Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Change region. Switzerland works well xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Spent far to much time trying to config set up to direct print to this printer.

Anyone done it or have pointers as to how to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

What's the printer brand and model? Can probably help with this. Have tried numerous HP and Canon printers without issue.

Still love this phone a few months in!!! Latest update recommended I presume? Haven't got round to installing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What "mainstream" phone would people reckon the Note 5 would be the equivalent/match of? Or to put it another way, how much do people think it would cost from the likes of Tesco Mobile, Vodafone, Three etc?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    What "mainstream" phone would people reckon the Note 5 would be the equivalent/match of? Or to put it another way, how much do people think it would cost from the likes of Tesco Mobile, Vodafone, Three etc?

probably the equivalent of a 250 euro prepay phone. e.g. the huawei P20 lite is 260 at carphone warehouse. similar phone bracket although specs are obviously going to differ. the p20 lite is a nicer looking phone but not as good in battery life or overall perf and the camera is probably not as good.

also you're not going to get dual sim from an operator in Ireland.

see that the redmi note 6 is out now.

newer more modern 19:9 design with higher screen to body ratio (bigger screen) and higher-spec front camera. and notch.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/xiaomi-redmi-note-6-pro-price-specifications-vs-redmi-note-5-pro-india-launch-1923788

• Advertisement

What's the printer brand and model? Can probably help with this. Have tried numerous HP and Canon printers without issue........

Its a Brother HL1212W. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

0lddog wrote: »
    Its a Brother HL1212W. Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Try the iprint & scan app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Open settings and in the search box type in print . After that its easy follow the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone found a decent case. Mine fell apart

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Look back through the thread. I posted one on here and still have it. Perfect condition still and has survived two or three good falls unscathed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Jaysus that was a long read, but have learned loads & bookmarked corkies link for RN5 & several cases from different folks. Might just get a couple of these later in the week.
    Bought a RN4 for my kid last xmas & must say, I was somewhat jealous when it arrived as I only have a HTC one m8s. Anyway, he dropped it in a river a while back & I had planned on getting him another one for Xmas, which is why I'm here. There seem to be very few problems with this phone from what I've read here, in fact nearly all of you are very happy with your phones. So if I do get a couple this week I'll be back to ask all sorts of silly questions;)
    It's great to be able to come here to get hundreds of different opinions, (not to mention support for devices) to help not very tech minded ppl make an informed choice, fair play to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Probably not an issue with this model of phone in particular but just curious has anyone experience problems with MyFitnessPal not importing data from other apps such as Google fit and Runtastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

so I smashed the screen on my lovely new phone - have purchased this online: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-Lcd-Display-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Replacement-Unit/332832991038?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Has anyone had any luck replacing it themselves or would i be better bringing to a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭corkie

ams wrote: »
    so I smashed the screen on my lovely new phone - have purchased this online: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-Lcd-Display-Screen-Touch-Digitizer-Replacement-Unit/332832991038?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Has anyone had any luck replacing it themselves or would i be better bringing to a shop?

Luckily haven't had to replace a screen myself.

Don't forget to get an adhesive layer to glue the new screen on.

Plenty of youtiube videos showing the process.

Ideally, you should have gone for a display with the frame, for easier job replacing the screen. http://www.dragon-tt.com/xx.aspx?id=157

Edit:-

^^^ Hope you have a heat gun (don't know if a hairdryer will do) to separate the old display from the frame.
    ^^^ Also they used glue instead of an adhesive layer to glue the screen down in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pecarlo1

I was so happy with my purchase, but now im thinking of selling as ive a huge issue with the phone. Which is 4g speeds. Im on 3 network and my speed barely go over 370kbps... Ive talked to 3 and was told all ok... Just checked speeds on my friends one plus6 and was amazed how fast it was... Is this redmi note 5 issue with any fixes or is it you get for what you paid for thing?

Ps speeds were always an issue since day one. But at this stage it is bothering me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Pecarlo1 wrote: »
    I was so happy with my purchase, but now im thinking of selling as ive a huge issue with the phone. Which is 4g speeds. Im on 3 network and my speed barely go over 370kbps... Ive talked to 3 and was told all ok... Just checked speeds on my friends one plus6 and was amazed how fast it was... Is this redmi note 5 issue with any fixes or is it you get for what you paid for thing?

Ps speeds were always an issue since day one. But at this stage it is bothering me...

I can't speak for 3 as I'm on Vodafone but I've no issues with the phone. Just did a speed test & getting 90 download & 35 up. It does sound like a setting on the phone if your friend is also on 3 network & speeds are fine.
    Have you tried their sim in your phone to check the speed?

I'm with Tesco and they only recenrly enabled 4G usi g the 3 network. No speed issues at all. Did you check all the network settings like 4G preferred etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

corkie wrote: »

How to Disable Ads in MIUI Apps (Guide)
    Last Updated: September 18, 2018 7:26 pm

So I've tried this to remove the blooming annoying adverts everywhere and in a lot of the apps listed in this there's no option to turn off the recommended content.. I did turn it off in the main settings app though, does this filter through? The ads are driving me bananas

Kamili wrote: »
    So I've tried this to remove the blooming annoying adverts everywhere and in a lot of the apps listed in this there's no option to turn off the recommended content.. I did turn it off in the main settings app though, does this filter through? The ads are driving me bananas

May not help you much but your post got me wondering how I dont seem to get any ads.

Maybe its because I'm not using any MIUI apps ? ( excuse the dumb question but what apps are MIUI apps ? )

Maybe it because so far I have not registered it ?

Maybe its because I use a very limited collection of software ? ( Firefox, VLC, stock camera, stock file manager, Viber, Yolla, Zoiper & some translation apps )

Where do the ads show up ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

You hit the nail on the head, they show up in the mui apps. ;)

What am I missing out on by, per chance, not using the MIUI apps ? ( apart from ads :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I'm convinced the audio output levels (outside EU) has been messed with since MIUI 10.

Changed Switzerland, Israel to Ireland and back
    and there definitely seems to be the same now.

Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Funny I use several of the MIUI apps and I've never seen an ad, ever.
    Although I'm now using MIUI.EU ROM, but even when I was stock I never noticed any.

Using the following
    Phone Dialler
    Contacts
    FM radio
    Messaging
    Settings

Maybe I've just been lucky!

Might it be carrier locked to Three Ireland ?

( neat way to kibosh the dual sim functionality )

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

biebiebie wrote: »
    Funny I use several of the MIUI apps and I've never seen an ad, ever.
    Although I'm now using MIUI.EU ROM, but even when I was stock I never noticed any.

Using the following
    Phone Dialler
    Contacts
    FM radio
    Messaging
    Settings

Maybe I've just been lucky!

I don't see any either ! and I use miui stuff all the time

0lddog wrote: »
    Might it be carrier locked to Three Ireland ?

( neat way to kibosh the dual sim functionality )

At €199 for 32GB model it is overpriced, but free on Bill Pay (pay through the nose).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Advertisement

At €199 for 32GB model it is overpriced, but free on Bill Pay (pay through the nose).

Overpriced - yes for retail but still many will see it as good value. ( For the VAT registered nett price similar to Honorbuy Europe ? )

What about the real question : Is it locked to Three Ireland ? :D

( or is it SIM free ? - isnt that how Three UK would offer it ? ;))

Advertisement