Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Everyone pays their taxes? Yeah?

What’s your point, are you disputing the fact that the vast majority of travelers pay no tax?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

NIMAN wrote: »
    And Rte just give Pavee Point more airtime to say it's all the racist governments fault.

Caseys approval goes up every time they roll out Pavee Point. Classic own goal by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

JMNolan wrote: »
    Are you referring to the comment about chocolate and diabetes and somehow Gallagher vomited out "racism!"? Fucking bizarre.

Someone called him a racist right to his face on live television. You'd think the first thing he'd do today would be to issue a statement distancing himself from all racism and let it be known he'd be seeing Gallagher in court for slander.

Instead we get him barely able to string a coherent sentence together during a very odd photo op.

I can't believe he's 61 either. He looks much older. He comes across as someone very frail, both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Far too simplistic Francie.
    I do however feel that you know the real reason.

I do. Laziness of mind I think is the problem here. Too hard to work out when you are being manipulated by a rich man who doesn't care what he crashes and burns.

I for one appreciate the hard work I have seen being done in this area and the achievements. We were once an uneducated, marginalised and suppressed people on this island and we overcame that.
    We are better than this candidate tbh.

dav3 wrote: »
    Someone called him a racist right to his face on live television. You'd think the first thing he'd do today would be to issue a statement distancing himself from all racism and let it be known he'd be seeing Gallagher in court for slander.

Instead we get him barely able to string a coherent sentence together during a very odd photo op.

I can't believe he's 61 either. He looks much older. He comes across as someone very frail, both mentally and physically.

What’s his age got to do with anything, isn’t that ageism?

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Echo chamber on Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What’s your point, are you disputing the fact that the vast majority of travelers pay no tax?

TbL

And pay huge bucks.....cash. Wads of it, whiffing of diesel, someone said.

For funerals and weddings.

Cannot figure it out so I can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

The racism card is pulled out so much you'd be all day defending yourself if you bothered. Waste of time arguing with people who throw out the racist card like confetti.

You're a classy guy, you know that?

Macdarack wrote: »
    Have you any idea of the support Peter Casey has on this point? Any? He'll finish second or win on the back of that mini rant alone.

Do you mean online or out in the real world?

TbL

No I am not. Nor am I disputing that there are many problems in that community.

Rabble rousing of keyboard warriors, creaming themselves to get a spiteful comment in is no help, and damages any good work that has been done.

If the man had even presented some solutions, had met with the people in Thurles, it might have mitigated some of the harm, but no, he keeps ploughing the ****tier part of the field. You can wallow in the wake of his plough if you wish, but I ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

autumn2018 wrote: »
    a special mention to the brave journalists at rte and dennis o brien fm :eek:

It's gratifying to see how Casey has unnerved the RTE media managers....their piece on his Tipp visit has few,if any points of note on which they could impale him.

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1018/1005086-presidential-election/
    When asked if the visit represented a media photo opportunity or a stunt, he said he would be doing something similar next week when the subject of his criticism would be the telecommunications regulator Comreg and those responsible for the failure of the national broadband policy.

There was a large garda presence in the area during the visit.

A reasoned response to the accusation,and one which had to be accepted as they had little else to throw at him ?

Not sure why a large Garda presence would be required though ?

Although,perhaps Casey's line is already prompting a bit of a rethink on the equine issue ?
    In a statement released on behalf of the Traveller families, they deny demanding stables or "paddocks" from the council and say they agreed to move to the houses if "grazing land" was provided for their horses.

This appears to be at odds with the statements of the Local Authority,which were quite clear on what was being demanded.

So,already,a supposedly powerless Presidential candidate may just be sowing the seeds of change ?? .....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder how a vote would go on the issue highlighted by Casey I.e.

" do you think travellers should get 2 stables and a half acre of land with their free four bedroom houses?"

What’s his age got to do with anything, isn’t that ageism?

TbL

It's my honest opinion. I honestly thought the man was 80 pushing 90. Fair play to him I thought.

But only 61?...I don't know, I think we need to see his birth cert.

I do. Laziness of mind I think is the problem here. Too hard to work out when you are being manipulated by a rich man who doesn't care what he crashes and burns.

I for one appreciate the hard work I have seen being done in this area and the achievements. We were once an uneducated, marginalised and suppressed people on this island and we overcame that.
    We are better than this candidate tbh.

I'm not interested in Casey as a candidate at all,
    I am interested in the issue he raised though and I am happy that he had the courage, gall or anything else to bring it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Remember years ago even Mary Robinson objected to Travellers setting up a halting site near her our house because she believed the site was "not suitable" for Travellers.

mary multimillionaire robinson
    i'd say she never done a days work in her life and sucking bigtime pension from the public funds
    **** the whole lot of them

Perhaps,Casey understands that being called Racist,particularly if it's on a choreographed media appearance,is largely now seen by ordinary folk as not particularly negative at all.

Plenty of people have the same accusation thrown at them during their working day,with such regularity,that it's become just another form of street greeting.

Like it or not,Casey has empowered a whole raft of usually cowed and silent folk across the country,in a manner which our current,well read and poetically inclined President,has'nt managed to do in the past term of his office.....Casey can't be ALL that bad ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

It's my honest opinion. I honestly thought the man was 80 pushing 90. Fair play to him I thought.

Indeed,if Casey can be honestly Racist,then we here can equally accept an honest Ageist...fair exchange is no robbery surely ?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's gratifying to see how Casey has unnerved the RTE media managers....their piece on his Tipp visit has few,if any points of note on which they could impale him.

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1018/1005086-presidential-election/

A reasoned response to the accusation,and one which had to be accepted as they had little else to throw at him ?

Not sure why a large Garda presence would be required though ?

Although,perhaps Casey's line is already prompting a bit of a rethink on the equine issue ?

This appears to be at odds with the statements of the Local Authority,which were quite clear on what was being demanded.

So,already,a supposedly powerless Presidential candidate may just be sowing the seeds of change ?? .....;)

Wrong. The families were denying they demanded stables before Casey made his remarks.
    They have been reported as “refusing” to move into a €1.7 million development of six houses across the road, because they want stables and a half-acre of land, per house, for their horses.

The families, however, say they have not been invited to move into the houses, and have not asked the council for stables, but rather grazing land adjacent to the houses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/travellers-and-council-clash-over-grazing-land-for-horses-1.3663379

Seems the only thing Casey has achieved is blurring what is actually going on as you amply demonstrate.

No I am not. Nor am I disputing that there are many problems in that community.

Rabble rousing of keyboard warriors, creaming themselves to get a spiteful comment in is no help, and damages any good work that has been done.

If the man had even presented some solutions, had met with the people in Thurles, it might have mitigated some of the harm, but no, he keeps ploughing the ****tier part of the field. You can wallow in the wake of his plough if you wish, but I ain't.

Whatever you think of the man personally, he raises some points that warrant further debate and analysis.

Things have gone too far on the PC front these days.

I don’t think of myself as a racist but:

I wouldn’t want to live beside a halting site
    I think travelers don’t contribute enough to society
    Treat animals poorly
    Have an entitlement mentality
    Are partially responsible for the plight they find themselves in.

I wasn’t going to vote but if I do it’ll be for Casey, not because he’s inspiring or statesman like but rather in the hope that it forces some reasoned and rational debate on the on this issue (that has almost become taboo)

The other 5 did themselves no favors with their trite and try and be as non offensive answer to the living beside a halting site question. Did you really believe their answers?

TbL

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps,Casey understands that being called Racist,particularly if it's on a choreographed media appearance,is largely now seen by ordinary folk as not particularly negative at all.

Plenty of people have the same accusation thrown at them during their working day,with such regularity,that it's become just another form of street greeting.

Like it or not,Casey has empowered a whole raft of usually cowed and silent folk across the country,in a manner which our current,well read and poetically inclined President,has'nt managed to do in the past term of his office.....Casey can't be ALL that bad ?

Do you really know what Casey understands? I doubt Casey even understands what he understands.

You're nearly there with the other part of your post though. Go on, say it, SILENT MAJORITY. Someone needs to say it, I nearly have my bull**** bingo card completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Did anyone else just hear that on Prime Time? In the VT on the presidential candidates, it was stated that Casey doubled down on his remarks about travellers today down in Tipperary.

WTF???
    rte is fake news
    1key4i.jpg

Do you really know what Casey understands? I doubt Casey even understands what he understands.

You're nearly there with the other part of your post though. Go on, say it, SILENT MAJORITY. Someone needs to say it, I nearly have my bull**** bingo card completed.

Forget about Casey and concentrate on the issue he raised.

You thought he was 80 pushing 90.

Any semblance of credibility you might have had has just been blown away.

You’re starting to sound like Trump, you know, like when he wanted to see Obama’s birth cert.

TbL

Whatever you think of the man personally, he raises some points that warrant further debate and analysis.

Things have gone too far on the PC front these days.

I don’t think of myself as a racist but:

I wouldn’t want to live beside a halting site
    I think travelers don’t contribute enough to society
    Treat animals poorly
    Have an entitlement mentality
    Are partially responsible for the plight they find themselves in.

I wasn’t going to vote but if I do it’ll be for Casey, not because he’s inspiring or statesman like but rather in the hope that it forces some reasoned and rational debate on the on this issue (that has almost become taboo)

The other 5 did themselves no favors with their trite and try and be as non offensive answer to the living beside a halting site question. Did you really believe their answers?

TbL

I don't have any problem with the notion that there are issues to be debated. I am fully aware that there are committed and genuine people working to address those issues and are trying to solve problems.

I do have a problem with an ego driven millionaire using these issues to whip up hate and to try and get himself noticed by what is essentially a rabble who wouldn't have given him the time of day up to this, and who would have been the first to fulminate and keyboard warrior had he himself shown any signs of entitlement.
    AH has been a parody of itself today tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

I'm not interested in Casey as a candidate at all,
    I am interested in the issue he raised though and I am happy that he had the courage, gall or anything else to bring it up.

He probably knew he was going to come last in the election and rather be seen as a loser, he knew that being deliberately controversial and provocative would ensure he didn't end up bottom of the heap just to save face. That, or he has a serious personal grudge with travellers, as do lots of people, and he's willing to throw a few hundred thousand at a campaign and use it as a single-issue platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I nearly have my bull**** bingo card completed.

Before you go completing your bingo card. How about you answer this question which you seemed to have dodged.
    I do like to travel. However, I'm not the travelling type that gets the racists frothing at the mouth though.

How come these 'racists' aren't racist against Chinese folks, for example? Could it be that those people simply work and get on with life without bothering and infringing on everyone around them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

autumn2018 wrote: »
    rte is fake news
    1key4i.jpg

You do know that worldwide about 65 journalists were killed doing their job last year?

Lazy stereotypes like FN only serve to jeopardise the lives of members of the fourth estate who play a vital role in our increasingly fragile democracies.

I don't have any problem with the notion that there are issues to be debated. I am fully aware that there are committed and genuine people working to address those issues and are trying to solve problems.

I do have a problem with an ego driven millionaire using these issues to whip up hate and to try and get himself noticed by what is essentially a rabble who wouldn't have given him the time of day up to this, and who would have been the first to fulminate and keyboard warrior had he himself shown any signs of entitlement.
    AH has been a parody of itself today tbh.

I have no interest in Casey either.
    I would love details of what the "committed and genuine people who are working to address the issues" have done so far and what they have achieved or what problems they have solved.
    The numbers of travellers who are incarcerated seems to be on the increase rather than diminishing despite all their good work.

Maybe you could enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just asking,

If the Travellers in Tipp are not looking for stables or an acre attached to their lovely new houses, but only want grazing for their horses.....(so they say).

Where are said horses grazing at the moment? And what do they use their horses for?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before you go completing your bingo card. How about you answer this question which you seemed to have dodged.

How come these 'racists' aren't racist against Chinese folks, for example? Could it be that those people simply work and get on with life without bothering and infringing on everyone around them?

How do you know these 'racists' aren't racist against the Chinese folk?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement