Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Same, also thought he would
    Kill Stormfront end of ep-3 and make it look like an accident. I mean, he was about to kill Starlight

Not sure if I like the character...yet - don't think she is long for series tho

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭al87987

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not sure if I like the character...yet - don't think she is long for series tho

I think that 7th spot will be like the Defense against the Dark Arts teacher in Harry Potter. Different person each season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: Ohhhhh!
    Either she's gonna kill Homelander and Kimiko this season or one of them is gonna mess her up!
    :eek:

I couldn't stand the scenes with the deep's gills. Makes my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I couldn't stand the scenes with the deep's gills. Makes my skin crawl.

I think that was the intended effect tbh, nowhere near as cringe inducing or painful as Starlight's singing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Have to say, I've loved the first 3 eps and feel like they just hit the ground running after S1.

The new characters introduced are interesting, whilst Homelander continues to evolve as a character while still remaining gleefully sadistic. His scenes are uncomfortable to watch at times but also the ones I look forward to most because you just never quite know what he's going to do.
    I think that was the intended effect tbh, nowhere near as cringe inducing or painful as Starlight's singing though

Again though, the intended effect. Her movements and intro were a complete take on these celeb gatherings in the US where they always march someone out to sing.

Have to say, I've loved the first 3 eps and feel like they just hit the ground running after S1.

The new characters introduced are interesting, whilst Homelander continues to evolve as a character while still remaining gleefully sadistic. His scenes are uncomfortable to watch at times but also the ones I look forward to most because you just never quite know what he's going to do.

Again though, the intended effect. Her movements and intro were a complete take on these celeb gatherings in the US where they always march someone out to sing.

Oh indeed I get it, it's still cringey AF. I haven't liked her since the start of the show tbh, I know the intention to take off the 'All American Prom queen Barbie' [or whatever it was Stormfront called her] type, but even a tongue in cheek portrayal of that nauseats me and I've wished every scene between her and Hughie was 5 minutes shorter. That's a bit of an issue for the series overall, I feel any of these episodes could have been 45mins max, one too many drawn out scenes each ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Absolutely despise Hughie, he's just so dull. Almost as boring are Maeves scenes with her sister, what is the point in that? And they're twice as long as the good scenes like Homelander with the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thargor wrote: »
    Absolutely despise Hughie, he's just so dull. Almost as boring are Maeves scenes with her sister, what is the point in that? And they're twice as long as the good scenes like Homelander with the kid.

That's not her sister, it's her ex. Looks like the way things are going Homelander is going to find out, and that probably won't end well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's not her sister, it's her ex.

With this series it could easily be both.
    I know it's not but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it.

I was reading somewhere that this is being review bombed on amazon's site by ones not happy that it wasn't all released at once.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

I was reading somewhere that this is being review bombed on amazon's site by ones not happy that it wasn't all released at once.

Dumbest reason to down score something ... because you can't watch/play it. It's been happening a lot with games on the likes of Metacritic too. If only there was some form of proof of purchase/download/view/play before you can rate. Was a time I'd trust user reviews over the critics. They're like polar opposites these days [the pro critics tend to over rate every other TV show, the likes of RT is proof of that]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With this series it could easily be both.
    I know it's not but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it.

Not really sustainable for streaming services to drop whole seasons in one go unless you have multiple shows you can drop each month
    People just sign up for a month for their favourite show (usually free trial) then cancel
    Dunno why they don't restrict free trials to non new releases
    Personally prefer the binge watch compared to the networks stretching shows out usually with a long hiatus mid season

Finding the new episodes a bit meh. Loved the first series

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thargor wrote: »
    Absolutely despise Hughie, he's just so dull. Almost as boring are Maeves scenes with her sister, what is the point in that?

It's her ex, but even then it's becoming clear the reason Maeve can't be with her is because she's afraid of what Homelander might do due to his jealousy. So I think it's definitely leading to confrontation between Maeve and Homelander.

Which I think is great because all Maeve did last season was stand around, so at least she has some sort of a story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Dumbest reason to down score something ... because you can't watch/play it. It's been happening a lot with games on the likes of Metacritic too. If only there was some form of proof of purchase/download/view/play before you can rate. Was a time I'd trust user reviews over the critics. They're like polar opposites these days [the pro critics tend to over rate every other TV show, the likes of RT is proof of that]

Yes, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. I wonder are critics wary of writing off the next big show or something.

Penn wrote: »
    It's her ex, but even then it's becoming clear the reason Maeve can't be with her is because she's afraid of what Homelander might do due to his jealousy. So I think it's definitely leading to confrontation between Maeve and Homelander.

Which I think is great because all Maeve did last season was stand around, so at least she has some sort of a story now.

In fairness the airplane scene (and her visit afterwards to her ex) was quite memorable from the last season. Hasn't had anything interesting in S3 so far.

Black Noir for me is the biggest one that they've failed to explore at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i thought its just been an ok start few things interesting but a bit meh

also finding Hughie extremely annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My two main grumbles with the characters defiitely centre around Hughie & Butcher, but for entirely different reasons. Hughie is a passenger and seems incapable of making any impactful decisions himself; his total contribution to The Boys' plans amounts to sleeping with one of the Seven. There's only so far you can take his schtick of being a bit of a wimp, swooped up into the madness.

Meanwhile, Butcher smells like a character the writers are way too in love with; he definitely has a cocky assh0le swagger to him, but it also feels like we should be in awe of his badassery, all vulgarity and leather coats. Just too Try Hard at times, with an air of the "Poochie" about him. His story ain't that interesting either TBH; a generic "dead wife" motivation arc that's just so played out and even after the Season 1 finale and reveal, couldn't find myself caring.

Mother's Milk & Frenchie feel like better characters; especially the former who has both agency in his own choices, and something tangible to lose. And Frenchie has a better sense of mystery; heck he has a better sense of "cool" TBH. His accent is just as fake as Butcher's, but he's not trying to be the Coolest Guy in the Room either - thus making him cool

Agree mostly with the above 2 posts, Hughie is a bit of a useless dope and this introverting himself thing over the last few eps is really fing irritating - either speak up or stop wasting screen time dipstick!

Funny fact: I knew nothing about the actor playing Butcher, and didn't know Butcher was supposed to be a Cockney! I just jumped in and when he appeared thought "Ah, is he an Ozzy? or South African maybe?" The accent was so bad :D And yes, he can be annoying AF too but at least he keeps things moving where Hughie is slowing s**t up with his poor me routine constantly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Karl Urban is from New Zealand, but he certainly doesn't make any effort to put on an English accent of any sort.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Karl Urban is from New Zealand, but he certainly doesn't make any effort to put on an English accent of any sort.

That makes sense, as I often confuse SA for the Kiwi accent. It's about the worst attempt at Cockney I've heard to date outside of p*ss takes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I could forgive the "cockney" accent if later on we find out it's a coping mechanism and manifestation of Butcher having had a mental breakdown at some point. Unless the show already outed him as actually English?

Weirdly, I think the show knows it's an abysmal accent too, as the in-universe interstitials, the "dramatic reconstruction" of Stilwell's murder had a fake Butcher also pulling a horrendous English accent.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I could forgive the "cockney" accent if later on we find out it's a coping mechanism and manifestation of Butcher having had a mental breakdown at some point. Unless the show already outed him as actually English?

Weirdly, I think the show knows it's an abysmal accent too, as the in-universe interstitials, the "dramatic reconstruction" of Stilwell's murder had a fake Butcher also pulling a horrendous English accent.

There is that moment during a flashback between him and Homelander, an in joke that I get now but didn't then - HL turns to Butcher's wife and says "love that accent" after Butcher walks away [now I know that both actors are actually Kiwi]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

steve_r wrote: »
    In fairness the airplane scene (and her visit afterwards to her ex) was quite memorable from the last season. Hasn't had anything interesting in S3 so far.

Black Noir for me is the biggest one that they've failed to explore at all.

If the source material is anything to go by, his story will be incredible

gerrybbadd wrote: »

We did see the first signs of human emotion from him at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Have Black Noir's powers been established in the show. From what I've seen it seems to be like super stealth and indestructible?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    Have Black Noir's powers been established in the show. From what I've seen it seems to be like super stealth and indestructible?

If they stay true to the comics, he is a hugely influential character. Don't want to say too much about the powers as it would be a bit of a giveaway, and spoil it for you.

The few bits we've seen so far suggest a character marching to his own drumbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think some comments on Hughie are harsh. The guy's connection to Starlight helped bring Vought's involvement with Compound V into the spotlight, which is their biggest achievement to date. He's hardly a passenger given he did that off his own initiative. And he's entitled to be pissed off at the others going back to Butcher over his head, seeing as Butcher left them for dead and he risked his own life to save them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just started this show Saturday and I've caught up to s2e3, gutted I've nothing else to watch now. Are they released a particular day each week?
    Infinitely much better than all the summer superhero blockbusters released in last 10 years, they're just kids films now. Except deadpool. Asshole superheroes make great TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Just started this show Saturday and I've caught up to s2e3, gutted I've nothing else to watch now. Are they released a particular day each week?
    Infinitely much better than all the summer superhero blockbusters released in last 10 years, they're just kids films now. Except deadpool. Asshole superheroes make great TV.

I remember going to captain America in Liffey valley and I came out as in, that's it? How did it get such good reviews? I couldn't understand it. There was about one good insightful thing about him being weak but being strong and the rest was like a child's comic.

There's many more layers to the boys, although tbh, Hughie is the ordinary man and he seems to deal exceptionally well with his murder of translucent...

Advertisement