Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

elperello wrote: »
    You do know that worldwide about 65 journalists were killed doing their job last year?

Lazy stereotypes like FN only serve to jeopardise the lives of members of the fourth estate who play a vital role in our increasingly fragile democracies.

Some are doing a great job exposing corruption and crime at the highest level and risking their lives to do so, and their sacrifices are tragic.

However too many are simply activists generating clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I don't have any problem with the notion that there are issues to be debated. I am fully aware that there are committed and genuine people working to address those issues and are trying to solve problems.

I do have a problem with an ego driven millionaire using these issues to whip up hate and to try and get himself noticed by what is essentially a rabble who wouldn't have given him the time of day up to this, and who would have been the first to fulminate and keyboard warrior had he himself shown any signs of entitlement.
    AH has been a parody of itself today tbh.

Thats a big problem alright,and like you,I have some sympathy for Coulcil Officials and the likes,attempting to deal with an ever increasing set of rights which have to be satisfied....

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horse-has-bolted-council-will-not-provide-stables-for-1-7m-traveller-homes-in-local-standoff-37398684.html
    Tipperary County Council has insisted categorically it will not be providing stables or paddocks for horses owned by members of an extended Traveller family who are due to move into a new €1.7m housing development.

Six new houses are lying empty outside Thurles in Co Tipperary while the families have been living on an "unauthorised" site across the road for decades and are refusing to move pending the provision of horse accommodation.

Hard to disagree with that decision in the light of what is happening across the rest of Irish society ?
    The council has said there was never an agreement, despite what members of the family involved say, to provide stables for two horses and some land behind each of the six new houses at Cabragh Bridge, about 2km from Thurles.

"There are issues we have to address, we're going to have to negotiate and discuss it with them, but there will be no land provided by the council for horses," the council's director of services for housing, Sinead Carr, said at a meeting in Nenagh.

Somewhere,the issue of Stabling was raised by somebody...and I very much doubt it was by the Local Council ?

Casey,for all his many newly discovered faults,has said little to "whip-up" hate,but simply and clearly,questioned the hard pushed narrative.

Many obviously would prefer the status quo on these matters,but hey,open and frank debate as has now developed,remains far from some Hate Crusade ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems Trump is the new Godwin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have no interest in Casey either.
    I would love details of what the "committed and genuine people who are working to address the issues" have done so far and what they have achieved or what problems they have solved.
    The numbers of travellers who are incarcerated seems to be on the increase rather than diminishing despite all their good work.

Maybe you could enlighten us.

https://www.paveepoint.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Strategic-Plan-2021_NOV17.pdf

https://www.paveepoint.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/30YearsofPaveePoint.pdf

http://www.iprt.ie/contents/2624

Try those for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

S
    dav3 wrote: »
    How do you know these 'racists' aren't racist against the Chinese folk?

RTE hasn't covered it. Surely they would as they're good at that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before you go completing your bingo card. How about you answer this question which you seemed to have dodged.

How come these 'racists' aren't racist against Chinese folks, for example? Could it be that those people simply work and get on with life without bothering and infringing on everyone around them?

Because you and the other snivelling wretches from Waltons mountain would surely have started a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zero Point wrote: »
    He probably knew he was going to come last in the election and rather be seen as a loser, he knew that being deliberately controversial and provocative would ensure he didn't end up bottom of the heap just to save face. That, or he has a serious personal grudge with travellers, as do lots of people, and he's willing to throw a few hundred thousand at a campaign and use it as a single-issue platform.

It will be interesting if he polls more than 10% first preference. How will rte and the IT handle that?

If that happens you will see others taking a similar line I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just asking,

If the Travellers in Tipp are not looking for stables or an acre attached to their lovely new houses, but only want grazing for their horses.....(so they say).

Where are said horses grazing at the moment? And what do they use their horses for?

That's touched (gently) upon in the original reports,but has since been avoided...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horse-has-bolted-council-will-not-provide-stables-for-1-7m-traveller-homes-in-local-standoff-37398684.html
    At least 50 adults and children live in mobile homes and caravans across the road from the new housing development, and say members of their extended family have done so for decades. They have their horses living in stables and paddocks on land which is understood to be in private ownership with at least two or three different owners.

The families say the matter is currently with their solicitor and there has been speculation in the council that the families are hoping to claim "adverse possession", or squatters' rights, of the land they are using for their horses.

This particular "Plot" may not be all about actual Land,but a wee bit more as well ??

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some are doing a great job exposing corruption and crime at the highest level and risking their lives to do so, and their sacrifices are tragic.

However too many are simply activists generating clickbait.

Activists generating click bait deserve to be called out but FN is a pernicious slur on the profession.

Just look what the Saud gangsters did in Turkey.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Thats a big problem alright,and like you,I have some sympathy for Coulcil Officials and the likes,attempting to deal with an ever increasing set of rights which have to be satisfied....

Hard to disagree with that decision in the light of what is happening across the rest of Irish society ?

Somewhere,the issue of Stabling was raised by somebody...and I very much doubt it was by the Local Council ?

Casey,for all his many newly discovered faults,has said little to "whip-up" hate,but simply and clearly,questioned the hard pushed narrative.

Many obviously would prefer the status quo on these matters,but hey,open and frank debate as has now developed,remains far from some Hate Crusade ?

TBH when it comes to bandwagoning against certain communities and organisations I would stay away from the Indo as a source.
    This report says different on the subject of stables and what the families are claiming. Did Peter take the time to talk to the families and clarify the issues today? No, he told a reprter who asked, he was 'rude' and departed the scene.
    They have been reported as “refusing” to move into a €1.7 million development of six houses across the road, because they want stables and a half-acre of land, per house, for their horses.

The families, however, say they have not been invited to move into the houses, and have not asked the council for stables, but rather grazing land adjacent to the houses.

They say if a resolution cannot be found they would be happy to see the houses offered to settled families on the council’s waiting list.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-and-council-clash-over-grazing-land-for-horses-1.3663379

• Advertisement

Pavee Point are just funded mouthpieces. They have achieved little or nothing bar produce nice coloured brochures and reports to try justify their existence.
    They have repeatedly skirted around the crime, drug dealing, fist fighting, littering etc etc carried out by travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Where are the threads? Where are the discussions among people offline? How come it's almost universally Travellers that seem to have this negative reputation. When do you ever hear of any other ''ethnicity'' as widely derided as they are? If there's so many racists frothing at the mouth, how come we don't see them against a plethora of other ''races''?

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Because you and the other snivelling wretches from Waltons mountain would surely have started a thread on it.

He conveniently didn't answer the question first time around because he hadn't an answer for it. Even when he did answer after being asked again, he offered nothing of merit.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    That's touched (gently) upon in the original reports,but has since been avoided...

This particular "Plot" may not be all about actual Land,but a wee bit more as well ??

Thanks for the link. Dunsink Lane was similar if I recall correctly.

As for the adverse possession, how would any landowner allow anyone to occupy the land without any lease or rent in this day and age.

But honestly nothing would surprise me. Dare I say it, intimidation or something?

I am baffled by the hubris of these people. If they don't get what they want and demand from the Council (sorry us, the taxpayers), they will take it to court and demand squatter's rights.

Great that they have the loot to do that. But no money to buy a bit of land or pay rent for same for where they are. The vast majority of people would be absolutely fecked financially if they had to take a case like this. Unless on a no foal no fee basis.

Casey is voicing a lot of people's frustrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Poor Peter was called a racist live on national television last night. It didn't seem to bother him.

I was going to vote for him, but then he went all racist on us.

Terrible racist he is, could you make sure that you lobby your local council to make sure every bit of spare land near your house can go to travelers be it housing estates or caravans....show that racist who’s boss and of course you can then enjoy the many enriching benefits of the travelled ethnic culture.

Pavee Point are just funded mouthpieces. They have achieved little or nothing bar produce nice coloured brochures and reports to try justify their existence.
    They have repeatedly skirted around the crime, drug dealing, fist fighting, littering etc etc carried out by travellers.

It is not suprising that you have that impression when the only time we see these people on the media is to defend generalised comments like Casey made.

