Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

It works when money is given away. The money could be spent elsewhere surely but, as I said, SW recipients plough more cash back into the economy and more quickly than doing things like infrastructure builds or tax reductions.

Other spends would have a multiplier but at a lower rate.

The foreigners take the bonus back to their own country, they don’t put a cent into the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There's a pub in the town I live - I won't say it's real name but we call it the Dole Hole - it's jammed to the rafters every Thursday with healthy, fit, able-bodied men (and the odd rough looking woman). I don't go in there but they have benches and tables out the front as a quasi-smoking area.

In every second shop and restaurant in town there are help-wanted notices.

As someone who regularly interviews people to work in catering and service industry jobs why would I want the people you describe working in one of my businesses?

You have a very low opinion of those people but yet you think they would be suitable to work in places around your town, would you be happy to be served by them? Its sound like you would not, so how do you believe that they would suddenly walk into a job?

You are not being consistent in your argument except for the contempt you have for your fellow townspeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Jimmy. wrote:
    The foreigners take the bonus back to their own country, they don’t put a cent into the economy.

Tax on airfare/ ferry ticket. Back into the coffers. Plus the price of the fare helps keeps someone in employment ,more tax. ;-)

Jimmy. wrote: »

Do they eat in Ireland or get all their food shipped over?

Nobody on the dole should get any bonus. Manage your money over the year and you'll get by.

Sure the dole went up 20 quid a month this year if I'm not mistaken

Save that and that'll go a long way at Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Odhinn wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'll make it easy for you, I'm a carer and I'll be getting the bonus. Aim your hate my way. I can take it.

....a worse shower than do-gooders.
    That's it Odhinn. Let it out. Let it all out. Feeling better yet? Now hand over your tax. Come on now. Give it to me. Thaaat's right.

Mwhahahahahaha

Nobody on the dole should get any bonus. Manage your money over the year and you'll get by.

Sure the dole went up 20 quid a month this year if I'm not mistaken

Save that and that'll go a long way at Xmas.
    You are mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You are mistaken.

Just out of curiosity; how much money in deductions (percentage wise) is taken out of your take-home pay?

Kivaro wrote: »
    You are mistaken.

Just out of curiosity; how much money in deductions (percentage wise) is taken out of your take-home pay?
    I am a full time carer to a man with dementia. How many times did you have to get out of bed last night and guide a confused and agitated adult back to bed? How often do you have to try and settle an adult at 3 am who has urinated on the floor and then stripped all the bedding off his bed to mop it up?
    I will NOT start defending my €204 a week to you are anyone else, especially when you can't acknowledge your mistake but try to make me feel like crap because apparently I don't "work" and you feel justified in taking the moral high ground because you pay paye.

I've worked and contributed. I also paid for my own degree and masters without any form of government assistance while funding the education of others. So you can just fug right off!

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Tax on airfare/ ferry ticket. Back into the coffers. Plus the price of the fare helps keeps someone in employment ,more tax. ;-)

They transfer the money, they don’t take a flight and have to carry the cash with them. Wake up here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

mordeith wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread but surely the sensible thing is to ban Christmas there eliminating the need for a bonus.

Are you mad? Sure isn't the whole point of christmas the hate and begrudgery towards others.

Sardonicat wrote:
    I am a full time carer to a man with dementia. How many times did you have to get out of bed last night and guide a confused and agitated adult back to bed? How often do you have to try and settle an adult at 3 am who has urinated on the floor and then stripped all the bedding off his bed to mop it up? I will NOT start defending my €204 a week to you are anyone else, especially when you can't acknowledge your mistake but try to make me feel like crap because apparently I don't "work" and you feel justified in taking the moral high ground because you pay paye.

You have nothing to defend , you save the state a fortune yet some are too stupid to realise this.
    I cannot imagine how tough life is on you, the person you care for is lucky someone loves them enough to care for their every need. Pardon my language but f**k the begrudgers. Take care of yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am a full time carer to a man with dementia. How many times did you have to get out of bed last night and guide a confused and agitated adult back to bed? How often do you have to try and settle an adult at 3 am who has urinated on the floor and then stripped all the bedding off his bed to mop it up?
    I will NOT start defending my €204 a week to you are anyone else, especially when you can't acknowledge your mistake but try to make me feel like crap because apparently I don't "work" and you feel justified in taking the moral high ground because you pay paye.

I've worked and contributed. I also paid for my own degree and masters without any form of government assistance while funding the education of others. So you can just fug right off!

Don't feel anger toward fools its not worth it . You don't have to justify yourself to anyone . I hope you get respite occasionally and some kindness from others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There are plenty of people on the dole who would never be offered a job by any employer because they just don't have the capacity to either get or keep a job, that is just the truth.

We can either keep them on a modest dole with a small Christmas bonus or just throw them under the bus.

A few extra quid gets spent generally in the local economy and benefits wider society. It not like it gets squirreled away in some off shore account.

Attacking people down on their luck and at the bottom of the heap is really a bit sad.

Or have them do something locally to earn their keep. Cleaning litter, removing graffiti, maintaining the estates they live on etc. Things that local councils don’t have the resources to do. Have their payment linked to this. Say from 8am to 1pm three days a week.

Would see a massive improvement in some estates, would give people pride in their surroundings and would perhaps make them pass on that pride to their kids instead of letting them run feral about the place if they had to clean up after them.

BBFAN wrote: »
    You see there's a huge hole in your theory here.

I've been unemployed for periods and applied for low paid jobs, won't even get an interview if people think you're over qualified, too old etc. etc.

I'm working again now in an office but would love to work in a local shop for minimum pay, less stress, more sociable. You just won't get those types of jobs after a certain age and with qualifications.

Or you could do what smart people do, and alter your CV to the role you are applying for. It’s not rocket science.

Jimmy. wrote:
    They transfer the money, they don’t take a flight and have to carry the cash with them. Wake up here

Unless they can levitate they need to make there way to a port or airport at cost to themselves thereby giving the state tax. We are an island genius it costs money to get to foreign lands. It costs money. Wide awake, but you need to cop on with the bs.

Unless they can levitate they need to make there way to a port or airport at cost to themselves thereby giving the state tax. We are an island genius it costs money to get to foreign lands. It costs money. Wide awake, but you need to cop on with the bs.

How much does a bank transfer of say €100 to a polish bank account cost wise guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Or have them do something locally to earn their keep. Cleaning litter, removing graffiti, maintaining the estates they live on etc. Things that local councils don’t have the resources to do. Have their payment linked to this. Say from 8am to 1pm three days a week.

Would see a massive improvement in some estates, would give people pride in their surroundings and would perhaps make them pass on that pride to their kids instead of letting them run feral about the place if they had to clean up after them.

Something like a CE Scheme?

Jimmy. wrote:
    How much does a bank transfer of say €100 to a polish bank account cost wise guy?

You're the wise guy that claims they take the money with them. I'm not indulging your nonsense further . I'm annoyed I let it go this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So these poles, they don't celebrate christmas? Or eat, buy clothes, buy presents.......

• Advertisement

Why would someone need to go to the port or airport to do an international bank transfer??

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    Something like a CE Scheme?

Or Tuas Nua, several on the scheme where I live.

Yes, but mandatory and consistently ongoing after x amount of time (say 1 year) on the dole and with deductions to your payments if you don’t turn up, don’t work or are consistently late/leaving early.

You're the wise guy that claims they take the money with them. I'm not indulging your nonsense further . I'm annoyed I let it go this far.

Your posts have been making no sense. Barging in with waffle hit man hit failure.

Why would someone need to go to the port or airport to do an international bank transfer??

I suggest you read post #243. My replies were in response to that nonsense. If you want to carry their nonsense on be my guest but I'm not replying.

In an idea world yes but we are not living in one.

Who would organize these work gangs that you propose?

Where would the money come from to get equipment for these gangs if the council have none?

Who would give them their health and safety training and how much would it cost?

Who would organize their schedules and who would be there to make sure they put in the hours and do their job properly.

I think you make the mistake of thinking that the government cares about the places that are socially deprived in Ireland or as you call them "estates".
    I was in the past on social welfare and its not nice. I would hate to be depending on the likes of Leo Varadkar to look after me if I was on welfare because he does not know or care about people who are in the unlucky position of depending on the government for a helping hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Or you could do what smart people do, and alter your CV to the role you are applying for. It’s not rocket science.

Okay genius, how do you alter 20 years experience? Pretend you were working in shops and restaurants or say you were unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Your posts have been making no sense. Barging in with waffle hit man hit failure.

Can I ask you how you know what people ( foreign or not ) do with their bonus ? Is there a website that tells you what each individual does with their bonus ? Or have you simply passed your speculation as fact ? I don't remember being asked what I do with mine at any stage nor does my " foreign " friend . I could fill you in if I wished but I don't care to

BBFAN wrote: »
    Okay genius, how do you alter 20 years experience? Pretend you were working in shops and restaurants or say you were unemployed?

It’s really not that difficult. If you can’t figure it out maybe working in a minimum wage retail job is too much of a reach for you.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can I ask you how you know what people ( foreign or not ) do with their bonus ? Is there a website that tells you what each individual does with their bonus ? Or have you simply passed your speculation as fact ? I don't remember being asked what I do with mine at any stage nor does my " foreign " friend . I could fill you in if I wished but I don't care to

They were last employees, they told me themselves. They were living on cents here and sending it back home. Is everyone very naive here all of a sudden or have we hit a nerve.

Advertisement