Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Galway forwards not slick enough to create goal chances.......big worry

Kevin Cooney had one and drew a good save. Wind to come so we shall see.

Darren Morrissey and Kevin Cooney doing ok. Daithi needs games to get up to speed. Always has.

Conor Cooney remains the same. Massive work rate. Getting on ball. No finish.

Jason Flynn remains the same.... stone...

A lot of the same structural problems are there which is worrying.

We're very open when a ball comes in, it could be 2V2 with plenty of space.
    The ball bounces the wrong way and it's a goal chance.

When we play it forward its packed and every team seems to have extra men while our best ball winner up there -Whelan needs ball to his advantage.

We wouldn't win an argument in the FF line with the options we have these days.

Whatever way we keep setting up we're not benefiting from numbers in either half of the pitch and its worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Darren Morrissey and Kevin Cooney doing ok. Daithi needs games to get up to speed. Always has.

Conor Cooney remains the same. Massive work rate. Getting on ball. No finish.

Jason Flynn remains the same.... stone...

If Kevin cooney can get games under his belt he's a better option than Jason Flynn. A few introductions here could swing this in our favour very quickly but unfortunately not many that got the chance today are putting their hand up to take places.
    Can't understand why after losing 5 long balls on top of the Tipp half back line we keep hitting them in there in hope. We threw away two all irelands with tactics like that in the last decade. We have to learn to adapt when its not working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

Conor Cooney and Flynn surely have gotten enough chances now to prove they are not first 15 material.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Jacktheelad

Robson99 wrote: »
    Conor Cooney and Flynn surely have gotten enough chances now to prove they are not first 15 material.

Conor Cooney living off club form & has been for quite some time now. When will they draw the line?

As for Flynn he's normally a substitute anyway. I wouldn't think too much in to him starting today given the amount of changes.

Cooney baffles me though tbh.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »

Flynn's issue is more hes generally anonymous, Cooney just seems to have games where he makes tonnes of mistakes.
    He(Flynn) fluffs 90% of his goal chances and doesn't try hard enough.
    An example of that around the 52min mark the ball went up into the far corner and he gave up and let the Tipp player get the ball instead of throwing himself to get in front.
    Grand doing that in a weekly 5 a side but these are televised games regardless of their importance.

As I said last season, himself and Flynn scored about 2 points each in the Championship, both played around 40mins a game between starts and subs.
    Hegeraty had scored more than both of them in one half of the final.

Cooney made 5 bad errors in the first 15mins yet I read in other places people saying he had a good first half, I guess people just read the scores and anyone with one is viewed as playing well when he cost us more than one with his pulling fouls alone.

Flynn's issue is more hes generally anonymous, Cooney just seems to have games where he makes tonnes of mistakes.
    He(Flynn) fluffs 90% of his goal chances and doesn't try hard enough.
    An example of that around the 52min mark the ball went up into the far corner and he gave up and let the Tipp player get the ball instead of throwing himself to get in front.
    Grand doing that in a weekly 5 a side but these are televised games regardless of their importance.

As I said last season, himself and Flynn scored about 2 points each in the Championship, both played around 40mins a game between starts and subs.
    Hegeraty had scored more than both of them in one half of the final.

Cooney made 5 bad errors in the first 15mins yet I read in other places people saying he had a good first half, I guess people just read the scores and anyone with one is viewed as playing well when he cost us more than one with his pulling fouls alone.

Agree with most of that. Though I will say I'd have Cooney every day of the week ahead of Flynn. Id rather a lad trying and making mistakes than a lad not bothering his hole. Flynn is too light to be effective if he's not using speed to be out in front or running lads down once they get the ball. He does neither. Flynn is a luxury player and you can't afford them at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Like yourself. Thought he was poor. Litany of errors. Poor wides. But but but. This is the first game he has caught my eye. I remember saying last year he must be doing Trojan work off the ball that we couldn't see on TV as I couldn't understand how he was lasting games. But the amount of ball he got on today has to be noted. Granted he did sweet FA with a lot of it but if you look at Joseph, Whelan, JC it's not the easiest at inter county level to get on a lot of ball. He's big, he's strong, he's good under the high ball, and if he can rid himself of whatever metal block he has for shooting he could be a piece to the puzzle. A lot needs to improve which I think everyone would agree with but as is often said the "goalposts never move". He can shoot. We know he can shoot. I actually think he's trying to hard and forcing his hurling so much he's having so many unforced errors.

It's a conundrum. After today I would like to see him get the rest of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Cooney probably gets leeway because he was genuinely top class from 2014-2017, no matter what position he played. A proven higher ceiling than others. Bar glimpses of that has fallen off a cliff. One thing about him is that he never hides, which is both a positive and a negative, as he is clearly too greedy at times. With Whelan preforming in a more removed role and a dearth of known inside forwards, I think it's probably time to put him at HF aside for a while and try someone new inside. He's one of the more perplexing personnel decisions anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

In fairness to Conor Cooney also, I don't know when I've seen him as lean looking - really trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to Joyce and the lads today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

Like yourself. Thought he was poor. Litany of errors. Poor wides. But but but. This is the first game he has caught my eye. I remember saying last year he must be doing Trojan work off the ball that we couldn't see on TV as I couldn't understand how he was lasting games. But the amount of ball he got on today has to be noted. Granted he did sweet FA with a lot of it but if you look at Joseph, Whelan, JC it's not the easiest at inter county level to get on a lot of ball. He's big, he's strong, he's good under the high ball, and if he can rid himself of whatever metal block he has for shooting he could be a piece to the puzzle. A lot needs to improve which I think everyone would agree with but as is often said the "goalposts never move". He can shoot. We know he can shoot. I actually think he's trying to hard and forcing his hurling so much he's having so many unforced errors.

It's a conundrum. After today I would like to see him get the rest of the league.

Bar the odd so so performance in the league C Cooney, Flynn and N Burke have done nothing in the Championship since we won the AI in 2017. That is a long time to be living of past performances. With Niland, Kevin Cooney and Ja Mannion coming through I think it's time to move on from them.
    I feel sorry for C Cooney. He is able to win his own ball ( which flynn cannot do ) but his conversion rate since 2017 must be at about 20%.. He continues to go for his own scores and rarely looks to set up another player. On top of that he concedes a lot of frees with his tackling.
    He is very much a confidence player, however it's nearly 4 years now since he has looked positive or like he is enjoying it at inter county level and that is not helping the players around him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Best of luck to Joyce and the lads today

There has to be some reaction to last weeks performance .... even so I am not optimistic about a win... to get within 3 points of Ros would be a big improvement from last week. I hope they prove me wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭mjp

One change from Joyce from last week's starting 15 means hes backing his lads from last week to give a performance. Gary o Donnell only man to drop out with Sean Kelly back to try and shore up the defence. Anything less than a win today means Joyce and his management team are in serious bother with the Dubs to come next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A lot of the same structural problems are there which is worrying.

We're very open when a ball comes in, it could be 2V2 with plenty of space.
    The ball bounces the wrong way and it's a goal chance.

When we play it forward its packed and every team seems to have extra men while our best ball winner up there -Whelan needs ball to his advantage.

We wouldn't win an argument in the FF line with the options we have these days.

Whatever way we keep setting up we're not benefiting from numbers in either half of the pitch and its worrying.

Agree, teams are packin’ their defense to stop us scoring goals......knowing they will get a few soft ones themselves.
    Our set up in defense has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigdaddymac

Unfortunately from yesterday’s performance that has to be it for Jason Flynn every other player did something of note I can’t even remember Flynn on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Pitch in good shape, cmon lads get stuck in today, no social distancing

Haven't managed to have one kick out go shorter than the 45... dinosaur stuff.
    Even worse than under Walsh.

Won't beat Dublin with inferior players if you're giving more possessions away.

Imagine Ireland trying to beat New Zealand with no line out strategy and just randomly throwing it in while they work calls.

Our tackling is absolutely brutal. Coughing up free after free for poor technique. It really lets teams off the hook when you cant execute a basic skill.

Haven't managed to have one kick out go shorter than the 45... dinosaur stuff.
    Even worse than under Walsh.

Joyce is well known to have no regard for kick out strategies so don't expect to see one develop.

• Advertisement

This is decent. Glynn , Conroy, Comer and obviously Finnerty all been very good

threeball wrote: »
    Our tackling is absolutely brutal. Coughing up free after free for poor technique. It really lets teams off the hook when you cant execute a basic skill.

Some poor ones but also some excellent ones. Glynn Conroy and Comer have all had two dispossesions each direct from solo tackles

Id like to see more of a cutting edge in attack, quick ball less lateral play, have a shot

Id like to see more of a cutting edge in attack, quick ball less lateral play, have a shot

This slow build up is manna from heaven for most teams never mind the top ones. Why we want Comer dragged out to the half back line constantly is beyond me.

threeball wrote: »
    This slow build up is manna from heaven for most teams never mind the top ones. Why we want Comer dragged out to the half back line constantly is beyond me.

Countless times I've seen someone in a good scoring position only to rethink and recycle again like we're lookin for the perfect scoring position

Let's blatantly ignore the fact they've a gale force breeze against them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sean Kelly needs to be rattling the net at the end there.

Young Finnerty is having a lovely afternoon.

Surprised O'Laoi is playing corner back.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Let's blatantly ignore the fact they've a gale force breeze against them :rolleyes:

Last week obviously hasn't removed your maroon blinkers. The breeze doesn't stop you moving the ball quickly.

Nice point there for roscommon there into the "gale force breeze"

• Advertisement

Not good from power

Advertisement