Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Hi There,

I'm replacing a Samsung Galaxy S6, camera would be high in my priority. This is my first time going with a chinese phone, I have been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and red the full thread on it, but now I'm seeing that maybe there are other phones with better cameara.

I have kinda been looking at the pocophone F1, A2. But at this stage my head is getting fried!! Can someone recommend one that would be somewhere around 200-350? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hi There,

I'm replacing a Samsung Galaxy S6, camera would be high in my priority. This is my first time going with a chinese phone, I have been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and red the full thread on it, but now I'm seeing that maybe there are other phones with better cameara.

I have kinda been looking at the pocophone F1, A2. But at this stage my head is getting fried!! Can someone recommend one that would be somewhere around 200-350? Thanks

Pocophone camera is bad..

People will link to others over the next day or so, but the pocophone camera is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Suckit wrote:
    People will link to others over the next day or so, but the pocophone camera is bad.

Is it that bad? Would it be better than say a redmi note 4?

Is it that bad? Would it be better than say a redmi note 4?

better than that but still not great.

the honor 10 might be a decent option - somebody had it linked for €330 there the other day

actually 309 here on amazon germany

https://www.amazon.de/Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher-Frontkamera-Schwarz/dp/B07CMSTFKQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1540138275&sr=1-2&keywords=honor+10

glasso wrote: »

the honor 10 might be a decent option - somebody had it linked for €330 there the other day

https://www.amazon.de/Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher-Frontkamera-Schwarz/dp/B07CMSTFKQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1540138275&sr=1-2&keywords=honor+10

Huge honor/Huawei sale happening in the coming weeks, to launch all the new phones worldwide.

Maybe hold off.

They are on sale in Europe at minute, but sale expected to be bigger, not sure if I would wait or buy now.

Price shouldn't be much different in any case. (It's not going up).

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Huge honor/Huawei sale happening in the coming weeks, to launch all the new phones worldwide.

Maybe hold off.

They are on sale in Europe at minute, but sale expected to be bigger, not sure if I would wait or buy now.

Price shouldn't be much different in any case. (It's not going up).

don't see it dropping much further tbh if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, if I was loaded, I'd be buying a P20, but I'm not so I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi A2.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1512-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-blue.html#/option-global_version_464gb_blue

It seems to get the best camera reviews. I have a DSLR so only looking for something for good snaps, but coming from the Moto G5 with Opencamera installed, anything would be an improvement.

Bit of an update, I went ahead and ordered the Mi A2, 64g global version from the Amazon Spanish site. It was delivered last Thursday and I absolutely love it. I have all the apps I could every want installed and I have 40gigs left.

The phone is beautiful and the camera is just amazing, I can't fault it. Def comparable to my friend's p20.

You just can't go wrong. All in all a I paid 228 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

glasso wrote: »

Are all xiaomi cameras that bad? Would any of them be similar to that of the samsung s6? Just getting more confused had decided on getting a xoaomi.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

The camera on the Xiaomi Mi 8 has excellent reviews and is in the top 10 phone cameras in the world according to Dxomark. They rate it the same score as the S9 and ahead of the pixel 2.

See https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Im tempted by it myself but the notch and a lack of notification bar has me divided!

breeno wrote: »
    The camera on the Xiaomi Mi 8 has excellent reviews and is in the top 10 phone cameras in the world according to Dxomark. They rate it the same score as the S9 and ahead of the pixel 2.

See https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

Im tempted by it myself but the notch and a lack of notification bar has me divided!

They don't tend to include Vivo or Oppo (for example). But it is probably the best phone for the low price at the minute.
    Crazy price for what you get. And great camera.
    Some Honor meet it. But not sure for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Hi There,

Looks like you've decided against it already but having changed from an S7 the RMN5 camera is probably the most budget feature of the phone.

Brilliant otherwise but if you want a quality camera I'd definitely look elsewhere.

Should be quite a few S6 v Chinese phones comparison vids on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭corkie

Xiaomi officially launching in Ireland on November 1st

Wonder what devices and cost involved with three?

corkie wrote: »
    Don't get too excited, when launched in Denmark, they only had a limited range at an inflated prices tied to 6 month contract.

See here:- https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057872245/1#post108012511

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ugh, Three Network... Although I suppose for the right price I could switch...

fixxxer wrote: »
    Ugh, Three Network... Although I suppose for the right price I could switch...

Don't get too excited, when launched in Denmark, they only had a limited range at an inflated prices tied to 6 month contract.

See here:- https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057872245/1#post108012511

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Yeah, that's not the right price for me to switch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

Probably related to the above news but it now looks like Xiaomi are officially launching in the UK on November 8th. Could be interesting to see the prices there as it would certainly make delivery a bit easier.

breeno wrote: »
    Probably related to the above news but it now looks like Xiaomi are officially launching in the UK on November 8th. Could be interesting to see the prices there as it would certainly make delivery a bit easier.

Probably should have shared that info as well, it is bigger in the UK, not just phones but other products as well. With an Xiaomi Store opening.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/xiaomi-uk-launch-news/
    Exactly what it will launch in the U.K. is unknown, but to make a splash, it will likely introduce either a brand new device or one which has so far not launched outside China. The Mi Store will open in the Westfield shopping center in White City, which is the largest shopping center in Europe, ensuring Xiaomi receives a considerable amount of attention.

Hopefully it will make people notice other brands. (Not to take from Xiaomi, they're already in Tesco and many UK stores),

I hope it drops the Chinese store prices, which have become very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

Got a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite a couple of days ago and it’s been a bit of a nightmare so far. Lovely build, great battery life and snappy enough for anything I’d be using it for, camera’s crap but not something I’d worry to much about. Having awful trouble getting a decent signal with it though. I’m living rurally but never had any trouble getting 4G with my previous phone, a OnePlus 3T, but it’s an absolute no-go with this. 3G speeds are shocking too. Anyone else had trouble with this phone, or any Xiaomi phone on the Three network?

I’m not sure if the antennas are bad or I’m doing something wrong, but I’m nearly ready to write it off already. I got it from Amazon, so returning it should be straightforward enough and then I might take my chances with an Honor 8x.

Got a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite a couple of days ago and it’s been a bit of a nightmare so far. Lovely build, great battery life and snappy enough for anything I’d be using it for, camera’s crap but not something I’d worry to much about. Having awful trouble getting a decent signal with it though. I’m living rurally but never had any trouble getting 4G with my previous phone, a OnePlus 3T, but it’s an absolute no-go with this. 3G speeds are shocking too. Anyone else had trouble with this phone, or any Xiaomi phone on the Three network?

I’m not sure if the antennas are bad or I’m doing something wrong, but I’m nearly ready to write it off already. I got it from Amazon, so returning it should be straightforward enough and then I might take my chances with an Honor 8x.

How old is your sim card, if it is a few years old, you may need to get it replaced.

Also check your preferred network in your APN Settings.

Three's coverage in rural areas can be poor at times, check the Three forums and see if anyone else in your area is having problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

How old is your sim card, if it is a few years old, you may need to get it replaced.

Three's coverage in rural areas can be poor at times, check the Three forums and see if anyone else in your area is having problems?

I'm on meteor/eir and no issues.. last phone had to go out to shed to make a call... Try apn settings and upgrade sim card might do trick. Seriously good phone and my camera is quite good except in poor light

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Update to the latest version of MIUI or whatever ROM you're using, also switch on data roaming in settings and reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I have 400 max to play around with what would you recommend.

Great sound and great camera would be nice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭jefferson73

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads I have 400 max to play around with what would you recommend.

Great sound and great camera would be nice

Thanks

Sony xz2 compact for 403 euro.

LINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Email from 3:

Xiaomi has arrived in Ireland and it’s exclusive to Three.

Explore the full range that Xiaomi has to offer, from dazzling smartphone designs, to the connected world of smart accessories.

If you’re near our Grafton Street 3Store in Dublin today, 2nd November, we’re offering free Xiaomi gifts including Mi bands, music accessories and other goodies (first come, first served). The event begins at 1.30pm, we hope to see you there. (No purchase necessary)

Meet your new favourite brand and prepare to be a fan. Experience Xiaomi first at Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Just want to say I've had my mi a2 lite over a week now and I'm very happy with it. Ordered it Monday night and had it Tuesday the following week from eglobal. Very impressed with it. None of those cluttery apps that I can't uninstall, great battery life, storage and camera. Fingerprint unlock is nifty too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was my issue with my phone. To be fair to ASUS their customer support was great and it turned out I had simply messed up one of the APN settings. So I do have band 20, despite thinking I hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

In the market for a new phone, Chinese market seems to be the way to go to get bang for your buck. Budget is 300 and under. After a good bit of research and looking I can get a honor play for 245 and it seems to be the best I can find. Anyone any recommendations apart from this, pocophone also is up there but camera and built quality seen to be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Suggestions for around €100? Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Suggestions for around €100? Thanks guys.

Advertisement