Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No social welfare bonus this year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I also disagree for scrapping it for elderly pensioners. Someone in their 80's on just the state pension has no opportunity to gain a little extra cash to help out at Xmas.

Many of us working now will be in the same position in years to come.

There are 700000 recipients of the state pension (ish).

How many of them fall under the category you've outlined above?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jimmy. wrote: »
    They were last employees, they told me themselves. They were living on cents here and sending it back home. Is everyone very naive here all of a sudden or have we hit a nerve.

Ah right so not " every " foreign person then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It’s really not that difficult. If you can’t figure it out maybe working in a minimum wage retail job is too much of a reach for you.

Lovely yeah, I currently earn at least 3 times that thank you for your concern all the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ah right so not " every " foreign person then

Where have I said ‘every’ foreign person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It’s really not that difficult. If you can’t figure it out maybe working in a minimum wage retail job is too much of a reach for you.

Why do you feel the need to insult randomers on the internet btw?

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    Lovely yeah, I currently earn at least 3 times that thank you for your concern all the same.

Wow.

How do you feel so slighted to tell the Internet your salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I am a full time carer to a man with dementia. How many times did you have to get out of bed last night and guide a confused and agitated adult back to bed? How often do you have to try and settle an adult at 3 am who has urinated on the floor and then stripped all the bedding off his bed to mop it up?
    I will NOT start defending my €204 a week to you are anyone else, especially when you can't acknowledge your mistake but try to make me feel like crap because apparently I don't "work" and you feel justified in taking the moral high ground because you pay paye.

I've worked and contributed. I also paid for my own degree and masters without any form of government assistance while funding the education of others. So you can just fug right off!

Notwithstanding my own experiences of being a carer at one point in my life, I mentioned it elsewhere a number of times that carers are undervalued and under-payed. One suggestion that I had was that for any money saved in getting people off the dole and for other social welfare savings; that money should be allocated to carers.

But what's with the mocking of Irish tax payers? I don't understand it. You cannot say that it was just sarcasm; it's something more than that.
    That's it Odhinn. Let it out. Let it all out. Feeling better yet? Now hand over your tax. Come on now. Give it to me. Thaaat's right.

Mwhahahahahaha

And another one:
    We should start a thread detailing what we intend to squander it on. It would be somewhere for the "hardworking Irish taxpayer" to come and get riled up and hence vent their spleen. An act of catharsis for the greater psychological good.

Where have I said ‘every’ foreign person?
    The foreigners take the bonus back to their own country, they don’t put a cent into the economy.

Well I don't see " some " in this post

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well I don't see " some " in this post

I don’t see ‘every’. Stop saying something I am not.

I don’t see ‘every’. Stop saying something I am not.

If you use " the foreigners " in a sentance it usually wouldn't be interpreted as " the few I know "

But whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They were last employees, they told me themselves. They were living on cents here and sending it back home..........

You think we're a soft touch and they're laughing at us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Odhinn wrote: »
    You think we're a soft touch and they're laughing at us?

Wouldn’t bother me one though what people do with their money once they worked for it and earned it. If they were employees weren’t they working and earning their keep?same for carers people on disability pensioners and people under 6 months on the dole as I said in earlier posts.
    It’s the long term leeches I have a problem with

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ive just jumped from the first page to here, but this christmas bonus, gives out the wrong message and is beyond a joke. There are endless areas that require the money far more and the fact low earners are being taxed HALF F**CKING HALF their income over E34,800 is scandalous! E600 DCC Christmas trees, 500,000 each for a new 60 apartment social housing redevelopment scheme in Dublin.

This agreement with FF is now beyond a joke, 2/3 spending, 1/3 tax decrease. Thee budgets these departments have is outrageous and its the f**cking appalling procurement processes and value for money they get that is issue number one. If all the tax is going to be pissed up against a wall, stuff your "improved services" LOL!

USC should be abolished, as was planned. If huge sums of money gets wasted or goes to those not paying into the pot and who never have, enough is enough. They talk about the redistribution of wealth, redistributed from the working have nots, to the workshy have nots and one percent up the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Kivaro wrote: »
    I am a full time carer to a man with dementia. How many times did you have to get out of bed last night and guide a confused and agitated adult back to bed? How often do you have to try and settle an adult at 3 am who has urinated on the floor and then stripped all the bedding off his bed to mop it up?
    I will NOT start defending my €204 a week to you are anyone else, especially when you can't acknowledge your mistake but try to make me feel like crap because apparently I don't "work" and you feel justified in taking the moral high ground because you pay paye.

I've worked and contributed. I also paid for my own degree and masters without any form of government assistance while funding the education of others. So you can just fug right off!

Notwithstanding my own experiences of being a carer at one point in my life, I mentioned it elsewhere a number of times that carers are undervalued and under-payed. One suggestion that I had was that for any money saved in getting people off the dole and for other social welfare savings; that money should be allocated to carers.

But what's with the mocking of Irish tax payers? I don't understand it. You cannot say that it was just sarcasm; it's something more than that.
    That's it Odhinn. Let it out. Let it all out. Feeling better yet? Now hand over your tax. Come on now. Give it to me. Thaaat's right.

Mwhahahahahaha

And another one:
    We should start a thread detailing what we intend to squander it on. It would be somewhere for the "hardworking Irish taxpayer" to come and get riled up and hence vent their spleen. An act of catharsis for the greater psychological good.
    The first quote is me responding in jest to odhinn who had responded in jest to my being a carer. You see, I can tell the difference between mocking and jest and so can Odhinn.

