Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Pushing up with 5 also, so we give Tyrone an easy option on every kick out. Either push up or don't but this plan is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭testtech05

No wonder people complain about the quality of the football being played.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

All the same I'd like to see them take on a shot now again, if Molloy for instance was allowed take a 60:40 shot on and missed by a foot I wouldn't mind, chances are he'd have the range the second time, how are they expected to do it come championship time I don't know

Maybe the wind had something to do with it as Tyrone wouldn't shoot there from wide open inside the D either.

2 nice scores to start the half if they can keep it up

I think they'd have a better return if they took the chance. >50% chance of a score vs 70% chance of getting turned over. Its a no brainer, unless you manage a team apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Conroy injured now FFS. How do we get so many muscle injuries? Dublin hardly miss anyone all year round.

I can't believe management did nothing all winter on a new way of attacking. It's actually worse today than any match I can remember last year. The amount of lateral and backwards handpassing in the first half even when we turned the ball over and had a chance to quickly attack was chronic. Lads turning down 35 yard shots on goal. And then they take off our best forward prospect in OCurraoin, for Darcy FFS, and no decent ball being given to OCurraoin. It's just chronic. We're not going to be in the All Ireland semi finals again playing like this.

Nicely worked goal when they played the ball at pace they opened them up but only seem to want to attack slowly most of the time.

McGrath been unlucky with a few of the fouls Joe has given against him on Canavan but probably lucky not to have a yellow aswell when they have been given

Sweeney is the only upside in that team, his pace and drive are the only game changer we have. No surprise he was involved in both goal chances. Kelly brought similar when he came on.

It's amazing what a bit of courage does. O'Flaherty has been very good taking on his man and it's opened things up a few times. Goal very well worked. Should've had a second.

This mark rule is a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

Fair play to Joe for blowing it up. Better in the second half. Healey and o flatherty played well. Could've killed Rob finnerty and maher with the sloppy turn over. Kelly brings great energy, true leader of this team

"High percentage shots" - that's Galway there in a nutshell. When that's the mantra at training and the dressing room you can look forward to more pedestrian rubbish going forward.

The only joy they got today was when they drove through and took a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There’s a lot more than the mark rule a shambles, tee.

Twas Darcy who gave it to Maher in a very tight spot in midfield. D'Arcy is not up to intercounty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Congrats Galway. Would have liked to see more long range potshots but a win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Worthwent14

Darcy gave it to Mulkerrin I thought. Neither inspire confidence. It's amazing what a bit of pace can do once we used with with Kelly, Sweeney, O Flaherty in the 2nd half. Maher, McGrath, Heaney excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Butson

I'm amazed so many people turn up to these games on a Sunday afternoon and pay their hard earned cash.

Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

With the Galway footballers and hurlers clashing I'll be using my football season ticket this weekend. Anybody wants my two hurling season tickets for the Antrim game pm me.

Wide open through the centre yet again. You could drive a coach and four down our CB channel and never be touched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Gone back so much. Getting torn apart here.

I was going to post at half time saying they were doing alot more right today. Running at Derry, pushing up on kickouts etc. but whatever advice they got at half time they came out and dumped everything that was working for them. Had the advantage of the breeze and just went back to lazy laboured defensive muck. They're getting their reward.

Dalys terrible miss at start of 2nd half, then Molloy bad pass followed by a foul black card for molloy and penalty.. Soon down to 13 men.. Hard going from there against a virtually full strength Derry team..

Nail on head. Those couple of minutes was the end of that game. All things considered thought it was an OK performance.

Indeed I'm not as pessimistic as I was after our first day out.. Maher is some operator, selfless running never gets the praise he deserves Imv, defence forced a good few turnovers too but more work to be done, I'm hoping we'll stay up.. At this stage I'm glad we're nowhere near a league final, championship is where it's at

It was starting to turn before then. The first half was decent but the 2nd half was a mess from the throw in.

Why stop the press when you have the breeze, surely that's when you double down.

Why go back to lateral play when punching holes with runners was yielding results.

And it all happened directly after halftime which would suggest it was instructed by management.

Shur you have to factor we were down to 13 men early in the 2nd half, management couldn't have foresaw that at half time 🤔

Niall Daly miss was three minutes into the second half. Molloy black carded on 40 minutes, Mulkerrins black carded on 45 minutes. Difficult to press the ball or move it quickly when it's 15 against 14 and then 15 against 13. Thought we started the second half on the front foot.

Derry scored their 3rd goal bang on the 55 minute when it was about to go back to 15 on 15. Sometimes you just don't get a lot of breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Who was was wearing #26 for the hurlers? Thanks

• Advertisement

Advertisement