Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Effects wrote: »
    Is he going to get a lot of money though? Surely a lot of MMA fighters in movies don't get a huge amount. Once Conor's done fighting there won't be as much interest in him for films. Similar to Ronda's acting career drying up. Not counting WWE. I doubt the money he would get would be enough of a draw.

Id imagine most of the money will be made in a follow up to Notorious or more documentary style pieces. The man has had a variety of camera crew's follow him around basically since he joined the UFC so all that footage will need to be used.
    I can't see him doing any real movies but will probably make an appearance in the eventual next expendables movies.
    He should have his pick of projects

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also - bit left of centre - but in a game of inches I do also wonder about the inherent athletic advantage Islamic dietary laws might confer, particularly if your opposite number might be fond of a tipple etc. It's a way of life that is essentially clean living and in tandem with being an elite athlete. Just another variable, but I'm sure it all adds up...
    Not drinking will always be the advantageous over drinking. But I'm not sure if I'd consider all of the Islamic dietary laws to be optimal. The rules around Ramadan have to be a hindrance. Abdvthe halal stuff is nonsense - although it's not going be neutral rather than harming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mellor wrote: »
    Not drinking will always be the advantageous over drinking. But I'm not sure if I'd consider all of the Islamic dietary laws to be optimal. The rules around Ramadan have to be a hindrance. Abdvthe halal stuff is nonsense - although it's not going be neutral rather than harming.

Almost all food sold in Irish supermarkets is halal approved these days. Besides not eating pork, their diet is no different to a Christian who eats healthy.

In the mix for me would be;
    Poirier, Iaquinta, Lee, Barboza, Gaethje, Pettis

With a leaning towards Poirier or Iaquinta.
    Khabib v Tony
    Barboza v Gaethje
    Pettis v Wonderboy (wtf?)
    Dustin v Iaquinta/Lee
    Conor v Iaquinta/Lee

(Iaquinta just fought Lee for the second time. So I ruled out Conor v Dustin)

Almost all food sold in Irish supermarkets is halal approved these days. Besides not eating pork, their diet is no different to a Christian who eats healthy.
    It's actually halal meat? I'd find that hard to believe tbh. Why would Irish abattoirs be using halal methods as standard.
    It may been approved by some cleric due to the lack of an alternative, but doesn't make it actually halal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kevin Lee just went in on McGregor on instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

ricero wrote: »

For anyone interested. It's a load of garbage imo. Love him or hate him saying he avoids a challenge is nonsense. Saying he won't try redeem himself is bollox also considering the Diaz rematch and the possibility of the Khabib rematch. I'd agree he obviously has things handed to him now but again love him or hate him he worked his bollox off to get where he is now.

Replying to peoples comments and all he is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsteGvMnRqx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1lzm0r34p0fvc

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Nice try by Lee, but he's not getting a sniff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Lately I’m wondering how good Conor could have been if he stayed just focused on fighting and not partying etc and dare I say it moved to a top top level club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is he going to get a lot of money though? Surely a lot of MMA fighters in movies don't get a huge amount. Once Conor's done fighting there won't be as much interest in him for films. Similar to Ronda's acting career drying up. Not counting WWE. I doubt the money he would get would be enough of a draw.

That's because Rhonda is an unspeakably bad actress. Did you see her trying to choke out a single line in that Fast and Furious movie she was in?

The whole cinema burst out laughing, can't quite remember what it was but it was (charmingly) terrible.

I could see Conor being a decent and somewhat charismatic presence on screen.

• Advertisement

I guess he figured out it's between him and Raging Al too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

That's because Rhonda is an unspeakably bad actress. Did you see her trying to choke out a single line in that Fast and Furious movie she was in?

The whole cinema burst out laughing, can't quite remember what it was but it was (charmingly) terrible.

Also see her entourage cameos for reference.

I guess he figured out it's between him and Raging Al too
    Lee isn't even in the picture to fight McGregor - not a chance.

Al is also highly unlikely. It would be a super fight to make but I don't see it making money sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You obviously haven’t see his Pegasus ads with Jon Lovitz. Stiff as a cardboard cutout trying to get his lines out.

Lee isn't even in the picture to fight McGregor - not a chance.

Al is also highly unlikely. It would be a super fight to make but I don't see it making money sense.
    I posted my reasoning above. They are the only options right now, otherwise he's sitting out. Byall means disagree of course but that case suggest an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I posted my reasoning above. They are the only options right now, otherwise he's sitting out. Byall means disagree of course but that case suggest an alternative.

If Pettis signs to fight Wonderboy I would love to see McGregor v Aldo 2 at lw. Otherwise Pettis v McGregor.

Rory28 wrote: »
    If Pettis signs to fight Wonderboy I would love to see McGregor v Aldo 2 at lw. Otherwise Pettis v McGregor.

Pettis is out of the Picture for now if he's fighting Wonderboy - although I'm still not convinced that's real lol.
    Aldo could well move up the LW for his last fight. He definitely deserves the payday.

Al or Lee would make sense from a bounce back / ranking point of view but not in terms of money.

Khabib or Diaz are really the only big money fights for McGregor - when you think of most pay per views come from the common man rather than knowledgeable fans.
    In an ideal world it would probably be Khabib V Tony and Conor V Al - winner fights winner.

Aldo is a slim possibility but that fact that rematch hasn't happened to date would suggest it will never happen. I'd like to see it purely because the first fight ended so quickly so it would be interested to see them go at it for a couple of rounds. I still think Conor takes the rematch.

Personally I would like to see him against khabib again big risk as losing twice in a row but probably put him down the pecking order a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Any of ye see video floating round a mcgregor alledgely in dolphins barn? Cant see him in video but woman recording saying his security dropping him off clothes after being in flat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Except all the meat, surely.

• Advertisement

Except all the meat, surely.
    To be clear, I was talking about just the meat.
    Whether Muslim can have coco pops wasn't my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Can't see him going for it, but I think Al is a more than worthy opponent. Proved his toughness time and again, honing his skills-set as he goes too. From a business point, it's not a match-up maximising McGregor's draw, though...

Seems all this chatter about match-ups might be moot if training is indeed not his priority right now. I wouldn't be sad to see him hang them up if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

dave1982 wrote: »
    Any of ye see video floating round a mcgregor alledgely in dolphins barn? Cant see him in video but woman recording saying his security dropping him off clothes after being in flat

Jasis keep this nonsense for the gossip columns please!

he'd be a shoe-in for an Irish Lucky Charms assassin in an Austin Power's reboot or more likely in some skangerland Guy Ritchie Irish-themed gig.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dave1982 wrote: »

This is an MMA forum, if you want to talk gossip take it to AH..I have posted this enough times lately to not have to keep saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Axwell wrote: »
    This is an MMA forum, if you want to talk gossip take it to AH..I have posted this enough times lately to not have to keep saying it.

Why quote post if you have issue with it? Surely just deleting it be better beside spreading post further down the page.Now there no point me editing my post because you have it quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I wonder what happens next?

To be clear, I was talking about just the meat.
    Whether Muslim can have coco pops wasn't my point.

Really? I wouldn't have thought that. Figures for the UK is only something like 12% of meat is Halal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Halal involves an animal being bled to death by cutting its throat and letting it bleed out right?

Certainly not a common practice in irish abbatoirs.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement