Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no substance to your criticism. By all means debate his points. But just scoffing is wafer thin.

It's hard to criticize a target that is moving so fast and with no actual policies.

We could spend today examining his FF credentials and tomorrow he'll have joined SF. Then the next day he'll be back across the border, in with the DUP to make sure UK gets out of Europe

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The issue is that there isn't really a coherent message in these vague "protest vote" scenarios. Everyone is voting for their own "protest" reason. And it would be impossible for everyone to be satisfied because often their aims are mutually exclusive or contradictory.

You can bet your life there were people who voted in protest because they have been waiting on housing lists for years and perceive that people - travellers/foreigners/single mothers / whatever - jump them in the queue. And you'll get the people protesting that there is any social housing at all.

There is a coherent message in Caseys vote.
    When his vote is anaylsed it will be clear he got most support in the areas where the travellers are causing most trouble. You can check out his vite in each electoral area and if you cant see the link then you need to go to specsavers.

tretorn wrote: »
    There is a coherent message in Caseys vote.
    When his vote is anaylsed it will be clear he got most support in the areas where the travellers are causing most trouble. You can check out his vite in each electoral area and if you cant see the link then you need to go to specsavers.

What exactly was this amazing message?

How did he enlighten you and what solutions did he proffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Donald, what do YOU think his message was?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The issue is that there isn't really a coherent message in these vague "protest vote" scenarios. Everyone is voting for their own "protest" reason. And it would be impossible for everyone to be satisfied because often their aims are mutually exclusive or contradictory.

You can bet your life there were people who voted in protest because they have been waiting on housing lists for years and perceive that people - travellers/foreigners/single mothers / whatever - jump them in the queue. And you'll get the people protesting that there is any social housing at all.

Yeah but its the squeezed middle in Ireland that are the least likely to protest about their situation. The exception was in Fridays vote. They weren't the ones protesting on water charges, why? because either way it would have been them paying for water anyway.
    Nobody came out an protested against property tax because the "pay for nothing brigade" don't own property in general anyway, and squeezed home owners were too exhausted to protest after a hard weeks work.

• Advertisement

Donald, what do YOU think his message was?

I didn't see or hear a coherent one.

Said something without realizing the impact. Then took a few days off. Then realised he could double down on it and say a few more populist things and get his money back.

He appeared to be making it up as he went along.

I don't think you wanted to see or hear it.

I don't think you wanted to see or hear it.

Well enlighten us :D

Only things I heard were
    1) Travellers shouldn't be considered an ethnic group
    2) People on social welfare get too much even though he has no idea how much they get

You've little to be worried about if #1 is affecting your day-to-day life
    Difficult to respond to #2 unless he suggests what his idea of an appropriate amount it

Edit: One more. He is going to get out of politics. Which then means he is definitely going to set up a new party. And that obviously means joining Fianna Fail and becoming Taoiseach. Sure who could find fault in that logic!

I could but I know it'll be about as useful as playing chess with a pigeon

I could but I know it'll be about as useful as playing chess with a pigeon

I know the feeling.

I suppose it's a major secret that only Peter Casey voters can understand.

Must have been sent out via secret channel in the week leading up to the vote to the selected elite. I mean middle class. I mean working class. Or whatever :pac:

I suppose past experience of playing chess with pigeons might have embarrassed you into never trying again if they beat you ;-)

• Advertisement

I'll happily elaborate later if I've time. It's a lovely sunny day and we're off out to enjoy the day. Byeeeeee.

I'll happily elaborate later if I've time. It's a lovely sunny day and we're off out to enjoy the day. Byeeeeee.

Byeeeeeee :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I read a comment somewhere, might have been in an article to make the point of what would have happened if he had the persona of a Farage , able to actually verbalise and convincingly present whatever point he was making. That's when things get scary

That's where we are heading. The whole PC culture has gone ridiculously overboard, you look at hospital queues and see people just dumped on trolleys in a hallway in front of other people queuing, you see people crying out for medical care, or support for their autistic children.
    You see old people living in fear in the country because of travelling gangs targeting their houses or savings.
    You see farmers being robbed left right and center and being threatened by the travellers if they try and report it.
    But they're dismissed as bigots because they voted for Casey who were asked a simple question and answered it truthfully. Sure he might be a gob****e but he's tapped into the feeling of the working class who feel they are getting nothing for busting their ass every day working while travellers and welfare scroungers get handed everything.
    But of course Varadkar and co don't give a toss up in Dublin as long as they have their snouts in the trough they're happy.
    Now they're starting to wake up that they might have a serious issue in the next election. If all these people are disillusioned with FG it could be a serious threat to their re-election so their first instinct is to try and smear Casey, dismiss his voters as bigots etc.
    If we keep going down this road we're going to eventually get a political party that could prove disastrous to us as a country.

sunny day? :confused:

Blazer wrote: »
    That's where we are heading. The whole PC culture has gone ridiculously overboard, you look at hospital queues and see people just dumped on trolleys in a hallway in front of other people queuing, you see people crying out for medical care, or support for their autistic children.

Could always go the alternate PC route. (PC being Casey :pac: )

Right after pontificating about people being on trolleys and the Irish health service being underfunded, he went on to explain how he kept his tax residency in the US so that he could pay 39% tax total. That included a 1% charge for US medicare on up to $110k income. He also said he does pay tax in Ireland because his employees in Ireland pay tax!

So surely if we all followed his lead and paid our tax to the US government, and into the US "healthcare system" then the HSE would be magically funded. Or something like that. I don't know how it works. But apparently it must.

I'm not making the above up. I posted a link to the podcast earlier. Can do it again if you don't believe me

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

So was Donald Trump (the real one) and we all know how that turned out...

This is how things start - you get people outraged with a specific easy target race/ethnic group/group of people in order to distract people from the real issues so you can have power while the country gradually eats itself.
    Ridiculous post. That's the type of edgy thinking I'd expect from a teenager without much real life experience.

I guarantee if you lived in rural Ireland and lived in fear from a minority, you'd consider it a real issue and wouldn't be considering said minority an easy target. It's a real issue for people who leave their kids in creche to go to work to pay huge taxes to support a minority who are 90% unemployed and turning down free forever homes because they also want stables.

People were already sick to the back teeth of being taken advantage of. Nobody needed to whip up any outrage. Someone simply said what no other politician or person in the media would say. What also won Casey a lot of support was his refusal to back down over what he said, which is very rare now. Most people bow down to social media pressure and spew apologies they don't mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Could always go the alternate PC route. (PC being Casey :pac: )

Right after pontificating about people being on trolleys and the Irish health service being underfunded, he went on to explain how he kept his tax residency in the US so that he could pay 39% tax total. That included a 1% charge for US medicare on up to $110k income. He also said he does pay tax in Ireland because his employees in Ireland pay tax!

So surely if we all followed his lead and paid our tax to the US government, and into the US "healthcare system" then the HSE would be magically funded. Or something like that. I don't know how it works. But apparently it must.

I'm not making the above up. I posted a link to the podcast earlier. Can do it again if you don't believe me

You know there is more than one type of tax?

If you have an employee you pay PRSI, if you sell goods you pay VAT, if you own a car you pay motor tax, if you own a house you pay property tax.

So saying he pays tax in Ireland is correct.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Its quite obvious that our Irish Elite and Wealthy Areas are crying out for Traveller Halting Sites .

This desperate desire and need must be fed immediately .

During the Presidential Election and sense ya feel that desperate desire .

Donnybrook and Foxrock really will be big on this . They are bleeding crying out for their Halting Sites .

Don’t leave them is such desperate need !

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You know there is more than one type of tax?

If you have an employee you pay PRSI, if you sell goods you pay VAT, if you own a car you pay motor tax, if you own a house you pay property tax.

So saying he pays tax in Ireland is correct.

So then must the Travellers who he castigated for not paying tax? What you are arguing is that they actually do pay tax? That Peter was wrong to say they don't?

He said he pays tax because his employees pay tax.
    Seeing as we are going full retard pedantic here - he doesn't pay his employees, his companies do. And the company then pays him. Unlike the normal employees, the bould Peter doesn't pay tax on his payout. But that's ok isn't it as long as the plebs do. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So theres a perception that all travellers are out robbing the place blind.

Travellers are saying some are doing that because they cant get work.

Literary rates in the travelling community are way lower than the national average.

Why is that so and how can it be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Marian Finucane and her establishment cronies on Radio 1 now dismissing Casey's vote as a blip and non event.
    She even said or agreed that his 23% vote is not a big message to the establishment. "Its only 23%"
    I would beg to differ on that. Casey's vote is a strong message to our social democratic government to reboot our social welfare state and make it harder for the "pay for nothing brigade" to bleed our country dry.

Let them think that and keep saying it and see public frustration grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The big jump in his vote shows that a lot of people are really pissed off with the cohort of our society that take the piss.
    The spongers who will never work because the welfare state will look after them.
    The criminals with dozens of convictions who carry on with impunity because there is no real deterrent. No real punishment.
    The hand wringers who lament that the state is not there to wipe the asses of those who won’t take responsibility for wiping their own ass.
    The tax money that gets wasted to keep the spongers in cans and smokes.
    The serially offended who run to the press when life fails to meet their expectations but would not lift a finger to improve themselves.

If a political party came along that could tap in to that they would be a serious force to be reckoned with. A party that unashamedly looks after people who work, pay taxes and want a better society and country. Help those that need help when they need help. Reform the justice and welfare system.

The Peter Casey vote is there to be tapped in to.

omega man wrote: »
    Let them think that and keep saying it and see public frustration grow.

That's pure idiocy and incompetence from rte

We don't want to end up like Trumps America or Tory Brexitland

Stop pushing us in that bloody direction

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's kind of funny to see people desperately sticking to the script right to it's illogical conclusion.

Some no hoper actually dared to challenge the outrage brigade and didn't back down when they came after him. it won him 340,000 votes

That's the sound of a bluff being called at a national level. There's a few sacred cows going off to the slaughterhouse in the near future I reckon

P_1 wrote: »
    So theres a perception that all travellers are out robbing the place blind.

Travellers are saying some are doing that because they cant get work.

Literary rates in the travelling community are way lower than the national average.

Why is that so and how can it be fixed?

Well it’s fairly simple. Everyone needs to stop being such racists and hire them poor oul travellers.

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Well it’s fairly simple. Everyone needs to stop being such racists and hire them poor oul travellers.

Eh no. We need to fix the literacy levels of the travelling community. Education is the way forward. If we don't do that then the same cycle of shiite will just perpetuate for another generation.

We're a republic and that means all citizens should have equal rights and reaponsibilities. This means we in the settled community need to stop looking down on our noses at travellers and it also means those in the travelling community need to educate their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So then must the Travellers who he castigated for not paying tax? What you are arguing is that they actually do pay tax? That Peter was wrong to say they don't?

He said he pays tax because his employees pay tax.
    Seeing as we are going full retard pedantic here - he doesn't pay his employees, his companies do. And the company then pays him. Unlike the normal employees, the bould Peter doesn't pay tax on his payout. But that's ok isn't it as long as the plebs do. :pac:

If a traveller taxes their vehicle then yes. If a traveller owns a house and pays property tax then yes. Employees employed directly are paid by PC not through a corporation.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

P_1 wrote: »
    Eh no. We need to fix the literacy levels of the travelling community. Education is the way forward. If we don't do that then the same cycle of shiite will just perpetuate for another generation.

We're a republic and that means all citizens should have equal rights and reaponsibilities. This means we in the settled community need to stop looking down on our noses at travellers and it also means those in the travelling community need to educate their children.

Uh I think you’ll find the settled community is not the reason travelers don’t go to school. It’s becuase “their culture” doesn’t see it as needed. And the rest of us would stop looking down on them when they stop robbing us left and right, carrying on like clowns and give over with the “culture” **** as an excuse for every backwards ass thing they do.

• Advertisement

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Uh I think you’ll find the settled community is not the reason travelers don’t go to school. It’s becuase “their culture” doesn’t see it as needed. And the rest of us would stop looking down on them when they stop robbing us left and right, carrying on like clowns and give over with the “culture” **** as an excuse for every backwards ass thing they do.

Good job putting words in my mouth pal. Were a republic in 2018 and some of the backward practices carried out in the name of culture have no place in it.

Segregation is not going to fix that though. We need to have traveler kids going to school with settled kids. The current generation is fooked but there might be hope for the next one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement