Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

grbear wrote: »
    So in summary.

-Ladies football team unbeaten streak ended by Dublin

-Mens football team s*** themselves when they are within touching distance of a league final and Mayo make the final instead

-Hurlers stink the place out against Waterford and Canning gets hurt

If it wasn't Lent I'd be hitting the porter.

pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Losses happen but it's sickening when you see two teams on the same afternoon down the tools for such long periods of second halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sean Andy's had that coming a while. Always been lax with his fist passing. The wake up call he needs hopefully

He was atrociously bad today. At fault for all 3 goals to differing extents.

Twice let McShane get in behind him to fetch long high balls in and then the calamity of the hand pass to Lavelle.

He got away with one similar against Dublin.

Needs to concentrate on marking more and less on charging like a bull up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭threeball

He was atrociously bad today. At fault for all 3 goals to differing extents.

Twice let McShane get in behind him to fetch long high balls in and then the calamity of the hand pass to Lavelle.

He got away with one similar against Dublin.

Needs to concentrate on marking more and less on charging like a bull up the field.

The only argument to that would be He probably wouldn't have to charge up if both wing backs did their job and did charge up. O Donnell is not mobile enough to play wing back and Bradshaw too slow to play wing back too.

threeball wrote: »
    The only argument to that would be He probably wouldn't have to charge up if both wing backs did their job and did charge up. O Donnell is not mobile enough to play wing back and Bradshaw too slow to play wing back too.

True but doesn't excuse letting your man get in behind you not once but twice on high balls. That is bread and butter stuff for a full back.

• Advertisement

True but doesn't excuse letting your man get in behind you not once but twice on high balls. That is bread and butter stuff for a full back.

Not excusing him at all. He was caught badly for the 2 key goals although the first was never a penalty.

Not excusing him at all. He was caught badly for the 2 key goals although the first was never a penalty.

Yeah very minimal contact alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Joseph Cooney has transferred to Michael Cusacks in Australia.

Big loss. He was a good target on the wing and a great option from half back. So only really Daithi, johnny glynn and david burke to return that you would hope to add anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭macslash

That's a pity, but you can't blame him for taking the opportunity. Hopefully he comes back in the next year or two.

I'd add Conor Cooney to your return list. I know he's in poor form but he's an experienced option to have.
    Any news on Fintan Burke's injury.? Also, hopefully Joe and Morrisey aren't as serious as they looked.

On the footballers. Second half was woeful. But all in all the league has been a success. Lots of new players used and we're safe. Still though, today was a missed opportunity.

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    That's a pity, but you can't blame him for taking the opportunity. Hopefully he comes back in the next year or two.

I'd add Conor Cooney to your return list. I know he's in poor form but he's an experienced option to have.
    Any news on Fintan Burke's injury.? Also, hopefully Joe and Morrisey aren't as serious as they looked.

Apparently on GBFM today that Fintan did the cruciate, as many feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

It would have been difficult to put fintan into the team anyway without any league game time, considering he's never played for Galway seniors before. It's absolutely daft how drawn out the club championship is

Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery and can come back for the Walsh cup next year. Can't see Toms doing 2 in a row without him

Apparently on GBFM today that Fintan did the cruciate, as many feared.

Any word on Canning? He looked shook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Any word on Canning? He looked shook

Supposedly it’s some kind of groin injury. X ray tomo I think

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

While we can't read too much into League performances, it's not a good luck for either the footballers or hurlers. A second league final appearance for the footballers would have shown more progress and another chance to play and win in Croke Park which we haven't done very often in the last 20 years. Against an opponent Kerry which we shouldn't fear, all the focus and pressure would have been on them! Anyway survival in League 1 achieved which is the main thing.

For the hurlers I have followed as closely, I think another crack at Limerick would have been good, exercise some of the ghosts of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Robert2014 wrote: »
    While we can't read too much into League performances, it's not a good luck for either the footballers or hurlers. A second league final appearance for the footballers would have shown more progress and another chance to play and win in Croke Park which we haven't done very often in the last 20 years. Against an opponent Kerry which we shouldn't fear, all the focus and pressure would have been on them! Anyway survival in League 1 achieved which is the main thing.

For the hurlers I have followed as closely, I think another crack at Limerick would have been good, exercise some of the ghosts of last year.

I think the new hurling championship format puts even less relevance on the league tbh.

Basically the Leinster format is essentially the new league for Galway, with (lets be honest) pretty much zero chance of not coming top 3, and 4/5 matches to play themselves into form, before the knock outs.

The Munster sides don't have the same luxury

I suspect we'll start to see Galway's true level around June time

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

The thing is though, I recall Cyril Farrell writing an article last year where he predicted that the Semi Finals would be three Leinster teams and the winner of Munster. He was somewhat claiming that the fustercluck of Munster would wear teams down, but the main thrust of his argument was that the quality in Leinster was just stronger. What transpired was that three Munster teams made it to the semis and I think that was mainly because they were so battle hardened by Munster. Clearly since Limerick went on to win it we can't really focus on Limerick vs Kilkenny, but on the other side people predicted that Wexford would give Clare a good rattle but in fact Clare brushed them aside somewhat easily.

My point being, I would agree with jr86 that Galway will easily make the top 3 in Leinster but I'm not entirely sure that the Leinster side of the Championship will do them any favours when the **** hits the fan later in the year. I think the players that under performed for Galway last year would have been found out much earlier had they the same sustained pressure any Munster team went through.

edit: I'm not saying for a second that Galway played badly or didn't deserve to get to the finals, but I think we can all agree that there were periods in almost every big game where Galway seemed very flat footed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

unfortunately, we won't be winning any all Ireland until we sort our goal keeping issues. The difference between the 2 teams yesterday was the goalkeepers. O Keeffe kept Waterford in with 2 saves in the first half and flannery let Waterford back in with a howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

cosatron wrote: »
    unfortunately, we won't be winning any all Ireland until we sort our goal keeping issues. The difference between the 2 teams yesterday was the goalkeepers. O Keeffe kept Waterford in with 2 saves in the first half and flannery let Waterford back in with a howler.

Position looks unsettled now. Is Callanan fit at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

I think he is, played club hurling for kinvara last year but his either 37/38 years old that didn't hurl intercounty last year and wasn't deemed fit enough to be subgoalie in the all Ireland. I was surprised MOD didn't bring in Murphy from tommie larkins, I thought he looked good for the u21 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭big_drive

In the modern game goalkeeper is a position that you must have settled and correct to have any chance of success

I think he is, played club hurling for kinvara last year but his either 37/38 years old that didn't hurl intercounty last year and wasn't deemed fit enough to be subgoalie in the all Ireland. I was surprised MOD didn't bring in Murphy from tommie larkins, I thought he looked good for the u21 last year.

Murphy played in the junior final two years ago and I couldn't understand how he wasn't playing county. He pulled off 4-5 saves that were of an unbelievable standard. Yes it was only junior but the sliothar still moves roughly the same speed when struck well.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Murphy playing the league and Callanan for the championship this year would have been ideal.

Hopefully Callanan is fully committed for this year, give itone last go.

big_drive wrote:
    Position looks unsettled now. Is Callanan fit at present?

Callanan played against Carlow. Wasn't great. Another baby I believe arrived soon after. Hasn't been seen since.

This only a "dead leg" carry on isn't accurate with JC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This only a "dead leg" carry on isn't accurate with JC

What is the real story?

What is the real story?

They don't know. And I know that might seem "empty" but it's been looked into more and they currently can't find the cause of the issue. But it's looking like it's more than a dead leg.

Examiner reporting that Joe’s injury is worse than they thought. Damaged his groin as well and may need surgery and could mean he will miss the entire Leinster championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard of intercounty lads that have been out 2 months with a dead leg but Joe's looked much worse.

He's been in excellent form this League but I think a Leinster without him could be the coming to Jesus moment this panel needs. Since 2008 we've relied far too much on Joe and his consistency has only increased that burden on him. Too many passengers last year like Flynn and Conor Cooney need to cop on and prove they're worth starting spots.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard of intercounty lads that have been out 2 months with a dead leg but Joe's looked much worse.

He's been in excellent form this League but I think a Leinster without him could be the coming to Jesus moment this panel needs. Since 2008 we've relied far too much on Joe and his consistency has only increased that burden on him. Too many passengers last year like Flynn and Conor Cooney need to cop on and prove they're worth starting spots.

Might be a blessing in disguise. We shouldn't need joe to get out of Leinster but we absolutely need a fresh joe from the QF's on. Hes played a lot already this season. I don't know if he could keep that up for another 5 months. Burke or Flynn need to step up on the free taking. Conor Cooney needs to stay on the bench unless hes pulling up trees in training. Hes miles off the player he should be.

Advertisement