Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It seems to be a case that once players gets established in the senior panel it's almost impossible for them to get dropped from it no matter how poorly they perform, some players are still living off what they did 4 or 5 years ago and haven't done anything in about 3 years, but, are still involved, while others don't seem to get a fair crack of the whip and are discarded at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looking at how mayos sideline performed yesterday and how ours has performed in recent years, worlds apart im afraid... Pains me to say it but Padraigs reign has been a bitter disappointment for me, in hindsight now promoted too soon, a brilliant player, one of our best but I've seen no evidence yet he has a managers brain I don't think he's our man going forward, at the very least a complete clearout of his backroom team is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Unfortunately its been obvious before he took the job. I've said on here before that when you see him doing analysis on TV its like he's watching a different game. He was clueless with a very talented u20 team who went on to win the AI the year after he left.

Clearing out the backroom team will do nothing except waste another year. With KW we had a defensive system but no attacking plan. With PJ we have neither. We have a group of very good footballers and a couple of exceptional footballers but all playing as individuals and no semblence of a team.

Wipe the slate clean. Bring in a manager that knows how to play the modern game and give him the supports he requires from s&c and analysis to do the job properly. Kevin O'Brien would be my choice. Getting the galway team playing with the cohesion and fluidity of Corofin is a scary prospect given some of the talent available and coming from u21.

Always felt Joyce got the job on the strength of his footballing career more than anything he did in management and feared that things might turn out as they have. He made a promising start and looked to be heading in the right direction, but, they've been an absolute disaster since returning after lockdown last year, unfortunately we're stuck with him for another year at least as he's almost seen as untouchable because of his playing career. If we have a half decent season next year he'll probably get another year too, but, realistically we won't make any worthwhile progress with Joyce in charge.

The hurlers also need a change as SoN doesn't seem to have worked out, we should be serious contenders for Leinster title instead we went out with a whimper and our performance against Waterford was a disgrace. It's very hard to know who'd be best to take over as it seems to be very hard for anyone to get the best out of the hurlers, seems to be always problems with players not wanting to play in certain positions and infighting between players from certain clubs and downing tools during season/ matches, they're along way off from where they were from 2015 to 2018 where they probably should have won another AI.

Obviously the county board is a mess and certainly doesn't help matters, but, the performances in both codes are still unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's not that long ago Mayo got rid of Horan with the same supporters slating his decision making. They will probally turn on him again before long. Joyce deserves a full covid reg free season. Fitness and a kick out plan need to be worked on. When you see Mayos comeback yesterday it was similar to the Galway game, maybe we weren't as bad as we thought. He's not a fool and will adapt if he has to. Mentally we need to be stronger, they are all things that can be worked on. We have the raw talent.

• Advertisement

No one is saying he's a fool, but, there doesn't appear to be much evidence that he's a top level manager, he's had 2 seasons with them now and no real progress made, they look to have regressed if anything. Every county have had to deal with Covid, so that can't really be used as an excuse. The bottom line is our performance against Mayo was not really acceptable, we rolled over in the second half without much fight. Mayo's victory yesterday should not elevate Galway to a higher level as in reality we are miles behind them as was shown in the second half of the Connacht final.

I think when we're talking about PJ we have to separate his playing career which stands alone, he's without doubt one of if not the greatest to pull on the maroon and white and his management career so far and looking at it with a cold eye he's not the answer, sure paidi was fired from Kerry and he after winning 2 AI's with them, no room for sentiment there

Alex Ferguson was within 10 minutes of being sacked by UTD in 1986. I'm sure he would have gone down as another average manager if he was sacked and certain fans would have got their wish but not the success that followed. Have some patience, I still think the next Connacht county to bring Sam west will be us. They do say I'm mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Are we seriously comparing Ferguson with Joyce? Ferguson had a pretty amazing body of work before moving to Manchester. What has Joyce shown or done to warrant his position?

Nothing compared to what ferguson subsequently achieved. Make no mistake Horan was going to be savaged for taking off O Shea if they lost yesterday. It's small margins. Galway would have given Dublin a good run for it yesterday. Who would you replace Joyce with. The only one I can think of is Rochford. Surely we can give Joyce some time, it's a young team by an large with last year's u 20s to come in yet.

• Advertisement

I'd put him more in the Bobby charlton management bracket

I think that's one of the problems, because of who he is everyone wants him to succeed ( as we would for any Galway manager), but, don't want any criticism of him whatsoever, on his management record alone it doesn't look like he's the man for the job, he'll get another year anyways (don't think he should), so if there isn't any improvement next year he really should be let go, 3 years is plenty for any manager, GAA managers tend to get the best results in the first 2 years and performances start to drop after that, it's really only the top level managers who can sustain things after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Absolutely nobody would've been critical of Horan for taking off AOS yesterday, even if they'd lost.

I was standing beside two Mayo men in the Pub who were just that, he was playing poorly but out of position. They wanted him at 11 or midfield maybe even 6. Sean Kelly's loss to Galway was huge as well finnerty and Walshes injuries. The previous year we were cold coming into the Connacht final with Sligo withdrawing. They barely beat us with a last minute professional foul. This year we had one game v Roscommon before we played them. We lost the advantage of playing them in Mc Hale park and the connacht council gave them the advantage of playing where they are used to in croke park. Small margins that didn't go our way.

O’Brien, Rochford, Cunningham all have a better body of work than Joyce. If O’Shea wasn’t taken off Horan would have been slaughtered. He was far and away their worst player yesterday.

I think you missed the part where we lost to everyone bar roscommon this year and got relegated. Its clear he doesn't have a clue. Great players rarely make great managers.

You're happy to whittle away Shane Walshes best years in the hope he's the next Alex ferguson. Newsflash, he isn't and never will be. He has a habit of pushing players under the bus when we take a beating too which is never good for team morale.

He got lucky at the beginning as the team had the base of KW's defensive system but were freer to play so had a run before covid hit. After they came back the new theories were impeded and its been a shítshow since.

Joyce was a super player and no one will ever take that away from him. He's no manager though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Joyce isn't up to senior intercounty management but my understanding is that he was the only candidate willing to at least give it a go with little to no funding. As much as the past two seasons have been a big disappointment I respect him for at least trying. That said I'll be very disappointed if he is in charge next year.

Mother of God....

2-05 to 0-2 after 16mins.

Regardless of the end result there is serious questions to be asked of whos managing the pathway in hurling.

To be the benchmark at minor and to be so poor in the adult grades is criminal.

Two backs go for the same ball and Cork get a goal.

No semblance of coaching with the basics missing(pucking it to half forward, aimless balls, defenders getting in each others way).

We should be cleaning up like Dublin with the consistent talent at underage yet our players just fall off a cliff after 17.

If a team is properly coached in hurling you shouldn't go 10mins without scoring yet we do it game after game.

And back to type.

12 wides, 11 scores... so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

The handling of the covid outbreak in the panel by the management & also Galway co board raises even more questions. Over 20 players testing positive over 2 weeks starting from the weekend after the Leinster final , match should not of been played so soon afterwards, player welfare??

• Advertisement

There was a Covid outbreak in the Galway U-20 squad? Surely if this was the case the precedent was set by Tyrone and we should have looked to move the game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A depressing couple months for Galway GAA. Worst I can remember in a long time in terms of bad results and performances.

Writing was on the wall from the semi. It was a poor display, full of bad errors, poor touch and bad tactics. We'll keep repeating these type of seasons (in both codes) until we put proper systems in place. Look at what offaly and Cork did in a few short years and offaly are light years away from us in terms of a conveyor of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

In fairness to the players the game shouldn’t have been played yesterday. Cork announced they had covid issue in their panel & the original fixture was postponed. Galway panel had over 20 positive tests after they stopped off in a pub after the Leinster final. Why wasn’t it announced & deferral requested by management/co board ? Why did training continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

And now they are looking for a new manager

Jeff Lynskey has stepped down

The hurles both senior and U20s both seem to make the same mistakes, they allow the opposition to build up an early unassailable lead and spend the rest of the match chasing it or else they go 10-15 mins or more without scoring often more than once in a match, which allows the opposition to get on top in a match. It's become a regular occurrence over the last few years, probably have to go back to 2017 since the seniors put in a consistent 70 mins in the championship. Other counties don't seem to do this as regularly as Galway do, think it's a mentality issue within the county setups.

Minor hurlers looking in trouble already. Going down through the panel theres only about 10 clubs represented. Turloughmore have 8 or 9 on the panel. I dont care how good Turlough minors are, there's no way they have 9 of the 30 best players in minor in the county. None of the small clubs getting a look in despite there being some absolutely outstanding hurlers in those clubs. I think Cork have something like 20 or 25 clubs represented.

Another early lead we'll be chasing all day and unlikely to close, it seems to be a recurring pattern with the hurlers

In the first 13mins here Cork have won about 6 of our long puck outs and won two of theirs easy... total scoring return from those puck outs was about 5 Cork points.

We really need to get a Director of Hurling/Football in who understands how to develop players into high percentage play.

Watch Limerick tomorrow and see how many times they just puck it to HF and hope to win it back.

All we have across our teams is managers in charge, you need people involved who know how to develop squads to play percentage play, losing most of your puck outs is just lazy coaching and not controlling the one set play the sports have.

Like sending a rugby team out who haven't worked on scrums and line outs.. if you havent worked on your set plays and patterns you're just going to play as individuals and see games like this over and over.

4 points here in twenty minutes. Each of our teams has came out and played a game of pure chance, his silly wides and struggled to score or contain.

Another trashing on the cards here... ive seriously lost hope for our hurlers based on how we just seem to have no sembelence of coaching taking place. Id bet all the teams do lap, some passing drills, play a game and go home... stone age stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

That Cork team are big lads for 17 year olds.

We're not at the races at all.

Advertisement