Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Well he definitely wont be seeing out the remaining 6 fights - I can't see the motivation being there.

It would be interesting to see him as a free agent to see how much Bellator would offer up to wipe the UFC's eye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭robwen

Whatever chance he has against Khabib in a rematch surely he needs to keep it at 155 not go to 165 if that division is created.
    I would of thought Max at 155 is the fight to make next if it's not a rematch with Khabib

I want to see Iaquinta batter him..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When he signed that contract, he said he didn't even know about the number of fights. They are always in contracts and are overwritten by the next fight contract.
    So for his next fight he could renegotiate that down to 0 more fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Has Pettis v Wonderboy been agreed? If not I'd love to see McGregor v Pettis over any other. That would be a highlight reel fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor would ruin Pettis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

xtal191 wrote: »
    McGregor would ruin Pettis

Good striker, fast, creative, great off his back. Dunno about 'ruin' anything. Reckon it would be a fun fight actually. Competitive one I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Pettis's biggest weakness standing is McGregor's greatest strength, hands and pressure making him back up. Thinks that's an easy early KO for McGregor. Neither are going for a take down so the chances of Pettis's slick subs being a factor are slim.

Think McGregor should fight him, Al or Poirier and get a win back against a top 5/8 guy and go from there. He likely won't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Rory28 wrote: »
    Has Pettis v Wonderboy been agreed? If not I'd love to see McGregor v Pettis over any other. That would be a highlight reel fight.

Why would Petis be fighting Wonderboy, at what weight? Wonderboy would absolutely murder him. No way petis takes that fight.

McGregor beats him handily too.

Unless he changes his MO, McG has to take on Khabib again, win or learn.
    He did it against Diaz when most thought he would be choked out again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Why would Petis be fighting Wonderboy, at what weight? Wonderboy would absolutely murder him. No way petis takes that fight.

McGregor beats him handily too.

Pettis challenged Wonderboy on Twitter, he’s moving up to 170 cos the weight cuts are getting too difficult as he gets older. Wonderboy accepted the challenge but that doesn’t mean it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Pettis is far too small to hang with the more natural 170's - hes a class fighter but I think he would get mauled by most 170's
    wonderboy would kick the legs clean off him. I'd still happily watch that fight though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Unless he changes his MO, McG has to take on Khabib again, win or learn.
    He did it against Diaz when most thought he would be choked out again.
    Do you take him on again eventually, or for his next fight?

Eventually, of course. The belt holder and the lies have to be the goal.
    But immediately? Not a good idea for anyone, except maybe Khabib and his bank account.

In the mix for me would be;
    Poirier, Iaquinta, Lee, Barboza, Gaethje, Pettis

With a leaning towards Poirier or Iaquinta.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you take him on again eventually, or for his next fight?

Eventually, of course. The belt holder and the lies have to be the goal.
    But immediately? Not a good idea for anyone, except maybe Khabib and his bank account.

In the mix for me would be;
    Poirier, Iaquinta, Lee, Barboza, Gaethje, Pettis

With a leaning towards Poirier or Iaquinta.

I don't expect Khabib to get his dream St. Pierre match-up anytime soon, so I think he'll fight McGregor eventually - Khabib Vs Tony will bring numbers, but still nothing that McGregor can do. St.Pierre might be tempted if Khabib cleans out division unequivocally...

From this (limited) vantage point, there doesn't appear to be the same fire that propelled the Diaz rematch camp. Granted, there's the no small matter of a newborn etc, and who's to know, he may be training actively much more than we can see.

Also - bit left of centre - but in a game of inches I do also wonder about the inherent athletic advantage Islamic dietary laws might confer, particularly if your opposite number might be fond of a tipple etc. It's a way of life that is essentially clean living and in tandem with being an elite athlete. Just another variable, but I'm sure it all adds up...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I don't think Conor (or anyone else) at LW beats Khabib. Am I right in thinking Rd3 v Conor was the only round Khabib ever lost? Even then it was tight and not much of consequence happened. In fact, I think Khabib beats everyone at WW too, possibly with the exception of Woodley and Till.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I don't think Conor (or anyone else) at LW beats Khabib. Am I right in thinking Rd3 v Conor was the only round Khabib ever lost? Even then it was tight and not much of consequence happened. In fact, I think Khabib beats everyone at WW too, possibly with the exception of Woodley and Till.

I would say Woodley and Askren. They are essentially bigger versions of Khabib. Till looked suspect after the Woodley fight and I can see the g'n'p by Khabib already in my head. Silly scouse

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Usman, Askren? There'd be a size disparity against many WW's, and strong and skilled as he is, might impact on his performance. No doubt he'd do well against some. 165lb likely ideal for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Tony is still the big fight for him at lightweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

I would say Woodley and Askren. They are essentially bigger versions of Khabib. Till looked suspect after the Woodley fight and I can see the g'n'p by Khabib already in my head. Silly scouse

I was a Till fan, then a few videos of him batin' Joe public on the streets started circulating. Was glad Woodley sent him to the shadow realms.

Till has no buisness at 170lb though, he's massive and is easily a 185er. Woodley on the other hand is 170lb all day, doesn't have the height for 185.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

PLOPS wrote: »
    I was a Till fan, then a few videos of him batin' Joe public on the streets started circulating. Was glad Woodley sent him to the shadow realms.

Pretty much the same here, that and the not nice things he said about not wanting to see his own child.

• Advertisement

Woodley on the other hand is 170lb all day, doesn't have the height for 185.

He just announced he is going for a MW run. Sign me up for Woodley vs Romero. That would be nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He just announced he is going for a MW run. Sign me up for Woodley vs Romero. That would be nuts.
    I'd take Woodley, I reckon he'd be well able for Romero.

Remember Woodley standing beside Conor at UFC205? Conor was arguably taller and bigger at the morning weigh in. Woodley has a body from the gods, but his frame is ideal for 170lb. He's very big as it is, so if he goes to 185lb he'll just be doing less of a weight cut. Imagine Woodly facing off against Weidman or Rockhold at 185, he'd look like a stocky midget. Romero would be a good fight mainly due to him being a smaller MW.

I wouldn't say Romero is a small MW, he struggles to make that weight, he used to fight at LHW.
    Plus at 6ft, he's only two inches shorter than Weidman. Granted it's still 3 taller than Woodley

Conor is the same height as Woodley btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Till has no buisness at 170lb though, he's massive and is easily a 185er. Woodley on the other hand is 170lb all day, doesn't have the height for 185.

Gastelum doing fine at 185 and is the same height.
    Pretty much the same here, that and the not nice things he said about not wanting to see his own child.

Yeah, that's not what he said about his child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think Conor has 2-3 more fights left in the UFC then its bye bye Vegas and Hello Hollywood.

What do you think he's going to do in Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Effects wrote: »
    What do you think he's going to do in Hollywood?
    He’s going to get paid a lot of money for having acting roles in terrible action movies. That’s what he’s going to do in Hollywood.

Tazzimus wrote:
    I wouldn't say Romero is a small MW, he struggles to make that weight, he used to fight at LHW. Plus at 6ft, he's only two inches shorter than Weidman. Granted it's still 3 taller than Woodley

Tazzimus wrote:
    Conor is the same height as Woodley btw

Romero is small height wise for a MW, he's huge and carries alot of muscle which doesn't help for weight cuts. I've heard Weidman listed at 6'3".

I'm aware Cmg and Woodley are listed at the same height, but standing side by side they were very similar in size despite the face they were weighing in at 2 different weights.

Just can't see Woodley being a middle weight.

Average MW height is a touch over 6" so he's about average, obviously there are taller in MW but that's true of a lot of he divisions, look at Holloway and the rest of the Featherweights.

Plus, DC is short and hasn't had many issues thus far. Woodley fights smart, I don't think he'd struggle as much as you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

bono_v wrote: »
    He’s going to get paid a lot of money for having acting roles in terrible action movies. That’s what he’s going to do in Hollywood.

Is he going to get a lot of money though? Surely a lot of MMA fighters in movies don't get a huge amount. Once Conor's done fighting there won't be as much interest in him for films. Similar to Ronda's acting career drying up. Not counting WWE. I doubt the money he would get would be enough of a draw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement