Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordability of Property and Irish Wages/Salaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Does everyone's friends keep them regularly updated on exactly what salaries they're on? In my group this would not be discussed, though obviously you can make a guess based on what the job is.

Plenty of people with good qualifications and experience are on or around the average salary of 35k. There aren't enough of these amazing tech jobs with huge salaries and stock options to go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Flying Fox wrote: »

Plenty of people with good qualifications and experience are on or around the average salary of 35k.

their 'good' qualifications and 'good' experience clearly aren't good enough then. 35k is an entry level salary for most finance jobs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Does everyone's friends keep them regularly updated on exactly what salaries they're on? In my group this would not be discussed, though obviously you can make a guess based on what the job is.

Same here. Not a taboo topic with close friends or some former colleagues, but not a very common topic either.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same here. Not a taboo topic with close friends or some former colleagues, but not a very common topic either.

my information comes from close friends, what we pay hiring people and involvement in forecasting,

you dont have to ask all your mates what they earn to have information on general levels of salaries ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

This discussion has gone way off topic, it’s getting to the stage of who has the biggest or best car at this stage!

Right, we have ascertained that many on this post are on amazing salaries, well done!

I thought the topic was about the property market not what people are working at and how big their wallets are or aren’t?

bri007 wrote: »
    This discussion has gone way off topic, it’s getting to the stage of who has the biggest or best car at this stage!

Right, we have ascertained that many on this post are on amazing salaries, well done!

I thought the topic was about the property market not what people are working at and how big their wallets are or aren’t?

way to miss the point of whats being discussed at least it will get you some thanks from the posters whose myths have been debunked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I’d say your one of this people Cyrus that look in the mirror every day and tell yourself how great you are?

Cyrus wrote: »
    way to miss the point of whats being discussed at least it will get you some thanks from the posters whose myths have been debunked :P

bri007 wrote: »
    I’d say your one of this people Cyrus that look in the mirror every day and tell yourself how great you are?

all i have done is offer some real information into a discussion, what exactly is your problem with it? and what are your thoughts? or do you just resort to insulting people instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

all i have done is offer some real information into a discussion, what exactly is your problem with it? and what are your thoughts? or do you just resort to insulting people instead?

Would you stop going on about how great your salary is ffs! Look other people dont earn as much as you and that’s why they are priced out of the market. You know, the whole idea of what we were discussing in this thread.
    Your opinion on it seems to be, well they should just retrain and earn more money it’s there tough luck.
    It doesn’t work like that.
    There has to be affordable housing provided to people who are on average industrial wages, ie 35k.
    Alternatively we have to have rents that only take up approx 40% of net take home pay (for average industrial workers) for people that can’t afford to or don’t want to buy a property.
    If you want to go ahead and get mortgaged up to the hilt go right ahead, but if the next correction comes along and interest rates start to rise and people lose jobs, then dont start pissing and moaning about how banks lent too much to people and it was all the banks fault.
    It’s soloutions we want, not people boasting about how much they earn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have you ever worked in grocery? They earn every fecking cent especialy at Aldi and Lidl. Coming from a retail background and trying to break into Law I've gone from 50K a year to eventually (if I'm lucky and do all my homework) paying to do the job! Sometimes the money isn't everything.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Would you stop going on about how great your salary is ffs! Look other people dont earn as much as you and that’s why they are priced out of the market. You know, the whole idea of what we were discussing in this thread.
    Your opinion on it seems to be, well they should just retrain and earn more money it’s there tough luck.
    It doesn’t work like that.
    There has to be affordable housing provided to people who are on average industrial wages, ie 35k.
    Alternatively we have to have rents that only take up approx 40% of net take home pay (for average industrial workers) for people that can’t afford to or don’t want to buy a property.
    If you want to go ahead and get mortgaged up to the hilt go right ahead, but if the next correction comes along and interest rates start to rise and people lose jobs, then dont start pissing and moaning about how banks lent too much to people and it was all the banks fault.
    It’s soloutions we want, not people boasting about how much they earn :rolleyes:

Another like bait post, good lad, well done ;)

Please point out any post where i "went on about how great my salary was"?

also the thread is property market 2018, not the cheap houses for all thread, so ill discuss any aspect of the property market that interests me thanks all the same.

Finally, the CB rules are there to ensure people dont mortgage themselves to the hilt and i would strongly argue for their retention, unless you want a house for free so you dont need a mortgage at all?

my information comes from close friends, what we pay hiring people and involvement in forecasting,

you dont have to ask all your mates what they earn to have information on general levels of salaries ffs

I was just answering another poster’s question and not making any statement beyond the personal experience I mentioned or directing anything at you ... no need to take it personally.

Retail has always been like that most people don't realise there's good money in it. I really do hope though that all the Nurses, Gaurds, Chefs etc. don't decide they need to leave Dublin in order to find a house.

My family is from Oxfordshire and they've some amazing hospitals in the area that simply can't attract nursing staff becuase it's too expensive to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Not all jobs have options for earning great money, nursing, guards, teachers are all roles where even if you are good at your job you are on a set salary scale so don't have options to earn more unless you change career which many understandably don't want to.

To be fair you earn good money but they work the arse of you. I know two people who did the job for a few years but both packed it in as it was more or less impossible to have any sort of life outside of it.

In general you are talking about a very small number of people who are on the kind of money you are talking about so its not very relevant to the general average price of houses.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Not all jobs have options for earning great money, nursing, guards, teachers are all roles where even if you are good at your job you are on a set salary scale so don't have options to earn more unless you change career which many understandably don't want to.

To be fair you earn good money but they work the arse of you. I know two people who did the job for a few years but both packed it in as it was more or less impossible to have any sort of life outside of it.

In general you are talking about a very small number of people who are on the kind of money you are talking about so its not very relevant to the general average price of houses.

generally to earn good money you have to work very hard, and thats a choice that you have to make, but the poster is making the point its there if people want it.

obviously in a role like a nurse or teacher you are more constrained re earning potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

keane2097 wrote: »
    Oh god I know how RSUs work.

Your year 1 grant is 15k, split in four. It can grow while you are waiting for it to vest.

Your year two grant is going to be a new 15k-ish worth, maybe plus a bit more if you are getting a raise.

Your year 1 grant is still worth whatever it grows to.

If your 15k in year 1 was 100 shares, they are not going to give you another 100 shares in year 2 if the price is gone up by 50%. That would be giving you a new set of shares worth 22.5k. They are going to give you a new 15k worth of shares as your new bonus (plus a little bump probably). Your new 75 shares or whatever will go on their own 4 year vesting period.

Maybe I'm not being clear. If I get 100 RSUs this year worth ~5k, and all goes well so next year so they want to give me a new batch of RSUs. If the stock price has doubled this year my new batch will be 50 shares, because they want to reward me with around a 5k bonus. If the stock price halves they might give me 200 shares. The number of units you are given each year is the size of the bonus they want you to have divided by the share price.

The value of each tranche as it vests is separate.

This isn't how it works in all companies.
    Some give all the shares up front but one 16th vests each quarter over a period of 4 years. So the 50 shares you cash in in 4 years time should be worth a whole lot more than the ones cashed in at quarter one.

Then after the 4th quarter i.e. at the end of year one you get another load of shares up front which will vest quarterly over another 4 year period.

So technically by year 4 you will be getting the last of the shares granted in your first year, plus a portion of the new lot granted in year 2, plus a portion of the new ones granted in year 3......

I just need to figure out how to get into one of those companies!!!

they generally hire graduates for the roles that lead to the €90k salary and the role is more storeS manager than store manager. You work about 60 hrs a week to cover all of the stores you're responsible for and people don't last long at it.

There's more people making €150k in shares from facebook etc than are longterm in Aldi & Lidl on €90k :pac:

• Advertisement

Michael Moore basically said the same thing in that documentary capitalism a love story.

Fair play to him if he did. I’m not in line with his ideology but one thing you can’t take away from him is that he knows what’s really going on on the ground in middle America much better than most American journalists and politicians which is probably why he is one of the very few public commenters who announced Trump’s victory.

But going back on topic, the problem is that the hard discussion on which kind of society we want, and in relation to this thread/forum, who we want to be able to afford living in capital cities/economic centres still hasn’t happened. And as I was saying before our luck in Ireland is that since we are a few decades behind many Western countries we can look at what went wrong in other places. And again IMO acceptance of an economic model whereby living in a capital city/economic centre is not financially achievable for many layers of the population anymore is one major cause (though not the only one) for which societies are breaking-up.

It's not 'always there if you want it'. Success is not purely based on education and hard work, there are lots of other factors going back as far as having stability in childhood, good role models, confidence in your ability, good connections and a bit of luck. People should be able to work hard and reap the rewards but they don't always get back what they put in. Easy for the ones sitting in the ivory towers to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

obviously in a role like a nurse or teacher you are more constrained re earning potential.

That's the big problem though: these are damn essential jobs with unsocial hours and someone has to do them. Do we really want to live in a society where we risk losing more essential service staff like them because they simply cannot afford living anywhere close to work because they didn't choose a job in finance?
    Every single public hospital in Dublin is understaffed, the guards are understaffed and the conditions are certainly not very attractive to pick these jobs up yet they're absolutely essential to get keep us as a society running. Same with care workers, teachers etc. Passion jobs, someone's got to do them and if not people complain about all the bloody foreigners working on wards.

Not everyone works in finance, not everyone has the brainpower to work in finance and while I appreciate that these numbers are normal for some people here, it's not for the majority and the lot here is still talking about a small percentage of the population grossing these numbers. It's not real or representative for the average Irish person earning an average Irish salary in one of the million essential fields out there.

LirW wrote: »
    That's the big problem though: these are damn essential jobs with unsocial hours and someone has to do them. Do we really want to live in a society where we risk losing more essential service staff like them because they simply cannot afford living anywhere close to work because they didn't choose a job in finance?
    Every single public hospital in Dublin is understaffed, the guards are understaffed and the conditions are certainly not very attractive to pick these jobs up yet they're absolutely essential to get keep us as a society running. Same with care workers, teachers etc. Passion jobs, someone's got to do them and if not people complain about all the bloody foreigners working on wards.

i agree with most of this and wouldnt be against a dublin premium (and maybe a cork one, not sure if its warranted) for public service roles.

It's not 'always there if you want it'. Success is not purely based on education and hard work, there are lots of other factors going back as far as having stability in childhood, good role models, confidence in your ability, good connections and a bit of luck. People should be able to work hard and reap the rewards but they don't always get back what they put in. Easy for the ones sitting in the ivory towers to judge.

People also always take good health for granted, not all of us are so lucky.

its also easy to make excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

i agree with most of this and wouldnt be against a dublin premium (and maybe a cork one, not sure if its warranted) for public service roles.
    This would be the final nail in rural Ireland's coffin!

beaz2018 wrote: »

why?

• Advertisement

beaz2018 wrote: »

why?
    Because this is one of the major incentives for people (teachers/nurses etc) to move back to the country - their salary is worth far more than in Dublin

Advertisement