Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Joyce should seriously consider his position tonight........it’s just a joke now.

6 weeks out? PJ will have to ride it out now.

Happy for Power. Not his biggest fan but the amount of times I seen him hop the wall in Loughgeorge over the last number of months with a couple of footballs I'm happy he put in a performance. Rest isn't worth talking about. Next week tells it all.

Couple of great saves alright. Fair play to him. He cut my hair a couple of times, seems a nice lad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭HBC08

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Absolutely. When you think of it the loss to Mayo was even worse given their status as a second tier team. Shocking.

It's actually embarrassing that Galway got within a point of Mayo in the CF,We'll work on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭spurshero

Joyce should seriously consider his position tonight........it’s just a joke now.

I agree . Just to be clear Joyce was probaly my favourite player of all time . But ya can’t stand over today after what happened to us against Mayo last October or whenever in league . It’s a game to far . I have no problem getting beaten but be beaten going down swinging . Today we didn’t land a punch . We were a laughing stock no other way to put it . If Kerry wanted to they could have scored 10 goals .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Galway look back to the pre Kevin Walsh days

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    It's actually embarrassing that Galway got within a point of Mayo in the CF,We'll work on that

Do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

MfMan wrote: »
    Nothing stopping Galway players from training on their own. They don't even look remotely fit. So many things wrong they're impossible to count. Not a hope, I mean not even a sniff they'll beat Rossies in July. Shocking.

Collectively training, in house matches is what brings teams on. Today was very simliar to the trimming Galway took off Mayo in that league game in Tuam when Galway was also way off the pace.

Ended up only losing by one score against Mayo in the Connacht final and it took a late pulled down on Sean Kelly that looked like a certain goal that basically won that match for Mayo. Those type of fouls BTW will be penalties this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

MfMan wrote: »
    Nothing stopping Galway players from training on their own. They don't even look remotely fit. So many things wrong they're impossible to count. Not a hope, I mean not even a sniff they'll beat Rossies in July. Shocking.

Ah now, while I wish that were true, Ros are only ever in with at best a 50 - 50 shout against Galway. We are going to get two tankings from Kerry and Dublin also.

Incidentally for what it's worth what was Walsh's biggest defeat as manager of Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Collectively training, in house matches is what brings teams on. Today was very simliar to the trimming Galway took off Mayo in that league game in Tuam when Galway was also way off the pace.

Ended up only losing by one score against Mayo in the Connacht final and it took a late pulled down on Sean Kelly that looked like a certain goal that basically won that match for Mayo. Those type of fouls BTW will be penalties this year.

Galway lads trained plenty over the last few months and I know that for for a fact and today's performance can't be put down to that. Kerry were the hungrier of the two teams with the bit between their teeth after the grilling they took after Cork loss last year. Galway are seriously lacking in leadership and players that can influence a game when things are going against you which showed there today. Outside of Conroy and I Donnell very few players out there that could lrally the troops and look to for leadership. Were seriously lacking in experience in defence which will show up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mjp wrote: »
    Galway lads trained plenty over the last few months and I know that for for a fact and today's performance can't be put down to that. Kerry were the hungrier of the two teams with the bit between their teeth after the grilling they took after Cork loss last year. Galway are seriously lacking in leadership and players that can influence a game when things are going against you which showed there today. Outside of Conroy and I Donnell very few players out there that could lrally the troops and look to for leadership. Were seriously lacking in experience in defence which will show up this year.

We are seriously lacking a bit of pride in the Jersey........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Kerry had to make a statement today and unfortunately for Galway they were the ones they had to make the statement against.
    It's probably a concern for Galway folks that for the second time after a long layoff they get beaten out of the gate by teams that they at least should be competitive with, if not beating.

But equally it's the first game of a league that is really more like a pre season warmup competition than it is the league that we are used of.

I'd expect them to be in better shape come Connacht championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Not a whole pile to add, shocking display. Bernie Power saved those lads from a serious 30+ beating with the saves he made. Why were the backs given no help when the Kerry forwards were running riot? The amount of space and time they were given on the ball was unbelievable. Also I’d like to see Kieran Molloy given the chance to start the next day, he has serious energy and pace and need to be given the chance to prove what he can do, showed signs of it today when the game was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think you might be mixing up individual training with collective training. PJ moaned about the lack of preparation in the build up to that game today, saying 4 weeks wasn't enough and how they had to cancel a challenge they had arranged. Basically the writing was on the wall for Galway before that game and made look worse by a Kerry outfit in championship mode already.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

I think you might be mixing up individual training with collective training. PJ moaned about the lack of preparation in the build up to that game today, saying 4 weeks wasn't enough and how they had to cancel a challenge they had arranged. Basically the writing was on the wall for Galway before that game and made look worse by a Kerry outfit in championship mode already.

No I'm not mixing it up but as this is a public forum the less said the better. They were unfortunate as they were lambs to the slaughter as was clear once Cork got that late goal in Munster semi last year that Kerry would be licking their wounds and itching to take it out on whoever they face next.

There will surely be a reaction from a performance like yesterday's and let's hope they can put it together for Roscommon in the Hyde next week as losers of that will be into a relegation dogfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Yesterday was one of the worst Galway performances I've ever seen, quite possibly the absolute worst. Hard to describe the sheer awfulness of the whole miserable experience without swearing like a sailor. No positives to be taken from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

No I'm not mixing it up but as this is a public forum the less said the better. They were unfortunate as they were lambs to the slaughter as was clear once Cork got that late goal in Munster semi last year that Kerry would be licking their wounds and itching to take it out on whoever they face next.

There will surely be a reaction from a performance like yesterday's and let's hope they can put it together for Roscommon in the Hyde next week as losers of that will be into a relegation dogfight.

It's in Salthill and Galway will end up in a relegation play off now regardless of the result next Sunday as they won't be beating Dublin in round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We are seriously lacking a bit of pride in the Jersey........

Not a great jersey at all yesterday in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Disappointing to see David Burke going off injured just before half time, had an excellent half, looked back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

ClanofLams wrote:
    Disappointing to see David Burke going off injured just before half time, had an excellent half, looked back to his best.

While every player needs game time he has little to prove. They can nurse him back slowly if it's anything to worry about. The likes of N. Burke, Ja Mannion, Loftus and a few more need these games to show they can compete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

While every player needs game time he has little to prove. They can nurse him back slowly if it's anything to worry about. The likes of N. Burke, Ja Mannion, Loftus and a few more need these games to show they can compete

Agreed just he has had fair few injuries last few years it seems would be good for himself to get clean run of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Good win today, despite one or two players not up to much imo. The backs were, for the most part, solid enough.

Joseph Cooney was anonymous enough tbh. Murphy nearly got caught out again - he'd better learn quick to get rid of the ball when he has it.

Was canning playing at midfield or as an auxillary centre back there near the end?

Well that was some change to the same fixture in the league last year.

We were really really bad that day, and it continued until they sprang into life in the Tipperary game.

I cant see anyone bar Galway, Limerick or Tipperary winning it so its good to lay markers down in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Our hurling is possibly even sharper than it was in 2017. If they can improve from here thats an exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

RMAOK wrote: »
    Good win today, despite one or two players not up to much imo. The backs were, for the most part, solid enough.

Joseph Cooney was anonymous enough tbh. Murphy nearly got caught out again - he'd better learn quick to get rid of the ball when he has it.

Was canning playing at midfield or as an auxillary centre back there near the end?

It looked to me like he was just given free reign to go where he wanted, and maybe that's the plan?
    Great to see him back anyway, really hope he stays for the Summer,
    Well done to the lads today anyway, beating the champions by 6pts is a good result by any metric.
    Cooney was quite today but his physicality will be crucial in the Summer, he's got enough credit in the bank imo.
    Both the Mannions were brilliant I thought, and are stepping up to be the leaders of the team, which is important considering Joe & McInerney are winding down.
    A lot of very good performances today to be fair. Loftus, Touhey, Niland, Niall Burke all had good games.
    Whelan had a fairly good game but I still think he has another gear which hopefully we'll see in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Niland is a serious free taker.

cson wrote: »

There is nothing surprising about that to those who remember him as a minor, he was just as good then to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Fantastic in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Some contrast between the 2 teams, the hurlers going from strength to strength and the footballers, well the less said the better incase i offend someone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Punished limerick for their cynical fouling yesterday.
    Mr Kiely not happy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

is daithi injured or are management holding back him back. he will be like a caged animal when he sees the field.

Advertisement