Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Ahsoka [Disney+]

Options
  • 07-04-2023 12:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The latest Disney+ show has arrived; as a self-confessed hater of the Jedi I'm like 🤷‍♂️ - going double for the fact I never watched the Clone Wars so TBH know nothing of Ahsoka herself.

Thrawn stepping from the old Expanded Universe into the "official" canon is interesting though - hope the show does him justice. Also of interest is Genevieve O'Reilly returning as Mon Mothma again. Is that the first proper crossover between Rogue One & Andor, and the rest of Disney Star Wars? (with the obvious exceptions of Darth Vader and other big hitters)

Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

as trailers go , this looks very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Thrawn has been a part of the official canon for a while now, seeing as he was in Rebels, which featured Ezra Bridger, Sabine Wren and Hera Syndulla, also seen in the trailer. It'll be interesting to see who plays Thrawn as he was voiced by Lars Mikkelsen in Rebels, and it'll be weird not hearing Vanessa Marshall as Hera.

Ahsoka was a fantastic character in The Clone Wars, and one of my favourite Star Wars characters ever. I was very pleased with her live action debut and subsequent appearances in The Mandalorian, so I'm very much looking forward to it. This, and Andor were my most anticipated Star Wars shows, and we got a banger with Andor, so let's hope this one will make it 2 out of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

One of those scenes looks like it's in the World Between Worlds from Rebels

Rebels/World between worlds spoiler.

Meaning there could be any amount of time travel stuff going on.

Rumour/connecting dots that more than likely aren't related.

Ray Stevenson the older bearded guy in that scene and who's tearing through a bunch of people in a hallway is actually a version of anakin.

On the other hand his name is shown in the subtitles even if it's not listed elsewhere so probably not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Enjoyed rebels and clone wars, looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh that looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Awesome. It'll be cool to finally see a Chiss in live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

All those rough and tough fighting ladies...

Maybe all the men were asleep ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Having never seen any of the animated Star Wars shows (apart from Tartakovskys Clone Wars), I wonder how lost I'm going to be with this one.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Disney dont care much for continuity, so likely wont be any issue there.. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A release date for this is finally confirmed: August 23rd. Complete with a TV spot promoting the date. I presume it'll be weekly much like many shows these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

New trailer, with a first proper look at Thrawn. I do wonder how friendly this will be for those coming to it, having not seem the cartoons; I can't be the only one!

Cos the nature of the apparent story suggests if it does placate newbies, it'll need a deft amount of exposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not getting too excited about this, as their form with the last few series haven't set the bar too high.

I think the Ashoka character is going to be massive. a couple of the next movies will be about her.

nothing provable, just in my head - but she's a fleshed out character in the animation series and they have a real lead with Rosario Dawson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Posted this in the Disney+ thread before I saw it had its own thread:

I see Ahsoka will be released a bit early. They decided to go with a US primetime slot instead of the usual 3AM EST launch.

So instead of this Wednesday, it will release Tuesday at 9 PM EST US time. And even though that would be 2 AM Wednesday morning, from what I see online articles say it will release at 1 AM on Wednesday morning.

And this will be the same each week.

They'll probably see how it does before deciding whether to do this with other big series like Loki.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only watched the first episode but I'm bored, like watching a 70's sci-fi show (the sets, clothing etc) with no story except needing a map to find someone (from the synopsis)

Very impressive opening episodes. It's well put together, from the solid acting, the cinematic direction and appealing visuals, and finally Kevin Kiner gets his chance to shine with a live action score. He doesn't disappoint, especially in the first episode. His work on the animated series has always been stellar. This has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Thought it was a very solid start. There is a massive story (continued from Rebels) and they just set it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As someone else said above you need to have watched the cartoons so maybe more for the hardcore fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭nachouser

It appears to require a lot of knowledge to follow it. I'll check back in when Amos from the Expanse shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Enjoyed that. Feels like a nice easy goodie-baddie story for new people to join into. Filoni even introducing backstory elements from Rebels without being pushey about it. I did think they did do some nice nods to the Rebels show though they also seem to be blending towards the gritier Andor feel in places.

I don't think that

Sabine is going to die. I even joked to myself that they'll "bring her bacta".

Oh, noticed David Tenant in the credits. Missed his involved until now .. or forgot.. not sure.

Kevin Kiner on score and definitely reminding me of It's Over Now in a few places.

Definitely had a relisten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apwww-r7jbo

Really liked the nod to Ray Winstone in the end credits.

Yea David Tenant is the voice of the robot.

Was that robot actually real and moving? if so, thats a lot of money on that alone as you couldn't a person in it.

Good solid start, the blonde Sith did a lot of staring.

I think Ahsoka, Ezra and Sabine will be a big part of Star wars in the next few years.

Really enjoyed the 2 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The first two episodes are fantastic.

At first I was irked by Sabine being a Force - how did it never show during REBELS and I know Force users can’t always tell each other from regular folks, but how did Kanan never sense it in all their years together. However it gets answered in episode 2 with the explanation that her Force connection is very very weak.

Is the scene where Sabine is looking at the painting and Ahsoka comes to pick her up the same scene from the REBELS finale?

Clancy Brown makes everything more awesome.

Love the live action versions of Hera, Sabine and Chopper (surprise he isn’t listed as himself in the main credits). Hopefully Zeb and Jacen show up soon. and the Ray Stevenson and his apprentice seem like very different Dark Side users than any we have seen before. He seems very calm and at peace and is genuinely regretful at the idea of having to kill Ahsoka and apprentice looks at everything with a wife-eyed curiosity that sometimes seems almost innocent.

I have a feeling that the confrontation between them and the heroes won’t be like previous Jedi vs Sith (although I think/hope that they are Dark Jedi, not Sith) - I think we are supposed to think the guy in the mask is is someone Ahsoka knows but I have a feeling it is just a red herring. I also think that Shin Hati will survive and maybe join Ahsoka.

Morgan Elsbeth is clearly human so it was a surprise to find out she is a Nightsister. They must have somehow encountered her and invited her to Dathomir to teach her.

Stevenson not Winstone.

;)

Good to have Kiner back and lived that use of Its Over Now.

I think LoYang and the LothCat are a mix of puppetry and CG - they looked very real but there was no obvious signs of puppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m guessing the series takes place right after the Ahsoka episode of Mandolorian season 2 because Ahsoka would have gone after the map immediately.

So this all happens prior and before the Mandolorian Christmas Special (known by some as an episode of Book of Boba Fett ;) ) and a long time prior to the retaking of Mandalore.

According to IMDB, Ray Stevenson is only in the show for 2 episodes, Gulp.....

So if neither myself nor my wife have watched the cartoon - how lost will we be?

you are introduced to the new characters fairly efficiently, so you will be up to speed without much trouble.

it's a good show though, Rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I never watched the cartoons either, but I watched both episodes last night. I wouldn't say lost, but it's abundantly clear that there is information missing regarding characters backstories and history with each other. Casual mention of big things that, if you didn't know about them from the cartoon (I've picked up a few general bits of info about the cartoons over the years), it could throw you a bit.

But they were decent episodes all the same and it's hard to know if some of these things will be further explained in later episodes. They have to know that a hell of a lot of the target audience won't have watched the cartoons and won't just go and watch 20 particular episodes to act as a catchup.

Perhaps they should have done a prelude to it. Package together the main points/clips from the cartoons maybe with a voiceover by Ahsoka between clips, where she goes over her history.

• Advertisement

Good to know; I'll take a look at it either way as "Stuff to watch" is a bit thin on the ground, but will ready myself for mild "huh?"

Advertisement