Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's really interesting, I've never heard of JIZZ (!) screws till now too.

Definitely have a few thinner looking screwdriver heads in my security screw bit set, must have a look and see if I've been incorrectly using them as phillips!
    Turns out I've had some JIS 4mm screwdriver bits without knowing it in my iFixit Manta bit set. Good to know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah.

Only reason I'm so worried about this is that... if I can't take the machine apart to get it in the door then I am royally ****ed. I'm hardly going to be able to leave it outside whilst I sort out a solution, lol. I don't have any storage space to transfer it into either.

So... it's ride or die time when it gets delivered tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah.

Only reason I'm so worried about this is that... if I can't take the machine apart to get it in the door then I am royally ****ed. I'm hardly going to be able to leave it outside whilst I sort out a solution, lol. I don't have any storage space to transfer it into either.

You've probably already thought of it, but make sure you have a tarp or something to throw over it just in case it does rain(or you don't want the neighbours know what it is).
    When my Egret 3 candy arrived the guys dropped it at the door and headed off. I didn't need to take it apart, but did have to lift it up and inside on my own fairly quickly as there was some rain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

Steve X2 wrote: »
    You've probably already thought of it, but make sure you have a tarp or something to throw over it just in case it does rain(or you don't want the neighbours know what it is).
    When my Egret 3 candy arrived the guys dropped it at the door and headed off. I didn't need to take it apart, but did have to lift it up and inside on my own fairly quickly as there was some rain about.

I'm on my way down to the lockup to find an emergency screwdriver now :pac: I'm sure I'll sort something anyway. And yeah definitely a good idea whats mentioned here, the couriers booked are fairly cheap considering so usually once it's off the trucks they're gone! But they're usually quite good still in contrast to some others I've dealt with. I've heard of many a disaster story with couriers and arcade machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah.

would you not just be able to remove the control panel, turn it sideways and roll it on in?

Doesn't look wider than a doorframe without the control panel on.

Right.jpg

• Advertisement

Well unless my measuring tape is off... the front door is just shy by about 2cms. I will try to get it through without CP first though before going nuclear and taking the back panel off / CRT out.

Tarp? No. I do not have one of those. :-/

This will either be the best... or the worst impulse purchase I've ever made lol.

I'll keep you all posted so that you can revel in my victor with me... or laugh at my stupidity. Either way I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

Actually. I've just realised that it's 76cm with the control panel attached... on the side. Anybody have the measurments of the side of the unit without control panel?

Feck, I might be able to get it in the front door after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Yeah.

Took me 3 evenings to fully disassemble a massive 2 player ridge racer wooden cab in the front garden and bring it inside to the game room piece by piece. Then another couple of nights to reassemble. Take lots of photos and videos of where all the pieces go if dissembling.

Tarp is perfect and a bit of rope to hold it down if you can't do it in one day.

I don't have a blast city cab but if it's anything like a naomi it's all plastic and metal and not a problem even if it gets wet. Some people wash their monitors and PCB's with household degreaser spray and a hose. As long as everything is dry when you plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'll keep you all posted so that you can revel in my victor with me... or laugh at my stupidity. Either way I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

It'd make a good Sir Vestek video, no matter what happens!

I've never been great at maths and I think that's showing here.

Hopefully I can get it through the front door just fine by turning it sideways and taking off the control panel as Oisin has suggested.

I've no tarp and wouldn't be able to get some anyway. I absolutely can not leave this outside as this is a busy housing estate. Somebody would definitely take it.

I'll likely be posting videos to my Instagram about it though if anyone follows that.

Weather forecast is looking good for Thursday anyway.

• Advertisement

Worth a look if you've got an hour to spare. It's up to their usual level of quality and the hour flew by(I could have watched more).

ANALOG FRONTIERS - Part 3: Preservation and Replication / MY LIFE IN GAMING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've never been great at maths and I think that's showing here.

Hopefully I can get it through the front door just fine by turning it sideways and taking off the control panel as Oisin has suggested.

I've no tarp and wouldn't be able to get some anyway. I absolutely can not leave this outside as this is a busy housing estate. Somebody would definitely take it.

I'll likely be posting videos to my Instagram about it though if anyone follows that.

Weather forecast is looking good for Thursday anyway.

If your door is greater than 760mm, I’ll go in sideways. Although only if the door opens super wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Could be worse

f1ab8d6dac3da63aa324fadd39a7ee9d.jpg

Yeah thanks lads... helpful lol.

Just saw this on Instagram.

Safe to say I'm excited now. TERRIFIED... and excited.

547271.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

St Patrick's Day, 'Blast City'.... There's a Provo joke in there somewhere :pac:

Godspeed with the delivery!

Thankfully as today is a bank holiday it'll get here tomorrow. ;-)

Have any of you ever went about repro'ing a grail cab? If so any advice?

I've always wanted a Star Wars Cockpit, but can't afford the price of them now. No matter what way you look at it it'll be 6-8k now with import fees from whichever route you go for an original, mad stuff really.

I'm currently getting one CNC'd, along with working on 3D printing and designing some of the parts that cant be CNC'd. I've started off with repro'ing the monitor bezel while waiting for parts, most of it will be made out of wood instead of plastic but the designs on it will be 3D printed. I've already started work on the complicated parts of it below. It seems the monitor bezels are very hard to find these days so this seems to be my only option.

Since it's for home use, I'm also just going to emulate it and get a Raster CRT instead of a Vector CRT. As much as I like everything original, spending a grand + between a PCB and WG6100 and original Yoke is not something I fancy, along with the maintenance of the vector monitor. Also bought the new GRS Star Wars Flight Yoke for it which has great reviews. Should hopefully have it all together sometime in April when everything starts to arrive, early days yet.

IMG-20210317-003759.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ This needs its own thread!

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ This needs its own thread!

Probably so! Will do one then once parts start to come in or when I have the monitor shroud together at least, have pretty much everything planned and ordered since 2 weeks ago. Excited to start working on it, it's a waiting game at the minute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

100% setup a thread for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody know this? was in the retro forum
    Does anyone remember an Irish version of Gamesmaster and Bad Influence?
    I think Joe Rooney was one of the hosts, it was funny because he seemed to know sweet FA about video games.
    No a bit earlier. 90s I think. It was basically children playing video games against each other like on Gamesmaster. Quite short-lived iirc.
    The more I think of it , it might have been Joe Rooney or else someone who looked quite like him- dark sticky up hair.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Paul Tylak, his comedy partner had sticky up hair.

dside-joe-rooney-paul-tylak-258x350.jpg

There is a retro computer game forum, they would know there. I cannot recall it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember it. It was around in the 16 bit era for one season on RTE. Guy and a girl presenting it. It was a load of old arse but I'd inhale anything videogame related so watched it. I remember the challenges were particularly badly thought out and always a **** show. For some reason the Taz game on the SNES stick out in my mind as one of the worst challenges. Also I remember reviews were all done by kids. One kid I remember was saying how he knew more about games than anyone because he beat SF2 super turbo on the highest difficulty with all characters. Also a review of Biometal as well sticks out as the reviewer was saying the music by 2Unlimited in it was amazing.

Was called Gamezone or something. Defenitely Game at the start and had a 90's edgy name like Gamezone. Nothing says the 90's like a x or a z.

Here you go:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056916290

Megazone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember it. It was around in the 16 bit era for one season on RTE. Guy and a girl presenting it. It was a load of old arse but I'd inhale anything videogame related so watched it. I remember the challenges were particularly badly thought out and always a **** show. For some reason the Taz game on the SNES stick out in my mind as one of the worst challenges. Also I remember reviews were all done by kids. One kid I remember was saying how he knew more about games than anyone because he beat SF2 super turbo on the highest difficulty with all characters. Also a review of Biometal as well sticks out as the reviewer was saying the music by 2Unlimited in it was amazing.

Was called Gamezone or something. Defenitely Game at the start and had a 90's edgy name like Gamezone. Nothing says the 90's like a x or a z.

Here you go:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056916290

Megazone!
    RTE had a show on quite recently and they were billing it as their first ever video game based show.
    Eh...what about that crap show in the 90s I was saying to myself?
    Maybe they have erased it from their collective memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just seen the stuff about the blast city. Great cabs, loved my one. So here's how I moved mine, through 3 internal doors in a 200 year old house.

Try it the normal way first, if that doesn't work then take the door off the hinges, doors won't normally open up wide enough to allow full use of the opening frame. Last one is to get the socket kit out, whip off the co and slide the cab in sideways, with the cp off I got mine though a door that about 3-4 inches smaller than it should be.

Good luck with it

Have the socket wrench at the ready... think Oisin's suggestion of taking off the CP and sliding it in sideways and actually carrying it up the two flights of stairs sideways like that too is the trick. It'll need to pass through three doorways in total. I'll make sure to keep you all posted!

I'll likely post stories about it on my Insta too.

Is self promo like that allowed in here?

I've a vague memory of Megazone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

None of them can beat “The Super Mario Challenge “ watched it everyday at lunch from school. Before I even had a Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Rez Infinite will be free on PS4 with Sony's Play at Home program for anyone who doesn't have it. I was debating buying the physical re-release but it was like €45 and a weird paper eco friendly box that won't age well.

Looking forward to that in VR along with the well reviewed Astrobot Rescue Mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Ooh thanks for telling me about this. I already own Enter the Gungeon and Thumper on Steam but I'd very happily replay them on console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Really cool Super Mario World Illustration of Cork by Dynamite Studio!

547394.jpg

He has a whole portfolio of popular culture references mixed with Cork locations and culture too.

His Facebook Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/dynamitecork

His Instagram:
    https://instagram.com/dynamitestudiocork

Advertisement