Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kiely making the team talk very easy for Shane O'Neill if we meet them again in the Championship.

They love to hurl on that very storied 'edge' & now the powers that be have (imo rightly) decided the edge needs to be moved back an inch or two with the knock on effect of them being called out for fouling. Anyone who watched Limerick in the last couple of years won't be blind to the continual sly digs, screening/blocking and other low key illegal stuff they get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭threeball

cson wrote: »
    Kiely making the team talk very easy for Shane O'Neill if we meet them again in the Championship.

They love to hurl on that very storied 'edge' & now the powers that be have (imo rightly) decided the edge needs to be moved back an inch or two with the knock on effect of them being called out for fouling. Anyone who watched Limerick in the last couple of years won't be blind to the continual sly digs, screening/blocking and other low key illegal stuff they get up to.

I also think that their system is now being figured out by the top teams and systems are dangerous things once someone finds a way round them. Plan B is normally far inferior.
    If GMac can stay fit he should be good enough to hold the fullback position in a game against limerick where the goal threat is far less than if we were to play Tipp or Cork. That would free up Daithi and if you gave him a man marking job on hegarty then you put a serious dent in Limericks ability to transition.
    I think Tipp will be dangerous this year. Like our lads there's 5 or 6 that will be ravenous to add a final all ireland before hanging up the boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Squatman

grbear wrote: »
    Yesterday was one of the worst Galway performances I've ever seen, quite possibly the absolute worst. Hard to describe the sheer awfulness of the whole miserable experience without swearing like a sailor. No positives to be taken from it.

there are many positives. Im positive Galway will not win the league. Im positive we wont win connaught, im positive we wont win the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Fair play to John Keily, it's no easy thing to admit that you're wrong. A very classy statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Fair play to John Keily, it's no easy thing to admit that you're wrong. A very classy statement.

He made an ass of himself. More in his line to concentrate on his own team

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    He made an ass of himself. More in his line to concentrate on his own team

Exactly, he deserves no credit at all. Damage mitigation is all it is. He goes from seeing multiple simulation events Sunday to none on Tuesday. And its not just him. If he truly believes he saw that then he says it to his backroom team. So either they're a bunch of yes men or they need their eyesight checked too. Or they suggested it first and he goes along with it. Both scenarios don't paint that set up in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

JP musta laid down the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

threeball wrote: »
    Exactly, he deserves no credit at all. Damage mitigation is all it is. He goes from seeing multiple simulation events Sunday to none on Tuesday. And its not just him. If he truly believes he saw that then he says it to his backroom team. So either they're a bunch of yes men or they need their eyesight checked too. Or they suggested it first and he goes along with it. Both scenarios don't paint that set up in a good light.

Tyrell and jacobs would want to clarify their remarks agreeing with him Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

PJ must be on his two knees thanking god for john Kiely ....the biggest football disaster completely forgotten.....

I says wrote: »
    Tyrell and jacobs would want to clarify their remarks agreeing with him Sunday night.

Ya Jackie was awful to listen to.

If there's 40 frees in a game, instead of complaining about the rules why don't the players stop giving needless frees away.

It's the equilviant of seeing the drink driving numbers going up and saying we need to increase the limit instead of holding people accountable.

"Let the game flow"... frankly I'd hate to see Galway players fouled "minorly" 4 times before the first Galway foul in the 'middling' category is whistled.
    You can't have selective application of the same rules.

If I was a manager the only instance I'd want my players fouling is to prevent a goal, and they went nuclear with that so it's not even valid anymore.

An example of needless fouling the last day was Hegarty got in on goal and messed up the pass and they fluffed the chance.
    A few minutes later the same thing but he was pulled straight away, free and a score.

Its giving players an easy out when they may miss or mispass otherwise.
    Considering 90% of frees are converted, you'd really only want to be fouling where you're preventing a more dangerous situation and they can't happen in your half anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Kiely retracted his diving allegation, not the free count. The Sunday Game panel never discussed diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Grats wrote: »
    Kiely retracted his diving allegation, not the free count. The Sunday Game panel never discussed diving.

I hope Tyrell eats his words some time this summer. Not to show tyrell up but to prove that persisting with officiating to the rules will eventually have the desired effect. To sit back and say 'let the game flow' for ever and ever is just nonsense talk. If we cant deal with fouling issues in a league that means nothing in the middle of a pandemic then when is a good time?

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I hope Tyrell eats his words some time this summer. Not to show tyrell up but to prove that persisting with officiating to the rules will eventually have the desired effect. To sit back and say 'let the game flow' for ever and ever is just nonsense talk. If we cant deal with fouling issues in a league that means nothing in the middle of a pandemic then when is a good time?

I don't agree with this notion of letting the game flow at all costs. There's way too much fouling, obviously then the high free count. Every county will have their day when the free count goes against them. And every pundit is critical of refs for blowing so much. I think the refs must continue to award frees until players, and coaches, learn their lesson.

It was Limericks turn on Sunday. It'll be some other county next weekend.

Grats wrote: »
    I don't agree with this notion of letting the game flow at all costs. There's way too much fouling, obviously then the high free count. Every county will have their day when the free count goes against them. And every pundit is critical of refs for blowing so much. I think the refs must continue to award frees until players, and coaches, learn their lesson.

It was Limericks turn on Sunday. It'll be some other county next weekend.

I dont think Limerick can afford to stop fouling. Its such an integral part of their system and prevents them being exposed at critical times and also getting caught for goals. Whatever they gain by not giving up frees they could lose in scores from play and with that goes something almost more important, momentum. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I suspect Kielys aggravation on Sunday stemmed from the realisation that tighter reffing will impact them more than anyone else and theres no easy answer.

I dont think Limerick can afford to stop fouling. Its such an integral part of their system and prevents them being exposed at critical times and also getting caught for goals. Whatever they gain by not giving up frees they could lose in scores from play and with that goes something almost more important, momentum. It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. I suspect Kielys aggravation on Sunday stemmed from the realisation that tighter reffing will impact them more than anyone else and theres no easy answer.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What did they say that you think needs clarification, everything they said is still valid and has absolutely nothing to do with what Kiely has since retracted :confused:

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What did they say that you think needs clarification, everything they said is still valid and has absolutely nothing to do with what Kiely has since retracted :confused:

Its what they didnt say thats more damaging. By not challenging Kielys assertion that Galway were diving they essentially endorsed it. They glossed over the whole matter which gave the impression that everything kiely said was gospel including criticising the ref for giving frees which kiely now admits were frees. It was the worst kind of punditry from two of the worst pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Its what they didnt say thats more damaging. By not challenging Kielys assertion that Galway were diving they essentially endorsed it. They glossed over the whole matter which gave the impression that everything kiely said was gospel including criticising the ref for giving frees which kiely now admits were frees. It was the worst kind of punditry from two of the worst pundits.

Your gripe is with Joanne Cantwell so, she was chairing the discussion.

Never heard of a pundit being asked to apologise for something they didn't say, what a bizzare stand to take :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Jacktheelad

Last Sunday, Joe Canning broke the all time appearance record for Galway senior hurlers in Championship and League after his 20 minutes against Limerick in Pearse Stadium.

He now has reached 112 games for Galway just passing out his Portumna team mate Damien Hayes who held the record of 111 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Last Sunday, Joe Canning broke the all time appearance record for Galway senior hurlers in Championship and League after his 20 minutes against Limerick in Pearse Stadium.

He now has reached 112 games for Galway just passing out his Portumna team mate Damien Hayes who held the record of 111 games.

No surprise that Joe has taken that record, given the longevity of his career, his obvious quality and the fact that Galway in the past decade or so have been involved in more championship games per annum than before. Hayes now in second place is slightly surprising, given that his career was in it's later stages when we entered Leinster. Davy Burke and Aidan Harte must both have a good number of 'caps' now also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

Episode 42 - Lorrha Conspires To Get Brian Hogan Back In The Goals!!!!!

https://sptfy.com/JohnMc

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/1edrx

Michael, Marisa & Sean discuss this weeks GAA goings on in Tipp and welcome guests James Williams, Eamonn Wynne & John McIntyre.

Time Stamps

31:16 - Marisa interviews John McIntyre and gets his thoughts on this Saturdays League game V Galway.

We also have our new Website up and running with a lot of the audio podcast platforms on it

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com

Galway senior hurling team to play Tipperary this Saturday in Semple Stadium, Thurles in the National League. Throw-in 1.30pm with the game live on TG4.

Nine changes from the team that started against Limerick with Darren Morrissey, Daithí Burke, TJ Brennan, Aidan Harte, Joe Canning, Johnny Coen, Jason Flynn, Conor Cooney and Kevin Cooney all coming into the starting XV.

1. Eanna Murphy (Tommy Larkins)
    2. Darren Morrissey (Sarsfields)
    3. Daithí Burke (Turloughmore)
    4. TJ Brennan (Clarinbridge)
    5. Adrian Tuohey (Beagh)
    6. Padraic Mannion (c) (Ahascragh-Fohenagh)
    7. Aidan Harte (Gort)
    8. Joe Canning (Portumna)
    9. Johnny Coen (Loughrea)
    10. Joseph Cooney (Sarsfields)
    11. Jason Flynn (Tommy Larkins)
    12. Conor Cooney (St Thomas')
    13. Brian Concannon (Killimordaly)
    14. Kevin Cooney (Sarsfields)
    15. Conor Whelan (Kinvara)

Subs: Darach Fahy (Ardrahan), Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly), Seán Loftus (Turloughmore), Fintan Burke (St Thomas'), Gearóid McInerney (Oranmore-Maree), Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghdown), Ja Mannion (Cappataggle), Niall Burke )Oranmore-Maree), Evan Niland (Clarinbridge), Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh-Fohenagh), Jack Hastings (Liam Mellows).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stool_Pigeon

100%. The systematic fouling by their half forwards protects their full back line and they concede very few opportunities for goals never mind actual goals, that tends to happen when you are fouling the opposition half backs from where the ball tends to arrive for goalscoring opportunities.
    But now where 'the free is the advantage' and free takers are as good as they are, what you are saving in green flag risk is risking death by papercut from placed balls.

Kiely knows this, hence the crying about it, and the 'apology' was even worse, does he think we were all born yesterday?
    It's out there in the ether now and it will certainly be referred to should Limerick meet Galway later on this year

Galway senior hurling team to play Tipperary this Saturday in Semple Stadium, Thurles in the National League. Throw-in 1.30pm with the game live on TG4.

Nine changes from the team that started against Limerick with Darren Morrissey, Daithí Burke, TJ Brennan, Aidan Harte, Joe Canning, Johnny Coen, Jason Flynn, Conor Cooney and Kevin Cooney all coming into the starting XV.

5. Adrian Tuohey (Beagh)
    7. Aidan Harte (Gort)

Subs: Darach Fahy (Ardrahan), Jack Fitzpatrick (Killimordaly), Seán Loftus (Turloughmore), Fintan Burke (St Thomas'), Gearóid McInerney (Oranmore-Maree), Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghdown), Ja Mannion (Cappataggle), Niall Burke )Oranmore-Maree), Evan Niland (Clarinbridge), Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh-Fohenagh), Jack Hastings (Liam Mellows).

Good to see that many changes and still put out a team you would be happy will give Tipp a good rattle. If Kevin Cooney can perform it will be a big plus. We'll have the most strength in depth I can remember if one or two more can step up to the plate.

He speaks very well and is someone that should be given a chance as a pundit from the way he is not afraid to touch on a few sacred cows. From the few mins he spoke you'd have him every day of the week over Derek and Donal Óg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

5. Adrian Tuohey (Beagh)
    7. Aidan Harte (Gort)

Finally using the league the way we should, to find new lads to challenge the incumbents from last year.

It's not too long ago we were flogging the likes of Joe in the league to no end. He injured himself against Waterford iirc and that was the Championship done for us for the year more or less.

If last week was very good, this is very poor.

15mins and two points and bar a few bad wides they'd 10 ahead.

C.Cooney had made 5 errors in 14mins.

I dont think many of the changes are doing anything to prove we have depth here which was previously the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I dont think many of the changes are doing anything to prove we have depth here which was previously the case.

Darren Morrissey and Kevin Cooney doing ok. Daithi needs games to get up to speed. Always has.

Conor Cooney remains the same. Massive work rate. Getting on ball. No finish.

Jason Flynn remains the same.... stone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway forwards not slick enough to create goal chances.......big worry

Advertisement