Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Finally re followed the thread after getting to watch the first two episodes. Its killer!!! My only issue with the series is the running time of the episodes. They are unusually short for a series like this. Ep2 runs for 27mins minus the ending credits. I wish they were that bit longer but for the episodes to be short and released weekly has me scratching the head.

Its a spaghetti western in space. I can even hear the Ennio Morricone influence on the score. So far so good, considering what we got.

So the reveal at the end of the first episode being openly talked about here isn’t a spoiler?
    For series that hasn’t been broadcast here yet?
    If I wandered in this thread and saw that I’d be pissed. Everyone else has used spoiler tags or talked carefully around it.
    No skin off my nose I wouldn’t be doing it. Just a bit inconsiderate is all I’m saying.

I have ti agree with this as it was spoiled for me in this thread. that's was I unfollowed it until I was up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I have ti agree with this as it was spoiled for me in this thread. that's was I unfollowed it until I was up to date.

Sorry it was spoiled.
    Delighted you liked it. Next week is gonna kick the balls off us.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: ** Spoilers ** added to thread title. This is a weekly show and will be treated like any other. The fact that Disney+ isn't in Europe yet is irrelevant. Come in here early at your own peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

My only issue with the series is the running time of the episodes. They are unusually short for a series like this. Ep2 runs for 27mins minus the ending credits. I wish they were that bit longer but for the episodes to be short and released weekly has me scratching the head.

I suppose the modern expectation is that a series with a certain amount of episodes should have a running time in the 45-60 minute region. The running time of the first episode bothered me in that regard, because I had certain expectations, and that they alluded to story beats that weren't expanded upon.

The second episode, on the other hand, was just right now that I wasn't expecting usual series episode running times. It didn't bother me in the slightest this time, and there was no wasted space, so to speak.

I love the artwork at the end of each episode, and was delighted to see Doug Chiang's name in the credits. His art design for the prequels was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Absolutely loved the first 2 eps

TBH I wasn’t expecting much, so it was a pleasant surprise

I also agree with the hashtag #yodababy trending - it obviously isn’t Yoda.

However... his species has never been disclosed (in official cannon anyway). It has been a rather gaping story hole in the SWU, so developing this is a stroke of genius IMHO

Finally...

It is bloody annoying that it’s not officially out here as I would quite happily pay for the privilege. I mean if there is any mass group that would know how to manoeuvre around the international restrictions then surely it would be the star wars demographic.

You’ve messed up house of mouse

Relikk wrote: »
    I suppose the modern expectation is that a series with a certain amount of episodes should have a running time in the 45-60 minute region. The running time of the first episode bothered me in that regard, because I had certain expectations, and that they alluded to story beats that weren't expanded upon.

The second episode, on the other hand, was just right now that I wasn't expecting usual series episode running times. It didn't bother me in the slightest this time, and there was no wasted space, so to speak.

I love the artwork at the end of each episode and was delighted to see Doug Chiang's name in the credits. His art design for the prequels was amazing.

Those expectations have been set in place and been met for some time now with most tv series. Its a welcomed accepted norm due to the demand for the material. The content we got in the running time was great but there could have been expanded dialogue or scenes

10 episodes with random running times below 40 min is disappointing when there is room for expansion without inserting nonsense. Considering the hype that surrounded this and the promo, not to mention it's in the star wars universe, this is really bugging me.

The art in the end credits is a nice touch and looks excellent. I watch until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mr E wrote: »
    Mod: ** Spoilers ** added to thread title. This is a weekly show and will be treated like any other. The fact that Disney+ isn't in Europe yet is irrelevant. Come in here early at your own peril.

Maybe could the thread title say US Pacing as it does for numerous show threads on here

If you liked the art at the end this guy is a great follow on Twitter creative art manager at lucasfilm and he authors the art of Star Wars books.

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

2nd episode was a big improvement for me. Gimme more

• Advertisement

If you liked the art at the end this guy is a great follow on Twitter creative art manager at lucasfilm and he authors the art of Star Wars books.

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak

Yeah, I have his art of the Force Awakens book, which includes a lot of Doug Chiang's amazing artwork. Disappointed I never got around to getting the Rogue One book. Love the concept art in that as well, especially the stuff on Jedha.

Yeah, I have his art of the Force Awakens book, which includes a lot of Doug Chiang's amazing artwork. Disappointed I never got around to getting the Rogue One book. Love the concept art in that as well, especially the stuff on Jedha.

That and the art of tlj book just so brilliant seeing all the blue sky concepts. You end up wishing they’d used most of the stuff in there. Don’t have the rogue one book either. Must track down. You might get it cheap on amazon?

Yeah, was just checking it there. £17.50 from Amazon themselves. Around £15+ from sellers.

Yeah, was just checking it there. £17.50 from Amazon themselves. Around £15+ from sellers.

Steal. They’re around €35 in the shops here if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Me: Watching the Mandalore turn their back and walk away,

Mandalore: "Not worth the fuel"

Me:
    EJdaIklXUAE7UVy?format=jpg&name=small

When 50 years old you reach, look as cute you will not

baby-yoda-the-mandalorian-1573645230.jpg?resize=480:*

Holy crap. Baby yoda was born the same year as Anakin. People now thinking he’s actually the chosen one. This from Master and apprentice the book about Qui Gon amd Obi Wan released this year. Maybe the prophesy was misread?

https://twitter.com/tatooinesons/status/1195890230777147392?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 16,920 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just finished the first episode & 2nd one is about to start. Very enjoyable. My only disappointment was that lack of any Star wars music.

Amazing.
    My pal lives in NYC. Hes seen loads of posters in the subway stations for the Mandalorian defaced with graffiti.

The best one said ‘grow the fvck up you losers!’

guy with a spray can ... doing graffiti telling anyone to grow up is just..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

At the end of E01, were the guys guarding "the package" good guys or bad guys, for want of a better way of putting it? What was their directive\motive like?

If we are not filled in on how "the package" got there in the first place, it will feel like sloppy storytelling to me.

Really enjoying it though. Love the bit where the baby was trying to heal him and he kept butting him\her back in the cot.

When is the next episode out?

edit: November 22, 2019

Then every week after that, so I think that's Saturday morning for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Varik wrote: »
    It really needs a species name.

I call for Muppetling

Wombatman wrote: »
    At the end of E01, were the guys guarding "the package" good guys or bad guys, for want of a better way of putting it? What was their directive\motive like?

If we are not filled in on how "the package" got there in the first place, it will feel like sloppy storytelling to me.

Really enjoying it though. Love the bit where the baby was trying to heal him and he kept butting him\her back in the cot.

Been wondering about that too. They’ve dropped an adorable time bomb into the canon. Where has it been all this time if it’s the same age as Anakin? How come the Jedi weren’t aware of it as they were all force sensitive kids who they’d take to become Jedi.
    How did that gang have him? We’re they tasked with protecting him? Or had they stolen him? From who or where?
    They obviously can’t kill it now. But the Star Wars story group have an entire team of story strategists mapping all this out across the films shows book and comics so I’m sure we’ll find all the answers out eventually. Hopefully within The show though.
    Season two is already filming too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is a great caveat and I am really enjoying it.

I think the
    baby Yoda species
    is a nice piece of writing.
    It is highly plausible that Yoda knew of the babies existence and was keeping the baby somewhere safe during dangerous times. It appears that "Yodalikes" live for possible a thousand years, Yoda was around 900 or so? Either way it is possible that these lifeforms have a tradition with being associated with the force. They may be protectors of it , there are touches of reincarnation there as well. They are probably a really unique lifeform and thus quite rare, almost an endangered species.Like a Panda for example.
    It is a really clever bit of writing and opens a lot of doors for the series.

I liked the bit of grit in the story as well.
    the fact that his transporter got stripped gave the spaceships in the show added authenticity, I liked this. It made them seem more genuine. They are not just plastic set models for FX, they are actually intergalactic space cruisers capable of reaching light speed, I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wombatman wrote: »

Think you're worrying a bit early regarding the storytelling. Clearly the former imperial guys knew about it and wanted it for a reason. Would be shocked if they never provide any further background.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yoda Clone.

Best one I’ve seen is TINY

(This is Not Yoda)

But it’s baffling how many people out there seem to think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

This thread is nearly becoming unbearable now time to unfollow for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yoda Clone.

Might be the case since the people looking for him seem to have links to Kaminoan cloning company.

Advertisement