Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trivially Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anniversary of Beast from the East; why was it that people went crazy for Brennan's Bread? It's not even a very good bread. Bog standard doughy white sliced pan.

Because people are idiots. I knew the minute a few drops of snow fell I'd see "hilarious" bread jokes on social media. Well here's one for you, those got stale almost as soon as they happened the first time. Almost makes you wanna wreck a Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Trying to park the car in a snow covered train station. Impossible to see line markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Considering that ole doll means girlfriend in Cork, it's not something I'd be calling my mother :p cue Deliverance music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Man blinded in freak nipple related incident.

It was a booby trap :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Slept in. Late train to Dublin argh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

madmaggie wrote: »
    I put on the Robbie Williams programme on TG4 to sing along with the old songs, but he's turned into Daniel O'Donnell.

And still in the closet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I nicked myself shaving - hate that

Just realised between one thing and another I haven't driven my car since last Friday week and the brake discs are all rusty.

EDIT I also realised I've no cash on me, well maybe €5 in loose change, I don't need any really but I'm kinda old school and like something in the wallet other than plastic.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Anniversary of Beast from the East; why was it that people went crazy for Brennan's Bread? It's not even a very good bread. Bog standard doughy white sliced pan.

David McSavage did a podcast in which he described that bread as being made of bitterness and hate....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    People who can't cook, put petrol in a car, close a door, spell, swim, light a fire. Basically anyone who is mammied to within an inch of their life.

Mollycoddling is toxic, people really underestimate how much it messes you up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mom is used in Cork and has been for donkeys years .

Not on de Northside, biy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Mom is used in Cork and has been for donkeys years .

Has it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Beg to differ, had four slices of their Wholegrain product this am at approx 0645 and by 0730 I was on the bowl sluicing out a nice baton with minimum effort.

Their product does its job, as far as I can ascertain, no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Has it really?

My missus is from Cork and always says mom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ush1 wrote: »
    My missus is from Cork and always says mom.
    I hear Mom from Kerry ppl as well, interchangeably with Mam.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Today's trivial annoyance is brought to you by the patronising, sexist arse I had over to fix a problem in the apartment today. He briefly explained what the cause of the problem was and asked if I understood. I said I did and clearly meant it. He still explained it again, slower and with more elaborate hand gestures, practically drawing a picture and asked again if I understood. And again.

When I said yes again (and again) he said "oh you do, do you? Are you suuuure?" A prickish, patronising smirk spread over his face when he saw he was annoying me. I half expected him to pat me on the head and call me "Little Lady." There aren't enough rolling eyes emoji in the world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Today's trivial annoyance is brought to you by the patronising, sexist arse I had over to fix a problem in the apartment today. He briefly explained what the cause of the problem was and asked if I understood. I said I did and clearly meant it. He still explained it again, slower and with more elaborate hand gestures, practically drawing a picture and asked again if I understood. And again.

When I said yes again (and again) he said "oh you do, do you? Are you suuuure?" A prickish, patronising smirk spread over his face when he saw he was annoying me. I half expected him to pat me on the head and call me "Little Lady." There aren't enough rolling eyes emoji in the world.

A swift kick up the backside was what he needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The price of diesel rising :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Has it really?

Yea it has , my guess is it stems from the Irish word " mamai " or Mamó . They are pronounced Momaí / Momó so it seems to have come from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Yea it has , my guess is it stems from the Irish word " mamai " or Mamó . They are pronounced Momaí / Momó so it seems to have come from that

I've never heard anyone say "mom" in Cork. Mam or Mammy are the only way I ever recall hearing it pronounced.

I assumed the first post in relation to this was talking about the written version though, not the spoken version. No one this side of the Atlantic should ever write "Mom".

I've never heard anyone say "mom" in Cork. Mam or Mammy are the only way I ever recall hearing it pronounced.

I assumed the first post in relation to this was talking about the written version though, not the spoken version. No one this side of the Atlantic should ever write "Mom".

I only spoke of what I hear in west Cork as have other posters mentioned too . Maybe its a gaeltacht area use
    I have no idea why you have a problem with people who call their mother Mom also writting that as Mom ?
    My nieces from West Cork text me and mention their Mom . No clue as to why shouldn't ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in North cork most people here use the word mam. Some might use mammy at times.
    I have heard of people say me ma more so in the city.
    I remember I came across the word mom once. It was from a well respected family who were on the Cork/Kerry border.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I only spoke of what I hear in west Cork as have other posters mentioned too . Maybe its a gaeltacht area use
    I have no idea why you have a problem with people who call their mother Mom also writting that as Mom ?
    My nieces from West Cork text me and mention their Mom . No clue as to why shouldn't ?

Are you a Corkonian :-O ?

I use a variation of mam/mom/mammy :-D

Are you a Corkonian :-O ?

I use a variation of mam/mom/mammy :-D

No a true Dub ! But my dad was from Cork and we are there a lot and have family there !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because different things annoy different people. Even trivial things.

The Cork accent in general annoys me coz I had a very patronising uncle from Cork. So everytime I hear a west Cork lilt my shackles are raised.
    He did describe his mother as Mom though and he would be well into his 80s now.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Because different things annoy different people. Even trivial things.

The Cork accent in general annoys me coz I had a very patronising uncle from Cork. So everytime I hear a west Cork lilt my shackles are raised.
    He did describe his mother as Mom though and he would be well into his 80s now.

Thats true I suppose ! We all have our trivial annoyances ! I love the Cork accent but then again my uncles were all lovely !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Another Corkonian who says mom here, most of my friends from Cork say mom as well. Some say mam alright so it just depends.

No a true Dub

Awww :(

:pac:

Awww :(

:pac:

Have I just gone down in your estimation!!

😢

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Minding my littlest niece this evening and she has been asking for “blue on blue” for the last hour and I’ve no idea what she’s saying. I can’t text her mam as she’s in a meeting and my dancing isn’t working at distracting her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Take the surname Coughlan.
    It's pronounced different in different parts of Cork.
    Some people don't even relies it's the same surname.
    PS it doesn't annoy me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement