Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You don't seem to understand statistical sampling. On election night, RTE carried out an exit poll of just 3,500 people and got a pretty close indication of how the electorate as a whole voted. A sample of 43% of the electorate could be seen as providing an much higher level of accuracy -- given that the margin of error depends inversely on the square root of the sample size.

You're warbling on as if just 10% of the electorate supported Casey, which is completely wrongheaded. If every eligible citizen in the country had voted, the statistical likelihood is that Casey's support would have remained around 23%.

The actual fact is 10% of the electorate voted for Casey. It is quite clear that 9% of that vote got behind Casey after he made his remarks.

We are told, that this was a highly motivated, protest vote.
    The rest of the electorate were not bothered to respond to that 'motivation' so that tells us that the issue was not of huge concern to them, so there is no certainty they would have voted for Casey. None at all.

I don't think polls or statistical likelihood modelling work in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

tretorn wrote: »
    That looks like a fine site beside Pat, why dont the council go in and CPO it.

You could definitely put a five bay halting site in there.

Yes and what better way to reduce traveller poverty than putting them in rich areas. Certainly putting them in deprived areas isn’t helping their deprivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The actual fact is 10% of the electorate voted for Casey. It is quite clear that 9% of that vote got behind Casey after he made his remarks.

We are told, that this was a highly motivated, protest vote.
    The rest of the electorate were not bothered to respond to that 'motivation' so that tells us that the issue was not of huge concern to them, so they were certainty they would have voted for Casey. None at all.

I don't think polls or statistical likelihood modelling work in this case.

It’s total charlatanism to estimate the percentage on the size of the electorate rather than the size of the voters. Mathematically unsound.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s total charlatanism to estimate the percentage on the size of the electorate rather than the size of the voters. Mathematically unsound.

They were never great with numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The attempts to rubbish the vote Casey got at this stage is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SallyAnne1997

THE THREAD TITLE HERE IS VERY DISINGENIOUS
    why should it focus on only one aspect of Peter Casey's comments
    Why not just change the title to "Peter Casey" and maybe explore his other ideas, such as the diaspora and whatever,

and i would imagine it's hurtful to Travellers who could be reading the thread

Apparently this was a 'special election' a 'watershed' 'a protest vote', 'a mini revolution' of sorts 'a massive message sent' - 10% of the electorate turned out to take part in that at the end of the day going forward. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

tretorn wrote: »
    Ahem, sorry but no, I am very different to the average traveller.

My grndparents didnt finish secondary school my parents did but neiter went to third level. I have two siblings and we all finished second level but didnt go onto third level. We have nine children between us and of those finished school all have gone to third level and the others have ambition to go on to Third level too.

My grandparents and parents had very little money but still put all their children through school and didnt get hand outs from anyone. We had very little materially but my parents didnt shop lift for clothes or anything else for us.

I know that we can go on for ever about the travellers having a terrible time but realistically how hard can it be for them to go on the housing list and pay rent and get their children to school. We have migrants arriving in with only the clothes are on their backs and coming from much worse situations than young travellers have come from and yet they seem to function ok here if given asylum.

Is it the case that there are special educational needs in the travelling community, if there are its probably pretty pointless for them to remain in education past the leaving cert, it might be better for them to leave at sixteen and learn a trade. And, no, by trade I dont mean making pots and pans and shooing horses, I mean a trade like carpentry, or woodwork or painting.

Has anyone studied the IQ of the travellers as a group, they all seem to intermarry so it actually wouldnt be that difficult to get an average IQ and then see does it fall far below the standard IQ of the general population.

Having watched the video of the brawl in Galway its fair to say the adults behaviour fell far short of normal behaviour expected of grown adults but if the adults are special needs then excuses probably can be made.

I agree with you.

Why not just change the title to "Peter Casey" and maybe explore his other ideas, such as the diaspora and whatever,

The 'diaspora' whom he said in one of the debates 'never look for special treatment because they are Irish'? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I seriously doubt there's many of them reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Peter Casey's other musings:>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Omackeral wrote: »
    The only answer I've really gotten since asking this. Literally nobody seems to know what makes them ethnically different.

They are basically Irish people who went their own way around 500 years ago (one idea I read about was that it was a result of upheaval during the Cromwellian wars), and are more endogamous.
    They have a slang/dialect and the old tradition of being travelling handy men.
    I don't think that makes them a distinct ethnicity.

Ipso wrote:
    They are basically Irish people who went their own way around 500 years ago (one idea I read about was that it was a result of upheaval during the Cromwellian wars), and are more endogamous. They have a slang/dialect and the old tradition of being travelling handy men. I don't think that makes them a distinct ethnicity.

Endogamous not necessarily a good thing. Very close to inbreeding.

Ipso wrote: »
    They are basically Irish people who went their own way around 500 years ago (one idea I read about was that it was a result of upheaval during the Cromwellian wars), and are more endogamous.
    They have a slang/dialect and the old tradition of being travelling handy men.
    I don't think that makes them a distinct ethnicity.

Traveling handy men? The modern version lays tarmac, repairs roofs etc.

The 'diaspora' whom he said in one of the debates 'never look for special treatment because they are Irish'? :D:D

please,
    it's a new thread, a second thread, and i believe it is politically motivated,
    and if not then it is discriminatory and unfair, to Travellers, to Peter Casey and to his voters

Also great removal men, even if you don't want it removed.

Endogamous not necessarily a good thing. Very close to inbreeding.

No, Irish people are fairly inbred anyway.
    I'll try to find the link of a study that claimed Ireland was one of the most endogamous countries in Europe.

Edit. It only looked at four or five population groups.
    https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/runs-of-homozygosity-in-the-irish-population/

Historically they were, doesn't the word tinker come from tin smith?

Ipso wrote:
    No, Irish people are fairly inbred anyway. I'll try to find the link of a study that claimed Ireland was one of the most endogamous countries in Europe.

They're not really as there is quite a mix in wider society, our SEMS rarely stray outside their own which can lead to various problems.

I seriously doubt there's many of them reading it.

well even if there was even one, reading the leaving cert forum and then seeing the word Traveller on the new posts , it's completely unnecessary, it's not Peter Casey's only trick,
    and possibly malicious, why doesn't the op explain it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Casey has made his mark now. And he got the Establishment rattled. Not one of them supported him or gave him a balanced platform. North Korea comes to mind.

But he has let the cork out of the bottle, and the more he is silenced the bigger his support will be from ordinary folk.

I think it will all go quiet for a little while now. But there must be an election coming up soon, since every single day this week a flyer has been dropped in the door from each TD and wannabe TD for our constituency. That's despite a rather large "NO JUNK MAIL" sign over the letterbox!

please,
    it's a new thread, a second thread, and i believe it is politically motivated,
    and if not then it is discriminatory and unfair, to Travellers, to Peter Casey and to his voters

Thread title has nothing to do with me, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They're not really as there is quite a mix in wider society, our SEMS rarely stray outside their own which can lead to various problems.

Please excuse my ignorance, and I am sure it is obvious to many, but what are SEMS? Thanks.

All I can think of is Single European Markets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Theres delusion.. and then theres delusion...

Thread title has nothing to do with me, I'm afraid.

i wasn't blaming you
    but why did the op have to use the word Traveller

Please excuse my ignorance, and I am sure it is obvious to many, but what are SEMS? Thanks.

A bunch of Irish people who like to be classed as different from other Irish people because of special things they do / behaviour. Special Ethnic Minority Status .

All I can think of is Single European Markets :p

Poster is using it thinking it's a plural. it isn't. Stands for 'Special Ethnic Minority Status'.

Poster is using it thinking it's a plural. it isn't. Stands for 'Special Ethnic Minority Status'.

He's not, as shown above. You just can't help yourself can you?

Ipso wrote: »
    Historically they were, doesn't the word tinker come from tin smith?

So, they’re not the same as they were. So, what is their unique culture now? How do they fund their lifestyles?

(This isn’t aimed at you. I’m truly perplexed about what defines their culture)

• Advertisement

This thread is an abomination
    the Moderator who that title should explain him or her self,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement