Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not without me horses boss. Free housing rejected

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sickening to see such levels of entitlement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Sickening to see such levels of entitlement

And worse than the entitlement is the heroic defence of same from the usual suspects on here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Praetorian wrote: »
    The truth is I don't know a single settled person who would want to live beside a traveler family.

To be fair, I live up the road from settled Travellers and can say I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with them in the 4 years I've lived here. They have horses and stables to the side and back of their house but their plot is large, well kept and the horses look to be in excellent condition. The very worst thing I can say about them is that sometimes other people's dogs bark at their horses. They bought their house and land 30+ years back. It's their house, bought with their own money and they clearly love and take care of their home and animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's a halting site with council-built social housing near where I work.

The council built them houses but no stables. Didn't stop them owning dozens of horses though. They just graze them on the roads and farmers fields nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give them to people who work and contribute to society here and who struggle to find a place. They deserve it at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

DChancer wrote: »
    Sadly it appears that the grating of Ethnic Status means that do have such rights as they claim to be part of their ethnic Culture.
    Not agreeing with it just pointing it out

And apparently it was part of the initial plan/agreement.

Give them the land and the stables. And then inspect said land, stables, and horses frequently and rigorously. After all; they're an council land so the council has ultimate responsibility. Those horses should be sheltered, fed, bedded, vetted, shod, wormed, and microchipped as per the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Madness,

Are the horses all registered with the department, microchiped and have passports?

Does this mean if I come from a farming background I'm entitled to be housed on a farm?

Madness,

Are the horses all registered with the department, microchiped and have passports?

Does this mean if I come from a farming background I'm entitled to be housed on a farm?

Oh I do hope so - the grandfather was a farmer up North!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hawkelady wrote: »
    Seriously ??? Their offspring turn out exactly like the parents and parents before them !!

And why do you think that is?

The cycle won't be broken unless people are better housed and educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Guy on radio this morning said they could have a dozen horses.

If they are eligible for a free house how are they able to afford 12 horses and their upkeep. I would hope the council are doing their job and seeing if these horses are properly microchipped etc......

Remove their protected status aswell, getting sick of this ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what I don't really understand is why travellers are treated by the state with a kind of guilt ridden deference. It's like they are Ireland's version of the North American Indian populations and the settled community stole their lands and perpetrated massacres on them and therefore they are given special treatment and dispensations as a form of reparations not afforded to the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

This isn't breaking the cycle. They are getting too much for nothing. Marrying too young & having too many uncontrollable children. There are travellers in my sons class, when the girls are asked what they want to be when they grown up they say 'mommys'. And the state will finance this lifestyle choice

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe because they have children who need decent accommodation. Your "them" includes women and children.

So? Out on their ear the lot of them and let them pay for their own accommodation like all the families who are paying for their own homes to house their kids and paying tax through the nose to house these entitled leeches (who are also very fond of visiting taxpayers homes and businesses and robbing all around them).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You can take the horse to the trough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How in the did it cost €300,000.00 to build one of these houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

vicwatson wrote: »
    How in the did it cost €300,000.00 to build one of these houses?

I would say it is probably kitted out to the highest standard imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Mrs Cash is due on Claire Byrne tonight, assume hard questions will be asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Its almost funny. Stop funding for traveller welfare groups right now. They have the same entitlements as the rest of us and no more.
     They also have the same responsibilities as they rest of us...

There has been a law in place for many years obliging local councils to provide traveller accomm.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1998/act/33/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s no Homeless Crisis, it’s an Entitlement Crisis.
    I think many would disagree, and rightly so, but this is absolute madness, if they can afford to maintain horses where is that income from. They have a right to keep these animals as much as I can to have any luxury, which is based on my ability t pay for it myself.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    In reality, I see this ending with a deal for a communal piece of land for the horses. No one would move into the houses if the camp is going to remain across the road so the houses are pretty worthless unless occupied by these families.

Best way to nip this in the bud, give the houses to someone else, let them wait in line like everyone else, decline something like this, move along, plenty of people would gladly and gratefully take these houses, move these people and their entitlement on. Whatever money is in the pot for housing people, there is certainly none for this level of entitlement.

Edna (sic) has a f**king lot to answer for so!
    Was going to say, but he doesnt have to deal with it.

iguana wrote: »
    To be fair, I live up the road from settled Travellers and can say I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with them in the 4 years I've lived here. They have horses and stables to the side and back of their house but their plot is large, well kept and the horses look to be in excellent condition. The very worst thing I can say about them is that sometimes other people's dogs bark at their horses. They bought their house and land 30+ years back. It's their house, bought with their own money and they clearly love and take care of their home and animals.

Well your post regarding the people you know seems to be the antithesis of this thread and exactly what people are saying they should do, ie pay their way.

What about that money going to fund the housing and education of people who will, gladly, willingly accept it? rather than those that wont just take, but want more.
    I dont like the independant, but this article needs to be seen, its a pretty despicable attitude to take given the housing cicumstances of thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I recall a similar story with a new estate built for travellers in Limerick on the Dublin Road opposite Chawkes about 10 years ago. They didnt get the land and stables AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Claire will probably compliment her on her clothing choice and say "Penneys, I assume" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Hee ****ing haw! What a joke. There's people with no homes and horses are being prioritised...what a heap of **** country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

If these "travellers" want a house,get up off your lazy dole scrounging arses and earn the money to pay for one.
    Actually leave your bed at 6am and pay taxes like the rest if us.

That won't happen though,because you are part of a "minority" group and you feel like you are above the law and rules of life.

Typical hand out mentality.
    Gimme gimme gimme boss.....

They make me puke.
    Absolute low life's. Wastes of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I might as well keep to the spirit of the thread.
    The middle class people of this country are all w4nkers, all of them, no exceptions.
    Am I doing it right?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Do you work for a living?

Oh sorry. Well in that case you're entitled to nothing from the state but a tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

And worse than the entitlement is the heroic defence of same from the usual suspects on here.

They're only winding us up. No way they would ever tolerate these boyos within a mile of where they live, let alone having them as friends

"Mrs Cash, sorry Ms Cash... how hard has it been for you to bear the brunt of evil internet trolls ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

The middle class people of this country are all w4nkers, all of them, no exceptions.
    Am I doing it right?

Almost. Substitute w4nkers with suckers and you've summarised government budget policy perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Am I doing it right?

Middle class people are paying for this and don't have their hand out. Why would you insult them? Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement