Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Enjoying it so far.

I have spoken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Watching them both again.

It’s so much fun and pure Star Wars

Bring on obi wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Bring on obi wan.

I've always struggled to think of anything that could be the subject of an Obi-Wan movie or series. Up until the Rebels episode with Maul, we never got the impression from A New Hope that he ever left Tatooine or that there was any threat to him or Luke from outside forces, or even that he was just busy keeping an eye on Luke.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of McGregor's Obi-Wan, but if the events of the series don't feel natural in relation to the material that has come before it, it could be a problem.

One little thing about the latest Mandalorian episode I loved and forgot to mention,
    when he's in the canyon before the attack, you can see the reflection in his helmet of one of the Trandoshan's jumping across the upper level.
    Nice touch.

Relikk wrote: »
    I've always struggled to think of anything that could be the subject of an Obi-Wan movie or series. Up until the Rebels episode with Maul, we never got the impression from A New Hope that he ever left Tatooine or that there was any threat to him or Luke from outside forces, or even that he was just busy keeping an eye on Luke.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of McGregor's Obi-Wan, but if the events of the series don't feel natural in relation to the material that has come before it, it could be a problem.

One little thing about the latest Mandalorian episode I loved and forgot to mention,
    when he's in the canyon before the attack, you can see the reflection in his helmet of one of the Trandoshan's jumping across the upper level.
    Nice touch.

Well they have loads and loads of wiggle room with him. Vader doesn’t learn of Luke’s existence until afterwards so it’s not a concrete rule that Kenobi has to stay on planet. We could see inquisitions or maybe even ahsoka? Who knows.

Is that shot you mention is in the rebels episode where Ezra meets obi wan. Nearly indentical :)
    Filoni :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am I the only one who enjoyed the music?

Probably. :pac:

TBH, it sounds more like a 'Rocky' soundtrack than a 'Star Wars' one. It's really missing John Williams' touch.

• Advertisement

Do you think so? He’s clearly too old now to do it but I’d hate someone coming in trying to ape him. It’d never be as good. Although the music in rebels is great. Kevin keiner I think the lads name is.

People now thinking he’s actually the chosen one.

Jesus...does everyone in Star Wars have to be "the chosen one"?

Anakin, Yoda thing and Rey all contenders for that stupid title.

I do wish this "chosen one" thing would just go away. It's awful.

Do you think so?

Yeh. He has a certain touch. He's almost a character himself.
    He’s clearly too old now to do it but I’d hate someone coming in trying to ape him.

He's getting on alright, but yeh, someone aping him would be a bad idea. But, as far as the music in 'The Mandalorian' is concerned, it's just a bit off to my ears. Not a disaster. Just off.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh. He has a certain touch. He's almost a character himself.

He's getting on alright, but yeh, someone aping him would be a bad idea. But, as far as the music in 'The Mandalorian' is concerned, it's just a bit off to my ears. Not a disaster. Just off.

I found it overbearing in the first episode? Jarring even. But much much better in the second.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait, are people actually estimating this might be Yoda?

I really hope it's not Yoda. Clone or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Acosta

Second episode was class. The best thing Disney have done along with Rogue One since they bought Lucas Film.

Acosta wrote: »
    Second episode was class. The best thing Disney have done along with Rogue One since they bought Lucas Film.

And we’ve a Cassian series coming. And obi wan.
    Can’t wait to see what they do with Cassian. He was the best character in Rogue one.

Anyone else find it weird the Mandolrian wouldn't have heard of Yoda or the force ?

It's perfectly fine if you don't consider the prequels. In the original films, the Jedi are forgotten and the Force is a load of simple tricks and nonsense.

So, to me, as I don't even count those films as part of the story any more, it makes complete sense and backs up the original films ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Can’t wait to see what they do with Cassian. He was the best character in Rogue one.

His series should be more interesting, being a part of the rebellion during wartime. Raids, sabotage, assassinations. The ruthlessness and the "getting things done, no matter what" aspects of his character should make for intriguing viewing.

His series should be more interesting, being a part of the rebellion during wartime. Raids, sabotage, assassinations. The ruthlessness and the "getting things done, no matter what" aspects of his character should make for intriguing viewing.

Totally agree. That bit in rogue one when he kills the informant was just Yes. This is going to be cool. So much scope and room for that in the series.

And K2 is in the series too. Even better.
    And tony gilroy confirmed time be writing or directing

If indeed they go that way. Hopefully they do and they don't neuter him.

One of the things I liked about 'The Mandalorian' so far, is that he can be quick to kill. Loved how he killed a few Jawas for nicking his gear and didn't even stop to think about it.

"No disintegration"

"Sod that"

Just as an aside they nailed the jawas:) loved that whole sequence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I've always struggled to think of anything that could be the subject of an Obi-Wan movie or series.

Obi Wan's Tatooine, something along the lines of Terry Wogan's Ireland: "And over here we have another sand dune..."

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whenever I hear or read talk of an Obi Wan solo film/series all I think of this.

TightElegantBantamrooster-size_restricted.gif

Tony EH wrote: »
    If indeed they go that way. Hopefully they do and they don't neuter him.

One of the things I liked about 'The Mandalorian' so far, is that he can be quick to kill. Loved how he killed a few Jawas for nicking his gear and didn't even stop to think about it.

"No disintegration"

"Sod that"

Tony might be of interest to you. Kathleen Kennedy on hirings and firings. And what’s next

https://twitter.com/starwarsnewsnet/status/1196831407370375168?s=21

• Advertisement

I said this starting off. That baby ain’t the baby it’s letting on to be.

Yoda was training jedi at 100. Theyve either really really screwed up or the baby isn’t a baby at all and is playing the mando same way Yoda played Luke when he first meets him acting like a mischievous imp.

We’re gonna hear it speak and be all wise and ****.

Wait n see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 2 finally and, eh. Again, it's all right, nothing more and coasting on the fumes of the Mystery Bassinet.

I can see why it's 30 minutes because there's F all story here. It's a handsome show with its budget right there on the screen, for sure; but if I'm being honest ... ... I was a little bored.

The baby's all kinds of cute but I'm impatient for these characters we haven't met yet (like Ming Na When's) to hopefully flesh out the story. I'm hoping that not every character is this transient.

Episode 2 finally and, eh. Again, it's all right, nothing more and coasting on the fumes of the Mystery Bassinet.

I can see why it's 30 minutes because there's F all story here. It's a handsome show with its budget right there on the screen, for sure; but if I'm being honest ... ... I was a little bored.

The baby's all kinds of cute but I'm impatient for these characters we haven't met yet (like Ming Na When's) to hopefully flesh out the story. I'm hoping that not every character is this transient.

Very early days. The characters to come will have a huge impact.

The real argument is is this meant to be amazing all on its own or is it just a launchpad into other things and provide connective tissue for things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Ehhhhh what?

All those kids are clones.

The doctor. We don’t know. But he’s connected to those that make clones

Sorry I didn't mean to be so literal. I meant the doctor since he was wearing the clone logo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I want to see this made

5y0ipjk0yqz31.png

Think we’d all buy that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very early days. The characters to come will have a huge impact.

The real argument is is this meant to be amazing all on its own or is it just a launchpad into other things and provide connective tissue for things to come.

Meh, I don't buy into this "connective tissue" idea: a show, film, or book should be able to stand on its own two feet without a bunch of asterisks beside it (the old "oh if you read the tie-in novel" excuse), or used as some gateway drug. Frankly if this is all just some dawdling prologue for other shows I'm pulling the rip-cord early on, and won't feel bad about it either given my time will have been completely wasted.

I wasn't expecting miracles from this show, and it'd be daft to over-analyse two episodes barely longer than a sitcom, but so far I'm deeply underwhelmed. It's so threadbare it's almost experimental, but there are better SciFi shows out there, albeit with a fraction of the money.

How many episodes are planned for this anyway, so I can get a sense of how much of a journey there is to be?

Meh, I don't buy into this "connective tissue" idea: a show, film, or book should be able to stand on its own two feet without a bunch of asterisks beside it (the old "oh if you read the tie-in novel" excuse), or used as some gateway drug. Frankly if this is all just some dawdling prologue for other shows I'm pulling the rip-cord early on, and won't feel bad about it either given my time will have been completely wasted.

I wasn't expecting miracles from this show, and it'd be daft to over-analyse two episodes barely longer than a sitcom, but so far I'm deeply underwhelmed. It's so threadbare it's almost experimental, but there are better SciFi shows out there, albeit with a fraction of the money.

How many episodes are planned for this anyway, so I can get a sense of how much of a journey there is to be?

Think it’s 8? The final episode is the week after the film hits the cinema. So people are looking at that as the connect point. Somehow.

Second season is already filming but not sure when that’ll air. Maybe same time next year?

• Advertisement

Jesus, 8 episode and we're already a quarter through? Yeah this is going to need to seriously shift gears if it's going to come across as anything other than an expensive web-series.

Honestly, if people are staring at Mando's tea leaves, trying to divine some higher or more complicated purpose, it sounds to me like they also share frustration at the show's vaporous form & are trying to insert meaning where none exists.

Advertisement