Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was just window-shopping on eBay there.
    I think I'll give up any hope of ever owning a 64DD.
    Was looking at a Doctor V64 but I have an Everdrive 64 so can't justify it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone heard the uncompressed Super Mario World soundtrack?

It's very interesting.

The recent nintendo hack uncovered the original smw uncompressed samples and someone rebuilt the sequencer files with the uncompressed samples:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So erh... the blast arrived today... YAY!

Got it in the front door easily enough after removing the control panel - YAY!

Second door though... that proved to bit of an issue. There's a door right in front of the first stairwell. The clearence was just shy of a CM or so.

I had planned to just take the door off and then put it back but the brass fittings had been painted over and repainted over over the years - screws included.

I gave up after 30 minutes and only having successfully removed two screws.

So... the thing that i thought would have to happen definitely had to happen... I had to strip the unit down and break it in to a few different pieces.

That JIS screwdriver arrived just in time and is DEFINITELY the proper screwdriver... gripped the machine tightened screws from the factory easily and although I had to give the screws a lot of torque to loosen them up... eventually they all came out. Bar one. One bastarding screw decided to strip in any case.

Right on the base of the unit. It was late at that stage so I called it a night, apologised to my neighbours for it being in the way just inside the front door...

They're super understanding... even the downstairs neighbour that cleared the way along the first landing of all of his stuff that was cluttering it up.

His wife is mad as him... me... us... as a result but the homebrew beers that I gave them last night is calming her down apparently. So yeah... one of the scenarios that I thought might go wrong with this did... but I'm confident that I can get that screw out tomorrow. Going to try CathalDub's tip and will also head down to the DIY store to get one of those drillbits that gets out stripped screws.

Here are some pics from today's adventures:

EwxvHWjXEAIQr7T?format=jpg&name=large

OopxNnn.jpg

So... neighbours have been super understanding about it all thankfully, even about the parts that kinda went wrong, delaying some of the operation by a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

MrVestek wrote: »
    So erh... the blast arrived today... YAY!

Got it in the front door easily enough after removing the control panel - YAY!

Second door though... that proved to bit of an issue. There's a door right in front of the first stairwell. The clearence was just shy of a CM or so.

I had planned to just take the door off and then put it back but the brass fittings had been painted over and repainted over over the years - screws included.

I have up after 30 minutes and only having successfully removed two screws.

So... the thing that i thought would have to happen definitely had to happen... I had to strip the unit down and break it in to a few different pieces.

That JIS screwdriver arrived just in time and is DEFINITELY the proper screwdriver... gripped the machine tightened screws from the factory easily and although I had to give the screws a lot of torque to loosen them up... eventually they all came out. Bar one. One bastarding screw decided to strp in any case.

Right on the base of the unit. It was late at that stage so I called it a night, apologised to my neighbours for it being in the way just inside the front door...

They're super understanding... even the downstairs neighbour that cleared the way along the first landing of all of his stuff that was cluttering it up.

His wife is mad as him... me... us... as a result but the homebrew beers that I gave them last night is calming her down apparently. So yeah... one of the scenarios that I thought might go wrong with this did... but I'm confident that I can get that screw out tomorrow. Going to try CathalDub's tip and will also head down to the DIY store to get one of those drillbits that gets out stripped screws.

Here are some pics from today's adventures:

EwxvHWjXEAIQr7T?format=jpg&name=large

OopxNnn.jpg

So... neighbours have been super understanding about it all thankfully, even about the parts that kinda went wrong, delaying some of the operation by a day.
    Glad to hear all arrived safe and sound, hope you enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

For stripped screws, you can put an elastic band between the screw and screwdriver. It'll give a bit of grip and at least get the thing out. Works for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The_B_Man wrote: »
    For stripped screws, you can put an elastic band between the screw and screwdriver. It'll give a bit of grip and at least get the thing out. Works for me anyway.

Also some can do with tightening first before loosening, sounds counter intuitive but often works, twist one way and the other can break up surface corrosion that fuses them. A dremel type drill with a suitable disc can also be used to put a new slot in a head as a last resort, then replace those nuisance screws with regular headed ones.

A torx head can fit in some triangular ones. The end of old screwdrivers an be modified to fit the screws, or else a screw itself might be modified and its original regular screwhead can be used.

rubadub wrote: »
    Also some can do with tightening first before loosening, sounds counter intuitive but often works, twist one way and the other can break up surface corrosion that fuses them. A dremel type drill with a suitable disc can also be used to put a new slot in a head as a last resort, then replace those nuisance screws with regular headed ones.

A torx head can fit in some triangular ones. The end of old screwdrivers an be modified to fit the screws, or else a screw itself might be modified and its original regular screwhead can be used.

Thanks for the tips! I have a few tricks that I'm going to try tomorrow to try to get it out. Rubberband trick is top of the list.

Thing is... the driver grips the screw perfectly fine if I try to tighten it... but not to loosen it. Tried that already... definitely no-go sadly.

Gonna head to the DIY store during tomorrow's lunchbreak to see if I can get one of those drillbits designed to remove stripped screws. Will try all of the soft solutions first before I go nuclear though.

Something HAS to work.... because if it doesn't? I'm in the **** with my neighbours and in general, lol.

dav09 wrote: »
    Glad to hear all arrived safe and sound, hope you enjoy! :D

I will, just a soon as I get it into the flat!

Thanks so much for everything mate you're a star.

Also... I guess this was on the floor in LevelUp for a while eh?

Found about 30 or so tokens floating around the base of the unit. :-P

Not gonna lie... was kinda expecting the coin mech to be intact but as I didn't ask the question then it's fair enough.

I will, just a soon as I get it into the flat!

Thanks so much for everything mate you're a star.

Also... I guess this was on the floor in LevelUp for a while eh?

Found about 30 or so tokens floating around the base of the unit. :-P

Not gonna lie... was kinda expecting the coin mech to be intact but as I didn't ask the question then it's fair enough.

No problem glad you're almost sorted, hopefully you get fully sorted and up and running with it tomorrow!

Yeah it was out on the floor for a small bit, couple of weeks maybe. They didn't seem to be peoples thing, they much preferred the LCD Namco Noirs and Vewlix's down here for some reason, I prefer the Blasts personally. If you're down to spend the tokens let me know, I think a Yen mech came with it probably still have it somewhere for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Good to know there’s somewhere to source cabinets. My Aero City wants a friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Thanks for the tips! I have a few tricks that I'm going to try tomorrow to try to get it out. Rubberband trick is top of the list.

Thing is... the driver grips the screw perfectly fine if I try to tighten it... but not to loosen it. Tried that already... definitely no-go sadly.

Gonna head to the DIY store during tomorrow's lunchbreak to see if I can get one of those drillbits designed to remove stripped screws. Will try all of the soft solutions first before I go nuclear though.

Something HAS to work.... because if it doesn't? I'm in the **** with my neighbours and in general, lol.

I used to use screw remover drill bits a good bit, one side drills a hole in the top of the screw and then the spiral side removes it. I've seen them in lidl before but most hardware's should have them

dav09 wrote: »
    Have any of you ever went about repro'ing a grail cab? If so any advice?

going back a while now but I did a donkey knog
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121608

And a mini pacmam "repro"
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057965538

I made the pacman for my parents.
    I was over there a few months ago and it was on in the kitchen .
    I asked my ma was she playing it today and she said no "we just leave it on all the time" :confused:

I will say,spend the money on handles,brackets,vents etc
    no matter how small the parts are they collectively add to the feel of the build.

I'm going to do a tribute to an atari space duel next,

That blast needs a good scrub before you put it back together !
    Congratulations

going back a while now but I did a donkey knog
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121608

And a mini pacmam "repro"
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057965538

I made the pacman for my parents.
    I was over there a few months ago and it was on in the kitchen .
    I asked my ma was she playing it today and she said no "we just leave it on all the time" :confused:

I will say,spend the money on handles,brackets,vents etc
    no matter how small the parts are they collectively add to the feel of the build.

I'm going to do a tribute to an atari space duel next,

That blast needs a good scrub before you put it back together !
    Congratulations
    Class, that DK really looks the part. Yeah I have a nice CP that I'm working on and a controller as good as the original. I know there'll be some stuff that won't be 100% but looking to get it as close as I can to an original. I have a large 3d printer (Anycubic Chiron, bought it a year ago and is about the biggest in the consumer market for the low price budget I had) so that'll help with vents and other parts. I'll have a read of that build log before putting it together for sure.

So after ringing around multiple DIY shops I managed to find one that had a screw stripping kit and... it didn't ****ing work! Lol.

The screw is *definitely* stripped now though!

So... plan be... force it through the awkward as **** doorframe. It caused minimal (but repairable) damage... it took three ****ing hours of wangling but we managed it!

IMG_20210319_235753_123.jpg

I kid you not.... We ended up getting it through with a final push from... my foot. I was lying on the floor taking a break swigging a beer when I thought... "we literally need 1cm extra but it's wedged up against the bloody door that we can't remove (we tried)"... then I thought... hold on... mate... start pulling the marquee area towards you and I'll... do a thing...

So he did and... I kicked her. Not a hard kick... more of a push with my foot really but with the added pressure and with me wagging the door about... SUCCESS! After three ****ing hours... We erupted in laughter and success with Covid safe high fives (elbows) and loud hollering... It was... almost... better than sex. Almost.

Anyway... with the added help of my enthusiastic Polish neighbour (great guy, knew this was my dream and was SUPER helpful)

IMG_20210319_235813_311.jpg

IMG_20210319_235848_597.jpg

So yeah... success!

Definitely recommend buying off of Dav, he's a super awesome guy, very helpful. Answered all of my stupid noob questions and was incredibly patient. Definitely recommend him for any machines you lads and lassies may want in future.

So after ten years... I finally got one! I do wonder if it's the same Blast City that I almost bought off someone here nearly 10 years ago. Can't even remember who that was at this stage...

Now... to put her all back together again... and to find the damn door key that I've already lost because I'm a ****ing idiot...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Fair play! Nothing worse than something not fitting by a miniscule amount and it doesn't seem like there's anything you can do. I'd say there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears involved!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Fair play! Nothing worse than something not fitting by a miniscule amount and it doesn't seem like there's anything you can do. I'd say there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears involved!

Blood, sweat, tears, alcohol, profuse swearing...

... But yeah we got it up!

Now comes the task of putting her back together... and figuring out where she's going to live in the apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You can never move now.

I do wonder if it's the same Blast City that I almost bought off someone here nearly 10 years ago. Can't even remember who that was at this stage...

That was me !!
    I sold it to fixitfelix.
    I'll get another someday I think.

That was me !!
    I sold it to fixitfelix.
    I'll get another someday I think.

I wonder if fixitfelix ever sold it on...

You can never move now.

Don't even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

Don't even...

Take the time you have now to drill out that stripped screw, and replace it with something that can be removed. You won't wanna go through that again if you have to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

PLAYSTATION UNLOCKED WITH NEW SOFTWARE HACK

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/15/playstation-unlocked-with-new-software-hack/

Sorry for the all caps, it was a copy and paste job!

Inviere wrote: »
    Take the time you have now to drill out that stripped screw, and replace it with something that can be removed. You won't wanna go through that again if you have to move!

SSSSHHHHHHH!

Doge wrote: »
    PLAYSTATION UNLOCKED WITH NEW SOFTWARE HACK

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/15/playstation-unlocked-with-new-software-hack/

Sorry for the all caps, it was a copy and paste job!

I don't understand why this is beneficial?: There are so many less convoluted ways to load games into a PS1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Don't even...

There are movers who are experts at this stuff. Had to move a really heavy standup piano out of an old house through a really awkward corridor. The mover just scooped the entire thing onto a little trolley on its end and waltzed it out of the house. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I don't understand why this is beneficial?: There are so many, ltd controversial ways to load games into a OS1?;
    This is more of a 'look, there are software exploits are still to be discovered on older consoles' - no real interest to the average Jo but hackers more so

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    This is more of a 'look, there are software exploits are still to be discovered on older consoles' - no real interest to the average Jo but hackers more so

Fair enough! So it's the thrill of the chase and success as opposed to it being practical?

Gotcha.

Commodore 64 owners:

547687.jpg

Although sometimes it was port 1 as there was no standard! :pac:

Doge wrote: »

I thought there would have been more hype / discussion on here about this.
    Although only posting a link by itself often gets over looked!
    So here:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are getting a new retro beat-’em-up, Shredder’s Revenge is being made by devs behind Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

https://www.polygon.com/22321843/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shredders-revenge-tmnt-konami-arcade-game-sequel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Can't wait for that! I love the art style

Advertisement