Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission up for greenway from Youghal to Midleton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

€10 million allocated for the greenway.
    10m investment for greenways in Cork Midleton and Youghal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

deRanged wrote: »
    €10 million allocated for the greenway.
    10m investment for greenways in Cork Midleton and Youghal

Is this the same money reallocated ?I thought it was already funded ... ( Not the board walk through the marsh part ,but the old railway line )
    It was full speed ahead till march , but I haven't seen much happening since then ( haven't really looked either )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is this the same money reallocated ?I thought it was already funded ... ( Not the board walk through the marsh part ,but the old railway line )
    It was full speed ahead till march , but I haven't seen much happening since then ( haven't really looked either )

As RiddlinRussel has posted in the Greenways thread, I think this is about the source of the funding changing:

https://irishcycle.com/2020/11/09/32861/
    Government funding of €63.5 million is to go to greenway projects across Ireland, with the Government waiving the normal requirement for councils or other State bodies to part-fund the projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Last I heard they were going to do it in small sections rather than a lot at one time. That could be pure hearsay mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Last I heard they were going to do it in small sections rather than a lot at one time. That could be pure hearsay mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

work is still under way, early next year the boardwalk its due to open. phase 2 of the Greenway
    is going ahead.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eB3_KPV9vM

Wow ,fair dues to youghal ...
    That's seperate to the greenway yeah ?
    As in the greenway will follow the railway to the old station ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yep two different routes.

yes thats the boardwalk extension on the beach. The start of the Greenway will be at the old railway station which is fairly close to it.

Construction works starting 2021, completion late 2022.
    Cork Co. Co. press release.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    Construction works starting 2021, completion late 2022.
    Cork Co. Co. press release.

Construction began in Feb of this year. Phase 1 was clearing the track, they are now well into phase 2 which involves clearing all the remaining railway tracks.

Youghal Greenway progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This will save them the bother of reinstating the train service

The railway was not coming back.it was either a Greenway or nothing. If it was nothing the land would be given back to the farmers. Since it is going to be a Greenway the land is still owned by Irish Rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

If the people of Youghal, Killeagh and Mogeely are so keen to use a train service to Cork, why are the car parks at the stations in Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Glounthaune and Little Island way below capacity every day since the line reopened?

Rail isn't viable when so few people are commuting to the city centre. It's barely viable to Midleton with a much higher population and proximity to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

omicron wrote: »
    If the people of Youghal, Killeagh and Mogeely are so keen to use a train service to Cork, why are the car parks at the stations in Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Glounthaune and Little Island way below capacity every day since the line reopened?

Rail isn't viable when so few people are commuting to the city centre. It's barely viable to Midleton with a much higher population and proximity to the city.

This assumes that everyone who uses the train also owns a car, and doesn't walk, cycle or get dropped off, so unless you got figures instead of an anecdote?

Theres a bus every hour to Cork city. Train station in Cork is too far from the city center and the station in Youghal is too far from the town center. Midleton to Cork train is not making money so not a hope of a line reopening to Youghal. The estimated cost to reopen the line would be nearly 100 million. Who is going to invest that money in a white elephant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

nokiatom wrote: »
    Theres a bus every hour to Cork city. Train station in Cork is too far from the city center and the station in Youghal is too far from the town center. Midleton to Cork train is not making money so not a hope of a line reopening to Youghal. The estimated cost to reopen the line would be nearly 100 million. Who is going to invest that money in a white elephant?

What would the annual costs have been since 1988 to maintain it and do the necessary works to keep the line available for active service? less than 100 million, IE abandoned it because they knew they could get away with it, whereas if they wanted to formally shut the line permanently they'd have had to maintain it for 10 years afterwards.

What would the annual costs have been since 1988 to maintain it and do the necessary works to keep the line available for active service? less than 100 million, IE abandoned it because they knew they could get away with it, whereas if they wanted to formally shut the line permanently they'd have had to maintain it for 10 years afterwards.

the last passenger service was in 1963...why do you think they done that? especially when very few people had cars

• Registered Users Posts: 46 pukeko

The current situation we find ourselves in can only add to the reasons for converting the line to greenway. More people will be working remotely. Less people travelling the roads and commuting daily. More local amenities for people are required, in my view.

If (and it's a big IF) there would be a major upsurge in commuting numbers to cork in the future then yes a rail line would be fantastic. But for now it would be a massive plus for the area to have a safe walkway\cycleway for locals to enjoy.

I really hope they project isn't further delayed as i am very much looking forward to using this new greenway with my family, as are any neighbours and friends i have spoken to.

Well done to all involved in the project.

• Advertisement

pukeko wrote: »
    This paragraph is from the planning report available online:

"The status of the Midleton to Youghal railway is disused. The railway property is operated by Iarnrod Eireann and ownership is vested in Coras Iompair Eireann. Permission to develop, maintain and manage the proposed greenway by Cork County Council will be subject to a licence from Coras Iompair Eireann. The ownership status of the property will therefore remain unchanged and this
    arrangement will provide for the protection of the railway corridor for future rail use and facilitate community and economic gain in the interim."

