Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

any rebuttal?

DEBATE ME BRO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Where doe the 90% figure come from?

I'm going to guess - his arse?

There's a pub in the town I live - I won't say it's real name but we call it the Dole Hole - it's jammed to the rafters every Thursday with healthy, fit, able-bodied men (and the odd rough looking woman). I don't go in there but they have benches and tables out the front as a quasi-smoking area.

In every second shop and restaurant in town there are help-wanted notices.

I went to school with some of these lads. It doesn't pay these guys to give up the social welfare and all the benefits, supplements and perks that come with it for a menial low-pay job - thems the facts. They honestly think your mad to be getting up at 6.30am, busting your arse working and paying half your income back in taxes - maybe they're right.

One things for sure - I don't know the percentages but it's waaaaaaaaay more than 10% that are up to this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Presumably you read 1 article from 1 source yesterday morning then cut yourself off from all media since?

The government denied the bonus was cancelled well before this thread even started.

All my grandparents are dead anyway.

The government call themeslves
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Fine Gael. Sinn Féin and [/COLOR]
    Fianna Fáil were names given to fin mcool irish hero and these parties are not heroes, its ruines the names of parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I went to school with some of these lads. It doesn't pay these guys to give up the social welfare and all the benefits, supplements and perks that come with it for a menial low-pay job - thems the facts. They honestly think your mad to be getting up at 6.30am, busting your arse working and paying half your income back in taxes - maybe they're right.
    You don't pay half your income in tax. The first 35k is at 20 per cent less your tax credits. The rest is at 40per cent.
    One things for sure - I don't know the percentages but it's waaaaaaaaay more than 10% that are up to this craic.

You couldn't even get your tax rate right so the odds of being right on something that doesn't effect you is suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Late to the thread - who is it I should be hating and why ?(if there is a why)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There's a christmas bonus for people on the dole? How much?

Tree fiddy ...

Everyone who gets help off the state, to include those that get an extra 85 per cent of their payment at Christmas .

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Everyone who gets help off the state, to include those that get an extra 85 per cent of your payment at Christmas .

Deadly. I was worried I'd have to choose who to hate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Odhinn wrote: »
    Late to the thread - who is it I should be hating and why ?(if there is a why)

Cyclists I think. Sometimes it's hard to keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Grayson wrote: »
    Cyclists I think. Sometimes it's hard to keep track.
    at least cyclists don't breed like rabbits due to destroying their vas deferens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

These are the Live Register figures for August and the Activation Programs figures for July. I won't believe any conspiracy theorists who say they are false, unless they can disprove them. In any case 48,500 people on back to education and make work schemes is a small percentage of the potential work force of well over two million.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisteraugust2018/

Every effort is being made to get long term unemployed people into the work force or on a program. Including financial incentives for employers. But even those who refuse are playing a very important role in the economy. They are spending all the money they are given, and if it is in pubs and bookies, that is providing employment for others. There are also many people in jobs, recording their numbers, preparing and paying out their money, and trying to get them off the dole.

Every effort is being made to get long term unemployed people into the work force or on a program. Including financial incentives for employers. But even those who refuse are playing a very important role in the economy. They are spending all the money they are given, and if it is in pubs and bookies, that is providing employment for others. There are also many people in jobs, recording their numbers, preparing and paying out their money, and trying to get them off the dole.

Population of 4.8 million, long term unemployed 92,000. Somehow the constant whinging and blame attributed to this group seems ott.
    Correct on the multiplier effect btw .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There are plenty of people on the dole who would never be offered a job by any employer because they just don't have the capacity to either get or keep a job, that is just the truth.

We can either keep them on a modest dole with a small Christmas bonus or just throw them under the bus.

A few extra quid gets spent generally in the local economy and benefits wider society. It not like it gets squirreled away in some off shore account.

Attacking people down on their luck and at the bottom of the heap is really a bit sad.

at least cyclists don't breed like rabbits due to destroying their vas deferens

Not only do they over-breed, they've cross bred with foriegners to produce rickshaw drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Odhinn wrote: »
    Everyone who gets help off the state, to include those that get an extra 85 per cent of your payment at Christmas .

Deadly. I was worried I'd have to choose who to hate there.
    I'll make it easy for you, I'm a carer and I'll be getting the bonus. Aim your hate my way. I can take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'll make it easy for you, I'm a carer and I'll be getting the bonus. Aim your hate my way. I can take it.

Me too ! i am a pensioner and can take it too no bother ! @hatemetoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

iamwhoiam wrote: »

TO THE GLUE FACTORY, OLDIE :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I'm going to guess - his arse?

There's a pub in the town I live - I won't say it's real name but we call it the Dole Hole - it's jammed to the rafters every Thursday with healthy, fit, able-bodied men (and the odd rough looking woman). I don't go in there but they have benches and tables out the front as a quasi-smoking area.

In every second shop and restaurant in town there are help-wanted notices.

You see there's a huge hole in your theory here.

I've been unemployed for periods and applied for low paid jobs, won't even get an interview if people think you're over qualified, too old etc. etc.

I'm working again now in an office but would love to work in a local shop for minimum pay, less stress, more sociable. You just won't get those types of jobs after a certain age and with qualifications.

Not before I grab me bonus

We should start a thread detailing what we intend to squander it on. It would be somewhere for the "hardworking Irish taxpayer" to come and get riled up and hence vent their spleen. An act of catharsis for the greater psychological good.

• Advertisement

Im spending mine on glue.

....a worse shower than do-gooders.

iamwhoiam wrote:

At least you have the FTP to get you there..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Giving money to individuals who will spend it creates more income for the economy. SW recipients are known to spend a higher % of their income directly in the local economy.

Even assuming they only spend 90% the multiplier will be

1/1-0.9
    = 1/.1

= 10

which means that every €1 of new income generates €10 of extra income in the national economy.

It's a more efficient means of generating activity in the economy than capital expenditure or tax reductions.

I don't necessarily agree with the open ended 'bonus' but your point was flawed.

Thanks - two more questions:

Does that work when the money is given away for nothing? I get if someone get's a raise and spends more, but just gifting money to someone from the tax coffers?

That £25m was going to be spent somewhere anyway - so wouldn't that have a multiplier effect?

Sardonicat wrote:
    We should start a thread detailing what we intend to squander it on. It would be somewhere for the "hardworking Irish taxpayer" to come and get riled up and hence vent their spleen. An act of catharsis for the greater psychological good.

It's ok the Cash thread is still open, plenty of spleen venting going on there. It's almost like they are attempting to say the vilest thing they can but stay on the right side of a ban.

At least you have the FTP to get you there..... ;-)

I will make sure not to use it when the Outraged need to get to work

Shhh! Don't send the oldies to the glue factory yet. Because if me auld fella's boiled down I won't be able to claim Carers (rob the taxpayer) and sit on me hole all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The question is, how did the pensioners survive in the wilderness years when there was no bonus. I think that was for about 5 years, but I'm sure it is seared into the brains of those who came through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Haven't read the whole thread but surely the sensible thing is to ban Christmas there eliminating the need for a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Naos wrote: »
    Thanks - two more questions:

Does that work when the money is given away for nothing? I get if someone get's a raise and spends more, but just gifting money to someone from the tax coffers?

That £25m was going to be spent somewhere anyway - so wouldn't that have a multiplier effect?

It works when money is given away. The money could be spent elsewhere surely but, as I said, SW recipients plough more cash back into the economy and more quickly than doing things like infrastructure builds or tax reductions.

Other spends would have a multiplier but at a lower rate.

Advertisement