Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr McVerry supporting lessons in how to occupy properties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

TheCitizen wrote: »
    LOL at the right wingers on here that don't like the occupy stunt. I'm not totally in agreement with all of the tactics of the Take Back the City campaign myself but they're succeeding in highlighting the issue and the lack of action relating to it.

Lol at the SJWs snowflakes who think those who think differently to them are right wingers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

NIMAN wrote: »
    People also need to realise that Dublin is now a major European capital city. Like Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin etc. It is very attractive to major employers and multi-nationals, and as a result we have tens of thousands more people looking for accommodation. This is turn drives up rent and house prices.

If you think you are going to find nice houses for little money/rent, you are sadly mistaken. Those days are gone.
    :pac: Those days have been gone a long time. Do you think it should be as expensive to rent in damp Dublin as it is in Paris, Madrid, Berlin etc.?

Seriously this is the sort of claptrap that leads to a situation where young professional people can't buy a house or end up spending all their money on renting a house in Dublin. Delusional, idiotic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

:pac: Those days have been gone a long time. Do you think it should be as expensive to rent in damp Dublin as it is in Paris, Madrid, Berlin etc.?

Seriously this is the sort of claptrap that leads to a situation where young professional people can't buy a house or end up spending all their money on renting a house in Dublin. Delusional, idiotic stuff.

The simple economics of supply and demand do that.
    And what has the weather got to do with anything? (and you call me idiotic).
    Dublin is home to probably as many major employers as Paris, Madrid etc, so why shouldn't rent be as high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I thought we weren't allowed talk about that?

fxotoole wrote: »
    Lol at the SJWs snowflakes who think those who think differently to them are right wingers
    'Snowflake' and 'SJW' among the favourite tripe slurs of alt right lunatics and turgid right wing conservatives.

The students in the Take the City Back campaign are making a valid point of protest. They're getting up of their asses and doing something about it to try to draw attention to the ridiculous cost of accommodation in this country. I always find it hilarious when alt right loons throw the 'snowflake' tag at someone who is actually trying to stand up for themselves and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting when you're the one constantly preaching at people here to help others.

He had a life of great privilege - well off family, big house, private school, universities, teaching job... and he gave it all up to help people on the streets, depending on fundraising, living in tough communities when he could have lived in a nice place and had a teaching job.

And you have the gall to say he sacrificed nothing?! I can tell you he did a lot more for people in need than preaching on the internet.

Surely he's the kind of person you'd look up to? What's your real issue with him?

No, he decided he had a vocation to the priesthood, that is a high calling and a high honour that makes all that you have listed meaningless

That was the vocation. Like hundreds of other men who became priests?

Within the Catholic Church, the richest land and property owner in the country, that could house every last homeless person and not notice it. That has scores of empty properties.

A priest is supposed to help folk. Period. Not a sacrifice but an honour.

In fact he is all talk. Fine words, demanding money and houses off others rather than from his church. All hollow .
    Never once a real offer of help. And this is what he is doing now and inciting breaking the law to do it?

And what has the weather got to do with anything?
    Dublin is home to probably as many major employers as Paris, Madrid etc, so why shouldn't rent be as high?

Supply and demand is the kernel of the problem. The supply isn't there while property in prime areas of our towns an cities are left unoccupied and abandoned.

Dublin is the capital city of a small country on the west of Europe, it should not cost the same in terms of accommodation to live in Dublin as it does in Paris etc., don't be ridiculous.

MFPM wrote: »
    I'd suggest you get yourself a history book, read it and then come back and edit or delete this idiotic sentence.

? please explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Graces7 wrote: »
    No, he decided he had a vocation to the priesthood, that is a high calling and a high honour that makes all that you have listed meaningless

That was the vocation. Like hundreds of other men who became priests?

Within the Catholic Church, the richest land and property owner in the country, that could house every last homeless person and not notice it. That has scores of empty properties.

A priest is supposed to help folk. Period. Not a sacrifice but an honour.

In fact he is all talk. Fine words, demanding money and houses off others rather than from his church. All hollow .
    Never once a real offer of help. And this is what he is doing now and inciting breaking the law to do it?
    No he is "in fact" not all talk. He has done a massive amount to help people, priest or not. And a heck of a lot more than you've ever done.

Nasty as hell to downplay all he has done. And no doubt you'd use it to defend the Catholic church when it suits, being the super contrarian that you are.

I disagree with him this time around but it doesn't change all the work he has done for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Most people don't want 'free houses' - they just want to be able to work and live in Dublin at an affordable cost.

And therein lies the absolute fantasy.

An average earner cannot, and should not be able to live in a premium area.

Until the planning laws change and we can slap up some projects style tenement blocks, it will never be affordable for street sweepers and burger flippers to buy within the M50.

• Advertisement

No he is "in fact" not all talk. He has done a massive amount to help people, priest or not. And a heck of a lot more than you've ever done.

Nasty as hell to downplay all he has done. And no doubt you'd use it to defend the Catholic church when it suits, being the super contrarian that you are.

I disagree with him this time around but it doesn't change all the work he has done for many people.

:eek:

have a lovely evening. blessings and peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I remember you were all over the ms cash thread defending her and saying let’s not jump to conclusions.

Right up till further information and facts were posted about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭MFPM

? please explain

Christians and law breaking....Martin Luther King, Bishop Tutu, Bishop Romero and on, and on, and on, and on......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

LOL at the right wingers on here that don't like the occupy stunt. I'm not totally in agreement with all of the tactics of the Take Back the City campaign myself but they're succeeding in highlighting the issue and the lack of action relating to it.
    That’s true. Before their action, nobody was aware that there was a property shortage and that rents were spiralling way beyond sane and sustainable levels. It was never mentioned in the media. People were completely unaware of hundreds of families being housed in hotels and b&bs. I met a guy last week who actually hadn’t been aware that he had been handing over the vast majority of his income every month in rent and would never be able to save a deposit for his own place. Came as a bit of a shock to him, let me tell you!

Fair play to the campaigners for bring the issue to the attention of the general populace.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I feel sorry for the Garda when elected tds and priests are encouraging people to break the law.

Something seems to be simmering here and gathering momentum and it’s not pleasant.

The Garda are the only barrier between a break down of law and order in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I can see you spent your business classes behind the bike shed riding.

It's not relevant in the least what the comparable rent is in other capitals.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    And therein lies the absolute fantasy.

An average earner cannot, and should not be able to live in a premium area.

Until the planning laws change and we can slap up some projects style tenement blocks, it will never be affordable for street sweepers and burger flippers to buy within the M50.

Not true. No reason why the state can't intervene and control the price of land as proposed 40 years ago in the Kenny report...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Supply and demand is the kernel of the problem. The supply isn't there while property in prime areas of our towns an cities are left unoccupied and abandoned.

Dublin is the capital city of a small country on the west of Europe, it should not cost the same in terms of accommodation to live in Dublin as it does in Paris etc., don't be ridiculous.

If it were sufficiently profitable these empty properties would be brought back onto the market as the reward would justify the effort and risk.

Property isn’t idle because landlords couldn’t be bothered, it’s because it’s too much risk for the reward given. I know a chap with two empty properties in the centre of town and he said because of adverse taxation on rental income he’s no justification in renting them, he’s also burned from poor tenants. Both properties are appreciating in value while empty.
    He gave them to an auctioneer who put for sale signs on them even though he has no interest in selling them, it just keeps people away from asking to rent them.

I feel sorry for the Garda when elected tds and priests are encouraging people to break the law.

Something seems to be simmering here and gathering momentum and it’s not pleasant.

The Garda are the only barrier between a break down of law and order in society.

What horsesh!te. BTW where have you been in the last few years, have you been following what has gone on in AGS?

MFPM wrote: »
    Christians and law breaking....Martin Luther King, Bishop Tutu, Bishop Romero and on, and on, and on, and on......

I thought you might be referring to that. mcverry is not in that mould and you dishonour those mighty heroes by even thinking that.

all talk and hollow talk at that. self aggrandisement.

he needs to get down to merchants quay and get his hands wet washing up with a real worker for the needy. br kevin. who never asks for money and always gets it . for the love of Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Right up till further information and facts were posted about her.

Why didn’t you stay and comment on her taking the puss looking for a free house so?

BPKS wrote: »
    Of course its not that simple, but it certainly is a contributory factor.

If you have spent your life watching the people all around you getting housing for little or nothing, weekly social welfare payments, monthly payment for every child they have, getting a medical card, back to school allowance and so on and so on, then why would they bother getting themselves into a situation where they could afford to pay out of their own pocket for education, a mortgage etc.

Is that their fault? Is that security the real purpose of the welfare state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Protest is valid in a democracy. Worked well during the water charge protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Dublin is not Paris, Paris is one of the richest areas in Europe with one of the highest wealth and GDP in Europe.  The gdp of Paris is 681 million and Dublin is less then 90 billion. Paris is the head of the fashion industry and has many multinationals with their head office located there, not back office operations here to save tax.

We are not London, New York or Paris.  We have come a long way but trying to justify the prices by comparing them to hugely wealthy international cities with many billionaires and centre of industry is crazy. Its 2007 all over again.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I have helped fundraise for years for the Peter McVerry Trust, but I’m cutting all ties with them now because of this.

Very disappointed with his comments, he has gone down a lot in my estimations, scumbag mentality.

He made exact same comments nine months ago on the Ray D'Arcy radio show.

He has form.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I agree with you that it does look like 2007 all over again, but again its simple economics.

If some landlord priced his place at €1500 per month, it would lie empty unless someone was prepared to give him that.

Yes the shortage of properties is the problem, and prices would come down if there was 50,000 extra places to live around Dublin, but there ain't.

Oh wise wise words. Thank you

People also need to realise that Dublin is now a major European capital city. Like Paris, Rome, Madrid, Berlin etc. It is very attractive to major employers and multi-nationals, and as a result we have tens of thousands more people looking for accommodation. This is turn drives up rent and house prices.

If you think you are going to find nice houses for little money/rent, you are sadly mistaken. Those days are gone.

Wages in Dublin are far higher than in Madrid or Rome, Dublin is a very wealthy city and important economic centre. For its size its hugely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

:eek:
    Well i think it's shocking that you keep on claiming Father McVerry is all talk and does nothing. What exactly is your problem with him? Because it seems pretty personal when you downplay/deny all he has done for decades.

Sher what's so great about Bishop Romero? Wasn't he, as you said, just doing what is expected by his vocation?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Risk, Risk, Risk.
    Landlords are expected to hand over a €300-€500k asset to strangers with a €1500 deposit, the law is structured so tenants are safe to overstay and stop paying and probably get to stay for six months at this carry on, and then get the sympathy of every bleeding heart who listens.

Then there is damage to property that needs to be repaired. Our local council have substantial empty property but much of that was left uninhabitable by previous tenants who likely were moved to another good house.

If landlords are expected to take that risk the potential profits need to be substantial.

With enough knowledge of the law combined with hard neck. Non paying tenants can remain in situ for two years and if they completely trash the place face no sanction.

Advertisement