Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Congrats Maggie, hope he settles in quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks everyone. He's very nervous, the shelter staff said he was probably beaten. He'll never know a bad day again.

Graces7, I phoned up yesterday and made an appointment. Today I went and got acquainted with him, a pocketful of treats really helped. When they said yes, I had to get a dog licence. Back again, did some minimal paperwork and that was it. He's chipped and vaccinated. Quite thin, but I'll sort that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It sounds like he’s come from the council pound rather than a rescue. Very brave of you to take on a dog with unknown history. I hope he settles in smoothly and remember if any issues do arise there are some knowledgeable people here in the forum. Hopefully nothing major will crop up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

madmaggie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. He's very nervous, the shelter staff said he was probably beaten. He'll never know a bad day again.

Hi Maggie, I know that shelter, they’re great! I took on a very nervous rescue myself and have come a long way with her. I got a trainer to do a home visit and it helped a lot in making progress. PM if you want his contact information, he covers your area, and it wasn’t as expensive as you might think!

• Advertisement

Thanks again all. I've had rescue dogs before, it's wonderful to see their true personalities emerge. And thanks for all the offers of help and advice, very appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

madmaggie wrote: »
    Graces7, I phoned up yesterday and made an appointment. Today I went and got acquainted with him, a pocketful of treats really helped. When they said yes, I had to get a dog licence. Back again, did some minimal paperwork and that was it. He's chipped and vaccinated. Quite thin, but I'll sort that!

You have made a cold morning warm! Bless you!

Young CeCe is back with her hooligan antics. I had a large plastic tub of sweets on the coffee table, she just kept pouncing on it, and I kept shooing her away. She was too fast for me, and got the tub such a whack with a paw that it flew off the table and hit the Newfie square in the face. He was delighted with the new game, so I then had to wrestle the tub off him. It's in the press now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Wish me luck for tomorrow, my big boy is off to his 3rd visit in roughly 3 weeks to the vet. :( Really worried about him. Not sure what's going on, his behaviour is completely off as well.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

VonVix wrote: »
    Wish me luck for tomorrow, my big boy is off to his 3rd visit in roughly 3 weeks to the vet. :( Really worried about him. Not sure what's going on, his behaviour is completely off as well.

:( Fingers crossed for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ah Vonvix big hugs from MrC & Esmae and me too that he’s all better soon...

Aw good luck VonVix. Hope he gets sorted.

I hope all goes well. It can be so stressful when things don't get sorted out quickly. Best of luck to you and your boy.

A glitch here! My shopping comes over on the ferry every two weeks and high on the list is of course cat food. As in four x12 tins cases.

Occasionally the picking and packing is done oddly... Yesterday came 12 tins only!

There were other bizarre errors; 2 huge bacon joints instead of rashers. (the cost !) and some nasty spread instead of butter ( I am very detailed in my order)

I can manage for me but!

Hopefully they will find a way to get the extra over. I do have some emergency stock but...

The cats do not know! SSSSSHHHHHH!

Young CeCe is back with her hooligan antics. I had a large plastic tub of sweets on the coffee table, she just kept pouncing on it, and I kept shooing her away. She was too fast for me, and got the tub such a whack with a paw that it flew off the table and hit the Newfie square in the face. He was delighted with the new game, so I then had to wrestle the tub off him. It's in the press now!

lol.. These critters are a tonic and a blessing. Never a dull moment with their love and the happier they are the zanier they are.

Thank you. I thought you were going to say the tub opened! Imagine !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Waaaaahhhh :( I want Krispy Kreme! So wish there was one near me.

Yay! I can't wait for secret santa! :)

You make me crave doughnuts. And Krispy Kreme. What a beautiful taste!!!

Thanks so much guys, hoping all goes smoothly today.

Thanks so much guys, hoping all goes smoothly today.

What are your vets like with restrictions? Our’s is kerbside although the other week I was stressing out a bit - the vet brought me in for a chat. It was like Indiana Jones or something - going into an examination room! :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    What are your vets like with restrictions? Our’s is kerbside although the other week I was stressing out a bit - the vet brought me in for a chat. It was like Indiana Jones or something - going into an examination room! :pac:

It's a new vet I'm dealing with since I'm in the process of moving house. This will be the first time I can't enter the examination room, as you can imagine, I'm not too pleased! Last time I visited it was before the heavier restrictions, so I'll see how it plays out...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

It's a new vet I'm dealing with since I'm in the process of moving house. This will be the first time I can't enter the examination room, as you can imagine, I'm not too pleased! Last time I visited it was before the heavier restrictions, so I'll see how it plays out...

same here when my wife and I brought our fella to the vet, we were not left inside.

Although on his recent check up 2 weeks ago there was no problem, but suspect covid has meant the restrictions are upped even more again

• Advertisement

Back from the vet, all is well. They were very good to us and let me in the reception area with him to be checked over, so I didn't have to hand him over to anyone, that made him feel better too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Its 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Its still bright out, why oh why are there fireworks going off. I can't even safely take him for a walk at 3pm without traumatizing poor Milo. Ended up having to jog home just to stop him choking himself trying to get home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

zedhead wrote: »
    Its 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Its still bright out, why oh why are there fireworks going off. I can't even safely take him for a walk at 3pm without traumatizing poor Milo. Ended up having to jog home just to stop him choking himself trying to get home.

My german shepherd is over 8 stone , huge is length and height and when I am out with him on the lead and hears the fireworks panics, but I have to reassure him and then he is ok.

does look funny me trying to protect him, I am the guard dog :D

We don’t do an afternoon/evening walk Aug - halloween with them here - he’s just on alert to every noise he hears. :( We do his physio exercises instead and then once or twice a week we drive over to our weekend park for a lunchtime walk - to get back some of my extra hours worked since I’m permanently working from home!

I have just read on breakingnews.ie that the Gardaí have seized more than 2.400 fireworks in Dublin, worth more approximately E1,800.

Talk about having money to burn... but at least a few less bangs to terrify your dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

tk123 wrote: »
    We don’t do an afternoon/evening walk Aug - halloween with them here - he’s just on alert to every noise he hears. :( We do his physio exercises instead and then once or twice a week we drive over to our weekend park for a lunchtime walk - to get back some of my extra hours worked since I’m permanently working from home!

We played the recall game with my partner upstairs and me downstairs. Milo LOVES it and probably gets more exercise and running than he does on his afternoon walk. Between that and some additional training exercises we have made up for the fact his walk was only 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have just read on breakingnews.ie that the Gardaí have seized more than 2.400 fireworks in Dublin, worth more approximately E1,800.

Talk about having money to burn... but at least a few less bangs to terrify your dogs.

Unfortunately that little raid in D8 yesterday was for nought, been going off steadily for the last few hours. Esmae is too tired to care as she’s exhausted & Mr C is dosed up with his meds.

em_cat wrote: »
    Unfortunately that little raid in D8 yesterday was for nought, been going off steadily for the last few hours. Esmae is too tired to care as she’s exhausted & Mr C is dosed up with his meds.

So sorry. Yet folk are complaining about not being given enough money? Pull the other one; it has bells on, as we used to say.

Some here may remember what I went through with the thunderphobic collie I took in way back. Then it was crowbangers night and day.

So I understand and commiserate fully.

Bawling my eyes out... I'm so worried about my dog.

• Advertisement

Bawling my eyes out... I'm so worried about my dog.

:(:(:( **HUGS** That was me last year with Lucy. :(:(:(. Do they know what's wrong now?

Advertisement