The second post was in response to iamwhoiam with his joke #@hatemetoo.

I find joking helps ease the tension and downright depression that these welfare bashing threads induce.

Why would I mock taxpayers when I have paid plenty of tax myself and hopefully will be one again?

Lastly, how can you have the utter gall to sanctimoniously question me about wage stoppages if you have been a carer yourself? Seriously?

Oh, BTW I don't want more money or even a fecking Xmas bonus. I'd much rather that money was spent on improving services like at home respite. But that's not going to happen is it? I'll get my bonus and my respite grant which I can't use cos he won't go and ignorant people looking for someone to blame will continue to gripe and I'll still be stuck here watching my life slide by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Lastly, how can you have the utter gall to sanctimoniously question me about wage stoppages if you have been a carer yourself? Seriously?
    Do you expect everyone to know that you are a carer? Or to read every post of a sizeable thread beforehand.
    I saw you making snide remarks about tax payers. But you say it was jest. Grand.
    Oh, BTW I don't want more money or even a fecking Xmas bonus. I'd much rather that money was spent on improving services like at home respite.
    Totally agree with you. We could only get 1 hour per week for home respite. It was useless to us.

You call threads like these as welfare bashing.
    I would say that 99.99% of posters who comment negatively on social welfare threads have a certain type of welfare recipient in mind. And that's the man/woman who can work but won't, and treats social welfare as a lifestyle.
    I can assure you that we are not talking about carers, people on disability, pensioners, and other deserving members of our community.

But you have posters who are fully aware of this, but they still mock, deride, and ridicule the people who are paying into the system that allows the welfare system to exist in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Kivaro wrote: »
    Do you expect everyone to know that you are a carer? Or to read every post of a sizeable thread beforehand.
    I saw you making snide remarks about tax payers. But you say it was jest. Grand.

Totally agree with you. We could only get 1 hour per week for home respite. It was useless to us.

You call threads like these as welfare bashing.
    I would say that 99.99% of posters who comment negatively on social welfare threads have a certain type of welfare recipient in mind. And that's the man/woman who can work but won't, and treats social welfare as a lifestyle.
    I can assure you that we are not talking about carers, people on disability, pensioners, and other deserving members of our community.

But you have posters who are fully aware of this, but they still mock, deride, and ridicule the people who are paying into the system that allows the welfare system to exist in the first place.

We don't judge you, don't fret.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We can either keep them on a modest dole with a small Christmas bonus or just throw them under the bus.

Is this going to a vote?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I'm usually in the camp that we should be harder on people who use the dole as a lifestyle choice, but I've never really had a problem with the Christmas bonus to be honest. Tis the season and all that - anyway, it's good for retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I'm usually in the camp that we should be harder on people who use the dole as a lifestyle choice, but I've never really had a problem with the Christmas bonus to be honest. Tis the season and all that - anyway, it's good for retailers.

Have you any pups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is this going to a vote?

We get a vote , no party has proposed harsh cuts to social welfare lately so I suppose they dont see any votes to by gained by following that line, much as many in FG would love to slash and burn in SW land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Stephen Hawking isn't Irish and he earns too much money so he cant get social welfare because he earns too much money for social welfare to work and he died last march

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ive just jumped from the first page to here, but this christmas bonus, gives out the wrong message and is beyond a joke. There are endless areas that require the money far more and the fact low earners are being taxed HALF F**CKING HALF their income over E34,800 is scandalous! E600 DCC Christmas trees, 500,000 each for a new 60 apartment social housing redevelopment scheme in Dublin.

This agreement with FF is now beyond a joke, 2/3 spending, 1/3 tax decrease. Thee budgets these departments have is outrageous and its the f**cking appalling procurement processes and value for money they get that is issue number one. If all the tax is going to be pissed up against a wall, stuff your "improved services" LOL!

USC should be abolished, as was planned. If huge sums of money gets wasted or goes to those not paying into the pot and who never have, enough is enough. They talk about the redistribution of wealth, redistributed from the working have nots, to the workshy have nots and one percent up the top!

My god, alot of drivel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree that the money would be better spent on the working and middle class who pulled this country out of recession.
    Also, there's a whole spectrum of people receiving social welfare. Some deserve an Xmas bonus, some don't.
    I also genuinely dont think anyone is happier on the dole long term, it's a ****ty existence

The call outs today we called to seemed happy out on long term dole. One fellas biggest complaint bar the broken shower we replaced was that the council wouldn’t pay to install fiber for his new tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if it's so good for the economy why don't we increase social welfare payments massively?

if it's so good for the economy why don't we increase social welfare payments massively?

Who ever told you that hasn’t a clue.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Smertrius wrote: »
    no xmas presents this year from your grandparents because they won't being getting xmas bonus

well the pensioners won't being getting xmas bonus this year too according irish mirror

Willie o dea will make it a condition of FF support for the budget, government like to under promise and over deliver around budget time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I’m happy for my taxes to go for a Christmas bonus for welfare recipients.

If folk on here think that being on social welfare is so great then why not give up your job and go on the scratcher as a career move?

By and large those who will be receiving this extra payment will need it and be grateful for it. Generally it’s spent in local shops providing a boost far beyond just the recipient of the extra money.

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Who ever told you that hasn’t a clue.

Are you saying that dole payments don't go back into the economy? Where do they go then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

If payments were increased "massively" then some of it would be saved and not used in the economy., that's why.

Advertisement