Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D'Agger wrote: »
    If he boxes that clown then count me out anyway. The Mayweather circus was watchable because it was something strange, new and different, this will be like a shítty B-side to what that was.

Get back in the Octagon or simply retire - reference the get in, get paid, get out quote of his

Pure circus, you couldn't sell this fight. Malignaggi is what light welter? That's less than 140lbs

He wouldn't beat a retired malignaggi either, he'll be schooled by a proper boxer. Mayweather barely engaged him.

Boxing is really going to show him up, his cardio is awful, he couldn't hold his hands up by 9th round against Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Reading back the last 10 pages i now fully understand why i decided to unsubscribe from this ****box of a thread...

MarkJD wrote: »
    Reading back the last 10 pages i now fully understand why i decided to unsubscribe from this ****box of a thread...

Who the **** is that guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

MarkJD wrote: »

Oh no, we'll miss you so much. Hope the others in the 'building your own PC' crowd welcome you back with open arms.:pac::pac::pac:

rob316 wrote: »
    Pure circus, you couldn't sell this fight. Malignaggi is what light welter? That's less than 140lbs

He wouldn't beat a retired malignaggi either, he'll be schooled by a proper boxer. Mayweather barely engaged him.

Boxing is really going to show him up, his cardio is awful, he couldn't hold his hands up by 9th round against Floyd.

100%! They really are hoping a 10 second clip from the sparring session can sell this fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Ridiculous if that happens. The Floyd fight was a circus but at least it had the biggest MMA star v biggest boxing star selling point.

This would be an absolute joke and Conor very likely loses.

I really hope his next move is a 5 rounder against Max or Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm hoping for either Cowboy or Pettis fight for him next. They are fun style wise and the main thing, winnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think both Pettis and Cowboy are too beneath him (status wise). I think Khabib will be suspended til 3rd quarter allowing UFC to pull out an ol interim belt for Conor v Tony (I really like that fight, I think Conor takes takes it within 2 and walks straight back into a Khabib fight) or if Conor fancied cutting to 145 and fighting max for an instant title shot, again UFC have enough ammo and balls to make this happen. Harder fight this time and 50 50 for me. The 145 cut might actually help with his motivation.

No interest in a boxing match again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think both Pettis and Cowboy are too beneath him (status wise). I think Khabib will be suspended til 3rd quarter allowing UFC to pull out an ol interim belt for Conor v Tony (I really like that fight, I think Conor takes takes it within 2 and walks straight back into a Khabib fight) or if Conor fancied cutting to 145 and fighting max for an instant title shot, again UFC have enough ammo and balls to make this happen. Harder fight this time and 50 50 for me. The 145 cut might actually help with his motivation.

No interest in a boxing match again.

I always thought Ferguson was an even worse match up than Khabib for him. Ferguson is like a more dangerous and diverse Diaz brother that can also wrestle quite well.

I get what you're saying about status but another loss in his next fight and to me his star is more or less gone in a competitive sense.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I always thought Ferguson was an even worse match up than Khabib for him. Ferguson is like a more dangerous and diverse Diaz brother that can also wrestle quite well.

I get what you're saying about status but another loss in his next fight and to me his star is more or less gone in a competitive sense.

Oh agreed, another loss will be devastating. I admire him always wanting a challenge but a win is badly needed. Cowboy would be a sellable and winnable fight but don't think he'd take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

Fair enough fighting and losing to one of the best boxers of our generation but fighting and possibly losing to Paulie Malignaggi would be terrible for his stock, I really cant see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »

I think thats already the case. I can't see him taking fights now against the top 10 and working his way back up to Khabib or whoever is champ.

Watched the Notorious doc again and its quite clear that the FW champ win was the top of the mountain for him. The Mendes and Aldo fights in 2015. Anything after that is a bonus or a showpiece fight. Going from FW to WW in 14 weeks etc.

A Holloway fight at 145 would change all that of course. Perfectly matched fight which I'd love to see over all others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Nal wrote: »
    A Holloway fight at 145 would change all that of course. Perfectly matched fight which I'd love to see over all others.

I don't see him making 145 again

snotboogie wrote: »

Not a hope, and even if he did it would destroy his ability to perform on the night. Look how small he was muscle and build wise when he was at 145, he just couldn't do it again. When he did make 145 he was in bad shape on the scales, cracked lips, dry eyes and not making much sense when he was talking. They can have that ''dietitian'' Lockheart sell his snake oil all he wants and pretend it would be easy for him to make 145, I don't buy it. I'm not exaggerating when i say this, but I think he would possibly die making that weight again or at least damage his brain.

snotboogie wrote: »

Me neither. Looking at the Aldo weigh in he looked so gaunt.

siver4.jpg

They could do it at 155.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He has also packed on way more muscle since then. I can't see him making 145 again unless he plans on staying there which I just don't see happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hes fighting Holoway next I'll put my house on it.

I think thats already the case. I can't see him taking fights now against the top 10 and working his way back up to Khabib or whoever is champ.

Watched the Notorious doc again and its quite clear that the FW champ win was the top of the mountain for him. The Mendes and Aldo fights in 2015. Anything after that is a bonus or a showpiece fight. Going from FW to WW in 14 weeks etc.

Winning the lightweight title was top of the mountain. He set out the goal of 2 belts an won it with one of the best performance ever seen in an octagon. I think the year out after that is after ruining him.

Winning the lightweight title was top of the mountain. He set out the goal of 2 belts an won it with one of the best performance ever seen in an octagon. I think the year out after that is after ruining him.

I like to think Conor retired after the Eddie fight :)

hang a round long enough and you'll be very badly beaten (Anderson Silva)or made an absolute fool of (Rhonda rousey)

conor will do too because his mind broke ages ago, seduced by money and fame.
    I agree, eddie alvarez was the last real conor McGregor fight.
    he' still crazy young though and in his prime, that's the strange part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

Me neither. Looking at the Aldo weigh in he looked so gaunt.

siver4.jpg

They could do it at 155.

That pic is not from the weigh in of the Aldo fight. Id argue that he actually looked better at the Aldo weigh in that any of his previous fights at 145

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That pic is not from the weigh in of the Aldo fight. Id argue that he actually looked better at the Aldo weigh in that any of his previous fights at 145

It's from the McGregor Siver fight. I mean, it says that right behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rusty cole wrote: »
    hang a round long enough and you'll be very badly beaten (Anderson Silva)or made an absolute fool of (Rhonda rousey)

conor will do too because his mind broke ages ago, seduced by money and fame.
    I agree, eddie alvarez was the last real conor McGregor fight.
    he' still crazy young though and in his prime, that's the strange part of it.

LOL stop making excuses for Khabibs domination of McGregor.

If there is any truth in these rumours of another boxing fight then I feel that is the end of McGregor at the top level of mma. Would show me he doesn't have the heart or desire to get back to the top again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I see conor fighting for the new to be form 165lb division with a view of becoming a triple champ.
    That should be against Khabib - which I would like to see as I don't think he fought to his ability in the first match up.

If not Khabib then bring on Tony.
    I think tony will beat him and eventually go on to beat Khabib - I think tony has the skills to end his reign and do it impressively

It's from the McGregor Siver fight. I mean, it says that right behind him.

Haha indeed.

Still looks gaunt in the Aldo weigh in. Must be more difficult now that hes a few years older to drop to 145.

8989916.0.jpg

Oh the year off did sure but the 155 belt wasn't a contest in the end. "One of the best performance ever seen in an octagon" is way OTT.

Haha indeed.

Still looks gaunt in the Aldo weigh in. Must be more difficult now that hes a few years older to drop to 145.

8989916.0.jpg

Oh the year off did sure but the 155 belt wasn't a contest in the end. "One of the best performance ever seen in an octagon" is way OTT.

It wasnt a contest because McGregor was so good that night. He didnt get touched, dropped Eddie three or 4 times. Stuffed any takedown attempts. Its one of the best performances I've seen at the high level anyway.Eddie is a multiple time world champion. Of course with hindsight after seen Eddie after that fight you'll think he never had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm totally devastated that Tony didn't make it to Howth this morning

#tool

Poor aul Tony is a plank, seen him in Dundrum on Xmas eve and he had his shades on spending his hard earned money. The whole family need to **** off, the sister with the banjaxed face who was somehow a celeb on DWTS or the other sister sending out threats to dog groomers. They are a plague.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

PLOPS wrote: »
    Poor aul Tony is a plank, seen him in Dundrum on Xmas eve and he had his shades on spending his hard earned money. The whole family need to **** off, the sister with the banjaxed face who was somehow a celeb on DWTS or the other sister sending out threats to dog groomers. They are a plague.

You have been warned already - this is an MMA forum. This sort of nonsense is not wanted here, take it to AH. Next time its a ban.

Back on topic folks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

So according to Bjpenn.com Conor is in light discussions for a Boxing match with Paulie [based off the talk when Paulie was helping him prepare for Mayweather.]

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/report-conor-mcgregor-in-negotiations-to-return-to-boxing-for-grudge-match-with-paulie-malignaggi/amp/

Bjpenn.com can be a bit of gossip site so take this with a grain of salt. Though I can see it happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement