Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi expanding to UK / Ireland

Options
  • 26-10-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭

Interesting:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/26/xiaomi-expanding-uk-market-november-8th/
    It's the fourth largest smartphone brand on the planet, and yet Xiaomi doesn't directly sell devices in some of the biggest markets such as the US and the UK. There have been rumors about an entry into the US market late this year or in early 2019, but before that, the Chinese company is officially launching in the UK on November 8th.

This follows a successful expansion into the Spanish, French, and Italian markets already this year. During an event in London, Xiaomi will show off an unspecified flagship phone — hopefully, the intriguing Mi Mix 3 — as well as a range of smart home hardware alongside a proprietary IoT platform. An Authorized Mi Store will then open on November 10th in Westfield Shopping Centre in White City.

Sales and Marketing Director Wilkin Lee will head up the Xiaomi UK team, and its chosen UK charity partner is Right To Play. As part of the launch, the team will also be hosting a Mi Community London treasure hunt on October 27th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭corkie

Posted in the Chinese Android Device thread!

Xiaomi officially launching in Ireland on November 1st

Wonder what devices and cost involved with three?

corkie wrote: »
    Don't get too excited, when launched in Denmark, they only had a limited range at an inflated prices tied to 6 month contract.

See here:- https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057872245/1#post108012511

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

it will still be way cheaper to buy online through eglobal, honorbuy etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

glasso wrote: »
    it will still be way cheaper to buy online through eglobal, honorbuy etc

Not everyone has the price of even a €400 handset, easier to pay a nominal sum and the rest monthly

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not everyone has the price of even a €400 handset, easier to pay a nominal sum and the rest monthly

where you end up paying 1.5x the price of the handset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Xiaomi are all Dual Sim setups, what will 3 do about that?

Xiaomi are all Dual Sim setups, what will 3 do about that?

If three are still locking there devices to there Network? They in theory could disable the second sim (or have only one operational) by software.

If they do above, then unlocking the bootloader and flashing a stock/custom rom, would be away to get around it.

I thought there was EU rules, not allowing SIM locks anymore.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-96-791_en.htm

For three to lock the device, they would require a vendor/seller rom on the device.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

article in indo. 3 phones at launch. prices not too bad. assume locked to three?

sellling an electric scooter also

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/chinas-xiaomi-enters-irish-market-with-three-scooter-and-phones-sales-tieup-37479634.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

This is why some people are terrible with money.

The financially smart thing is to save up for the "400 euro" phone and then buy cash rather than pay interest through billpay. You can get a great phone for half that price anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

glasso wrote: »
    article in indo. 3 phones at launch. prices not too bad. assume locked to three?

sellling an electric scooter also

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/chinas-xiaomi-enters-irish-market-with-three-scooter-and-phones-sales-tieup-37479634.html

Prices sound unexpectedly reasonable...

I hope this doesn't mean it'll be more difficult to get their phones through customs and I hope they don't charge customs on irish price rather than chinese site price....but I expect they will?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Pity there's no Mi 8 or Mi Mix 3 but as others have said, the prices look reasonably good all things considered.

Prices look good if they include VAT.

RN5 @ €199 is not bad if it is for 64gb model and not the 32gb.

Since Mi Mix 2S @ (€459) is approx 30 dearer (not including shipping) than honorbuy.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057923488/1#post108509039

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

can we buy direct from them? Missus needs a new phone. Do not want a poxy contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pussyhands wrote: »

I hope this doesn't mean it'll be more difficult to get their phones through customs and I hope they don't charge customs on irish price rather than chinese site price....but I expect they will?

Get an invoice from wherever you buy incase you get caught with customs, highly doubt they can throw your invoice out and tax you off a different sellers rate

they will still be available online - no doubt about that.

if the prices are similar may be worth buying in local b&m as warranty would be more likely to be fully honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is why some people are terrible with money.

The financially smart thing is to save up for the "400 euro" phone and then buy cash rather than pay interest through billpay. You can get a great phone for half that price anyways..

But others add up the price that the person is paying per month and decide that's what they paid for the phone. If someone buys their own phone and gets a sim for a network, they don't get unlimited data and minutes without paying.

I was in Westfield shopping centre at the weekend. Its a full shop unit they have (it's still covered by hoarding) . So presumably they'll have a good range of their products and not just a couple of phones on a stand in the middle of an empty unit.

Edit, forgot I took a pic :)
    IMG-20181029-153035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Will these come bloated with 3 software/apps etc?

Once they don't limit access delivery to Ireland it's no harm, products are generally good and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Was at launch event and prices are really good and yes I got a price list

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

I know you can get it from other sites if you want,but wonder will three carry the mi mix 3???

They have the Mix 2S , kinda like what they done when launching the iPhone here, older model

• Advertisement

Prices are sure competitive, Bluetooth Headset and Speaker about approx €5 dearer than online.

Redmi note 5, if the 64gb WHYRED is going at a good price, question still remain if network locked and duel sim functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Pace Smartwatch is twice that I paid including EU shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

But others add up the price that the person is paying per month and decide that's what they paid for the phone. If someone buys their own phone and gets a sim for a network, they don't get unlimited data and minutes without paying.

I was in Westfield shopping centre at the weekend. Its a full shop unit they have (it's still covered by hoarding) . So presumably they'll have a good range of their products and not just a couple of phones on a stand in the middle of an empty unit.

Edit, forgot I took a pic :)
    IMG-20181029-153035.jpg

Am I correct in saying that in addition to three selling Xiaomi phones through their shops/network, there will also be a standalone Mi/Xiaomi shop selling sim free phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the price list. How did the launch go. What are their plans?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the price list. How did the launch go. What are their plans?

Everything will be available in store and on line from 9am today. Really surprised that they have so much. Bit t no battery packs and no Yi cameras though m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

If they do above, then unlocking the bootloader and flashing a stock/custom rom, would be away to get around it.
    Surely it’ll void warranty. What the point buying it locally then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gooner99 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that in addition to three selling Xiaomi phones through their shops/network, there will also be a standalone Mi/Xiaomi shop selling sim free phones?

The shop is in London. Not sure if any more are planned and don't know if they are selling through a network in the UK as well.

Youd have thought they'd go for the same approach here as the UK and open their own shop in Dundrum or something

As suspect 32gb model of WHYRED which is overpriced.
    At €199 for 32GB model it is overpriced, but free on Bill Pay (pay through the nose).

As suspect 32gb model of WHYRED which is overpriced.

183 on eglobal for 64gb version

146 for 32gb version

so 33% higher on the 32gb version than eglobal or 25% lower than Three

sort of understandable tho considering eglobal is paying no VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Had a play with the Mi Mix 2s in store on lunch. Very impressed and MIUI seems fine. I think it's convinced me to go for the Mi 8,couldn't be dealing with the Mi Mix 2's upside down selfie camera every time!

Advertisement