Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

Late to this, binge watched in 2 days. Best thing I’ve seen on TV in long time. Very cynical and extremely well made. Homelander is just brilliant, I loved Banshee and Sheriff Hood. Two Kiwis are the stars of the show in the Boys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just checked to see if it's up-ep.1 is there on AP. Thought I was going to bed, guess not...

sabat wrote: »
    Just checked to see if it's up-ep.1 is there on AP. Thought I was going to bed, guess not...

Balls... I really shouldn't stay up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

sabat wrote: »

Ah feck ya, I just finished rewatching episode 5 and thought I'd head to bed. Not happening now!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Only 3 episodes :( A new episode now every Friday.

• Advertisement

Watched the first two- not as good as season one. Lot of silly plot holes particularly around A Train.

Just firing episode 3 now and hope it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A nice article on how The Boys successfully subverts our Superhero ideaism.
    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200903-why-we-no-longer-need-superheroes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode and had that air of a surprise lost. The first season of course used shock tactics to grab attention, but obviously the hard to get the same reaction from the familiar. Still could do without the grisly stuff, cos Homelander alone can shoulder the simmering threat of violence just with a single look. Feels far more menacing than intermittent splatter

If the series finale doesn't consist of 30 uninterrupted minutes of having the absolute tar kicked out of him, I'll consider the entire show a failure of dramatic catarsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Aha just 10 mins into S02E01 and already its great. The funeral song lol and Homelander as lovably hateable as before. I think himself and Denis from IASIP could be brothers :pac: Great to have it back. If its half as good as S01 it'll be twice as good as most ****e.

And Billy's back ! Urban is great as Butcher. Never minded the accent at all.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Watched the first episode and had that air of a surprise lost. The first season of course used shock tactics to grab attention, but obviously the hard to get the same reaction from the familiar. Still could do without the grisly stuff, cos Homelander alone can shoulder the simmering threat of violence just with a single look. Feels far more menacing than intermittent splatter

If the series finale doesn't consist of 30 uninterrupted minutes of having the absolute tar kicked out of him, I'll consider the entire show a failure of dramatic catarsis.

Anthony Starr was great in Banshee which was an outstanding show but he is so menacing in Boys. To see that smug look beaten off his face.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Watched all 3 so far

Stormfront being....well....stormfront. certain shots she looks very like a certain AH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thought the first 3 episodes were ok. There was a bit of a cheap start to the new season with
    Billy Butcher waking up again? in a different location. The public reveal about Compound V seems to have been a little understated so far anyway, it feels like it will play a bigger part later on in the series going forward.

Its a pity the big set piece scene in the 3rd episode was spoiled in a previous trailer too. It was really impressive nonetheless. Fair frustrating to have to wait another week for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought episode 1 was a nice return. The scene with
    Rayna's head exploding was a shocker.

Episode 2 was alright but fairly slow-paced. Episode 3 in contrast was great. Last twenty minutes or so were very exciting. I had to laugh at
    the whale scene. Also really liked the pay-off of Butcher stepping up to save Hughie. Really want to see Stormfront get her comeuppance.

I found out by accident they have some deleted scenes and scene commentary available in the X-Ray section. It's under 'Bonus Content'. Nothing of major significance but it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Feck it watched the 3 episodes already!!! So far really enjoying it.

Get the feeling the CEO (Gus Fring) is runnnig the new member Stormfront to put the great American hero in his place.

doesn't have that first season magic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ryan already got his spinoff with Brightburn.

So Jim Beaver plays Robert Singer? Maybe I knew that and forgot.
    Patton Oswalt has such range with a flying blue unicorn and now gills.

Liked the Seven knockoff costumes in the party shop. I'm sure we'll see the equivalent over the next couple months in the real world.

Thought it was a good start.
    We don't know who made the head explode?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: That was a good intro. Recap, then showing us where the characters are, what's going on and then
    the LOOK on Hughies face when Billy turned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Billy is such an annoying character and Urban's accent is so bad. I really hope they have some sort of interesting arc for him, he's by far the worst thing in the show.

Great to have it back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Homelander drinks milk like an absolute psychopath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Story coming along.
    Becky being stuck in a compound explains a bit (did we already know that? I can't remember). Kimiko and her brother fight was well done. Loved the look on Billys face when he Kimiko shot him daggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

So thoughts, on the first 3 episodes

A little underwhelmed, honestly. I thought the first two episodes in particular were more scene setting than anything else. We barely saw Butcher at all, and Homelander only in the context of his family.

It just seemed to lose a bit of momentum really, some nice moments but a little bit of treading water (the Deep segments)

Episode 3 was a step up - and a lot happened to move the story along. Stormfront is a very interesting character and there's a lot of potential there.

steve_r wrote: »
    So thoughts, on the first 3 episodes

A little underwhelmed, honestly. I thought the first two episodes in particular were more scene setting than anything else. We barely saw Butcher at all, and Homelander only in the context of his family.

It just seemed to lose a bit of momentum really, some nice moments but a little bit of treading water (the Deep segments)

Episode 3 was a step up - and a lot happened to move the story along. Stormfront is a very interesting character and there's a lot of potential there.

Nothing spoiler about any that. I agree with all you say. Underwhelming so far but episode 3 was class and could have been the season opener almost

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Does the first ep give a good catch up of season 1 or an i better reading a YouTube catch-up first?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Does the first ep give a good catch up of season 1 or an i better reading a YouTube catch-up first?

Yes and no
    Better to do a quick watch of the last season finale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yes and no
    Better to do a quick watch of the last season finale

Plenty of recaps on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I binged S1 over the weekend and I'm up to date now, would have binged through S2 if they didn't put clampers on it, oh well, something to look forward to on Fridays.

I honestly didn't think I'd really like it but a few people suggested it and I've nowt else interesting to follow atm. I'll always give a new [to me] series at least 2-3 episodes of a chance, and well before I knew it I was heading for the S1 finale.

I wouldn't say it's the best series I've seen past couple of years, preferred Umbrella Academy tbh, but it is better than I might have expected. Some of it is cringe, and gets a bit long winded -
    [the whole Starlight and Hughie love thing just irritates me]
    but I guess there has to be something driving the guy.

Is it weird that Homelander is my favorite character? :D Shout outs to Mother's Milk though too, the Tees he wears alone make him cool AF [De La Soul, Wu--Tang, Public Enemy ... ] and The Deeps' f'd up story keeps things interesting

S2 Ep 3
    I would imagine many viewers want Stormfront to get her head smashed in already

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One thing I thought might have happened when Homelander
    threw his kid off the roof would be that he killed him
    - just to show what an arsehole he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

fritzelly wrote: »
    One thing I thought might have happened when Homeland
    threw his kid off the roof would be that he killed him
    - just to show what an arsehole he is

Same, also thought he would
    Kill Stormfront end of ep-3 and make it look like an accident. I mean, he was about to kill Starlight

Advertisement