Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone here have experience with a Nintendo Super System before? It was an arcade cabinet allowing you to play 1 of 3 games.

https://rentmyarcade.net/sites/default/files/styles/panopoly_image_original/public/nss_front.jpg?itok=PIqwtRGY.

Have been able to get my hands on two PCB's (Super Soccer and Super Mario World) from it and two of the game marquee cards below the screen. Just curious on it as I'm not really an arcade board, pcb guy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Corholio wrote: »
    Anyone here have experience with a Nintendo Super System before? It was an arcade cabinet allowing you to play 1 of 3 games.

https://rentmyarcade.net/sites/default/files/styles/panopoly_image_original/public/nss_front.jpg?itok=PIqwtRGY.

Have been able to get my hands on two PCB's (Super Soccer and Super Mario World) from it and two of the game marquee cards below the screen. Just curious on it as I'm not really an arcade board, pcb guy etc.

Quite unusual to see here. It was the last arcade cabinet made solely by Nintendo (I think).

Similar concept to other Nintendo systems like the Vs cabinets. Nintendo brought out the playchoice 10, Sega brought out the megatech, Nintendo brought out the super system, Sega brought out the megaplay system. Tits for tat.

Super system had a handful of games, like 10 or 12, and like you say the motherboard could hold 3 separate game pcbs.

Nice find! Do you have the motherboards+game pcbs, or just the game pcbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gradius wrote: »
    Quite unusual to see here. It was the last arcade cabinet made solely by Nintendo (I think).

Similar concept to other Nintendo systems like the Vs cabinets. Nintendo brought out the playchoice 10, Sega brought out the megatech, Nintendo brought out the super system, Sega brought out the megaplay system. Tits for tat.

Super system had a handful of games, like 10 or 12, and like you say the motherboard could hold 3 separate game pcbs.

Nice find! Do you have the motherboards+game pcbs, or just the game pcbs?

I just have the PCB's. I was watching a video with the motherboard + pcb's alright, from someone who had the whole thing etc. Thanks for the info, I knew there was another Nintendo one (playchoice) that I couldn't think of. Got them in a bundle of other stuff but they stood out when I was looking at it all more deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anybody here know of a place that does custom arcade tokens?

Found about 50 Level Up arcade tokens (so far) inside the blast.

Was thinking of getting my own made up just for fun. Between 50 - 100 but it'd depend on pricing.

Good isn't helping, hence me asking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see Sega Shop EU ships from...the UK. Feck it. Wanted to get the Dreamcast Works book and the Saturn and Mega Drive cushions, don't think it's worth €100 for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    Anybody here know of a place that does custom arcade tokens?

Found about 50 Level Up arcade tokens (so far) inside the blast.

Was thinking of getting my own made up just for fun. Between 50 - 100 but it'd depend on pricing.

Good isn't helping, hence me asking here.

That's actually a pretty cool idea, how about Alibaba?

Minimum order of 500 but they seem really cheap per unit

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62428032456/Wholesale-customized-laundry-amusement-custom-arcade.html?spm=a2706.amp_ws_detail.contact#click:btn-buy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've been putting off making my own tokens for ages. I think with the right design it could work well on a resin 3D printer in a tough material.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

Our supplier only does high quantity to make it worth while for them so you probably only want a small few. Probably best to get one of us here with 3D printers to do some up, and then use a metallic spray. The token you have are actually plastic even if they don't seem it (try with a magnet), so if done right they'd come out good. I'll get you the mech sent on so making one the size of 50 or 100 yen is an idea and take out the weight from the mech

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've wanted to make Lazer Steak coins or tokens for a while now.

My enamel pin and patch manufacturers do them. Minimum quantity for decent ones with a nice finished is about 300 though

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see Sega Shop EU ships from...the UK. Feck it. Wanted to get the Dreamcast Works book and the Saturn and Mega Drive cushions, don't think it's worth €100 for them!

I'd think twice about that. I had no end of hassle with Sega Shop EU after 2021 turned over.

Seems that, like a lot of organisations based in the UK, it seems easier for them to either just go VAT free for the rest of the EU or charge UK VAT.

I'm not sure *why*, but a lot of companies seem unwilling to actually do the proper damned customs work to make this easier for *their customers*.

It's such a ridiculous situation.

• Advertisement

dav09 wrote: »
    Our supplier only does high quantity to make it worth while for them so you probably only want a small few. Probably best to get one of us here with 3D printers to do some up, and then use a metallic spray. The token you have are actually plastic even if they don't seem it (try with a magnet), so if done right they'd come out good. I'll get you the mech sent on so making one the size of 50 or 100 yen is an idea and take out the weight from the mech

Ohh are you sure? Thanks mate.

I already have replacement cam locks so you don't need to worry about those. I also want to figure out the control panel's locking mechanism.

Might seem silly but... I want to feel like I'm really managing my own arcade, lol. Was my dream job when I was a kid.

The damn things died out as I grew up though.

Yeah if you can give me some word as to when you're sending on the mech that'd be great! I have my eye on one on eBay for €20ish so let me know!

MrVestek wrote: »
    Ohh are you sure? Thanks mate.

I already have replacement cam locks so you don't need to worry about those. I also want to figure out the control panel's locking mechanism.

Might seem silly but... I want to feel like I'm really managing my own arcade, lol. Was my dream job when I was a kid.

The damn things died out as I grew up though.

Yeah if you can give me some word as to when you're sending on the mech that'd be great! I have my eye on one on eBay for €20ish so let me know!

Great, the mechanism should work with typical arcade locks so those cam locks should be good. Since it's just a spring bar, the lock should open and close it with the latch when you put it on, I have another blast so can picture that if you dont get sorted. Same with Naomi's and cabs around that era.

Yeah I've barely been out of the house lately with everything and working from home lately but one of these days I'll rock up the courage to go down to the lockup and have a look, will get it sorted soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone heard the uncompressed Super Mario World soundtrack?

It's very interesting.

The recent nintendo hack uncovered the original smw uncompressed samples and someone rebuilt the sequencer files with the uncompressed samples:

Truly a treat to listen to. I think it was Relikk here who was heavily involved in some of the MSU1 stuff....I wonder if there's a patch to play these (now definitive) tracks to the game itself? I wonder if the reverb is original to the track? Seems slightly ott, but still nice.

I will do a full thread shortly once the main parts for the Star Wars Cockpit scratch build come in shortly, was able to repro the bezel with Wood and 3D print some of it, pretty happy with it so far. CRT and some of the wiring sorted too. Waiting for the rest of the parts and artwork to arrive over the next week or two.

Ex-PWXp-SXIAAULr0.jpg
    Exfy-ZTMXAAUWsw-I.jpg
    Exgij-Q-XMAAM9d-L.jpg

Inviere wrote: »
    Truly a treat to listen to. I think it was Relikk here who was heavily involved in some of the MSU1 stuff....I wonder if there's a patch to play these (now definitive) tracks to the game itself? I wonder if the reverb is original to the track? Seems slightly ott, but still nice.

Found him - https://www.zeldix.net/t2227-super-mario-world-restored

Great work Relikk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

A shame that it seems to have slowed down quite a bit since the initial run of track releases, but I'm slightly glad that maybe they're taking their time with them as I think a few of them were a little odd, or off sounding. As you said, a bit too liberal with the reverb and most of the ADSR settings could do with some tweaking. A good reference of how to stay faithful to the originals while improving the quality would be Sam Miller's Donkey Kong Country restorations.

dav09 wrote: »
    Great, the mechanism should work with typical arcade locks so those cam locks should be good. Since it's just a spring bar, the lock should open and close it with the latch when you put it on, I have another blast so can picture that if you dont get sorted. Same with Naomi's and cabs around that era.

Yeah I've barely been out of the house lately with everything and working from home lately but one of these days I'll rock up the courage to go down to the lockup and have a look, will get it sorted soon!

I have my eye on one in France for €27.50 so if you're not gonna be down the lockup soon that's totally fine I'll just grab the one from there and figure out how to tool it for level up tokens for now considering that I have about 50 of them now. 🀣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I booked some time off work so decided to tackle the spare room and start turning it into a games room/guest bedroom. I took my stuff out of storage today which was a lot of fun as it’s been packed away for over 5 years at this stage so it was almost like finding everything again! Once I started unpacking I underestimated how many shelves I’d need so there more on the way but happy with the progress so far!

4-FD7-D768-2152-4880-8485-5-A8-F70-DDD2-C1.jpg

5-FA9-D5-CA-3-C3-F-41-AC-953-F-2-B938-B208-CAD.jpg

Relikk wrote: »
    A shame that it seems to have slowed down quite a bit since the initial run of track releases, but I'm slightly glad that maybe they're taking their time with them as I think a few of them were a little odd, or off sounding. As you said, a bit too liberal with the reverb and most of the ADSR settings could do with some tweaking. A good reference of how to stay faithful to the originals while improving the quality would be Sam Miller's Donkey Kong Country restorations.

That sounds gorgeous. I'm quite out of the loop by now when it comes to MSU1, must have a look around & see what's new.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anything on PlayStation 3, Vita, and PSP digital stores that is worth getting before they close up, saw they're going down in summer

• Advertisement

Just got delivered. Got a tip off last week that DID Finglas were getting some stock, chanced my arm and called DID Stillorgan (within my 5k) and was able to put my name down for one. They called to take payment on Tuesday over the phone but it didn't go through! Hopped straight in a taxi to pay in store... and she got delivered this morning!

Ext7c1wXMAALxjx?format=jpg&name=large

Between this and the Blast City... it's been a good few weeks I'm tellin' ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'm quite out of the loop by now when it comes to MSU1, must have a look around & see what's new.

There are 160+ MSU1 patches (at least) listed on Zeldix now, but there haven't been many released in the past year or so. Most of the main patch developers have "retired" and are mostly maintaining those existing patches or contributing to other platforms (Game Boy, Mega Drive and its MSU1 equivalent "MD+" format).

Super Turrican 2 is up next, though.

Question for Candy Cab owners:

I'll be setting my Blast up with a Raspberry Pi solution as a stop-gap to get some games up and running on her, but ultimately I'll want a Hyperspin config in there using parts from my old PC.

Would love to get Street Fighter IV (The Taito Type X version) and Tekken Tag (original arcade version) up and running on her.

Question is... I don't think I can tap in to the wiring looms in the machine itself to provide the PC's motherboard with power... but... I noticed that the PSU has an output on the back rated for 10a. Not sure what it would have originally been used for...

Would it be possible to get a PC PSU, set it to 100v and power it from the cab's power output on the back?

Also, as an aside, anybody know what said outputs would have been used for in the Japanese arcade world?

You'd get a legit tekken tag board for about €100. I got one a while ago. It's in one of my cyberleads. Going to leave that in there dedicated.

Personally I wouldn't know much about taking power from the arcade psu. If you're going to have a stepdown though just put a 2 plug extension lead in the cab and have a ps psu and the stepdown off it. Everything in the cab is internal then and not too much pressure on the arcade psu

I'm sure you can power a psu though

Master of the Universe

Yeah I wouldn't be tapping additional power from (what's probably) an older arcade PSU. You'd probably have to go down the route of putting a new PSU in it if you wanted to do that.

If it were me I'd get a separate PSU for the PC and a separate plug for it too.

If you can figure out a way of running the PC PSU power cable out the back of a cabinet, just put both plugs on a smart plug.

Then it'll just be a matter of switching the whole thing on with one button press on your phone.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't be tapping additional power from (what's probably) an older arcade PSU. You'd probably have to go down the route of putting a new PSU in it if you wanted to do that.

If it were me I'd get a separate PSU for the PC and a separate plug for it too.

If you can figure out a way of running the PC PSU power cable out the back of a cabinet, just put both plugs on a smart plug.

Then it'll just be a matter of switching the whole thing on with one button press on your phone.

Gah. I kinda wanted to have everything connected on the same looms internally but you're probably right, don't want to be stressing out a PSU that I'm sure is getting on in age.

The only reason I mentioned changing the PC's PSU to 100/110v is due to the fact that that's the voltage that the PSU is outputting as it's the Japanese version of the PSU. The AC in is already being stepped down to 100v from 220/240v by the lovely Airlink Transformer that was sorted with the sale of the machine.

More work to do on her today.

Got her up and running yesterday actually with a Pandora 5S Jamma box that was graciously prodived by dav09 with the sale of the machine...

However the monitor synced for like, 10 seconds at 31khz and then went all screwy.

Apparently this particular knock off Pandora's box doesn't like syncing with the NANAO MS2930 that's in the blast.

That's fine though as I have a GPIO Jamma header for a Raspbery Pi on the way. I won't have to do any config with that either as I had already configured it for GPIO to Scart and it's coming from the same people... so the same device will work.

I *could* pick up a legit Tekken Tag and then use a multi-Jamma selector... which is fine but... I kinda want to have my cake and eat it too. Emulation seems the best route for that.

My dream setup would be Sega Naomi /2 with Netdimm fed by a Pi, Tekken Tag and maybe Street Fighter 2?

You'd get a legit tekken tag board for about €100. I got one a while ago. It's in one of my cyberleads. Going to leave that in there dedicated.

Personally I wouldn't know much about taking power from the arcade psu. If you're going to have a stepdown though just put a 2 plug extension lead in the cab and have a ps psu and the stepdown off it. Everything in the cab is internal then and not too much pressure on the arcade psu

I'm sure you can power a psu though

By the way, if you can point me towards a legit Tekken Tag PCB for around €100 I'm all ears... Can't seem to find it for less than €200 myself.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

I got mine off a facebook collectors group a while ago, think I paid €100+ tracked shipping from spain €20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I booked some time off work so decided to tackle the spare room and start turning it into a games room/guest bedroom. I took my stuff out of storage today which was a lot of fun as it’s been packed away for over 5 years at this stage so it was almost like finding everything again! Once I started unpacking I underestimated how many shelves I’d need so there more on the way but happy with the progress so far!

4-FD7-D768-2152-4880-8485-5-A8-F70-DDD2-C1.jpg

5-FA9-D5-CA-3-C3-F-41-AC-953-F-2-B938-B208-CAD.jpg
    Mind asking me where you got the shelf? In dire need of a couple of those, right now.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I think it's actually seven thin IKEA columns of shelves lined up?

Looks really well.

Advertisement