Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi expanding to UK / Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭corkie

alec76 wrote: »
    Surely it’ll void warranty. What the point buying it locally then ?

Does unlocking Bootloader on MI devices void warranty?
    No!

Xiaomi is developers friendly. Your warranty is not void even you unlock your bootloader and root your mobile.

If you wanna be more safe. Then you can flash stock firmware and lock your bootloader again at any time to bring back your mobile to factory state.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/help/unlocking-bootloader-void-warranty-t3790342

Unless Three has some additional terms or maybe a vendor rom, which would make unlocking harder.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

corkie wrote: »
    Unless Three has some additional terms or maybe a vendor rom, which would make unlocking harder.

You have to flash carrier ROM and lock bootloader before bringing it back to Three, there is no other option, AFAIK.
    Will you be able to flash it when it is already faulty ?
    Another thing, if XIOAMI will ever proceed your request to
    unlock bootloader on Three phones?

It seems to be DUAL phone with no network lock
    https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-6/
    .The Xiaomi Redmi 6 is dual sim. This means you can enjoy Three's All You Can Eat Data at home in Ireland but also use a local SIM while travelling without missing any calls to your Irish number.

alec76 wrote: »
    You have to flash carrier ROM and lock bootloader before bringing it back to Three, there is no other option, AFAIK.
    Will you be able to flash it when it is already faulty ?
    Another thing, if XIOAMI will ever proceed your request to
    unlock bootloader on Three phones?

You no longer need to request permission for unlock from xiaomi. Just create an Mi account and you can unlock a new device after 720/360 hours (or whatever waiting time is now).

Bootloader unlock only works on official MIUI roms, if it has a carrier/vendor rom then unlocking may not be possible.

Waiting on a reply for multiple queries in the Three Thread.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

Might pick up the Redmi 6 from Three, ideally to use on the Vodafone network. Anyone confirm yet if they are unlocked?

• Advertisement

gooner99 wrote: »
    Might pick up the Redmi 6 from Three, ideally to use on the Vodafone network. Anyone confirm yet if they are unlocked?

Mediatek device? Generally avoid them devices.

On the three page for the device: -

The Xiaomi Redmi 6 is dual sim. This means you can enjoy Three's All You Can Eat Data at home in Ireland but also use a local SIM while travelling without missing any calls to your Irish number.

Even if the primary sim is locked, the additional sim should work for other networks.

Also it is the 3/32gb version, get the 4/64gb version on honorbuy for the same price (excl.. shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

Mediatek device? Generally avoid them devices.

On the three page for the device: -

Even if the primary sim is locked, the additional sim should work for other networks.

Also it is the 3/32gb version, get the 4/64gb version on honorbuy for the same price (excl.. shipping).

Cheers. What do you mean by Mediatek device? Generally avoid them devices. I thought all Xiaomi phones were good.?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Cheers. What do you mean by Mediatek device? Generally avoid them devices. I thought all Xiaomi phones were good.?

mediatek cpus in the device. usually weak and not battery efficient

although the p22 is not that bad

but I'd order the mi a2 lite 64gb from eglobal instead for 162 euro

same design but better phone with stock android so no bloat apps and regular security updates. battery is 1/3 bigger than redmi 6 also

better cpu also

blue best colour. .no customs charges as goes through EU but wait of 7 to 10 days usually

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-4gb-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-blue.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Was playing with a MiMix 2s today in a Three store, the manager had a one for herself and was just setting it up so let me play around with the camera a bit. Lovely phone, gorgeous screen even though it's LCD, camera seems pretty damned good.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Was playing with a MiMix 2s today in a Three store, the manager had a one for herself and was just setting it up so let me play around with the camera a bit. Lovely phone, gorgeous screen even though it's LCD, camera seems pretty damned good.

Do you know if it was dual sim??? I asked on the website chat thing and they say its only a single sim model

• Advertisement

celticsfan wrote: »
    Do you know if it was dual sim??? I asked on the website chat thing and they say its only a single sim model

Mi Mix 2S is a duel sim phone, like the RN5 and Redmi 6.

Unless Three have disabled the second sim with software, I don't see xiaomi making a separate device just for Three.

Mi Mix 2S is a duel sim phone, like the RN5 and Redmi 6.

Unless Three have disabled the second sim with software, I don't see xiaomi making a separate device just for Three.

Yea,which is why I was puzzled myself when I asked...will head out to the local store and see what its like anyway...really hope they sell the mix 3 down the line too

I don't know tbh. Their litrature seems to indicate it's dual sim enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea,which is why I was puzzled myself when I asked...will head out to the local store and see what its like anyway...really hope they sell the mix 3 down the line too

I'd imagine they will once a global rom is available and tested locally.

If I could get a Mix 3 here with both sims unlocked for in and around the same price as online then I'd seriously consider one. Love my S9+ but dual sim would be very useful as I've a work phone I carry around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Will these come bloated with 3 software/apps etc?

Once they don't limit access delivery to Ireland it's no harm, products are generally good and good value.

If you're worried about bloat apps then Xiaomi won't be for you anyway. These are all MIUI phones and even their Android One handsets come with extra garbage on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who cares about the phones

Will they stock all the smart home stuff? It is great but ordering i can’t order the plug as not uk/ireland ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd imagine they will once a global rom is available and tested locally.

If I could get a Mix 3 here with both sims unlocked for in and around the same price as online then I'd seriously consider one. Love my S9+ but dual sim would be very useful as I've a work phone I carry around too.

You could always sell the S9+ and buy another S9+ dual SIM from Amazon, especially if you like to keep to the Samsung. The price has dropped considerably recently.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Will they stock all the smart home stuff? It is great but ordering i can’t order the plug as not uk/ireland ones

I am happy owner of Xiaomi Mi Robot vacuum cleaner,it is working hard every day almost year and a half. Absolutely great vacuum and joy to watch:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, great device apart from MIUI.

1st, it's filled with Xiaomi apps with no way to uninstall without root.

2nd, Sync can't be enabled for a single app, all apps must sync or none at all. Eg, I wanted to have Gmail sync automatically but there's only an option to sync everything, including Xioami apps which I wouldn't trust just yet.

3rd, updates can occur without your knowledge and sometimes wipe important data. The option is there to disable this feature but it's well hidden and if auto updates are disabled you will have an update notification icon permanently in the notification area.

4th, camera, it's not great on my model and also on many Xiaomi devices, so check reviews before purchase.

On the good side it is a tank of a device, it's been dropped, kicked and got wet plenty of times.
    I once had it in my pocket when my wife was sitting in my lap (crowded bus), and when I took it out it was bent in a banana like shape. I popped off the back cover and straightened it out and apart from 1 dead pixel it's perfect.
    Battery life is insane, 2 days with good use. It's fast, I mean very fast. Apps open instantly and scrolling websites is smooth as butter.

I upgraded from a Vodafone smart ultra 6 to this device and apart from camera quality it's a better device in every other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Double post.

• Advertisement

@corsav6
    @Patww79

Possible to Debloat Xiaomi MIUI without root, just use ADB.

Also most MIUI system ads can be disabled.

Have both the Redmi Note 5[WHYRED] and 3[Kenzo].
    ^^^ Both running custom roms.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

LOL, funny comment in a thread and forum dedicated to Android Devices which mainly means phones.

Have both the Redmi Note 5[WHYRED] and 3[Kenzo].
    ^^^ Both running custom roms.

Ah I see those are roms in the brackets?? any thoughts on Lineage OS rom??? haven't rooted a phone since I have my nexus 4 back in the day ha...

Ah I see those are roms in the brackets?? any thoughts on Lineage OS rom??? haven't rooted a phone since I have my nexus 4 back in the day ha...

Names in brackets are the device code names.

Running final Resurrection Remix Oreo on my RN5. Based on LOS.
    Running Pixel Experience Pie on RN3 (Backup and media player device).

Had LineageOS on the RN3 for over a year and was very happy with it.

Went with RR on RN5 because official LOS wasn't available when I was installing, has more customization than LOS and just stayed on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you're worried about bloat apps then Xiaomi won't be for you anyway. These are all MIUI phones and even their Android One handsets come with extra garbage on them.

I went from a Nexus to a Note 4 & I don't notice the bloatware. Yes it's there but it doesn't intrude or cause problems. I nearly got an A1 because of the comments about MIUI but I actually like it.

Discodog wrote: »
    I went from a Nexus to a Note 4 & I don't notice the bloatware. Yes it's there but it doesn't intrude or cause problems. I nearly got an A1 because of the comments about MIUI but I actually like it.

No, bloat is absolutely no issue at all once you know what you're at and disable things but a lot of people still have it as a big issue when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No, bloat is absolutely no issue at all once you know what you're at and disable things but a lot of people still have it as a big issue when buying.

I think the same applies to MIUI. I installed a launcher of my choice, phone & text apps of my choice & the phone is the same to use as the Nexus - all without needing to root.

MIUI does take a little learning but then it offers a lot of customisation. I like the quick ball, split screen & the second space options. I went from pure Android but my next phone will definitely be another Xiaomi. So much phone for so little cost.

MIUI/EMUI/ETC are no more or less intrusive than the likes of touch Wiz or HTC sense, intact I'd rather either mi or EM over touct wiz any day.

MIUI/EMUI/ETC are no more or less intrusive than the likes of touch Wiz or HTC sense, intact I'd rather either mi or EM over touct wiz any day.

Touchwiz is gone years.

Has anyone been to any three stores yet to demo the mi mix 2s?? If so any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Touchwiz is gone years.

Whatever the crap overlay Samsung is called now is still crap though.
    Don't even get me started on the terrble assistant with the dedicated button.

Advertisement