If there is a future requirement for a rail line then it will still be available. In fact, leaving the line unused and derelict will put it at greater risk of never being available again.

The Greenway project is a no-brainer in my opinion and provides the best public use of this land currently.
    The options were: 1. Give the land back to the farmers and the rail line disappear. 2.build a Greenway and the land still be owned by Irish Rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Had an unexpected day off so decided to go to youghal and check what was going on in the station and as it was such a nice day also walked around youghal itself and it’s amazing what a bit of sun can do for places.

Nothing that out of the ordinary and the whole station site is fenced in and something I didn’t expect to see was that the base of the turntable is still there which from memory there was discussion on this forum about could one of the two turntables in north Esk would be the youghal one, but it obviously wasn’t.

Also as i got the bus I was able so see that at least up to Mogeely(and likely all the way to Middleton) is cleared and if there wasn’t a greenway happening you’d think they were reinstating the railway line.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

Midleton to Mogeely is nearly open actually: tar and all!

You reckon? A lot of people now seem to expect to work from home for at least part of their week.

Maybe it's just the people I know.

We'll know a lot in a few weeks time: I usually seem to notice heaviest traffic in mid October or so.

Road traffic levels have been back up to the pre pandemic state for some time so go figure.

It's picking up now alright. No doubt about it.

Are they likely to open it in stages ?

Midleton to killeagh, would be good , seems a long way off opening from the youghal side ..

lots of permanent high green security fencing on the the midleton side , probably due to the distillery,around the station car park ,housing estates ect .. but not a very inviting way to start your walk .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I believe people are using Midleton to Mogeely already.

I don't think it's likely to formally open in stages, but I have no insider info.

I think more likely you'll have what's happening now where sections are in-use informally before it's formally opened. I was able to do all of the Dungarvan greenway before they formally opened it, for instance.

• Advertisement

Drone video of the Greenway taken last May. The turntable was buried many years ago and it has been dug out again and is for restoration.

Progress on the turntable at Youghal

that looks excellent! I didn't expect them to restore it at all.

I'm open to correction but I think there's only one other in the country

There's more than that, a handful are in operational condition, the rest are derelict or infilled.

The renovation so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

There is one in Tralee, Connolly and the Sugar factory in Mallow tho the latter is surrounded in trees so you cant see it unless you look for it.

Not to say there isnt more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any updates on the greenway, Cork Co Co say it would be ready end 2022?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The latest on the Greenway. The white box you see is the turntable being restored

So now summer 2023

Summer 2023 for midleton mogeely .. I think. ( which will be the busiest part. )

Hopefully they'll open youghal to redbarn or even further at the same time .. maybe ?

I think the middle part mogeely to halfway between killeagh and youghal isn't opening till next year .. hope I'm wrong

Looks great though ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Taking an absolute eternity to open. Ridiculous.

I agree, opening the two end and leaving the middle piece to next year or 2025

the section from Midleton train station looks ready to use from (what you can see from the station). I can't wait to try it out on the bike.

It's supposed to be opened as far as mogeely soon , I think you'll be waiting a bit longer for more though ..

I'm intrigued to see how the budget has stretched on this, expecting it to be stratosphere.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That video sums up why a rail line isn't really viable. It mostly passes through large swathes of open countryside with big distances between the tiny settlements along the way.

Just two small villages in a 16 mile stretch, not viable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Any update on this?

Cllr Danielle Twomey East Cork

·

Update on the Midleton to Youghal (MY) greenway

The team progressing the development of the MY (Midleton-Youghal) Greenway has advised of the following update to members of the East Cork Municipal District - the current aim is to open the Midleton - Mogeely section of the Greenway track in October 2023 (date to be confirmed) with the aim to open the Mogeely-Youghal section of track in early-mid 2024.

I was so hopeful the Midleton to Mogeely would be open for the summer, although knowing there was huge delays I suppose this was me being overly positive.

However I am glad we have a clearer timeline, as a lot of my constituents have been requesting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Not just two small villages. Mogeely Station has a significant hinterland including Castlemartyr and Ladysbridge which are highly populated dormitory areas for Cork City, the same can be said to a certain extent about Killeagh. Youghal itself is a significant town with a significant population commuting to Cork City.

If there is any doubt about the above, just consider the massive traffic volumes on the N25.

While greenways are all the current rage, the MY greeway has little to offer from a scenic perspective as the majority of it is a straight line ribbon of tarmac running between trees and hedges with little of interest to look at.

IMHO, the investment would have been better spent put towards the reinstatement of the rail link, particularly as we are all being told to ditch the car.

this has been argued about for years and years, no one is interested in investing money in it as it would turn out to be a white elephant. Tens of thousands of cars pass Midleton every day and they wont use the railway to Cork city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement