Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

his point was in terms of been given the relevant supports and push to stay in education, by showing them via the method of education that education is valuable.

What part of compulsory do neither you nor they understand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

It’s no secret, the dogs on the street know, a huge amount of heroin in the midlands is trafficked through travellers.

And in the south east - the guards raided them recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

we're not talking about working people. we are talking about people like Margaret Cash who dont work, never have worked and most likely are not actually qualified to do any work bar the most menial task.

If we're specifically talking about people on welfare, playing by welfare rules....I think it's policy makers we should be looking at. Unless she's committing fraud what do we expect her to do? 'No thanks love, keep your money, I couldn't possibly, sure I'm full a the drink'?

If we're talking about people on welfare getting something for noting, that's just sh*te talk from 'the squeezed middle' misdirecting their ire. Which makes sense because the f***ing idiots keep voting in FF/FG and then whinging at the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If we're specifically talking about people on welfare, playing by welfare rules....I think it's policy makers we should be looking at. Unless she's committing fraud what do we expect her to do? 'No thanks love, keep your money, I couldn't possibly, sure I'm full a the drink'?

If we're talking about people on welfare getting something for noting, that's just sh*te talk from 'the squeezed middle' misdirecting their ire. Which makes sense because the f***ing idiots keep voting in FF/FG and then whinging at the results.

When the only alternative (apart from the Greens) is rubbish parties that will only increase welfare and hand-outs, there are few options to vote for.

SF, the SDs, the PBP or whatever they are called, along with various independents like Mick Wallace, only want to increase the hand-outs to various groups. I can understand people voting for FG and FF to try and stem the tide.

Your obsession with Leo, even to the extent of your username, is quite strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So is this now the official SF line?
    Blame the "squeezed middle" for the won't work/never worked criminal element and for who these heavily taxed workers voted in?
    Tell us, what would SF do differently that would make these people go out and earn a crust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was getting towards "settled people travel to halting sites to dispose of rubbish" levels!!!!!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/watch-cork-city-faces-250k-bill-to-clean-up-illegal-dump-yet-again-855747.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

That article says travellers are dumping on the site. If there are 'country folk' dumping there on top of it all normal minded people will condemn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

While Margaret Cash herself is far from blameless, I do see her as a product both of Traveller culture (which is responsible for her being taken out of school at 12, married at 15, and pregnant by 16) and the misguided welfare policies of the Irish state, which steadily increased her monthly income and eligibility for social housing as she had more and more children. She is now caught in a poverty trap -- but there's no doubt that her entire life would have been different if she had continued on in school, got a job, and delayed marriage and children until she was more financially secure.

Whilst I agree with posts on both sides of the fence here to a certain extent, the second part of your post I can't agree with.

I don't agree that the welfare state created this situation because traveller women ALWAYS had large families, long before the welfare state existed. That is a tradition that they and only they can change.

I've met some traveller women who try to buck this trend but admittedly very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So is this now the official SF line?
    Blame the "squeezed middle" for the won't work/never worked criminal element and for who these heavily taxed workers voted in?
    Tell us, what would SF do differently that would make these people go out and earn a crust?

You're talking out your ar*se chief. I don't represent nor often vote for SF. And if I did what of it? My comment stands. You've workers who need state aid getting blamed by other workers slightly better off who think they should have it easier and they just might if it wasn't for all the working people and their 'can't afford to live culture'.
    On to your point about dem that want and won't or what ever. Re read my comment. If you don't like the policies blame the policy makers not the recipients. Do you think anyone on welfare is willing or in a position to give back some of their entitlements because some blue shirt aficionado is feeling squeezed? Maybe the poor Tory voter who feels squeezed should go back to school or get a better job and earn a bigger crust? Same dumb logical leap. Or better still stop voting the same wasters in again and again while expecting things to be different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I wouldnt like to be a female traveller.

16 times as likely to have the shît beaten out of you by your partner.
    #savethisculture

• Advertisement

That article says travellers are dumping on the site. If there are 'country folk' dumping there on top of it all normal minded people will condemn it.

You are reading what you want into the article read it again.
    The last few lines...
    Ellis’s Yard is used as a dumping ground for the local area. This is a much broader problem,” a spokesperson for the group said.

She said halting site residents have tried to block certain access points in a bid to tackle the problem. However, she said developing housing on the site would eliminate the problem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ruraldweller56 you seem to be willfully blind that non-travellers can take advantage of the situation and make it far worse.
    Whether it is condemned or not that is another issue.
    It is a known handy way to get rid of rubbish, by some less scrupulous people they can then pretend it is all the travellers rubbish.

It encourages more illegal dumping from a greater area, as others take advantage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You're talking out your ar*se chief. I don't represent nor often vote for SF. And if I did what of it? My comment stands. You've workers who need state aid getting blamed by other workers slightly better off who think they should have it easier and they just might if it wasn't for all the working people and their 'can't afford to live culture'.
    On to your point about dem that want and won't or what ever. Re read my comment. If you don't like the policies blame the policy makers not the recipients. Do you think anyone on welfare is willing or in a position to give back some of their entitlements because some blue shirt aficionado is feeling squeezed? Maybe the poor Tory voter who feels squeezed should go back to school or get a better job and earn a bigger crust? Same dumb logical leap. Or better still stop voting the same wasters in again and again while expecting things to be different?

I commend the governments welfare rates etc that are in place for people who GENUINELY need them and for that we are a lucky country.

One of the most generous welfare countries for people who need it.

I don’t blame the government for people taking advantage of it.

I blame the individual.

The government are trying to do the right thing by people who need welfare and shouldn’t be blamed or voted out because spongers take advantage of it.

But you never miss an opportunity to blame the blue shirts or Tory boy or Leo of course.

You are reading what you want into the article read it again.
    The last few lines...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ruraldweller56 you seem to be willfully blind that non-travellers can take advantage of the situation and make it far worse.
    Whether it is condemned or not that is another issue.

"The Traveller Visibility Group accepted that while some of the rubbish comes from the halting site, it said rubbish is coming from outside sources too."

Copy and paste job. From the article.

Anyone dumping crap there is a dumbass. I'm not trying to make excuses for my fellow settled comrades dumping sh1t there. IF they are dumping sh1t there.

I don't have political allegiances at all so I'm not a blue shirt. I didn't vote for this Govt either. I have little time for politicians of any hue or colour as my post history will support. You on the other hand seem to lean towards SF judging by your posting history.
    My point still stands that no matter who is in power there are certain people who won't work anyway.
    I asked you if SF had a policy to make people work for a living or is it just another political stunt to garner votes in the next election?

"The Traveller Visibility Group accepted that while some of the rubbish comes from the halting site, it said rubbish is coming from outside sources too."

Copy and paste job. From the article.

Anyone dumping crap there is a dumbass. I'm not trying to make excuses for my fellow settled comrades dumping sh1t there. IF they are dumping sh1t there.

EXACTLY!!! Anyone dumping is a dumbass.
    But the way things were being portrayed in this thread that it would be incredulous that ANY non-travellers would add to an illegal dumping site.
    The tone was that comment was laughable and it was reposted a number of times.
    That is the main tenant of my point.
    What does this say about the posters?
    Posters who have the benefit of a good state education etc etc, yet spin facts to nothing more then a stereotype.
    Such willful blindness and stereotyping is the lowest of the low.
    Especially when it comes from people who should know better.

In my view they are just as bad as the Margaret Cash's of this world, in that they are completely blinkered by a myopic viewpoint.
    My idea about more integration with travellers and non-travellers was shot down.
    As it was glibly said they would only rob the people's houses while they were away....

I could give more examples of peoples stereotyping and myopic thinking on this thread, but there is too much to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Tbf anyone who thinks that settled people haven't been dumping rubbish ever since the bin charges came in are naïve in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BBFAN wrote: »
    Tbf anyone who thinks that settled people haven't been dumping rubbish ever since the bin charges came in are naïve in the extreme.

dumping it next to a halting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

But the way things were being portrayed in this thread that it would be incredulous that ANY non-travellers would add to an illegal dumping site.
    Posters have the benefit of a good state education etc etc, yet spin facts to nothing more then a stereotype.

In my view they are just as bad as the Margaret Cash's of this world, in that they are completely blinkered by a myopic viewpoint.

Eh, no. People didn't believe that settled folks were dumping ON a HALTING SITE. That's something completely different to adding to an illegal dumping site. Come on.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, no. People didn't believe that settled folks were dumping ON a HALTING SITE. That's something completely different to adding to an illegal dumping site. Come on.

People avoid halting sites like the plague.

Posters who have the benefit of a good state education etc etc, yet spin facts to nothing more then a stereotype.

My idea about more integration with travellers and non-travellers was shot down.
    As it was glibly said they would only rob the people's houses while they were away....

I could give more examples of peoples stereotyping and myopic thinking on this thread, but there is too much to mention.

Well then maybe somebody else should go and get a good state education and start spinning a few of their own 'facts'. I can think of one woman in particular whose name has been dropped several times already in this thread. Although why should she bother since the likes of RTÉ and Collette Brown and zampadildo and nearly 100% of the MSM are happy to spin facts on her behalf.

I don't know all the facts behind that rubbish site. Anyone, and I mean anyone contributing to it is a pr!ck. Simple as.

But what I will point out to you is this. How is a traveller, living on a halting site, with little or no education (and thereby no job) and heaps of kids and a shot of horses supposed to be able to afford to dispose of their own rubbish, without leeching off the taxpayer or resorting to crime?

That for me is what this boils down to. I'll reiterate. I don't care how they choose to live as long as it doesn't impact on me. Either directly (as it has) or through my taxes (as it does).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The point of ID is to stop the aforementioned fraud. The first argument against vouchers is always that they will sold on black market. What if you turned up for weekly shop and they told you it had been given out already. Someone else gave your name. Sorry. Your goods are linked to you and your id to protect them and ensure only you get them. No different to producing id at post office or intreo centre.

Just make it a chip and pin / contactless style card that they will need to have for next weeks payment too, pretty simple stuff, nobody will pay a blind bit of attention to anyone using such a card at a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Colette browne is the most boring journalist in Ireland, she embodies everything that is wrong with the industry today

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some people believe that you are of the "I've never voted for SF but I am considering it for the next election" brigade.

I can accept that you aren't. You appear to me to have an unhealthy obsession with Leo and Eoghan, as you call them, even to the extent of adopting a username linked to the Taoiseach. So while the enemy of my enemy being my friend means that you favour SF, I guess you would drop them if they ever supported Leo for Taoiseach.

What I don't get is your obsession with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This thread is gas - the amount of people who have set up accounts just to chat in the Margaret Cash thread. Weirdos.

Not racist of course, they are completely justified in their 'dislike' of 'some' travellers. Sure didn't their cousins cousin once get verbally abused by a traveller, and don't the travellers all have Mercs and BMWs but still claiming the dole. Every single one of them.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Colette browne is the most boring journalist in Ireland, she embodies everything that is wrong with the industry today

Ah yes..... female journalists.....another bug bear of the angry boardsie.

Care to have a pop at cyclists next?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This thread is gas - the amount of people who have set up accounts just to chat in the Margaret Cash thread. Weirdos.

Not racist of course, they are completely justified in their 'dislike' of 'some' travellers. Sure didn't their cousins cousin once get verbally abused by a traveller, and don't the travellers all have Mercs and BMWs but still claiming the dole. Every single one of them.

You might be going a bit OTT there but I suspect you know that. Anything else to add or is it going to be like yesterday again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ah yes..... female journalists.....another bug bear of the angry boardsie.

Care to have a pop at cyclists next?

Do you have anything to contribute to the thread at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The problem here is with the "But settled people do it too!" line of argument.

Yes, some settled people engage in illegal dumping.

Yes, some settled people commit crimes.

Yes, some settled people are on the dole.

But this line of argument ignores the reality that Travellers are far more likely to be unemployed, commit crimes, and engage in other forms of violent and antisocial behavior.

The likes of Pavee Point like to quote facts and figures when they can be used to represent Travellers as victims. They like to remind us that young male Travellers are seven times more likely to commit suicide than their settled peers, for instance, or that Travellers' life expectancy is much lower than settled people's.

But mention statistics on Traveller unemployment, criminality, domestic violence, and so on, and you'll be accused of "stereotyping" Travellers.

It's an entirely disingenuous mode of argument, generally used by those intent on representing Travellers as victims of settled people's "racism." They will listen to no evidence that supports the position that Travellers' own culture is frequently violent, lawless, misogynistic, homophobic, and dysfunctional -- instead, you'll hear some variant of "Settled people do it too."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement