Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still not sure about this.

Boycat, my senior at around 16, is acting a little oddly. For him. Staying out longer.

He has had a few accidents but all accepted and no worries.

Last evening, he came in to eat etc and refused to take refuge as always does, under my bedclothes,..

He insisted on taking root on my shoulders and basically stayed there all night. If he could have got into me, he would. YOU know! He is a very large cat! This is totally new behaviour.

He has eaten this morning; been out and come back. Now under my covers again

Yes I know; he is old etc but the thought of losing this one? We have been through so much together ( he is Beata's litter mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Need to rant a bit. Feeling so disheartened. Milo seemed to be making such great progress over the last 2 weeks but the past few nights he is back to showing some aggression towards my partner in the evenings again. They are great together during the day - lots of play and training fun together - but after 5pm something seems to change. He is showing such mixed signals - last night he cuddled up to him, when my partner gave him a test pet he went in looking for more and then 2 seconds later snapped at his hand. No signs of any sort of stress or discomfort. Sometimes it feels a little like he is guarding me as it seems to start when I finish up work for the evening.

The rescue seems to think he needs to be away from the city and are in favour or rehoming him to a quieter house maybe with just one owner in the country. We just love him so much that we really want to try everything we can - but its awful that my partner feels a little on edge with him when we should all be relaxing in the evening.

Rant over - he is sitting here next to me looking like butter wouldn't melt wanting all the cuddles this morning.

zedhead wrote: »
    Need to rant a bit. Feeling so disheartened. Milo seemed to be making such great progress over the last 2 weeks but the past few nights he is back to showing some aggression towards my partner in the evenings again. They are great together during the day - lots of play and training fun together - but after 5pm something seems to change. He is showing such mixed signals - last night he cuddled up to him, when my partner gave him a test pet he went in looking for more and then 2 seconds later snapped at his hand. No signs of any sort of stress or discomfort. Sometimes it feels a little like he is guarding me as it seems to start when I finish up work for the evening.

The rescue seems to think he needs to be away from the city and are in favour or rehoming him to a quieter house maybe with just one owner in the country. We just love him so much that we really want to try everything we can - but its awful that my partner feels a little on edge with him when we should all be relaxing in the evening.

Rant over - he is sitting here next to me looking like butter wouldn't melt wanting all the cuddles this morning.

(((HUGS)))

I have only admiration for your loving patience. Are there fireworks around?

Graces7 wrote: »
    (((HUGS)))

I have only admiration for your loving patience. Are there fireworks around?

Last night there were a few but it was much later after the snapping incident. Trying to figure out what is causing it. the only correlation seems to be me - either when I have just joined them in the evening or if we are all together and I leave the room for a few minutes. He is completely fine with me petting him - has never snapped or shown any warnings when I have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Zedhead, I hope it won't get to the point where you have to reconsider his living with you. Can your vet give any clue, or any dog behaviour people you could contact online. Or a trainer for tips? Just thinking off the top of my head. It sounds very stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Last night there were a few but it was much later after the snapping incident. Trying to figure out what is causing it. the only correlation seems to be me - either when I have just joined them in the evening or if we are all together and I leave the room for a few minutes. He is completely fine with me petting him - has never snapped or shown any warnings when I have been.

I think I'd leave it until you can get a behaviourist in to look at what's happening (or rig up a camera to video and send to them). I had a wee look and it was you who had a thread before and said that you couldn't get anyone in til after fireworks season ended. In that case:
    (i) i'd check that you're looking at a qualified behaviourist - I think you need one and it's not a protected term.
    (ii) book an appt for november, even if that's only over zoom
    (iii)take DBB's advice and don't have him on the couch or in any situation where he might become overwhelmed. Every time he's snapping he's rehearsing a behaviour that is working for him, that you don't want him practicing.

I have a nippy dog so I don't blame you for working away at it, but it takes a pile of structure and management to make sure everyone is safe.

Sorry; I had forgotten your earlier post. Maybe he is just generally upset by them and regressing?

As others say here, little to be done until after the fireworks have stopped .

madmaggie wrote: »
    Zedhead, I hope it won't get to the point where you have to reconsider his living with you. Can your vet give any clue, or any dog behaviour people you could contact online. Or a trainer for tips? Just thinking off the top of my head. It sounds very stressful.

I hope so too. Every time I even think of the possibility of saying goodbye to him I start crying.
    We were in touch with the vet, and a behaviourist plus the rescue and the trainer from the rescue. They all think it may be his cortisol levels being raised from the stress of the fireworks. He is on medication for them and he is noticeable less stressed (he was shedding an obscene amount before and it stopped the day after he took the first tablet).
    Choc Chip wrote: »
    I think I'd leave it until you can get a behaviourist in to look at what's happening (or rig up a camera to video and send to them). I had a wee look and it was you who had a thread before and said that you couldn't get anyone in til after fireworks season ended. In that case:
    (i) i'd check that you're looking at a qualified behaviourist - I think you need one and it's not a protected term.
    (iii)take DBB's advice and don't have him on the couch or in any situation where he might become overwhelmed. Every time he's snapping he's rehearsing a behaviour that is working for him, that you don't want him practicing.

I have a nippy dog so I don't blame you for working away at it, but it takes a pile of structure and management to make sure everyone is safe.

Thanks so much - definitely looking a qualified behaviourist - one ive seen recommended on here and was recommended by the rescue and a trainer we had seen back in July. Will see if we can book something in for November.

He was not allowed back on the couch yesterday evening and we will keep him off for the time being.

We are also muzzle training him at the moment - because of his reactivity on the leash we wanted to be able to safely see how he does with my parents dog in an off leash scenario (the rescue had said he was good with dogs off leash but we want to be safe). I hope we don;t have to use it in the house but its probably good he can wear one if needs be.

Boycat is Ok!

This is a "I wanna be your only cat" campaign. lol... Revolt against these crazy young cats around the place,

I think letting Tonto inside was the final straw!

So now he is a limpet . I am currently about to try to move him over as I need to knit and he is commandeering my arm... the bed is not good enough; HAS to be my arm and shoulder! I used to have a double bed in my last two rentals and this is a small single.

Sweet relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Boycat looking for extra attention. My 20 year old cat is very clingy. Her mother and siblings all passed away, so perhaps I'm her surrogate family. Or the food supplier and human hot water bottle, if I'm being cynical.

• Advertisement

Boycat looking for extra attention. My 20 year old cat is very clingy. Her mother and siblings all passed away, so perhaps I'm her surrogate family. Or the food supplier and human hot water bottle, if I'm being cynical.

Nah! Accurate, Love means providing.

It reminds me of a dear soul who works providing for homeless rough sleepers.

"Love is love. Food is love with a full belly.

As for HWB? They are hotter than we are! A cat behind my knees heals the ache! ;)

So admiring that 20 year old AND YOU! I hope and pray that Boycat reaches that. He is the longest lived of all the myriad cats I have had.

Choc Chip wrote: »

Agree totally; would this not be a good time to pause in training and just be together?

Someone here uses Rescue Remedy and Valerian ?

Agree totally; would this not be a good time to pause in training and just be together?

Someone here uses Rescue Remedy and Valerian ?

The training at the moment is more focused on tiring him out more and engaging his brain to tire him out since we can't walk him during the day at the moment and I worry one 45 min walk isn't enough for such a young energetic dog. So lots of recall games , fetch in the house focusing on making him drop and leave the ball and of course the muzzle desensitizing which is slow process. We are also doing a bit of training with him to desensitize him to the front door which is working really well - he was a devil for barking like crazy whenever someone knocked - but now once he is allowed in the hall to see who it is he's great at being calm.

I think my partner just has to learn that just because he wants to pet Milo, doesn't me he can or should. He's our dog, not our toy (i'm probably being a bit harsh but he's never had a dog before so I suppose its still a bit of a novelty to him)

The training at the moment is more focused on tiring him out more and engaging his brain to tire him out since we can't walk him during the day at the moment and I worry one 45 min walk isn't enough for such a young energetic dog. So lots of recall games , fetch in the house focusing on making him drop and leave the ball and of course the muzzle desensitizing which is slow process. We are also doing a bit of training with him to desensitize him to the front door which is working really well - he was a devil for barking like crazy whenever someone knocked - but now once he is allowed in the hall to see who it is he's great at being calm.

I think my partner just has to learn that just because he wants to pet Milo, doesn't me he can or should. He's our dog, not our toy (i'm probably being a bit harsh but he's never had a dog before so I suppose its still a bit of a novelty to him)

Tired just reading this! Slow down a little?

This is ridiculous! The cats have stolen my pillow and my bed. Boycat is a big boy and is again curled up on the part of the pillow I am not using. Fast asleep.. Wonder if he would notice if I swiftly picked him up and put him further down the bed.. Oh but Jacob is already under the covers... lol... snoring he is!

Just before I turn the light out... Then he cannot give me the sad, deprived, reproachful stare..

This is ridiculous! The cats have stolen my pillow and my bed. Boycat is a big boy and is again curled up on the part of the pillow I am not using. Fast asleep.. Wonder if he would notice if I swiftly picked him up and put him further down the bed.. Oh but Jacob is already under the covers... lol... snoring he is!

Just before I turn the light out... Then he cannot give me the sad, deprived, reproachful stare..

OK ; I caved in! Getting him off my pillow was the easy part. But the sitting on the floor by the bed staring woundedly at me was another matter altogether... He has emotional blackmail down to a fine art. I tried tuning the light off but I knew he was still there.. The STARE! He never blinks.

So he and Jacob spent the night in my bed again! It is very cold here just now so that is fine .

Tired just reading this! Slow down a little?

It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. Only 5 minute bursts a couple of times a day. And only when he is looking for engagement. If he's chilling we leave him be.

OK ; I caved in! Getting him off my pillow was the easy part. But the sitting on the floor by the bed staring woundedly at me was another matter altogether... He has emotional blackmail down to a fine art. I tried tuning the light off but I knew he was still there.. The STARE! He never blinks.

So he and Jacob spent the night in my bed again! It is very cold here just now so that is fine .

What a gorgeous kitty!!

What a gorgeous kitty!!

HUGE smile here! He is a star. A close companion. I rescued him and his 2 siblings from the cat shelter from hell. They came infected with feline enteritis. Pullled them through, but one died of a heart problem. The woman had told me they were all female so they were Amata, Beata and Cara. When I found " Cara " atop of Beata he got renamed Boycat

Sixteen years ago. Beata died a couple of years ago, the same weekend as the dog ; Boycat is huge, and a champion ratter. And the most affectionate cat ever. . He lives for food and is a total thief; sweet tooth! Follows me wherever I go. As affectionate as any dog

And a one person cat. Mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

... When I found " Cara " atop of Beata he got renamed Boycat...

He was just living up to his name a little too enthusiastically ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

fineso.mom wrote: »
    He was just living up to his name a little too enthusiastically ðŸ˜

lol... His "future" name! It was just a "rehearsal" and they were both at the vets within days :eek:;)

Selkie, my part-Oriental. went awol two days ago just before the storm hit. She has a habit of doing this, but after more than 36 hours... Early today there was a pause in the onslaught, so I sallied forth, calling her name over and over. Detected a very thin wail ( she has that oriental voice!) and went on calling until at last she raced in.

She was not sure what to do first ! Love me, or eat! She has done both very copiously and is now fast asleep abed with me.

Yes I turn into an anxious cat-wife when one is missing. I am slowly adjusting to the ways of outdoor/indoor cats who live in a wilderness place an dare free to roam.. It changes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

lol... His "future" name! It was just a "rehearsal" and they were both at the vets within days :eek:;)

No, I meant 'Cara'. It's the Irish for 'friend'. ðŸ˜

fineso.mom wrote: »
    No, I meant 'Cara'. It's the Irish for 'friend'. ðŸ˜

Oh OF COURSE! Sorry; my brain is awol these days. lol... and it was the "a" female ending … Yes perfect, and yes they were bosom buddies! Used to sleep al intertwined so you could not tell where one ended and the other began.

I was sitting at the kitchen table being fairly idle, when husband started roaring from upstairs, "HEY! LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DOING!" So I hopped over to the back window to check on the Newfie. He had pulled a bedsheet off the clothesline, rolled it in a ball and was humping it, right there in the middle of the garden.

I was sitting at the kitchen table being fairly idle, when husband started roaring from upstairs, "HEY! LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DOING!" So I hopped over to the back window to check on the Newfie. He had pulled a bedsheet off the clothesline, rolled it in a ball and was humping it, right there in the middle of the garden.

roflol.. the poor frustrated thing that he is! Now that is clever really! Sheer desperate ingenuity!

Male feline " politics"!

I have just had to go out into the bitterly cold air ( POOOOOOOOOOOOR me!) twice to separate warring cats.

First time it was Stinkertom being ejected by Tonto; all I could see was a heaving mass of black and white fur.... Then it was Oliver trying to oust Tonto..

OLiver having been ousted from the house for attacking Jacob... ( he has been neutered) I scored a direct hit with a jug of cold water .. last seen heading north at great speed..

Wide awake now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Such a night out here as gales rampage and deluges batter the windows.

The cats are in a feeding frenzy! You would think they had never been fed before, and they cannot seem to realise that the more they get in my way the longer it will take me to organise their food...

However, there is peace for now.

Still looking for cat food by POST that is within my reach. ( Post as opposed to couriers). There has been a hiatus locally and I am deeply thankful I had stored extra but need a second bow to this fiddle. Even just dry.

And with the storms raging the next days. ah well that is what the stores were bought in for.

Just occurs to me that the weather at Hallowe'en may well dampen the … ardour of the fireworks brigade - and make life easier for the Fire Brigade. As the old saying goes, it is an ill wind that bodes no good..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Great pic JCD.

Collected my kittens this morning from their overnight stay at the vets (after being neutered). They have recovered really well and are enjoying being back with their Mama. I didn't sleep a wink the last few nights thinking of them. Hope pets everywhere are safe and sound on this awful morning.

Advertisement