Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and man, anyone even ideologically adjacent to PETA mightn't enjoy that episode!

Still doesn't quite know what to do with Hughie. Wish they made him a tech wizard or something practical and vaguely indispensable, because the "canary" argument is a bit of a thin excuse to keep him around. He's obviously the audience surrogate, but he just needs that critical piece of agency.

Stormfront's big scene was decently handled even if I suspected it coming (and seemingly inadvertently spoiled way back when she was revealed, to those not familiar with the cultural connotations of the name). Wasn't quite sure how it gelled with her earlier, not-fúcks-given feminist angle earlier, but perhaps it's going for the contrarian "free thinker, wake up sheeple" schtick that's sometimes a smokescreen for
    alt right or full on neo Nazi ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wish they made him a tech wizard or something practical and vaguely indispensable, because the "canary" argument is a bit of a thin excuse to keep him around.

They seemed to be going in that direction in the early part of season 1, like when he helped them spy on Popclaw. But I agree there hasn't been much in that way since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

There's a lot to nit pick at, but you either roll with it or give up, just like every other series out there. I'm enjoying it more now than I was to start, almost gave up on it midway through S1 tbh. Homelander is definitely my favourite character, you don't have to like what he does but you are definitely interested in what he'll do next

I wish there was more of French in the boys. He just needs to be a bit stronger, I.e. the whole hand over kimiko's brother to the CIA was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thargor wrote: »
    It was a stupid decision not to make anyone who joins The Boys
    take compound V and become super strong
    like in the comics.

I am struggling with this as the show goes on, really enjoy it but it doesn't really make much sense at all.

It was literally the core premise of the comic, now it's just a bunch of "lads" who can magically outrun and outfight superheros, the FBI, CIA, etc.

Maybe they're building to it, I'd be incredibly disappointed if they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With Compound V now known about publicly, in regards to that comic
    , it may happen
    Wonder if there'll somehow be Compound V on the streets with random people getting superpowers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I don't know what to make with Stormfront being eulogised by the far-right on Twitter. Surely Amazon must have known this would happen.

Good show nonetheless, one of the best around, hope she gets her comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Birneybau wrote: »
    I don't know what to make with Stormfront being eulogised by the far-right on Twitter. Surely Amazon must have known this would happen.

Good show nonetheless, one of the best around, hope she gets her comeuppance.

Oh they knew, her Hero name hails from a Neo Nazi website to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They're only following the source material. So far, she's quite tame compared to the comic Stormfront.

They've made a lot of changes from the comic and they're all for the better, in my opinion. The comic can be very edgelord-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Anthony Starr was brilliant - as always - in this scene.

He has somehow mastered the art of being able to switch from smiling and jovial to psychotic in the flick of a switch, but either way there's constantly this bubbling undercurrent of menace from him. The way he calls Butcher "William", probably just to piss him off and then taunts him about having breakfast with his wife. "Deeee-licious" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,243 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh they knew, her Hero name hails from a Neo Nazi website to begin with

Yeah, I know. These kind of disingenuous tweets are the result though. I'm not going to bang on about it now. Love the show.

https://twitter.com/LordFalconMan/status/1304533397906296832

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thargor wrote: »
    It was a stupid decision not to make anyone who joins The Boys
    take compound V and become super strong
    like in the comics.

It makes sense from a TV perspective. As they are very Anti-Vought, viewers wouldn't be interested in The Boys, if The Boys
    became the thing they were fighting against. Which is focused around accountability and being invunerable. Their problems will be whisked away, with compound V

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It makes sense from a TV perspective. As they are very Anti-Vought, viewers wouldn't be interested in The Boys, if The Boys
    became the thing they were fighting against. Which is focused around accountability and being invunerable. Their problems will be whisked away, with compound V
    Don't agree with that at all tbh. It would also explain why the CIA are deferring to them, they do what the government can't be caught doing. As it is it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Continuing the above segue about people on the internet being thundering idiots, the show is being review bombed - because of politcs? Oh no. Because Amazon are releasing this weekly. Ye gods. Maybe it's just CoVid craziness coming out in weird ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Continuing the above segue about people on the internet being thundering idiots, the show is being review bombed - because of politcs? Oh no. Because Amazon are releasing this weekly. Ye gods. Maybe it's just CoVid craziness coming out in weird ways.

i prefer the shows coming out weekly

Yup, 'reviewing' something you haven't even watched is as dumb as it gets. It wasn't Amazon decided to only release them weekly either, it was the producers, they wanted fans to take time to digest each episode and discuss ... not just binge through them asap.

https://toofab.com/2020/09/13/the-boys-eric-kripke-review-bomb/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Homelander with a Joan Burton esque comment at the start of ep 5.

These people are starving but have cellphones- top class

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That crowd lasering scene... yikes. :)

Another great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Mr E wrote: »

Another great episode.

The face scene with The Girl :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Mr E wrote: »

Another great episode.

What was so good about it, nothing happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was a wow scene for me. Pity it didn't stick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Why is The Boys being singled out for criticism of its weekly release schedule. Other shows like Better Call Saul and The Mandalorian were released weekly? Is it an Amazon thing?

Why is The Boys being singled out for criticism of its weekly release schedule. Other shows like Better Call Saul and The Mandalorian were released weekly? Is it an Amazon thing?

I don't get the impression there's any stance in it beyond Internet Brats behaving in a manner along the spoilt, "first world problem" manner. I just presume desperate folk who live their lives on social media and nowhere event adjacent to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

It's a modern era thing. People want it now, now, now. I'd love to see them all at once too but I can appreciate that adding a week between them builds anticipation and lets you digest each episode better. It's slowly savouring a meal and not stuffing it all in your face at once.

These people leaving reviews would never have survived 80s TV, I remember waiting a week between every Knight Rider episode and counting down the minutes. And those episodes were almost always self-contained/procedural, there wasn't even an overall series arc!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

soap1978 wrote: »
    What was so good about it, nothing happened?

I have a feeling he is going to snap for real in a future episode.
    Stormfronts chat with A Train just shows what a nasty b!tch she is!

Interesting episode moving things on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Decent episode. They're building to a few confrontations.

I'm now thinking that
    Stormfront will turn out to be Homelander's mother which will make that love scene even more disturbing in future. I think the wording of Maeve's comment to Elena was a bit of foreshadowing from the writers: 'we're going to get that motherf*cker.' If Stormfront is seventy-odd then it's quite possible. Their powers seem quite similar and they've both had the all-American persona. Plus it plays into the issues we've seen Homelander have these past two seasons. Pretty sure this will be a big reveal late on. Just not sure if Stormfront know it or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Stormfront is a ride.

Well .. that was something alright! So many possible outcomes, my thinking;
    Stormfront and Homelander become the ultimate Villains and the Boys need help from the other heroes to take them down
    - but it's too obvious, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Hughie is pretty annoying now.

Laser my tits. Good grief. The last scene was out there. They're putting layers of personality around stormfront, which it makes all the darker I suppose.

Felt sorry for atrain, despite the fact he's a murderer. It's some show.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Hughie is pretty annoying now.

Laser my tits. Good grief. The last scene was out there. They're putting layers of personality around stormfront, which it makes all the darker I suppose.

Felt sorry for atrain, despite the fact he's a murderer. It's some show.

He's been annoying since S1 IMO, I just grin and bear him now, someone has to be the weak link I guess. As for the Stormfront thing, Mr. Homelander realised he couldn't just dispose of her as he thought up to now, hence why I think they will become some kind of nasty duo [can't beat her, join her] ... for now - he'll find a way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Advertisement