Their track record is there in the documents. If you can show that these initiatives didn't happen, that the work wasn't done. Have at it.
    I happen to have been witness to some of it and the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

In all the years I've seen Martin Collins on TV, I've never seen someone try to so convincingly argue that black is in fact white and just fails every time. But he's managed to make a career out of it, nonetheless.

Me and the OH have a bet that EVERY time we hear a spokesperson from Pavee Point the word Racist or Racism will be mentioned. Martin Collins is a legend for saying this.

Haven't lost yet, although racism is something that does not apply at all. They are not a separate race. Some of us with a bit of cop on have figured this out already.

This ''race'' and ''racist'' talk is absolute bollox by the way. It's a fcuking sub-culture at best and so many of the customs are shady as fcuk. That's the reality.

It is not suprising that you have that impression when the only time we see these people on the media is to defend generalised comments like Casey made.

Their track record is there in the documents. If you can show that these initiatives didn't happen, that the work wasn't done. Have at it.
    I happen to have been witness to some of it and the results.

The prison statistics prove it Francie.
    The only change I see with travellers is a reduction in their customery child weddings. Very little, if any, reduction in funeral attacks, attacks on the elderly, and taking up tax paying jobs.
    Sorry Francie, not buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Racists being discussed again on TV3 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

JMNolan wrote: »
    Oh ho, here comes the racist card again.

in fairness to fake news rte they had a good vox pop in cork today about racism
    guest1, i'm a racist everytime i open my mouth, we can't have an opinion anymore without being racist

No wonder Enda Kenny fell off the face of the Earth. He brought this in (with a compliant party) and hasn't been seen since.

I suppose he is hoping for a lucrative job in Europe sorting out the Roma or something now.

The prison statistics prove it Francie.
    The only change I see with travellers is a reduction in their customery child weddings. Very little, if any, reduction in funeral attacks, attacks on the elderly, and taking up tax paying jobs.
    Sorry Francie, not buying it.

Your prerogative. You asked for something and you got it. Plenty of others working at finding solutions too if you care to look. But I dare say you won't. Easier just to bang a drum that doesn't help anyone or solve anything either.

Your prerogative. You asked for something and you got it. Plenty of others working at finding solutions too if you care to look. But I dare say you won't. Easier just to bang a drum that doesn't help anyone or solve anything either.

It probably looks good on paper anyway Francie, but only on paper.
    Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Omackeral wrote: »
    Where are the threads? Where are the discussions among people offline? How come it's almost universally Travellers that seem to have this negative reputation. When do you ever hear of any other ''ethnicity'' as widely derided as they are? If there's so many racists frothing at the mouth, how come we don't see them against a plethora of other ''races''?

I think we can all see you're being disingenuous here. Either that or you're living your life in some make-believe fantasy land shut off from reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

wexie wrote: »
    I'd imagine mostly because if they did, regardless what numbers or information they'd come up with, they'd be finished as professional journalists in the current climate.

But you're right it would be interesting to have some actual hard statistical evidence either way.

Not that I think it would be easy to do, I'd imagine in many (if not all) cases it won't actually be recorded if complainants/defendants/whatever are members of the traveling community. Just doing so or suggesting doing so would probably be considered discrimination.
    Did you know that when a traveller is getting bail they turn up with cash and hand it in covered in urine ask the court clerks about that one . they show nothing but contempt to the people who pay their benefits and go to work each and every day .

It probably looks good on paper anyway Francie, but only on paper.
    Good night.

On the prison stats: Does that mean that all black people in the US are the same and are a 'plague' on society there, given that there are a disproportionate amount of them in their prisons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

JMNolan wrote: »
    Caseys approval goes up every time they roll out Pavee Point. Classic own goal by RTE.
    did they learn absolutely nothing from brexit and trump
    the whole lot of them should be given p45's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It will be interesting if he polls more than 10% first preference. How will rte and the IT handle that?

If that happens you will see others taking a similar line I suspect.

If he polls more than 10% it would be bad but we could get over it.

If others take a similar line we may never get over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement