Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Has anyone else noticed their pets become extra hungry when the colder weather starts? Moose is like a bottomless pit at the moment. They are left with dry food all day to graze on, plus more in a puzzle feeder which all three cats love. As well as that, they get wet food 3 times a day. The last two weeks, Moose has been finishing off his own bowl of food in the evenings, then cleaning up whatever peach and cream have left in theirs, then an hour or two later he’ll coming begging for his second dinner and I have to give him another half pouch of food. He’s always been such a fussy eater so this is definitely a welcome change to see him eat, but he’s going to eat me out of house and home soon!!
    And with all the extra food he’s eating, he’s still such a skinny boy. He’s perfectly healthy and has super muscles but not a pick of fat on his body!

Yep our 5 are now like a pack of lions at meal times. They normally get 1/2 pouch wet each first thing then some nuts mid morning & mid-late afternoon then another 1/2 pouch each around 8pm. But it's becoming more difficult to get them to stretch 'til 8pm especially since the time changed and it became darker earlier. They're all on target weights at last check ups so don't want them to put on a winter kg but it's hard at times when you get those pleading eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ha ours go mental this time of year too, I think it because of DST, the spring forward goes without notice, however, fall back and pure frenzy around 16:30 thinking it’s nearly 17:30....I’m trying to work & I've wheeking & tail wagging galore which makes zoom meetings eventful...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I now have 3 cats (all "arrived" here - uninvited :D) - two are bottomless pits - voracious - all year round. One eats only the most expensive cat food. The cost of keeping this lot fed is breathtaking! I am also seriously into trying to cut down on rubbish - my kitchen bin is nearly exclusively full of empty cat pouchs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Thursday can't come soon enough. Trying to come up with a plan with the vet to help my boy, it's just a process of elimination and different medications to try and figure out what will work for him, I'm beginning to wonder if something even more is going on and it hasn't been discovered yet. Immuno suppressants have helped half his problem, while his other issue is deteriorating. He has become so depressed since all this started.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anyone else noticed their pets become extra hungry when the colder weather starts? Moose is like a bottomless pit at the moment. They are left with dry food all day to graze on, plus more in a puzzle feeder which all three cats love. As well as that, they get wet food 3 times a day. The last two weeks, Moose has been finishing off his own bowl of food in the evenings, then cleaning up whatever peach and cream have left in theirs, then an hour or two later he’ll coming begging for his second dinner and I have to give him another half pouch of food. He’s always been such a fussy eater so this is definitely a welcome change to see him eat, but he’s going to eat me out of house and home soon!!
    And with all the extra food he’s eating, he’s still such a skinny boy. He’s perfectly healthy and has super muscles but not a pick of fat on his body!

It is natural enough and we do the same! More is needed to burn off to keep warm. Mine are like ravening beasts these days. Raw chicken joints slow them down a little which does help. ie if they eat too fast they do not feel the fullness quickly enough to make them pause?

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »
    Thursday can't come soon enough. Trying to come up with a plan with the vet to help my boy, it's just a process of elimination and different medications to try and figure out what will work for him, I'm beginning to wonder if something even more is going on and it hasn't been discovered yet. Immuno suppressants have helped half his problem, while his other issue is deteriorating. He has become so depressed since all this started.

I’m so sorry to hear that VonVix, it really stinks when it’s trial & error. I hope it starts getting better for you both soon 🤗

As Selkie was fast asleep on my bed I saw her wee pink tongue sticking out and just could not resist...

why has it come on sideways! Drives me s-catty!

Please can some kind person change it to upright and maybe even show it on the post1 Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    As Selkie was fast asleep on my bed I saw her wee pink tongue sticking out and just could not resist...

why has it come on sideways! Drives me s-catty!

Please can some kind person change it to upright and maybe even show it on the post1 Thank you

Ahhh she looks cute

aonb wrote: »
    I now have 3 cats (all "arrived" here - uninvited :D) - two are bottomless pits - voracious - all year round. One eats only the most expensive cat food. The cost of keeping this lot fed is breathtaking! I am also seriously into trying to cut down on rubbish - my kitchen bin is nearly exclusively full of empty cat pouchs :(

My "lot" eat what is offered or go hungry.... NB one of their meals is raw chicken so that is fine. The other is SV tinned and in winter I mix raw oats in with it. NB they DO eat it. lol.. And are fine and well fleshed.

The only exception is part-Oriental Selkie. She was bone thin when she came and refused to eat. I had seen the same SV food as we use in the rescue place and think that as the lady had nine cats, Selkie went hungry and it was not noticed .

She refuses the cheaper kibble so I upgraded that to Go Cat and she loves the raw chicken. Her pedigree ancestry shows through.

Just we all cope as best we can in our caring for these cats....I know I spend more on the catfood than I do on mine1 And am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ye must be all broke with the mad hungry cats! My 20 year old eats half a tin of the cat pate a day, or one of the little trays. It sounds a tiny amount of food, but all she does is sleep, and has the shiniest coat ever.

• Advertisement

Ugg, such a headache, my poor doggies are sick with worry for me, I’ve not to been too well all the stress with our build is beyond anything I’ve ever endured! Normally it’s me dragging them to the vet, but they went with me to the GP today as I’ve not slept in a week....hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so I can get some well needed exercise with Esmae.

em_cat wrote: »
    Ugg, such a headache, my poor doggies are sick with worry for me, I’ve not to been too well all the stress with our build is beyond anything I’ve ever endured! Normally it’s me dragging them to the vet, but they went with me to the GP today as I’ve not slept in a week....hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow so I can get some well needed exercise with Esmae.

(((HUGS)))

Living with pain I know how that drags down.

Life out here in stormy weather consists of checking who is in and who is out... And sure as eggs is eggs, as soon as I get warm and snug abed, the tapping at the door will start.... "LET ME IN .. NOW!"

So headcounting is the order of the day...

Just now, there are four in and one out; one under the bedclothes...Tonto is out as well in spite of many successful incursions.. Like a bullet from a gun he is! Homing in on any food there is....

Love them all! My furry mates! Earlier today ( I mean yesterday) there was not a cat in the house and it felt.... dreadful! How do folk manage without critters..

Hoping you are bettering...

I’m so sorry to hear that VonVix, it really stinks when it’s trial & error. I hope it starts getting better for you both soon 🤗

He's in for surgery next week. Symptoms aren't lining up with the original diagnosis again. :(

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hoping you are bettering...

Ahh, thanks working on it, just frustrating neighbors...I think you’ve the right idea...I wanted to move out of the city, thought dun laoghaire would be far enough, turns out not far enough.

He's in for surgery next week. Symptoms aren't lining up with the original diagnosis again. :(

Oh my, I’m so sorry it’s so severe and hope he gets some relief soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We lost our little cross breed this week. Relatively young at 11 but it was his time. He had cancer. We got an extra 6 months after diagnosis so grateful for that.

Knine wrote: »
    We lost our little cross breed this week. Relatively young at 11 but it was his time. He had cancer. We got an extra 6 months after diagnosis so grateful for that.

Sorry to hear that Knine, sounds as if he had the best life ever with you and your family.

Ahh, thanks working on it, just frustrating neighbors...I think you’ve the right idea...I wanted to move out of the city, thought dun laoghaire would be far enough, turns out not far enough.

Many many years ago I started specifying " no neighbours" on any search for a home so I understand ….

When I started looking islandwise ? Folk were starting mentioning " sheltered accommodation" because of my age. So I keep very apart now. I love looking at houses on daft and rent ie; and stray to rightmove…. lol....

Winter will surely be easier? We are all hunkered down out here. Cat food arrived yesterday, so snugged in for the duration. Just me and the cats. Perfection. ( My food arrived too of course. )

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »

So sorry for your loss, Knine

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Sorry for your loss Knine, look after yourselves.

Oh my, I’m so sorry it’s so severe and hope he gets some relief soon...

Same, I fear I may lose him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( oh no :(

tk123 wrote: »
    :( oh no :(

The big C keeps popping up in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Ah god, thoughts and prayers for better outcome.

Just watched Boycat literally getting blown along the path so fast he missed the door.. Poor boy was so confused... When I called him back he managed to make his way. ( three day gale happening out here) He now refuses to go out.. ;)

Oliver has come in with the feline equivalent of a black eye … I think he was again defending OUR territory! Poor wee lad! Street cat as he is, he is no match for Stinkertom!

Not lost his appetite though! Comfort eating? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Getting very windy here now in Carlow. We're in a sheltered spot, but thinking of Grace and her feline family. Hope ye are all safe in the wild west!

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    Getting very windy here now in Carlow. We're in a sheltered spot, but thinking of Grace and her feline family. Hope ye are all safe in the wild west!

Ah thank you. All safe here; Boycat is out again. They are so low to the ground you see!

And there is abundant shelter; the ruined cottage next door still has a roof etc and the bushes at the back here give protection.

Selkie is out on one of her outings. She always comes back...

So far not so bad.

But not due to be yet. It has been so noisy the last two nights.

Take care over there too!

Advertisement