Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

madmaggie wrote: »
    I recently adopted a dog from the council shelter. They were very insistent on the enclosed area, and someone at home. I was asked a lot of questions over the phone, and when I went to view the dog. They said it is to avoid dogs being returned. They were very thorough, but everything was in the dog's best interest.

Thanks, I will keep an eye.
    I understand the concern and I would probably pay attention to the place where the dogs go if I was in charge of them.

The funny part is that half of our jobs is outdoors. On my free time I'm outdoors. In other countries dogs are well used to flats and if they are given the right attention they are happy. I have lived with puppies and dogs before and they were just fine.

I can always buy a dog although it's not easy since ads are finally regulated. I wouldn't like to do that, not for the money but because I am very aware that there are dogs in need of a house. I would prefer to donate the same amount of money, but some of the shelter's attitude is nearly go and buy a dog. Ours are better off in a kennel than in a house with no garden. Confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

[QUOTE=Deleted User;115190030]I bought Newfie a buffalo horn from the petshop at his daycare today. He has a postman's leg but I heard they can be dangerous for dogs so I got a replacement chew. I brought him into the house with the horn in a paper bag, and made a big fuss of "Look at this! Look! For you!" and let him rip up the bag and grab the horn. He picked it up, suddenly dropped it and ran for his life. He approached it, ran backwards, and was trembling in the kitchen. I called him back and played with it, showing him it was all ok. He eventually came over and took it back, brought it into the garden and examined it carefully. Sorted. New favourite chew!

I hope he doesn't throw it around like he did with the postman's leg. Just as heavy and destructive. He especially likes to throw it at our shins when we're sitting down![/QUOTE]

Reading this post as if I had no idea what you are writing about! Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Hoping I don't jinx anything by writing this post, but my big fella is doing really well post-surgery, wound is healing really well and his mood is fabulous. Wondering if it was the more intense painkillers that I requested for him helped do the job. He needs his cone for another 3 days, he's also doing really well with that too, I imagined he would be more annoyed/distressed with it on, but he's powering through and has been in a better mood than he has in a long time.

We are not out of the woods yet, but we are no longer on the downward spiral we were on.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

VonVix wrote: »
    Hoping I don't jinx anything by writing this post, but my big fella is doing really well post-surgery, wound is healing really well and his mood is fabulous. Wondering if it was the more intense painkillers that I requested for him helped do the job. He needs his cone for another 3 days, he's also doing really well with that too, I imagined he would be more annoyed/distressed with it on, but he's powering through and has been in a better mood than he has in a long time.

We are not out of the woods yet, but we are no longer on the downward spiral we were on.

Ah thank god! Fingers crossed for you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

VonVix wrote: »

Great news, glad to hear he is doing well after the op. Mind yourselves over the coming days.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, it means a lot. :o We are also moving house tomorrow, so I'm so happy he's going to get to enjoy the garden he always deserved to have. I'm hoping the change of scene will do him good, too. We will also be a stone's throw from our vet which will be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Working nights this week and since we had finally got a good nighttime routine going with Milo so scared of messing that up. Had to let him out of his crate last night at about 1am as he woke up and wouldn't settle again - I had work calls so had limited time to try and calm him. He ended up sleeping at the top of the stairs after he realised my office was no fun and not cosy but got into our spare room at some point and chewed a bigger hole in a duvet cover he had got to a few weeks ago.

Tonight am afraid to leave my office to go to the toilet, afraid to use the kettle or coffee machine in case I wake him again and trying to really supress my natural very loud speaking voice while on calls. I feel like a mad woman :p:p

Not doing well, so I am focussing on the cats ' needs now. A bad time of year and it has been deluging for over 24 hours here now.

When I opened the door early on, a tide of dripping wet cats flowed in! Now all is quiet as I had a tray of raw chicken drumsticks ready... Happy cats all asleep now and I may join them.... Snug abed with a new hot water bottle ( SOMEONE chewed a hole in the last one as I learned the wet way..)

Stay safe out there!

Just been struggling to get the fire to light with a dripping wet Boycat as near to my ear as he could get yelling FEED ME NOW!

And it is only November....

Cats are strange. Boycat has seemed a little.... standoffish..of later. Rather than curl up with me he has claimed the kitchen chair, with handknit blankets piled thereon,

Now suddenly he is under the bedcovers etc again... Purring away... Maybe the weather? Lovely to have that anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I haven't posted here in a long while but feel the need to today. Our beloved husky, Ella, has been in poor health for a while now. She's 12...would be 13 in March. Got the heartbreaking news today that her kidneys are failing. Unless she decides to go herself before then, Saturday is the day we'll have to say goodbye. My heart actually hurts. She has always been the best, best dog you could ask for. We nearly lost her a few years ago to peritonitis, but she fought her way through it. My little boy, who is 15 months, ADORES her and it kills me that he won't have more time with her. My heart is broken, the tears won't stop and I'd do anything to keep her forever.

As always, we'll do what's right and kindest for her. She's always been there when we needed her and we won't let her down when she needs us most.

My heart is broken.

Ah I’m so sorry to hear about Ella. It’s just a horrible illness - Lucy will be gone a year next month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’m so sorry jellybear, I can imagine the emotional toll it’s taking on your family. Poor Ella, that kidney disease is horrible, it took my beautiful boy last year too :(

Aw Jelly, I'm so sorry to hear that. There's nothing I can say but we all now how you're feeling here, so you're not alone. She's a beautiful girl and lucky to be so loved. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Jellybear, I am so sorry to hear about your Ella. You must be dreading Saturday coming round. It is the kindest thing to do, and I admire your courage in putting her first. I was in your situation 5 years ago, my beloved spaniel had kidney and heart trouble.

Thanks all for your support. Lying here wide awake...can't sleep with the thoughts of it. She's such a sensitive soul we're trying not to let her see us upset as it would only upset her. As much as we love them, they really do break our hearts don't they...

jellybear wrote: »
    Thanks all for your support. Lying here wide awake...can't sleep with the thoughts of it. She's such a sensitive soul we're trying not to let her see us upset as it would only upset her. As much as we love them, they really do break our hearts don't they...

(((HUGS)))

Will light a candle here for you today. Everyone here knows what this is like and is with you in heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

jellybear I 100% feel your pain. Our little cat went with kidney issues too almost 2 weeks ago and I've just been an emotional wreck since then. This is the hardest thing to do but enjoy every second you have left with Ella and be kind to yourself for the next while. *hugs*

Like my mam said to me at the time, nothing anyone can say will take away your pain but it's still a small tiny comfort to know that kind people are thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Jellybear take some of her fur in case you want to get a keepsake at some stage. I couldn't bring myself to cut Lucy's fur (knowing what it was for) at the time and really regretted it. I managed to make up a small bag by plucking hairs from her fleece and have had it months. I finally sent it off on Monday along with some of Baileys while I was at it to get two lovely beads made.

It's her time...appointment booked for 6pm. You might all think of her then and wish her a safe journey to Rainbow Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ah jellybear, my hearts broken for you. Such a beautiful girl. We are only their care givers for such a short time. Look after yourself.

It's her time...appointment booked for 6pm. You might all think of her then and wish her a safe journey to Rainbow Bridge.

She will live and love forever in your heart, safe, strong, well. I think of Scallywag running down the lane and pleading to race down to the beach, not as she was at the end.

Bless you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Thinking of you jellybear. It’s the hardest decision but one of the greatest kindnesses we can give our beloved pets. Have a candle lit for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Thinking of you jellybear. Hope you are doing ok this evening.

Thanks so much for all the lovely support and kind words. Ella went to sleep very calmly and peacefully this evening. Our vet is an absolute gentleman and made it so easy. I chose not to be there, but my parents and sister where and they were so touched by his kindness.
    We have always buried our family pets but my poor dad said recently that his days of burying them are over...it breaks his heart (we've had a LOT of animals over the years!) So we've chosen cremation. It's been a very emotional few days and I'm just focusing on the fact that we gave her the best life she could ever have had and we loved her with every piece of our hearts.

Just realised we've lost 5 pets since December 2019...Each loved to within an inch of their life :D

Thanks so much for all the lovely support and kind words. Ella went to sleep very calmly and peacefully this evening. Our vet is an absolute gentleman and made it so easy. I chose not to be there, but my parents and sister where and they were so touched by his kindness.
    We have always buried our family pets but my poor dad said recently that his days of burying them are over...it breaks his heart (we've had a LOT of animals over the years!) So we've chosen cremation. It's been a very emotional few days and I'm just focusing on the fact that we gave her the best life she could ever have had and we loved her with every piece of our hearts.

Just realised we've lost 5 pets since December 2019...Each loved to within an inch of their life :D

Rest today and do something you enjoy. Just rest and care for you. We all here know what this is and what it does. We all have our memories and sorrows to feel for and with you. Rest in that caring.

Bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

So Sorry Jellybear, We'll be thinking of you, a hard year for you all, losing so many loved pet's. but you know, you done the kind and loving thing us as pet owners have to do. take care now x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

After the announcements today from government, I am so exited to get back to work. I miss grooming all the puppers. I know some groomers did get around the restrictions this time but because I’d technically be considered high risk, I wasn’t taking any chances. I might have to fit 9 weeks work into 3 weeks but I just can’t wait to see all my favourite dogs again.
    And I might be a little tipsy and waxing lyrical, but I feel like boards, and specifically this forum had so much to do with the journey I’ve taken towards this career I love so much and I’ll forever be grateful :)

I am fighting off Boycat's clawed feet under the bedclothes! He seems to think I am warmer than I am so is intent on getting hot. And that " treadling" is so painful! OUCH!

He is a barometer now. Just now ( before 6 am) straight in from his toilet break and straight under the convers. Later, when the fire is lit etc he will revert to the kitchen chair.

If you want to know where is warm? Watch the cat!

• Advertisement

Life is chaotic right now. Between my dog's health issues, moving house, trying to fix up the house and now trying to find a home for my friend's dog. I have had a huge amount of help and guidance from two boardsies here, tough situations really bring out the best in people.

Love this forum, love all you guys. Yes, I am feeling sappy.

Advertisement