Oh not to mention trying to force people out if the thread

Change the record will ya.

Angry

Seems to me the only anger here is yours. Btw you claimed my posts contained bile. Any chance you will back that claim up , or are am I to assume you lied?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder will Tubridy make any reference on his radio show tomorrow to the criticism he got on twitter over his totally biased interview with Peter Casey.

As a very unwilling licence fee payer to RTE I would like management to review that interview and call Tubridy to account over it.

Doesn't he always blabber on about having a Nokia phone.
    Any negative feed back or disagreeing with you is just called trolling now.

Seems to me the only anger here is yours. Btw you claimed my posts contained bile. Any chance you will back that claim up , or are am I to assume you lied?

Look horse I don't have the minutes in the day to go back through all your posts

So if I said you are speaking bile I'll retract it based on that.

You can take it now that I don't think you are speaking bike .

I doubt that number of people even spoke to a traveller.

If you want to speak to tubridy then ring in. That's what phones are for.

The travellers werent told to ring in.
    Tubridy filled the studio with travellers while he rubbished a guest he had invited on.

If its equality we want then let the victims of travellers speak. Most would probably be too afraid but the privacy of the ballot box allowed them a voice.

Maybe Leo could go on Tubridys show tomorrow and tell us what he thinks about Caseys vote and about that fact that 347,000 people told him to shove his voting advice where the sun doesnt shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Look horse I don't have the minutes in the day to go back through all your posts

So if I said you are speaking bile I'll retract it based on that.

You can take it now that I don't think you are speaking bike .

Thanks for confirming you're a liar, I can safely dismiss all your nonsense.;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Edward M wrote: »
    No, it's not an achievement. He's got the money, can afford the platform, the airtime and the avdvisers, he's got a loud voice and he's mouthing off against an easy target. Nothing really difficult. The family is irrelevant. The politics is irrelevant.

Do you really think he'd the same number of votes while campaining an education, HSE, tax and the economy whilst working with an economic budget?! There's not a chance he'd get even close to double figures.

He's a one-trick pony in a small county circus and you're basically telling me he can win the Grand National.

He can though, denial of the fact it could happen is the rock established party's might perish on.
    It's happened in the UK and the US for instance.
    Amazingly people are in denial the likes could happen here, not saying it will, but it could.
    Of course you're right re the importance of his stance on travellers and welfare are only p**s in the wind in the overall scheme of things economically, but a govt here lost a huge majority over water charges, so in perspective a rural vote for candidates promising to sort out their traveller problems could in effect change majorities and and govt participation.
    But its a small side issue in the actual running of the country either economically or socially.
    Perhaps, but he needs to be more than one person, unlike in other territories.

My point though is: he doesn't give a ****. The idea he does us laughable. Hes just a loudmouth saying what he thinks prime want to hear.

Why world he care? He doesn't even live here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Edward M wrote: »
    No, it's not an achievement. He's got the money, can afford the platform, the airtime and the avdvisers, he's got a loud voice and he's mouthing off against an easy target. Nothing really difficult. The family is irrelevant. The politics is irrelevant.

Do you really think he'd the same number of votes while campaining an education, HSE, tax and the economy whilst working with an economic budget?! There's not a chance he'd get even close to double figures.

He's a one-trick pony in a small county circus and you're basically telling me he can win the Grand National.

He can though, denial of the fact it could happen is the rock established party's might perish on.
    It's happened in the UK and the US for instance.
    Amazingly people are in denial the likes could happen here, not saying it will, but it could.
    Of course you're right re the importance of his stance on travellers and welfare are only p**s in the wind in the overall scheme of things economically, but a govt here lost a huge majority over water charges, so in perspective a rural vote for candidates promising to sort out their traveller problems could in effect change majorities and and govt participation.
    But its a small side issue in the actual running of the country either economically or socially.

My point though is: he doesn't give a ****. The idea he does us laughable. Hes just a loudmouth saying what he thinks prime want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BBFAN wrote: »
    23% is not a high percentage.

A much higher percentage agree with him than voted for him.

Casey is the messenger the rural community have been waiting for, you are missing the point entirely by focussing on him.

If a braying donkey could say what Casey said 347,000 people would have voted for it.

People who would never vite for Sinn Fein because of their past would have left their morals at the doir of the station and voted for SF if a candidate had the courage to put the spotlight on traveller criminality.

Casey is the messenger the rural community have been waiting for, you are missing the point entirely by focussing on him.

