Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

rom wrote: »
    If I wake up tomorrow morning and say I identify as a traveller (non practicing) is there any grants or stuff I can get. Can I apply for grants to pay for my kids to see them through college (though I can afford it).

If you or any of your family have gone to college, then just say it's in your culture to go to college on the application form, and you will be fine.

If you or any of your family have gone to college, then just say it's in your culture to go to college on the application form, and you will be fine.

Don’t forget to call the admission department racists if they deny your application, that’s the important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Casey and the electorate used each other. He got a big lift and got 2nd place behind the incumbent who was always going to be a shoe in. People who are sick of the powers that be indulging travellers and scroungers were handed an unexpected opportunity to make their point. We live in a democracy, allegedly, but not all voices get heard most of the time.

It would be an interesting exercise if some journalists went out on the ground and actually talked to the people who voted for Casey. Better than assuming they're all part time members of the KKK or ill educated muck savages.
    I voted for Michael D, but tbh I think you are pretty spot on. I think vast majority of people who voted for Casey fit into that category, however there were clearly some more extreme people as well who decided to vote for casey (his actual comments were pretty reasonable imo and for anyone to call them racist is ridiculous)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Pretzill wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not one of the huge Michael D supporters because of this election he didn't even get my number 1, but he's not some little person...he's a man of enduring political nounce, who has served the electorate here in Ireland for more years than I've lived. He is also our president and deserves a little respect. We live in a republic, we shouldn't feel ashamed by that.

Err..what exactly has Micky achieved on behalf of the electorate in all the years he's done??

Blazer wrote: »
    Err..what exactly has Micky achieved on behalf of the electorate in all the years he's done??

Stuck it to the man and took a plane 160km. What a rebel that lad. If only I could be as cool as him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Is it time travellers should be declared an enemy of the state?

PS I’m not talking about people that travel through time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Shinners very quiet. Got their asses kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

holyhead wrote: »
    23% of the vote for Peter Casey was impressive. More than all the other candidates put together, save Higgins obviously. To be honest I never heard of him before this election for President. Have to say it was a breath of fresh air to hear someone make a statement of the obvious which the politically correct brigade and Travellers took offence to. Any politician who subscribes to the theory that Travellers are an ethnic minority has to seriously ask have they anything between their ears and do they simply lack backbone. I don't recall anyone in the media having the cojones to back him in terms of his statement re Travellers. If he had been a better public speaker he may have made more inroads vote wise.
    I think the politically correct brigade will continue to rule the roost. Casey kicked up dust and struck a chord with a large number of people. It will all settle down and the status quo will continue. Root and branch reform of how this country works will never happen. I don't see either the inclination or ability in anyone currently serving in the Dail to radically change the country for the better.
    Ireland isn't a bad little country but there is so much to fix with health and housing the first things to spring to mind. We live in hope. Without hope.........

I was the same about the election. No interest whatsoever.

Casey came along & all of a sudden I knew I had to vote.

Casey got my No 1 & Nobody else got a look in.

Lots of hard working people have no voice left in this country.

Minorities are looked after. Any issue that comes up goes like this. Would it affect the Gays/Islam/Tree Huggers & our treasured indigenous 'ethnic' minority.

John Connors wants to leave the country now. Great. I will gladly drive him to the Airport. In fact, maybe I could hire out a few lorries, I'd drive out lots of his kind for export on my own coin.

It would be an investment for the future.

To support a view that the working people that support the recovery are right wing racists and bigots says it all.

They said that Casey was another Trump & that anybody that voted for him was a fool.

Well I'm a 'fool' & proud to have the chance to show it.

If the powers that be ignore this result, they will get a real deal Trump & people will vote him in.

Then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Peter Casey now says he is joining FF. Feck sake go it alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

mattser wrote: »
    Shinners very quiet. Got their asses kicked.

Casey received more votes in the Presidential election than Sinn Fein did in the 2016 GE despite the much lower turnout.

Casey: 342,727
    Sinn Fein: 295,319

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mobby wrote: »
    Voted Casey number 1, knew he would never make it with all the media bias. But at least he pissed off all the lefties,do_gooders and freeloaders for a few days.:D
    So little michael is back in the big House for another seven years,So be it.
    We get what we deserve and never learn. say he will sleep well tonight little michael.
    RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Stuck it to the man and took a plane 160km. What a rebel that lad. If only I could be as cool as him :pac:

Well let's see. Micheal D used to work in a factory he worked hard and was the first person in his family to go to college.

He went on to have TG4 started promoting Irish language and the re-establishment for the Irish film industry.

Removed censorship for political parties which was legal against sinn fein.

And has spent decades promoting Irish cultural centres across the globe .

What have you done this morning ?

There is this utter drivel about people being lefties and liberal when the fact is im from Tallaght what is known as the one of the worst areas in Ireland if the newspapers would have you believe. My parents worked bloody hard to get me and all my siblings through college.

I've worked hard and I have a very good job and my own home in Wicklow as does my other half.

Im a member of no political party I don't affiliate myself with any but I can vote on my conscience. I can see that Michael D through his actions is best suited for the job at hand and that's why he got my vote.

I don't use my vote for protest actions because it would make me a moron .look what's happening in the UK right now with protest voted for Brexit.

Does this make me a lefty am I elite ?

No it doesn't and anyone that calls me that is dim witted fool and spends too much time on Facebook reading crap that backs up their idiocy in a lovely little echo chamber.

Ive worked my arse off all my life and won't have anyone label me into a neat little box to make themselves feel good about making stupid decisions

I would thank this more than once if I could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Was all that just a vehicle to tell us how great you are?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Was all that just a vehicle to tell us how great you are?

Yeah pat im mad for self promotion its what gets me up in the morning.

Have you considered your not a considerate person ?

If you were then you wouldn't have posted that.

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah pat im mad for self promotion its what gets me up in the morning.

Have you considered your not a considerate person ?

If you were then you wouldn't have posted that.

When it comes to people I'm the most inconsiderate person you could find. Just saying how it read to me anyway and it's a well known trait of Irish people to pull their wire for everyone.

Anyway, I digress and this has nothing to do with Casey or travellers. It was just early and there were no other posts.

_

When it comes to people I'm the most inconsiderate person you could find. Just saying how it read to me anyway and it's a well known trait of Irish people to pull their wire for everyone.

Anyway, I digress and this has nothing to do with Casey or travellers. It was just early and there were no other posts.

_

Thats brand as long as you can see that.

Try reading it again with an open mind void of pre assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pretzill wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not one of the huge Michael D supporters because of this election he didn't even get my number 1, but he's not some little person...he's a man of enduring political nounce, who has served the electorate here in Ireland for more years than I've lived. He is also our president and deserves a little respect. We live in a republic, we shouldn't feel ashamed by that.

Yeah I don't want to personally attack the man and I am sure he will continue to do fine as president , but years of service shouldn't a valid reason.

Everything that applies to Higgins applies to all career politicians. I am sure many Michael Higgins voters would be appalled by Enda Kenny rocking up to the Aras put he has also giving his life to public service and achieved a lot more in that time (love or hate him)

Higgins well cultivated image as a poet etc has won him more votes than any actual action he has taken as president or as a politician. He is a safe president for safe Ireland

Thats brand as long as you can see that.

Try reading it again with an open mind void of pre assumption

"I've a great job"
    See's it as a positive you don't live where you came from for some reason? (Wicklow isn't Kildare either).
    Looking down your nose at people using social media as people that shouldn't be allowed an opinion?

Like...?

"I've a great job"
    See's it as a positive you don't live where you came from for some reason? (Wicklow isn't Kildare either).
    Looking down your nose at people using social media?

Like...?

I read your post twice and I still don't know what it means.

If your inferring to me being proud for working hard in college and having a successful career as being something bad. Then I'll counter that as me showing that I'm no money grabbing dole scrounger from a council estate.

My parents still live in tallaght I wanted to live by the sea with some land in my garden.

Anything else useful to add about how you want to pull people down for voting Michael D?

Do I not fit in the neat elite south Dubliner killiney bucket ?

Must be tough for people to understand that I'm more thoughtful with my vote than fkin it away on a single angry issue. Which it has nothing to do with the presidential office and the office has no impact on anyway.

Go on..

Ah land. You're great, tip of the cap and my humblest apologies sir.

• Advertisement

Ah land. You're great, tip of the cap and my humblest apologies sir.

I get it , I read your posts across forums.

You fill your life with one liners hoping beyond hope to get that like . To get that laugh .

It may happen at some point this morning. Keep trucking pat one of these will pay off.

Or you could just go out for a walk to alleviate the stress

I get it , I read your posts across forums.

You fill your life with one liners hoping beyond hope to get that like . To get that laugh .

It may happen at some point this morning. Keep trucking pat one of these will pay off.

Or you could just go out for a walk to alleviate the stress

You haven't a tiny clue then. 99% of my posts you're stalking are posted in hate and badness, not in any attempt at humour. Lazy attempt at one of the oldest boards trucks in the book in your part really.

You haven't a tiny clue then. 99% of my posts you're stalking are posted in hate and badness, not in any attempt at humour. Lazy attempt at one of the oldest boards trucks in the book in your part really.

Scouring for likes sir.

Scouring

Scouring for likes sir.

Scouring

Piss poor.
    Nobody could ever think you're a brag merchant so they must be scouring for likes. Scouring.

That's good so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I voted for Peter Casey less about his views on travelers and more about that a good vote for him might drive a discussion around social welfare and that imo we as a country are creating a system that is a long term career and allows people to have a lifestyle above some that work 40 hours plus a week. This to me leads to workers feeling undervalued and discourages people to work, negatively impacting the economy in the long term.

As someone in my 30s I continue to be surprised as to how controversial and edgy economic conservativism is in this country. I grew up in North Kerry, a comically conservative area with regards money, and as a teenager I genuinely thought Irish people were very sensible when dealing with their finances. As I got older as saw some crazy stuff during the so called Celtic Tiger and poor handling of public finances I realise Irish people in general just spend for today with no thought to the rainy day.

One thing about yesterday's vote is that the surge in the Casey vote could be ignored by the media and politicians as merely votes from ignorant, uneducated rural people like me and the economic mismanagement around social welfare spending will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

rom wrote: »
    If I wake up tomorrow morning and say I identify as a traveller (non practicing) is there any grants or stuff I can get. Can I apply for grants to pay for my kids to see them through college (though I can afford it).

Think bigger.. there's stables going

I voted for Peter Casey less about his views on travelers and more about that a good vote for him might drive a discussion around social welfare and that imo we as a country are creating a system that is a long term career and allows people to have a lifestyle above some that work 40 hours plus a week. This to me leads to workers feeling undervalued and discourages people to work, negatively impacting the economy in the long term.

As someone in my 30s I continue to be surprised as to how controversial and edgy economic conservativism is in this country. I grew up in North Kerry, a comically conservative area with regards money, and as a teenager I genuinely thought Irish people were very sensible when dealing with their finances. As I got older as saw some crazy stuff during the so called Celtic Tiger and poor handling of public finances I realise Irish people in generally just spend for today with no thought to the rainy day.

One thing about yesterday's vote is that the surge in the Casey vote could be ignored by the media and politicians as merely votes from ignorant, uneducated rural people like me and the economic mismanagement around social welfare spending will continue.

I guarantee it was the social welfare thing that got most people. The traveller thing was just an easy out for the flakes to be able to shout 'racist' at people instead of facing up to anything

As someone in my 30s I continue to be surprised as to how controversial and edgy economic conservativism is in this country. I grew up in North Kerry, a comically conservative area with regards money, and as a teenager I genuinely thought Irish people were very sensible when dealing with their finances. As I got older as saw some crazy stuff during the so called Celtic Tiger and poor handling of public finances I realise Irish people in generally just spend for today with no thought to the rainy day.

Genuinely I value your contribution to the thread. But equally I don't see how you could equate the vote for casey as being picked up by anyone as a vote for economic conservatism.

At what point did that even make it into the discussion?

I mean the man was on rte yesterday telling people that NAMA owned the site of the stardust tradegy. Something that is not factual and NAMA said as much later in the day.

This fella was a liar and a cod and continues to be. Throwing your vote sent no message.

If you want economic conservatism then I urge everyone that threw a vote at this guy to talk to your local TD they have open clinics. Send them an email chat to them on the doors when they come looking for a vote.

That is the only method of moving change not dealing with charlatans.

Be human and communicate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If you want economic conservatism then I urge everyone that threw a vote at this guy to talk to your local TD they have open clinics. Send them an email chat to them on the doors when they come looking for a vote.

That is the only method of moving change not dealing with charlatans.

Be human and communicate

And if Casey leads to more people doing this, then it has been a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Genuinely I value your contribution to the thread. But equally I don't see how you could equate the vote for casey as being picked up by anyone as a vote for economic conservatism.

I believe he drew some attention to the crazy welfare spending, particularly around the example where people were not happy with a free house, they also wanted paddocks and a stables.

He wasn't a great candidate though as you point out but I would agree that none of them were.

I agree fully with your comments on letting politicians know. I have often emailed all my local politicians and gotten in touch with ministers offices around this. One of my first cousins is an elected representative and he would be only too aware.

An election is coming sooner rather than later and we all have the opportunity to get our points across firmly at the door.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement