Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

l
    Tickets for limp bizkit this August in Madrid, can't see myself there

Be grateful for small mercies, Jack :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had The Pixies and The Specials for last year, postponed until this year...
    I await their cancellation...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This goes out to a certain SteveX2
    G Darius HD is out on Switch, on the Japanese eshop at least, 4000yen or 30 euro.
    Or, if you can wait a little while, it's combined with DariusBurst Another Chronicle EX+ in the Darius Cozmic Revelation for 59.99 euro as a physical release from Strictlylimited.
    https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/products/darius-cozmic-revelations-nsw-preorder

5oF6RX8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Had that rammstein gig booked myself

Have tickets for pertibator and author and punisher this November so fingers crossed for that.

Didn't know Pertubator were playing! Will be nabbing some tickets for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had that rammstein gig booked myself

Have tickets for pertibator and author and punisher this November so fingers crossed for that.

Perturbator is the only gig I'm interested in this year and November is far enough away that I'm hoping everything calms down by then. Also want to see Health so fingers crossed indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Never listened to health until I got tickets but have been and looking forward to seeing them now too.

Definitely going to book the next day off work and stay up for a few pints in the big smoke that night. Hopefully get to token and bust out some pinball high scores and then score a sweet 80s spec babe. I don't ask for much in life

Master of the Universe

Never listened to health until I got tickets but have been and looking forward to seeing them now too.

Definitely going to book the next day off work and stay up for a few pints in the big smoke that night. Hopefully get to token and bust out some pinball high scores and then score a sweet 80s spec babe. I don't ask for much in life

Must organise a bit of a meet up for folks that night in Dublin if you're going to be up. Would love to hit Token for a few beers and then go to the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I missed out on Orbital and the Chemical Brothers last year.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    I missed out on Orbital and the Chemical Brothers last year.

Yeah I remember a few mates trying to convince me to get tickets for the Chemical Brothers in Cork last year but it was clear at that stage it wouldn't be going ahead.

Didn't know Orbital were playing, mad the gigs you just never hear about and then miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Inviere

I see the PS1 fpga core is now far enough along to boot games

It's slow because they're running it at a lower clock than the actual PS1 for now (it's still in active development). From the YouTube comments, the author states
    I won't debate the whole EE vs emulator debate here. But in this particular project I never claimed cycle accuracy since I opened publicly my project. Those chips are too big for that.

BUT I think that once it is finished, we should be superior in fidelity to many (all?) emulators around at least in the accuracy department.

Now, as we do not have the original document/specification from the original but only reverse engineering document, there is no way to be identical given the gigantic size of those chipset... We will just try to do our best.
    The other limiting factor down the road, may be the memory (DDR vs original SGRAM chip).

It's refreshing to see discussion that acknowledges that FPGA solutions are not inherently perfect. To create a truly accurate FPGA core, you need to understand perfectly how the original hardware works. Without that knowledge, you're relying on reverse engineering and assumptions. There are people out there who would have you believe FPGA cores are always 1:1, when they're not. They can be, but it's not a given.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It also stops me moaning about emulation :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It also stops me moaning about emulation :D

I don't think you'll ever do that, not until someone releases an all in one that is LLE based, is cycle accurate with everything from atari to ps5, runs everything and anything, and cleans your apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I remember a few mates trying to convince me to get tickets for the Chemical Brothers in Cork last year but it was clear at that stage it wouldn't be going ahead.

Didn't know Orbital were playing, mad the gigs you just never hear about and then miss!

Yeah Orbital were meant to play the Marquee also..
    If they're on next year you'll have to come down and I'll do my best to sort you out with an after party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Started a Youtube channel last week cos I'm bored. Bit niche in that it's entirely about Total Annihilation but that's retro ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Saw TheGayGamer sharing this post

Are you desperate for Onion Games to bring CHULIP and RULE OF ROSE to new consoles?
    Seriously need a physical version of DANDY DUNGEON and #moon_rpg?
    LET US KNOW!
    Right pointing backhand index
    https://oniongames.jp/survey

https://twitter.com/oniongames/status/1366223641655017473?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Has anyone been selling or trying to sell parts of their collection during all this?

Planning to sell a considerable amount soon but the roadblocks of UK customs if selling on eBay and just general point of people not having the money these days etc puts me off a little doing it for the moment. But maybe people have noticed the opposite, that because people are home it is easier to sell etc?

Just interested to know impressions really.

Master of the Universe

Corholio wrote: »
    Has anyone been selling or trying to sell parts of their collection during all this?

Planning to sell a considerable amount soon but the roadblocks of UK customs if selling on eBay and just general point of people not having the money these days etc puts me off a little doing it for the moment. But maybe people have noticed the opposite, that because people are home it is easier to sell etc?

Just interested to know impressions really.

Prices have gone up considerably on most collectables as people have a lot more money to spend on 'things' due to not going out.

I think all the isolation is making people a bit nostalgic which too also helps with prices when selling.

It's actually a great time to sell at the moment.

Just saw a boxed yellow dreamcast go for £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's an ebb and flow to these things based on demographics. You can probably guestimate from looking at sales of other collectables when the retro game prices will peak. I mean things like the Dreamcast aren't actually very rare they sold millions of the yokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retronauts had a collecting podcast recently and Chris Kohler was talking about how in the 90's the 2600 was the biggest retro gaming scene and now that's collapsed as the people that grew up with that system are now out of the collector's scene. I don't see the same thing happening with NES and up due to the Nintendo and Sony factor but the market will peak everytime the generation that grew up with the system starts to enter the workforce and dies down.

As Chris said, chasing the Chuck Wagon was what people used to call chasing after an ultra expensive and rare game. You can get that game for peanuts now.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Definitely a good idea to check up on you collectables at the moment..even to see if there's anything you wouldn't even consider valuable from the 80s/90s as it's all really mainstream and 'in'.

Think I mentioned a while back, but i recently sold two Akira t-shirts I'd been sleeping in for almost 1,500 quid.

I'm a massive fan and I always thought they were cool shirts, but never in a million years thought anyone else would give that much of a feck about them. I've noticed a lot of 80s and 90s band tees following a similar trend on eBay. I'm sure shoes and all manner of clothes from that era are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People definitely have money to burn. Obviously the pandemic has been tough on a lot of people but the vast majority are still working away but can't go out for gigs, meals, holidays etc. I was planning to go to Tokyo last April/May. Whatever people aren't spending on holidays also can't be spent going out in general, plus a lot of people are saving a fortune working from home.

If you have a couple of bits and pieces you don't want I'd say stick them up for sale alright. Any retro stuff I've looked at has been mad money. It's kind of putting me off window shopping for the moment but lots of people happy to spend out to get the nostalgia while stuck at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

Anywhere ye'd recommend to pick up old strategy guides? I've seen a few on ebay but quite often the condition is poor or the picture is just a screenshot of the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Have many sold stuff to the UK? And how have ye dealt with the added customs charges with the buyer?

Will definitely want to sell stuff in Ireland ideally but I know not all will be sold that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Have many sold stuff to the UK? And how have ye dealt with the added customs charges with the buyer?

Will definitely want to sell stuff in Ireland ideally but I know not all will be sold that way.

I sent some stuff from my site(not retro related) earlier in February via An Post. It did get there with no extra charges, but it took 4 weeks!

I've a bunch of retro bits to move on since I cleaned out my storage lockers and am hoping to not have to sell it outside Ireland as it just seems like a mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I sold clothes, marked down was worried they'd get stung. I made a post on FB copy I'll copy it here

(Just to gauge time, my parcel to Essex arrived Saturday, was posted Tuesday.
    It was marked as €11 with standard postage and buyer wasn't charged fees

My other parcel to Dundee arrived today, posted on Tuesday with standard postage as well, took 6 days, marked €5.50 and wasn't charged anything.)

The form takes a good while to fill out if you can do it online or give yourself the time to do it, took nearly 10 mins to do the 2 and afaik they count shipping price as well as item price (which is partly why I marked it down too)

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I sent some stuff from my site(not retro related) earlier in February via An Post. It did get there with no extra charges, but it took 4 weeks!

I've a bunch of retro bits to move on since I cleaned out my storage lockers and am hoping to not have to sell it outside Ireland as it just seems like a mess at the moment.

Vulture.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck, if I'd known that I wouldn't have just blown €400 on a drone!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Feck, if I'd known that I wouldn't have just blown €400 on a drone!

That's not gonna qualify for sale in the Marketplace.....

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    That's not gonna qualify for sale in the Marketplace.....

I see what you did there....

Advertisement