Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

threeball wrote: »
    Last week obviously hasn't removed your maroon blinkers. The breeze doesn't stop you moving the ball quickly.

Of course it does. You can't go long and direct because it won't travel, you have to work through the lines which allows opposition players to get back. That's a baffling statement. Have you ever played the game?

Last week was utterly depressing. We're miles off All Ireland level. However we've just comfortably beaten the team we'll meet in championship. Missed 3 clear goal chances and they scored from their only chance and lived from frees. Dominated all facets. I don't know how someone could watch that and only see negativity. Must be a sad little life

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Well, we've learned that Galway have a better set of players than Roscommon.

I'm not sure how much more you can take from that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Good win for Galway. It was badly needed after last weekends horror show. Good to strike a physiological blow against Roscommon as well who we will meet again in the Championship soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well done to Joyce and the lads.
    There’s good days to come lads.
    Hup the tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭threeball

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Of course it does. You can't go long and direct because it won't travel, you have to work through the lines which allows opposition players to get back. That's a baffling statement. Have you ever played the game?

Last week was utterly depressing. We're miles off All Ireland level. However we've just comfortably beaten the team we'll meet in championship. Missed 3 clear goal chances and they scored from their only chance and lived from frees. Dominated all facets. I don't know how someone could watch that and only see negativity. Must be a sad little life

You're waffling again just like last week. There's barely a breeze up there, the flags are only fluttering intermittently. You seem to think that unless its flat calm you can only play pass the parcel.
    Its quite obvious that we should be beating Roscommon but you seem happy with mediocrity and getting the odd win in the championship. Even the manager came out and claimed his aim was to win the all ireland last year.

There's nothing negative in seeing the obvious flaws that will haunt this team anytime they meet any of the 8 or 9 teams that are better than roscommon. I wouldnt expect you to understand that. A win today seems to translate to a win next week in your book. Then again you did come out with the statement that Tomo Culhane was too young to start last week yet he gets a cameo today and scores 1-1. His manager by the way won an all ireland when he had just turned 21 surrounded by at least 4 others who were around the same age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

You're waffling again just like last week. There's barely a breeze up there, the flags are only fluttering intermittently. You seem to think that unless its flat calm you can only play pass the parcel.
    Its quite obvious that we should be beating Roscommon but you seem happy with mediocrity and getting the odd win in the championship. Even the manager came out and claimed his aim was to win the all ireland last year.

There's nothing negative in seeing the obvious flaws that will haunt this team anytime they meet any of the 8 or 9 teams that are better than roscommon. I wouldnt expect you to understand that. A win today seems to translate to a win next week in your book. Then again you did come out with the statement that Tomo Culhane was too young to start last week yet he gets a cameo today and scores 1-1. His manager by the way won an all ireland when he had just turned 21 surrounded by at least 4 others who were around the same age.

No comparison though....

MfMan wrote: »
    No comparison though....

There's no comparison in the teams either. Culhane is plenty good enough to play on that team. Good to see Finnerty stand up to the plate today. Would he be as good had he not got game time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I've been plenty critical of Joyce and the footballers in the past 12 months but credit to them for turning up today. Some much needed improvements from last week evident in Shane Walsh and Comer. Conroy was fantastic and led the charge.

Think the winning of the match was Heaney coming on at half forward. He created big space for the forwards late on.

Nice to see Finnerty, Paul Kelly, Culhane and Glynn all having good showings too.

That relegation play off they're more than likely in barring a shock against Dublin will be a better gage of where we are.

I've been plenty critical of Joyce and the footballers in the past 12 months but credit to them for turning up today. Some much needed improvements from last week evident in Shane Walsh and Comer. Conroy was fantastic and led the charge.

Think the winning of the match was Heaney coming on at half forward. He created big space for the forwards late on.

Nice to see Finnerty, Paul Kelly, Culhane and Glynn all having good showings too.

That relegation play off they're more than likely in barring a shock against Dublin will be a better gage of where we are.

Heaney is a far better footballer than Brannigan. Not sure how he was sitting on the bench as long as he was.

Will they be in a relegation playoff? I thought Roscommon and the bottom team from the other group would go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Will they be in a relegation playoff? I thought Roscommon and the bottom team from the other group would go down.

It's 3rd v 4th between both sides of the draw. Losers go down. So Galway will potentially Monaghan.

• Advertisement

It's 3rd v 4th between both sides of the draw. Losers go down. So Galway will potentially Monaghan.

Not a game you'd be confident of getting a result. Monaghan were very good against Donegal although they did throw away a big lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

Roscommon v Galway is listed as one of the Covid test events in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭spurshero

Suprised o laoi drops to bench thought he was excellent last week . Massive test today hopefully we can keep
    It some way competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭mjp

spurshero wrote: »
    Suprised o laoi drops to bench thought he was excellent last week . Massive test today hopefully we can keep
    It some way competitive

No more than last week there will be changes to that team and expect o laoi to start. One of our main players named there won't start from what I hear this morning and would be fearful for us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to Joyce and the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

mjp wrote: »
    No more than last week there will be changes to that team and expect o laoi to start. One of our main players named there won't start from what I hear this morning and would be fearful for us today.

How bad is it? The last thing we need is another Comer injury

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Comer out with a hand injury from the Roscommon game.

Conceding the Kickout immediately to Dublin. Its absolutely criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Awful friggin miss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Awful friggin miss

What a chance. Just can't afford to miss them.

• Advertisement

Putting no pressure on their kick outs and taking a minute to take ours meaning they've fully set up.

This will only go one way once you're conceding extra possessions.

Putting no pressure on their kick outs and taking a minute to take ours meaning they've fully set up.

This will only go one way once you're conceding extra possessions.

Signs on we've played all the football and yet Dublin are right there with us.

Concede the kick out, Dublin down and score.

Kick the restart long, Dublin win it and score... youd almost think there was some magic correlation between possession and scoring.

That ball should be kicked out straight after that dub point, ok we got lucky but....

Dublin get away with a power of fouling. Hands on the back of the guy sprinting away from them, dragging the arm. Like hurling its time it was reffed properly

Some speed on walshe on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Wide as a gate

My takeaway from the first half is we have a team that can match Dublin for football but we're let down by tactics and coaching. Conceding kickouts, only having long options on our kickouts and carrying the ball into contact being our biggest flaws. Theyre very fixable if the management are bothered to work on them.

^if we know where the problems are we can fix them, l hope im wrong and its not personal but im not convinced with Power I wish he had persisted with Gleeson, good points at no time were the dubs allowed through on goal but shur they're only in second gear yet

• Advertisement

^if we know where the problems are we can fix them, l hope im wrong and its not personal but im not convinced with Power I wish he had persisted with Gleeson, good points at no time were the dubs allowed through on goal but shur they're only in second gear yet

My worry is they're the same issues we had last year and the year before. They seem to be working the ball around better (its a style I hate but you need to do it if you want to win) but still going into contact and getting turned over and thats normally where Dublin create goals from.
    Gleeson had no kickout accuracy unfortunately and his tenancy to do mental stuff like hacking down attackers was his undoing.

Advertisement