If a braying donkey could say what Casey said 347,000 people would have voted for it.

People who would never vite for Sinn Fein because of their past would have left their morals at the doir of the station and voted for SF if a candidate had the courage to put the spotlight on traveller criminality.
    None of this contradicts my point.

• Advertisement

None of this contradicts my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BBFAN wrote: »
    23% is not a high percentage.

It's 2% off what the current government got in the last election.

25% isn't that high either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

25% isn't that high either.

High enough to be able to run the country

• Registered Users Posts: 66,900 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Look how that worked out. FF-FG practically merged and a motley crew of independents in a government that is hamstrung with fear of facing the electorate.

High enough to be able to run the country

Again, not denying that - but it's still not a high number.

Yeah ok

We've rurul messengers in the shape of the the healy-raes

They do a whole bunch for their constituents is this the type of rural messenger you think will capture the imagination.

Because frankly your off your but if you think Casey will get anything like a level of votes to run a party.

He won't bother trying.

He doesn't have a grasp of even the subject matter that he brings up.

Rural messenger, will you give up with that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

complaints@rte.ie is the place to go.

This is the legislation that they failed in

"RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that:

(a) all news broadcast is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views."

and rte abided by that legislation.

fin12 wrote: »
    I say there will be every chance he will be voted in especially in the counties he topped the presidential vote in. He has done very well so far.

even if he was likely to get elected, which is doubtful, he won't be able to do anything about the issues he is pretending to care about.
    Sorry he does talk about more than Travellers, he was talking about health care the last night and the terrible long waiting lists for operations something I know all too well about.

and what is his plan to deal with that issue?
    Anyway it will probably be a good thing in hindsight he didn’t win as President cause its going to be much more valuable to the country having him as Taoiseach.

given he failed to get elected as president, what makes you think he has a chance of being taoiseach? him and his politics and views were rejected hard by the vast vast majority of the voters.

Takes kids out of school before age 15? Check.

Marries kids off to cousins or second cousins while still in their teens? Check

High probability of having a criminal record or having spent time in prison? Check

High probability of having perpetrated or experienced domestic abuse? Check

High probability of having no job and claiming social welfare, yet having unexplained sources of wealth when it comes to new vehicles, lavish wedding and First Communion celebrations, etc? Check

History of violence / feuding / bare-knuckle fights with other Traveller families? Check

Noted disregard for property, the environment, and animal welfare? Check

Like it or not, the above are what make Travellers into Travellers in the eyes of the public. It has little or nothing to do with their ethnicity.

thankfully what makes travelers into travelers in the eyes of some of the public, is irrelevant to what makes them travelers in actual reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So and huh ? your as elequent as francie eotr . isnt shift work tough for you guys

in this thread as in many others you have been exposed you and your comrades

exposed? where? who are my comrades? what shift work are you on about.
    lol you do realise that that old british attitude towards irish people is biased on the actions of Irish travellers living and thieving in the uk and not "settled" Irish people , the brits just didnt draw a distinction

your party propaganda has misinformed you again

good to see you back francie eotr was crap at this

no it was based on simply irish. traveler or settled didn't matter. no party propaganda.
    yeap its hard to believe facts when your used to twisting and manipulating history to suit your own party policy's isnt it ??

no as we don't twist and manipulate history. we give the facts in relation to what happened in terms of the troubles, which incidently have nothing to do with this thread.
    Flabbergasted at the grasp of actual understanding in this post.

every other post you make in every other thread champions one specific party and ideology along with a few of your fellow bots , every one here knows it and like i told your comrade your fooling no one

i see the boys are deployed in another tread this morning towing the party line

what has any of that inaccuracy got to do with anything? absolutely nothing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

and rte abided by that legislation.

even if he was likely to get elected, which is doubtful, he won't be able to do anything about the issues he is pretending to care about.

and what is his plan to deal with that issue?

given he failed to get elected as president, what makes you think he has a chance of being taoiseach? him and his politics and views were rejected hard by the vast vast majority of the voters.

thankfully what makes travelers into travelers in the eyes of some of the public, is irrelevant to what makes them travelers in actual reality.

Why won’t be be able to do anything about the issues he has talked about?

He needs time to sit down with his advisors and come out with the best policies, this isn’t something he can just come out with at the top of his head.

Because we all know about Peter Casey and he will have a lot more time when campaigning for Taoiseach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement